Resistance 2

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=226865

Release: Fall 2008
Platform: PlayStation 3

-One campaign focusing on Nathan Hale across USA, 1 player
-One separate story based campaign supporting 2 players offline, 8 players Online
-Online Multiplayer (dedicated servers) supporting 60 people, lobbies for individual squads
-Classes for online, templates include Heavy, Special Ops, Medic
-New vehicles including Chameleon (Stalker with cloak)
-Partial randomized geometry in level spots
-Insane stat tracking coupled with MyResistance.net

I saw the screens! Awesome!

Watch out, Killzone 2 :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Ha ha. I read that thread. There is a lot of excitement. I am cautiously happy.

Resistance 1 has great gameplay (Still playing every weekday). I just hope the good traits will be preserved in 2.

There was also a related IGN forum post:

RESISTANCE 2

I just got my latest GameInformer and its cover feature is Resistance 2!!!!!!

Checking it out now... will update. (didn't see this on first two pages so assumed it hasn't been posted)

EDIT 1: HUGE cooperative game... EIGHT-PLAYER story-driven campaign along side single-player campaign. SIXTY-PLAYER Competitive modes... HUGE United States Landscapes as backdrops.

EDIT 2: "It is, in short, a tour de force for the untapped might of the PlayStation 3"

EDIT 3: Narrative stays with Hale the whole time... not Rachel. Hale shot down in Iceland, escapes to US and becomes part of program called Sentinels...

EDIT 4: Chameleon.. Stalker with total cloaking ability

EDIT 5: Overcoming stigma that boss encounters don't work in FPS games..

EDIT 6: Eight player coop over PSN, two player local

EDIT 7: CLASSES! Unique character with one of three basic templates... tank with heavy weaponry, special ops for distance (bullseye modified with zoom), medic

I'm READING FAST!

http://boards.ign.com/ps3_general_bo...7131205/p1/?13

I cant make my own thread, stupid gaf mods., someone make a thread!

EDIT 8: Online matching... standard difficulty discarded for scaled challenges for team skill..

EDIT 9: Partially randomized geometry... levels are different with each playthrough

EDIT 10: again... 60 players online. want sense of epic b attle.. dont want fast-furious gameplay to be focus, more focused on squad v squad.

EDIT 11: will log into smaller four-to-eight man lobbies for each squad... encouraging communication and camaraderie, squad will be tasked witha particular objective. careful level design aims to deliver intense combat zones or small team conflicts that flow within arena of larger battle.

EDIT 12: Dedicated gaming community with stat servers for faster matchmaching than any console game of 2007. full-featured profile pages through myresistance.net will incorporate social networking concepts. open clan and party system to encourage community...no player invites needed.

EDIT 13: Aiming to deliver mobile-phone-quality sound.

EDIT 14: Futher tapped power of PS3... more enemies onscreen, better AI, better lighting and shaders (SCREENSHOTS LOOK AMAZING!!!). More comples normal mapping and detail mapping combine to deliver textures that look amazing from afar and at extremely close distances.

EDIT 15: AI getting a lot more attention.. will scaled on-the-fly to players perspective and viewpoint... aka enemies cloesr to the player will actually have more spohisicated AI routines than those further away. assailants in your direct field of view received heightened intelligence. easily more cunning than before

sorry for typos... typing fast

EDIT 16: listened to complaints... working on solution to long checkpoints and health system. not positive what final solution will be.

EDIT 17: "Our time playing was a blast"... each character class contributes in a unique way and "we loved the strategy-laden medic"... unique sense of teamwork

EDIT 18: Mysterious "Cloven"

EDIT 19: "Resistance 2 will be too epic to dismiss as anything but one of the biggest, boldest, and most high-reaching titles of 2008. It's a game that won't be ignored." [END ARTICLE]

RELEASE: FALL 2008

The highlighted item is the one I would like to see the most.

Nice features and it looks better than Resistance 1 (why should it not?). although not even close to what the hype at GAF made one think (lol, somehow I should have predicted that!). One ss with drop ship and soldiers comming out and a monster upclose looks a lot like Halo 3+ (and different color tones) although dunno about the lighting since they are scans. ;)

If it runs at 60fps then that really is impressive.

gaffers were going nuts and I saw the thread go from 5 pages to something close to 20 less than an hour(I think?) :LOL:

A random prediction here, but its gonna play out the way Gears and Halo 3 did for the X360

KZ2 will be touted for its visuals over RFoM2 (the same way critics did for GeoW to H3) while critics will praise Resistance's MP over KZ2 (not implying that KZ2 MP will suck, but critics prefer RFoM's MP)

Of course, things can always change and the outcome could be totally different ;)

Aside the stuff pulled out of my arse, im definately excited for this game. And should the game release this year, thats another title to look forward to :smile:

Nice features and it looks better than Resistance 1 (why should it not?). although not even close to what the hype at GAF made one think (lol, somehow I should have predicted that!). One ss with drop ship and soldiers comming out and a monster upclose looks a lot like Halo 3+ (and different color tones) although dunno about the lighting since they are scans. ;)

If it runs at 60fps then that really is impressive.

Nah, 30fps should be just fine. Even R1 feels very smooth and responsive with 40 online players. Leave hyperactive 60fps FPS to Unreal. Insomniac should focus on gameplay innovation, story and the sense of scale to capture the essence of an "alien" invasion, IMO of course. :)

Something tells me the scale in Resistance2 will be completely different than that in KZ2, and complicate comparisons.

Remember the first? Take that and add more of everything, apparently. Huge locales, lots more AIs etc. etc.

I think it looks great from what I can tell from the scans, much improved detail and lighting over the first. I can't wait to see how it shapes up as development matures too..Insomniac quite typically improve their polish over the dev cycle.

Quite surprised this is hitting in 08 too! IMO KZ2 will have a tough time on its hands going up against this, probably in quite similar timeframes!

Yeah, I was thinking of KZ2 too at the back of my mind. KZ2 is human invading Helghast. R2 is Chimeran invading human. But we get early gameplay info about R2, so that makes me feel more comfortable.

I guess we'll have to wait and see how many of the promises get downgraded? A lot of games promise a lot, but then never get there, so while I agree the features sound great, I am taking the wait and see approach lol

EDIT: Heard there is a rumored San Francisco level ?

Seems so looking at the cover :)

6wrogux.jpg

I assume posting the cover is OK.

I guess we'll have to wait and see how many of the promises get downgraded?

Insomniac have a pretty excellent track record of delivering on promises. Given how they approached the first game, where they were conservative about feature promises (e.g. they initially announced 32 player online before later bumping it to 40), I doubt they'd announce anything unless they were certain of it.

Insomniac have a pretty excellent track record of delivering on promises. Given how they approached the first game, where they were conservative about feature promises, I doubt they'd announce anything unless they were certain of it.

That would be great news

Multiplayer sounds awesome, screens look pretty sweet, various features sound awesome. I'm almost 100% sure I'll pick up a PS3 next fall so really lookin forward to trying this out.

Once again, Game Informer with the big exlcusive out of nowhere.

Back