Red Dead Redemption 2

Glad to read this and your comments about Chapter 3. Still on 2, and I am enjoying the game... but that part where the guy gets his foot stuck almost broke me. It seemed like they purposefully made the controls difficult in order to add tension to the moment because they force to you die repeatedly before you understand a new control scheme that you haven't yet been introduced to.

There is more buggering about with established controls in a few places but it is just in a few places. Equally they are a few places where they frustratingly lock you out of a certain control mechanic, or the controls entirely, for 'dramatic effect' but any drama is overridden with frustration. If you can't control the character, crop the screen so we know we're out of control. Of course they do introduce the cinematic screen where you have to push the movement stick. It doesn't matter where, just do that. For three minutes. :runaway:

Not how many hours I've sunk into it, I reckon 30-40, and only a few minutes have annoyed so that's pretty good.

Can't say enough good stuff about the visuals or some of the other interactions, freedoms, story, etc..

I just hit Chapter VI and I'd say that the graphics have got better with each new environment they introduce in the story. I am really looking forward to getting back to the actual old west area of Red Dead Redemption because it just doesn't feel like a western with grass and foliage everywhere.

Anyway, you're in for a treat. :yes:

More stories please. The treasure map in someone’s arse is solid.

Playing a goodie goodie is too hard I find.l and somewhat boring and not comical

Just started and just made it to chapter 2. Liking it so far but the character portrayals don’t neatly line up with the original RDR. In fact one character in particular seems like a stark contrast to the same character in the original. Looking forward to see how the game resolves these differences.

Didn’t do any exploring in chapter one so that part of the game came off as a linear game with a tight narrative. Reminded me of TLOU in that regard.

Please tell me Arthur didn't really die? :mad: If so... FUUUUUCCCCK!!!! All that time invested into him and enjoying the path that I was leading him on. Honestly I feel stunned and bewildered by Rockstar's decision at this point. The epilogue chapters, which I just started as Marston, doesn't seem or feel right at the moment.:no:

“Only”? Sorry, not to be a snob, but a difficult trophy is one that has a 0.2% kind of rating. Again, not being snobbish or anything.

Not a reference to difficulty but how few people have progressed beyond Chapter 2. I'm mindful of the article in Gamasutra which covered the issue of most gamers never finishing games and that's really visible now with trophy completion rates visible to anybody.

Like GTA V, RDR2 is very easy. It's actually difficult to die unless you walk away from the controller, jump off a cliff or some predator gets you while you're looking at something else.

Please tell me Arthur didn't really die? :mad: If so... FUUUUUCCCCK!!!! All that time invested into him and enjoying the path that I was leading him on. Honestly I feel stunned and bewildered by Rockstar's decision at this point. The epilogue chapters, which I just started as Marston, doesn't seem or feel right at the moment.:no:

I've only played two of three missions in Chapter VI and have not read your spoiler but based on your spoiler caption title I'm assuming it will be related to this.

During cutscenes during Chapter V Arthur starts coughing which increasingly gets worse until he coughs up blood so goes to a doctor who diagnoses tuberculosis, which was incurable and fatal. I assume Arthur is going to die because even out of cutscenes he looks awful and characters are commenting on it. This would explain why Marston doesn't need to hunt down Arthur in RDR but would be uninspired to just repeat the demise of the main protagonist a second time.

While I'm still thoroughly enjoying the game and the acting and voice work is first rate, the story is dumb unless it's intended to be a story about dumb people. Chapter I has you struggling to cope with a job gone wrong in Blackwater. In Chapter II you relocate, the gang is told to keep a low profile, they ignore that, there is a big shootout and they move. In Chapter III you relocate, the gang is told to keep a low profile, they ignore that, there is a big shootout and they move. In Chapter IV <repeat Chapters II and III>. Chapter V genuinely did something new. Shocker!

At the start of Chapter VI everybody is after you but do you keep a low profile? Of course not. You have to rescue John otherwise the space-time continuum will explode but why openly confront and kill Leviticus Cornwall? Dumbest thing ever. And why does Dutch trust Micah? I watched that ledger like an accountant and Micah didn't contribute a cent. There had better be a good reason why the obvious unliked psycho in camp is even tolerated, let alone not just killed.

