PC users tanking User Score for Red Dead Redemption 2

One thing I think of when seeing some reviews from "PC" users is I wonder how many of them are Chinese? China has a massive PC gaming culture with a virtually non-existent console culture. Seeing the broken English kind of reinforces that.

This is more prevalent now that Steam has exposed Chinese gamers to much more Western games than they had previously been exposed to. On Steam it is now fairly common to see user comments for Western games in Chinese now. Same goes for Korea although consoles do have a tiny foothold there at least.

It could in some ways be cultural backlash to it being console only and thus "ignoring" the Chinese market.

Regards,
SB

Main reason would be that there are plenty of games on XB1 that are also on PC, so the 'where's the PC version' comments would be more likely to appear under the XB machine. And I doubt many people will complain on both platforms.

And though sad that these would-be suers feel the need to review bomb, they don't have any other avenue to express a want for RDR2 on PC. For those unable to just live with it, trying to pressurise R* into a port wouldn't seem unfair. It's also a 'lesson' for other developers, that they should ensure they have a PC version too or they will also face the rage of the PC gamers. Which amounts to squat because the user review will have zero bearing on sales, but at least these sad-sacks aren't sending hate emails and death threats for lack of a PC version...
still not sure the havoc there is caused by PC users though. It looks like most of the extremely negative reviews of the XB1 version come from PS4 owners who seem to work for the company, so to speak.

Thinking about it, it could affect PS4 hardware sales.

still not sure the havoc there is caused by PC users though. It looks like most of the extremely negative reviews of the XB1 version come from PS4 owners who seem to work for the company, so to speak.

Evidence of that would be a fascinating read.

Uhh.. whut?

Strongly disagree. I dont think its tanked by PS4 users. I see no evidence.

So you're saying the reviews which indeed cite PC version concern are not made by PC users? Or did you not read the 0 or 1 star reviews? Or did you do actual investigation to see the other games those accounts reviewed?

Yes exacly, its just how you want to see it. I also think its the PS4 users being sad about the 1X having double the res and more stable framerate. It wouldnt suprise me as PS4 users in general seem toxic to me. There certainy also are pc warriors that wanted the game badly and react it off. Could be both.

A PC version could be in the works though.
https://rockstarintel.com/red-dead-redemption-2-companion-app-files-hint-to-pc-version/

Im personally not at all intrested in the game besides the graphics, its the 1800's/wild west i dont like. Would much rather see a port of HZD, but that wont ever happen :)

Let's not start the tinfoil conspiracy stuff. Me being primarily a PC gamer, I have witnessed PC gamers tanking ratings/scores on being scorned over games not showing up on the PC platform or community mods no-longer working. Steam comes to mind...

Which bits look like that? Please cite.
In what way? People looking to buy a new console will see user reviews of RDR2 on Metacritic, ignoring the professional review scores, and choose to buy a PS4 instead of XB1?

In what way? People looking to buy a new console will see user reviews of RDR2 on Metacritic, ignoring the professional review scores, and choose to buy a PS4 instead of XB1?

There are allegedly significant performance differences between RD2 on X1X vs. X1/PS4-Pro which might influence sales. I assume that was his point. I'm not sure if RD2 has that market power (yet) but if that would happen with GTA6 the thought isn't far fetched.

What has that got to do with user scores? The performance difference is something else entirely. Or is the theory that PS4 Warriors are review bombing the XB1 version of the game to scare potential XB1X customers away from buying the console??

I have noticed that many gamers that still follow gaming everyday in their 30s have become rabid fanboys.

This is why old online communities are worse now than when the average user was 16 years old: young people don't join them, normal people don't frequent them often because they have work and family to care about and are scared off by fanboy losers that live there 24/7 to give a meaning to their sad pathetic lives.

So I am not surprised that this is happening.

Let's not start the tinfoil conspiracy stuff. Me being primarily a PC gamer, I have witnessed PC gamers tanking ratings/scores on being scorned over games not showing up on the PC platform or community mods no-longer working. Steam comes to mind...
well, so if a PC version isn't in the sight, and from your experience you can tell there are also PC users which are green with envy..., ok, but I still think they are a minority. Not enough to make a lot of noise in the Metacritic reviews, imho.

When I was a PC gamer only, back in early 2000s, I used to think consoles were inferior. But then, like Castlevania SOTN goes, one fateful night I met a Belgian PC gamer who also had consoles and told me "consoles aren't inferior, they are just different". That made me rethink..., maybe I was wrong, maybe I wasn't. But that's the most radical attitude I've seen in PC gamers, compared to the console wars which has a different sense of scale.

What makes you think it might be PC users? Brit for instance, or DSoup seem to share that opinion, but I am not entirely sure.

What has that got to do with user scores? The performance difference is something else entirely. Or is the theory that PS4 Warriors are review bombing the XB1 version of the game to scare potential XB1X customers away from buying the console??
thinking of it that way.., just imagine how Xbox One X bundles featuring RDR2 and smart offers can potentially sell tons of Xbox One X consoles, which won't make PS4 users happy. Because ideally RDR2 should serve as huge drive for enhanced PS4 Pro sales, but people usually want the best experience.

