Red Dead Redemption 2

Yeah the way they are labelled really screams store items to me.
No different from the previous game that was released over 8 years ago. <shrug>

Don't want it? Don't buy it. They're not part of the main story.

Tommy McClain

No different from the previous game that was released over 8 years ago. <shrug>

Don't want it? Don't buy it. They're not part of the main story.

Tommy McClain
I don't understand. It states they're for story mode. RDR 1 had microtransactions for the main story?

I don't understand. It states they're for story mode. RDR 1 had microtransactions for the main story?
Yes, RDR1 had single player DLC. Over half the add-ons added content for single player. Allthough most were cosmetics, Undead Nightmare added an all new story.

Per Rockstar, the RDR2 Special Edition content is additional single player content but not part of the main story...

Tommy McClain

DLC mission content isn't what I'm talking about. This isn't worth continuing. I've expressed my dislike for possible ways they're monetizing it, that's all. Back to discussion.

No, RDR1 didn't have microtransactions but did have in game currency (obviously).

What's including in the RDR2 pre-order bonuses does hint at something larger - the ability to boost "core" abilities like Dead Eye or have it be more difficult to knock you off your horse... not exactly the same thing as walking up to the store and buying bait.

No, RDR1 didn't have microtransactions but did have in game currency (obviously).

What's including in the RDR2 pre-order bonuses does hint at something larger - the ability to boost "core" abilities like Dead Eye or have it be more difficult to knock you off your horse... not exactly the same thing as walking up to the store and buying bait.

I still consider some of the RDR1 DLC as microtransactions. Some add-ons were $1 and it had lots of single player boosting. The Deadly Assassin outfit would generate your Dead Eye meter at twice the speed. You receive more fame with each kill using the Golden Gun Weapon pack. Get guns & ammo at half the cost with the Savy Merchant outfit. Get double the amount of animal skins when hunting with the Expert Hunter outfit.

The RDR2 add-on content seem to be at least a continuation if not evolution of the RDR1 add-on content.

Tommy McClain

I still consider some of the RDR1 DLC as microtransactions. Some add-ons were $1 and it had lots of single player boosting. The Deadly Assassin outfit would generate your Dead Eye meter at twice the speed. You receive more fame with each kill using the Golden Gun Weapon pack. Get guns & ammo at half the cost with the Savy Merchant outfit. Get double the amount of animal skins when hunting with the Expert Hunter outfit.

The RDR2 add-on content seem to be at least a continuation if not evolution of the RDR1 add-on content.

Tommy McClain

In that case, I'd say RDR1 did have microtransactions... I wasn't aware of any of those things as DLC, I thought they were only part of expansions or pre-orders.

A lot of those were available as pre-order but were eventually made available to everyone else. Some were free & others had a fee. Though most of content is free now especially if you buy the GotY Edition. So if you wait long enough you'll probably get all the RDR2 pre-order content for free too.

Tommy McClain

I'm buying the base game. More than half the of amazing things that happen in Rockstar games are the random things that occur between missions. I've received bonus missions for games before and not a single one is memorable. :nope:

This close to a new Rockstar game release I'd usually be willing the days to pass quickly but Jurassic Park Evolution is out next week, Red Faction Remastered next month, Okami on Switch in August and Spider-Man in September. :runaway:

I'm buying the base game. More than half the of amazing things that happen in Rockstar games are the random things that occur between missions. I've received bonus missions for games before and not a single one is memorable. :nope:

This close to a new Rockstar game release I'd usually be willing the days to pass quickly but Jurassic Park Evolution is out next week, Red Faction Remastered next month, Okami on Switch in August and Spider-Man in September. :runaway:

DA:O I think had one of the best if not THE best launch/collectors's digital content ever included in a deluxe/collector's edition of a game, IMO. The Stone Prisoner (later made available for free to everyone after a few months). Mostly just for one of the most memorable characters I've ever had the pleasure of adding to a party, Shale (A Stone Golem who was originally a female dwarf).

Other than that, yeah, most launch DLC (pre-order or deluxe/collector's edition) has either been underwhelming or included items that I never used because they ruined the early game power progression.

Which brings me to this stratified launch strategy for RDR. I have to say I LOVE that they separated the collector's edition stuff from the actual "game" so that you can mix and match. IE - I don't want the content in the deluxe edition, but might possibly want the physical collector's stuff (memorabilia). The only place I see they seriously messed up, however, is not including the physical map in the collector's edition.

I'd have to get the Special edition if I wanted that, which I'm not sure I want. The Hideout sounds cool, but does that mean there's no way to have a hideout in game without buying the Special edition or higher? Or does that just mean you can start with a hideout? And what exactly IS the hideout? Maybe I don't even want or need it.

Regards,
SB

I'd have to get the Special edition if I wanted that, which I'm not sure I want. The Hideout sounds cool, but does that mean there's no way to have a hideout in game without buying the Special edition or higher? Or does that just mean you can start with a hideout? And what exactly IS the hideout? Maybe I don't even want or need it.

You have hideouts. Have a read through of IGN's impressions, linked earlier in the thread, for their experience from a few hours of hands on gameplay.

edit: actually I may be confusing hideouts with camps (for your gang).

Last edited by a moderator:
SB - you didn't play the first? The Gang Hideouts are just triggered events where you get to murder a gang of outlaws and take their stuff. Good for exp boosts and adds another little side quest. With RDR, I think the PS3 had an extra Gang Hideout that the XB didn't get.

It just means when you're riding around and come to a valley it may seem almost as if something should be there that isn't (like it's an old campsite beyond the bend), but if you got the Special Edition when you come to that area, there'll actually be people there you can shoot.

Thanks guys, then the only reason I'd want to get the special edition would be for the map. Bleh. That should have been included in the collector's box.

All of this just reminds me of how incredibly cheap games are now compared to the late 80's and early 90's. Back then games cost 2-3x what games cost now, but you also got a lot of stuff when you bought the game. Pretty much every single RPG on PC came with a cloth map and manual, for example. And usually other things that are now associated with collector's editions.

Regards,
SB

Agreed, looks fantastic. Really happy with the foliage as well, that was always an issue with past gen.

6min gameplay in 4k from PS4 Pro. Looks stunning, love all the volumetric lighting and fog, world seems pretty dense too with nice AO. I'm not big on wild west themed games but RDR was enjoyable so gonna play this too.
stunning vistas, can't wait to find the secret horse breeds of the game, it was so fun in the original. I hope the PC version comes out at launch date -it'd be fine if it comes out later too, but a PC version is a must, imo-. I heard rumours that there isn't going to be a PC version, but those rumours seemed shady to say the least.

Which console is running the gameplay video? It looks really good.

Back