Last edited by a moderator:
During cutscenes during Chapter V Arthur starts coughing which increasingly gets worse until he coughs up blood so goes to a doctor who diagnoses tuberculosis, which was incurable and fatal. I assume Arthur is going to die because even out of cutscenes he looks awful and characters are commenting on it. This would explain why Marston doesn't need to hunt down Arthur in RDR but would be uninspired to just repeat the demise of the main protagonist a second time.

While I'm still thoroughly enjoying the game and the acting and voice work is first rate, the story is dumb unless it's intended to be a story about dumb people. Chapter I has you struggling to cope with a job gone wrong in Blackwater. In Chapter II you relocate, the gang is told to keep a low profile, they ignore that, there is a big shootout and they move. In Chapter III you relocate, the gang is told to keep a low profile, they ignore that, there is a big shootout and they move. In Chapter IV <repeat Chapters II and III>. Chapter V genuinely did something new. Shocker!

At the start of Chapter VI everybody is after you but do you keep a low profile? Of course not. You have to rescue John otherwise the space-time continuum will explode but why openly confront and kill Leviticus Cornwall? Dumbest thing ever. And why does Dutch trust Micah? I watched that ledger like an accountant and Micah didn't contribute a cent. There had better be a good reason why the obvious unliked psycho in camp is even tolerated, let alone not just killed.

Your right about everything (as far as lead-up), including the real ignorant moments of the game. However what I'm talking about comes later on, way later. More to do with hope and karma I guess...

Your right about everything (as far as lead-up), including the real ignorant moments of the game. However what I'm talking about comes later on, way later. More to do with hope and karma I guess...

Haha, okay none of that make sense yet! Good karma is working for me,I was just rewarded with a nice trinket (15% reduction on drain for all cores) although that would have been more welcome in Chapter III so it was with me through most of the game.

I will do a bad karma playthrough but I assume I'll be broke a lot of the time paying off bounties because having to avoid lawmen and bounty hunters will just get tedious. I'll also miss the nice discounts in shops from good karma.

Maybe he should go into the controls settings and increase look sensitivity and acceleration because this gets rid of most of the input lag he's showing in his video.

Yep. The camera is responsive (as responsive as 30Hz can be), which means there isn't a general input lag problem. There is an issue with transitioning to walking from a standstill. The delay in response varies depending on the action requested.

That said, I'm sure there are many improvements Rockstar can't make to their games, or different compromises if the customer, in general, is not happy with the controls.

No, the camera is slower than in other games.

Here's a comparison in his whole video (see the graph and the red line at the end of the video) :

He's not moving the camera. He's measuring the time it takes to move the player from a standstill, not input lag. Moving the camera (right stick) should ideally be 1 frame of input lag on a vsync'd display. That would be a real test of general input lag (sort of ... includes display lag). For an accurate comparison they should be measuring a multitude of movements or actions. This is not the case of Rise of the Tomb Raider when it came out. In that game, even moving the camera was delayed, which made it very hard to aim and frustrating to play at times. It had many frames of input lag. I don't think that RDR2 does.

Last edited:
Indeed.

But the animation reponse is still slow and this is not linked to the animation complexity. So there's an input lag problem.

This is getting into a bit of a semantic argument, but I would say that's only true if all inputs had the same delayed response. If it's only an issue moving from a standstill, then it's an animation problem, or you could call it an input lag problem specific to that input in context. I still think it's a problem, but it's a different problem.

I'm just guessing, but I think it's an intentional choice to prevent different control/animation issues. In this game, you can't "wiggle" or "skate" your player on the ground like in a lot of other games. Many games can let you do weird things like rapidly move the left stick and your player will actually move across the ground. This is done because they want the game to have immediate response, so your player will move without being rigidly tied to animation. Red Dead has some of the most physically connected foot placement you'll find in any game. Every movement is a deliberate step that is completed in a realistic manner. I'm sure that's an artistic choice. The by product of that is they need a way to make sure players aren't locked into an animation they didn't want to trigger, so forcing a more deliberate input to move is one way to solve that. My guess, is they want to prevent stuff like this:

Last edited:
is that the case for all versions of the game?

It is an animator, he was at Ubi Soft before and he was part of the team inventing Motion matching use in For Honor or The LAst of US 2. The discussion on twitter is interesting because it seems intentional

And other animator answer. We will never have the answer because Rockstar never go to GDC or SIGGRAPH:

Back