RDNA4

What do you mean by this? Without more context i'm almost positive i'm not taking this statement the way it was ment. You mentioned revenue above being dead, but it takes me back to the way I took the quoted comment. If revenue on those is dead it makes no sense to continue with the market? Is there some kind of rumor/info that AMD is going to abandon that market?
I think he means growth. We are 4 years into the console gen almost and there are what 70m-80m amd consoles out there?

What do you mean by this? Without more context i'm almost positive i'm not taking this statement the way it was ment. You mentioned revenue above being dead, but it takes me back to the way I took the quoted comment. If revenue on those is dead it makes no sense to continue with the market? Is there some kind of rumor/info that AMD is going to abandon that market?

It just the console life cycle , everyone who wants one at this price point has one but its not like PS2 era where you had like 4 massive shrinks in its life time to reduce costs and could sell it for like 99usd at the end.

If I remember last q numbers looked really bad for console and there's no reason for that to changed.

I think he means growth. We are 4 years into the console gen almost and there are what 70m-80m amd consoles out there?

It just the console life cycle , everyone who wants one at this price point has one but its not like PS2 era where you had like 4 massive shrinks in its life time to reduce costs and could sell it for like 99usd at the end.

If I remember last q numbers looked really bad for console and there's no reason for that to changed.

Ok cheers guys, if this was what was being implied maybe stagnated would have been a better word and not made someone lesser informed (like me) jump to a pretty different conclusion.

What do you mean by this?
Means this console cycle is going the way of the dodo faster than the previous one.
PS5 and Xbox sales both slumped very very hard.
but AMD has already realized that small dies, outside of extraordinaire circumstances, simply don't work.
They know.
Henceforth they shall spam hundreds of WGPs in tiled halo things, all in the name of Victory.
What has changed to simplfy that?
Nothing.
Most of the confusion surrounds the "supposed" RDNA4 being a "stop-gap" for "Radeon".
It's not and never was supposed to be, tiled halo monstrocities just got chopped off.
I think he means growth
Less growth and more units tapering off into nonexistence a lot faster than anticipated.
But then again, neither console has any games to speak of, so expected.

Ok cheers guys, if this was what was being implied maybe stagnated would have been a better word and not made someone lesser informed (like me) jump to a pretty different conclusion.
No it wouldn't be a better word, this is sales, stagnation would be flat unit shipments. Where as console chip shipments appear to be shrinking rapidly.

As far as we know it's just midrange, so midrange memory.
We can at least put our hope on that amd's patent about reversing the polarity of the neutron flow in silicon.

Same memory suggest the same performance - or bigger caches.
If it's the former then we're looking at 7600-7900GRE performance bracket.
As for the latter it's a bit doubtful that caches would inrease in single chip GPUs made on the same N5/N4 process.

Hmmm better is great but capacity has a lot to do with how well a cache performs in practice. 18 Gbps GDDR6 is a surprisingly conservative choice. Is RDNA 4 intended to go up against Blackwell?

This post’s accuracy is not substantiated. Exercise discretion and wait for verified sources before accepting its claims.
Hmmm better is great but capacity has a lot to do with how well a cache performs in practice
Yeah.
The new MALL counters are public, CnC even made an article mentioning 'em.
But there's more than just MALL.
Is RDNA 4 intended to go up against Blackwell?
Mainstream one yeah.
halo parts went the way of the dodo, so waiting for navi50 it is.
Should be RDNA5 above that.
RDNA5 replaces the entire lineup.

CnC even made an article mentioning 'em.
Typically, such minor changes result in an average performance improvement of around 0% when tested across various benchmarks. Updated counters are likely here to address corner cases in a few titles, where they might improve the average framerate by a percent or two.

The better caches are those with lower latencies, higher bandwidth, and capacity. Of course, improved prefetching can also help reduce latencies in sensitive workloads where there is not enough work to cover the latencies by other means, but, again, it wouldn’t have a noticeable effect in practice since the current implementations are already quite effective at this. In some corner cases, there might be an additional improvement of a few percent per frame, which would effectively translate to 0% in your typical benchmark suite. And how on earth are the improvements to the counters supposed to affect the memory bandwidth requirements? Either larger caches or better delta compression are needed for meaningful improvements in this department.

This post’s accuracy is not substantiated. Exercise discretion and wait for verified sources before accepting its claims.
Will RDNA 4 surpass 7800XT perf?
Obviously, N32 is scuffed too.
Typically, such minor changes result in an average performance improvement of around 0% when tested across various benchmarks. Updated counters are likely here to address corner cases in a few titles, where they might improve the average framerate by a percent or two.

The better caches are those with lower latencies, higher bandwidth, and capacity. Of course, improved prefetching can also help reduce latencies in sensitive workloads where there is not enough work to cover the latencies by other means, but, again, it wouldn’t have a noticeable effect in practice since the current implementations are already quite effective at this. In some corner cases, there might be an additional improvement of a few percent per frame, which would effectively translate to 0% in your typical benchmark suite. And how on earth are the improvements to the counters supposed to affect the memory bandwidth requirements? Either larger caches or better delta compression are needed for meaningful improvements in this department.
mucho texto, brother.
(you can also improve your reading comprehension. just so happens that AMD has three more cache levels! but what do I know?).

As far as we know it's just midrange, so midrange memory.
We can at least put our hope on that amd's patent about reversing the polarity of the neutron flow in silicon.
Hmmm better is great but capacity has a lot to do with how well a cache performs in practice. 18 Gbps GDDR6 is a surprisingly conservative choice. Is RDNA 4 intended to go up against Blackwell?
I was thinking that too but looking into this, the fastest mass production GDDR6 is Samsung's 20gbps, SK Hynix and Micron are 18gbps. Samsung are sampling 24gbps and SK Hynix are (I assume) sampling 20gbps so it's not as bad as I first thought. Guess GDDR7 is around the corner so effort's put into that instead but would've been nice if 20gbps+ was more plausible for RDNA4

Plus side is more even arch/gen comparisons

I was thinking that too but looking into this, the fastest mass production GDDR6 is Samsung's 20gbps, SK Hynix and Micron are 18gbps. Samsung are sampling 24gbps and SK Hynix are (I assume) sampling 20gbps so it's not as bad as I first thought
20G one exists but it's pricey and these are cheapo mainstream sticks.

I was thinking that too but looking into this, the fastest mass production GDDR6 is Samsung's 20gbps, SK Hynix and Micron are 18gbps. Samsung are sampling 24gbps and SK Hynix are (I assume) sampling 20gbps so it's not as bad as I first thought. Guess GDDR7 is around the corner so effort's put into that instead but would've been nice if 20gbps+ was more plausible for RDNA4
Whatever GDDR is in production out of the portfolio the suppliers have depends on demand more than anything else. Lack of products using such GDDR results in it not being in production.
In other words if some IHV would prefer to use GDDR6 20Gbps on their new product - because that would bring sizeable performance improvements - it would start to be in production.
The fact that it's not means that the performance of such new product isn't likely to be limited by whatever GDDR is in production right now.

Back