That's not only visual fidelity but also the Xbox One X is whisper quiet itself, something that people don't care about, but when couple with a better experience to play RDR2, factors that were overlooked before become more evident.

Also there was some advantage for the PS4 prior to the release of the game 'cos PS4 users were getting some online and offline content before Xbox users, and now I don't see anyone talking about that.

I have noticed that many gamers that still follow gaming everyday in their 30s have become rabid fanboys.

This is why old online communities are worse now than when the average user was 16 years old: young people don't join them, normal people don't frequent them often because they have work and family to care about and are scared off by fanboy losers that live there 24/7 to give a meaning to their sad pathetic lives.

So I am not surprised that this is happening.
the word sad implies the everyone would like to be happy... But maybe sadness and happiness are temporary states of mind.

And who is to say what you have to be happy about? Here we talk about personal well-being, which is one of the hardest things to achieve in this life.

Happiness is another thing entirely.

Haven't studied how console generations change but from my personal experience, the world might me maturing, only after tons of forum bans and stuff like that which silenced people who were true console warriors -sometimes unfairly treated btw, but just sometimes-, but the console wars is always present.

well, so if a PC version isn't in the sight, and from your experience you can tell there are also PC users which are green with envy..., ok, but I still think they are a minority. Not enough to make a lot of noise in the Metacritic reviews, imho.

When I was a PC gamer only, back in early 2000s, I used to think consoles were inferior. But then, like Castlevania SOTN goes, one fateful night I met a Belgian PC gamer who also had consoles and told me "consoles aren't inferior, they are just different". That made me rethink..., maybe I was wrong, maybe I wasn't. But that's the most radical attitude I've seen in PC gamers, compared to the console wars which has a different sense of scale.

What makes you think it might be PC users? Brit for instance, or DSoup seem to share that opinion, but I am not entirely sure.

Cyan, what do you want me and others to say? That there is a large gang of Playstation fanatics tanking XB1-X RDR2 scores!? More than likely there are some (trolling), but not at the rate that you're expecting. Most of the comments and criticism are very PC gamer oriented. At the end of the day, RDR2 is a success across all platforms, and that's what matters most.

Also, the scores are levelling out now. The actual negative reviews for both versions are centring on controls and tedium. No-one in their right mind would waste time writing a negative review for a rival platform on account of trying to sway buyers. Who the heck buys a console based on the user reviews of cross-platform games on metacritic?! Among the many purchasing factors, a totally imbalanced user-score for RDR2 is supposed to notably affect sales? As if people who were researching wouldn't read about XB1X's superior performance but would read nonsense user reviews and choose PS4Pro as a result?

There may be a handful of people not in their right mind writing irrational reviews, but it's silly IMO to consider console wars to be the driving factor here. If that were the case, why are the user scores balancing towards the same value as more people are involved?

Also, the scores are levelling out now. The actual negative reviews for both versions are centring on controls and tedium. No-one in their right mind would waste time writing a negative review for a rival platform on account of trying to sway buyers. Who the heck buys a console based on the user reviews of cross-platform games on metacritic?! Among the many purchasing factors, a totally imbalanced user-score for RDR2 is supposed to notably affect sales? As if people who were researching wouldn't read about XB1X's superior performance but would read nonsense user reviews and choose PS4Pro as a result?
envy and jealousy play a big factor on those reviews. At least form personal experience. I had a friend in the late 90s who had purchased a PlayStation and he tried to steal my friends away so they would play his PS games with him instead of playing my PC games at my house.

Oddly enough, the people who played PC games like Need for Speed 3 or Operation Wolf with me on the PC, preferred to play PC games with me, although the PS1 guy had some really great games.

You might live and an agnostic country when it comes to consoles, but here where I live you can see XBX copies of RDR2 in Game stores hanging on a rope and surrounded by PS4 copies, or Game employees trolling the Xbox. Not to mention how the atmosphere can be in some forums... with mods helping certain users....to silence the odd minority...
There may be a handful of people not in their right mind writing irrational reviews, but it's silly IMO to consider console wars to be the driving factor here. If that were the case, why are the user scores balancing towards the same value as more people are involved?
because the fans of the PS4 who were writing bad reviews of the XBX did their part to save the PS4 sales -or so they thought- when the game came out, which is when they are most active, 'cos they love to see their favourite company thrilling, so it's not about which version sells the most software but also they expect the PS4 sells a lot of new consoles because of RDR2.

As of now, they seem to have quieted down...., perhaps.

I know PC gamers who bought a PS4 or a Xbox One X just to play RDR2, and that means more PS4 sells.

now that you mention it both scores balanced out, so the PS4 and XBX reviews have the same average, 97. User reviews have also changed, I see...

Last edited by a moderator:
Back