Rage (id Software)

Played through the Scorchers. If you like the main game, you'll like this. There are 5 new levels to play through, and you get a new gun. 3-4 hours of gameplay for a small price is a pretty good deal. I'd like to more of this, though I doubt that will happen at this point.

About the DLC ending. * SPOILER *

Where does the dlc start? It's bin a long time, and I don't know where to go :(

Where does the dlc start? It's bin a long time, and I don't know where to go :(

In the Hagar settlement at the start of the game. The DLC levels integrated into the main game and become available as you play through it. But you'll only need to go as far as Wellspring to play all of it.

I had a save from before leaving to do the final mission so I could play the DLC in one go.

Good game is good ! I am playing on PC and the graphics are surreal and the shooting is good Ol' good ! :)

Beautiful Game and runs at 60 fps on my modest PC !

I know including them would've increased the game size quite a bit but I wish the game had specular maps and more normal maps.

Blegh. I'm on PS3 with all the texture loading every time I turn. That last DLC area must look great on PC. Still I love that solid 60 fps and unique textures everywhere. Bring on PS4 and Rage 2 already.

I've noticed the texture streaming largely depends on the HDD speed, I've got SSD on mine and it's quite good at it.

Yeah I've heard about that. But I don't feel like buying an SSD now. I have been thinking of getting one when the PS4 arrives if it doesn't come as standard and they'll let us replace it.

I dunno, Rage was ok but after playing Borderlands 2 I just think there is no comparison, Borderlands 2 is just miles better to me.

I just picked up 360 version of Rage in the bargain bin. I thought the game was pretty good, I'm switching between this and Black Ops 2, however I'm finding myself returning to Rage more often...

I think Rage isn't as replayable as Borderlands 1 (I don't have 2 yet), however the encounters are a lot more interesting in Rage than Borderlands or even Black Ops 2. The enemies and weapons are unique enough that it really factor in how you can approach each combat encounters.

Now, I just need to get myself ready for the let down of the ending...

The three stages of Rage:

1) This is a bit clunky and boring.
2) I'm getting into this now, and I'm starting to like the controls. It's actually pretty good!
3) Wow!! I'm really enjoying this! I can't wait to see what the last third of the gam ... END CREDITS THANK YOU FOR PLAYING.

Rage 2 plz.

Rage 2 will happen probably...never, I think, with Bethsoft pulling the shots over at id these days. Have they made their money back on that game? I dunno the sales, maybe they're pretty decent since id titles usually don't really bomb sales-wise (doom 3 might have been a bit of a disappointment too though, IIRC), but rage took like 6 years to develop and must have cost an absolute shit-ton of money.

They've managed to move a few million units in the end, not sure about the margins, but the Rage IP is sort of established now.

But the bigger part is Doom 4 - it is still under development, whatever is going on at id, Bethesda is still backing it up and we'll see a new game eventually. Not sure what this means in practice, how advanced the engine and the content is, how good the gameplay might be, how much it is about Bethesda trusting id and how much about pre-established contracts... But before Doom 4 is released it would be too early to draw any conclusions.

Once Doom 4 is out and we've seen the sales data, it'll be much easier to guess about the Rage IP, IMHO.

After Rage I'm pretty excited for Doom 4. Rage handles differently to most console FPSs - it's more PC-ish, in a good way - but once I got back used to it I really enjoyed it.

Rage has some visually rough spots, but where it works well it's possibly the best looking game this generation. Walking round Wellspring at 60 fps, looking at .. anything ... was just like drinking in game art. Even a bit-part like Stanley of Stanley Express fame had more visual character than just about anyone in any other game I've played. And all he does is stand there looking funny and say a few things.

And the animation - from mutants swinging on stuff to bandits staggering and falling when you shoot them in the ass as they fall back (because you've shot their friends heads off with Fat Mammas) is frequently fantastic. 80% of the time the game is great to look at, and 10% of the time just it's awesome.

Rage reminds you that a small town like Wellspring can be more interesting to look at and look around than a huge city. Subway town looks great too. I just wish there were more RPG elements, more lines of dialogue, more character interactions, more missions, more .... everything.

Awesome. And punching the heads off mutants was pretty damn fun in a Doom-ish kind of way. Have finished it 4 times now, including on Nightmare.

Right, I'll stop gushing and shut up now.

Rage 2 plz.

After taking six years to make a game with a fraction of the content of Borderlands because of Carmack's fixation on graphics, I will not buy another id game, whether Rage 2 or Doom 4 until everyone has completed it. I never got Doom 3 because after the hype subsided, most people said it was fairly monotonous. I made the mistake of buying Rage before the guy telling me how awesome it was had gotten to the ending.

I never got Doom 3 because after the hype subsided, most people said it was fairly monotonous.
I thought Doom3 was quite good. It was fecking creepy though, I can't play it anymore because all the random diabolical laughter and clangs and telekinesis objects flying at me and hovering glowing skulls and monster closets and shit creep me out too much. D3's downfall was the lighting, as in lack of, really. So much of the game was utter pitch black, and no ambient reflections or fall-off from the flashlight made it feel like you were looking through a flashlight-shaped paper cut-out at the game. It was extremely disconcerting methinks and really strained my eyes.

If it was awesome until the ending, wasn't it awesome?
No. Half of a great game is not a great game.

I tried to play Doom 3 a few years ago. I think I made it about 2.5 hours in before I got too bored and quit. Glad I never bought it. id's pretty dead to me now.

Last edited by a moderator:
Rage is even better second time through when you know the mechanics inside out.

Third time through, on Nightmare, was my favourite though. With the spiky gauntlet things. Popping mutant heads with fists, Popping bandit heads with fat mammas. Playing ... cards.

I love Rage so much.

Rage has moar grphx in Wellspring than Borderlands has in the entire game. It may only be half a game, but it's a great half.

Back