Battlefield 2: Modern Combat 360 info + Screens

Quite frankly, I'm more concerned about the framerate on the 360... it didn't appear to be so smooth in the video.

mckmas8808 said:
So did you play it yet? How does it look?
nothing Earth shattering, but pretty danged nice IMO.

The textures are a bit bland in some spots but the vehicles (all interactive) look sweet and the lighting, smoke, explosions and fire (and heat blur) all look nice. Everything seems destructble to a degree also. The bodies fly, you can shoot chunks of concrete away, the dust that flies off of walls and the holes it leaves look insane. Water looks good and you can swim in it. Very fluid game play mechanics too. The weapons look very clean and realistic.

could be better (and some more technically savvy here will no doubt point out its flaws) but for how big and how many people (24) and vehicles.... it's pretty cool.

Edit:
to add that this is a LIVE MP demo only. SP is not a part of the demo.

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh, also, this is only a 382ish meg download so the graphics may be improved in the final version.

mckmas8808 said:
WTF man. Isn't that like 2 times in a row? Is it giving you an error message?

no this is the first time it's happened, probably downloaded a dozen demo's with no problem. I dunno, it just stops at 94% every time, "download not completed", I just gave up and went back to oblivion :LOL:

edit - oh damn, i realized you were talking about BF2..haven't tried that yet.

scooby_dooby said:
no this is the first time it's happened, probably downloaded a dozen demo's with no problem. I dunno, it just stops at 94% every time, "download not completed", I just gave up and went back to oblivion :LOL:

edit - oh damn, i realized you were talking about BF2..haven't tried that yet.

what are you trying to download?

Also try selecting the download with the Remote and not the controller.

I always get downloads quitting when the controller goes to sleep, but with the remote they always complete.

Also the downloads are supposed to resume when they are aborted, so are yours actually cancelling out and eliminating the file? You may want to check in the "storage" area of the Blades and see if you have some large incomplete demo dowmnloads taking up space. I found a 650mb one last week.

Tap In said:
what are you trying to download?

Also try selecting the download with the Remote and not the controller.

I always get downloads quitting when the controller goes to sleep, but with the remote they always complete.

Also the downloads are supposed to resume when they are aborted, so are yours actually cancelling out and eliminating the file? You may want to check in the "storage" area of the Blades and see if you have some large incomplete demo dowmnloads taking up space. I found a 650mb one last week.

I was trying to DL Blazing Angels, it dies at 94% gives me a can't complete message, i try again, it resumes, 94, 95, 96 "can't complete", over and over. I deleted the partial file, tried again, same thing. My HDD has 11gb free. Strange...

On a related topic...BF2 just finished... I'm off!

mckmas8808 said:
So did you play it yet? How does it look?

pretty unimpressive, it's a multiplayer demo though, multiplayer is always a step down. compared to GRAW not really in the same league, gameplay seemed like fun, big 24 person matches with huge maps, vehicle handling was excellent, controls were nice, nice sense of scale and distance to the maps. I think it has some strategic elements too, but I wasn't able to figure those out, seems like you can order in artillery strikes and stuff.

overclocked said:
Does the demos require Goldaccount to play on live, i havent checked any game(MP) since the trial went out?

yes

but this weekend is a Gold for Free weekend so be sure to log in and try it out.

i have to say i'm impressed with the demo... the graphics really do pretty much hold up to GRAW multiplayer (not single player obviously, but seems fairer to compare multi against multi).

the one map available is fun and well designed

the game is fun to play... in my mind it plays much like halo (especially with the vehicles) but where people actually die when you hit them rather than having to empty an entire clip only to have them run away and regenrate their shields.

overall from my brief playing with the demo it's a definate thumbs up and i will be buying this game.

The negatives:

visible aliasing (more so than GRAW multi imo)
Controls don't seem entirely intuitive... haven't yet played around with trying to change them, nor do i know how much you can in fact change them in the demo.
i keep getting my arse handed to me

Just got my 360 yesterday (whoo hoo!).

Based on the Live demo, Battlefield 2: Modern Combat for the 360 looks to be the exact same game as was previously released for the Xbox. It looks better, but it still looks like the same console game. Dumbed down and very arcadey.

I've got over 500 hours in the PC versions of BF2 (regular and Special Forces), and it is my opinion that all the console versions of this game are just steaming piles of crap. Seriously, they are inferior in every way imaginable. I don't want to start a war here, but it would be disengenuous of me not to state what I perceive to be an obvious fact. The graphics and gameplay of this game are nowhere near what you could have enjoyed on even a relatively low-end PC for almost a year now.

It would seem that these nextgen consoles have quite a ways to go before we get gameplay and visuals that rival what can currently be had on a PC. (yes, GRAW is not that impressive either)

@rusty
This game is not even in the same league as Halo. The only thing this game has in common with Halo is that both have guns and vehicles.

NRP said:
@rusty
This game is not even in the same league as Halo. The only thing this game has in common with Halo is that both have guns and vehicles.

To him, there is a similarity to Halo... there's no need to say that he might be wrong because it's an opinion.

Well I've never played BF2 on PC but I have played Halo 2 (for a year) CoD2 (4mos straight) and GRAW. I like them all a lot but I'll tell you, I can not stop playing this Demo. Sooooo, so, so much is going on around you at one time, it's amazing. You can do so many things and there is such variety with the classes and the vehicles. Plus sniping is very rewarding feeling. If you out think your opponent, you are rewarded.

CoD2 turns into a Sniper/Shotgun/MP44 battle and GRAW is a totally different slower paced experience. This game is digital crack. ;)

If it holds up over the next 10 days for me. I'll be buying it just to learn the other 15 maps. :p

*Removed since comment had already been made by another poster.

Back