RAGE: That's actually what you do when trying to get the PC version to work

Ok I got this from the Steam sale. Umm does anyone else have the irritating texture pop in every time you turn the camera around? Every time I play I feel like there's something wrong with my eyes. Otherwise the game is butter smooth on my 6950.

Ok I got this from the Steam sale. Umm does anyone else have the irritating texture pop in every time you turn the camera around? Every time I play I feel like there's something wrong with my eyes. Otherwise the game is butter smooth on my 6950.

That was a known problem that was fixed with a hotfix driver, regressed, then fixed again. IIRC I think that fix was in normal Catalysts by about Feb/March 2012. Are you running some old drivers? There's probably loads of posts about it earlier on in this very thread.

That was a known problem that was fixed with a hotfix driver, regressed, then fixed again. IIRC I think that fix was in normal Catalysts by about Feb/March 2012. Are you running some old drivers? There's probably loads of posts about it earlier on in this very thread.
No I'm running the latest beta drivers. I guess I need to downgrade?

Look around slowly and it will be fine, or play on controller :p

This texture pop-ups are down to ID5 engine and Megatexturing. Basically it's Google Earth in a game, same principle! Shame ID decided not to use more RAM to buffer textures as PC's are capable to do that in most modern configurations.

I have a Core i2500K, 8GB RAM. I figured it was down to the tech used.. Outdoors the game looks great but every texture looks like the Wolfenstein days up close. Additionally there is some kind of ugly noise filter applied to every texture.

Yeah they added the noise layer with a patch. It's supposed to add some perception of detail in the textures. Of course the reality is they needed to ship better textures, but then the game would probably be 50GB and people would whine about that. ;) I think I saw it said that the source textures aren't that much better anyway.

I think I saw it said that the source textures aren't that much better anyway.

I think it was JC himself who said that. I'm not sure if he means, what we think he means, because it seems strange to author textures in such low quality.

RESOLUTION DOES NOT EQUAL QUALITY. DAMNIT.

Neither is quality about world texel density. These are separate issues.

Carmack was usually talking about compressed and processed textures vs. originals when he was discussing Rage; also note that the engine downscales textures where it believes they can't be seen from the possible viewpoints of the player.

Rage is loaded with textures with compression artifacts. And if the compression was that aggressive I'm sure it wiped out a lot of detail.

Whenever you're indoors you see this sort of ridiculous crap a lot. I'm not sure I've seen such aggressive texture compression in another game.

shot99998.jpg

Rage2011-10-1500-28-25-06.jpg

RESOLUTION DOES NOT EQUAL QUALITY. DAMNIT.

Neither is quality about world texel density. These are separate issues.

Carmack was usually talking about compressed and processed textures vs. originals when he was discussing Rage; also note that the engine downscales textures where it believes they can't be seen from the possible viewpoints of the player.

Did somebody ninja edit or delete a post? Who said anything about resolution?

My point was only that the source material is surely far, far higher quality than the blotchy stew they shipped in the game.

The game is really good looking at times by the way.

I wouldn't have minded if the game required 100GB of HDD space. I have mucho to spare. I think I have plenty of CPU and GPU power and RAM and HDD throughput to handle way better textures, but I can see why they stuck with only 22GB :p

Last edited by a moderator:
Rage is loaded with textures with compression artifacts. And if the compression was that aggressive I'm sure it wiped out a lot of detail.

Whenever you're indoors you see this sort of ridiculous crap a lot. I'm not sure I've seen such aggressive texture compression in another game.

Rage2011-10-1500-28-25-06.jpg

You can "fix" it with detail textures.

maybe if they just shipped the game with the raw assets the artists used to create the textures, and some kind of photoshop style scripts that would composit and blend them and stuff they could get the same or better quality for much less disk space.

they could probably use the gpu to do the work while loading maps, loading it into memory as it was completed.

of course they could just reuse textures for common things, like that blurry metal thing, or the door jam pictured above.

anyway, if idtech 6 is indeed going to be voxel based, all this megatexturing business could just be a stepping stone towards that end.

Did somebody ninja edit or delete a post? Who said anything about resolution?

My point was only that the source material is surely far, far higher quality than the blotchy stew they shipped in the game.

The game is really good looking at times by the way.

I wouldn't have minded if the game required 100GB of HDD space. I have mucho to spare. I think I have plenty of CPU and GPU power and RAM and HDD throughput to handle way better textures, but I can see why they stuck with only 22GB :p

Carmack has mentioned that the low quality textures were created that way...

Carmack has mentioned that the low quality textures were created that way...

They made with built in compression artifacts? I don't see why they would draw a texture that way.

I can get that they were made at low resolution, but I did not ever mention the word resolution except to mention earlier that I never mentioned resolution. :p

Look around slowly and it will be fine, or play on controller :p

This texture pop-ups are down to ID5 engine and Megatexturing. Basically it's Google Earth in a game, same principle! Shame ID decided not to use more RAM to buffer textures as PC's are capable to do that in most modern configurations.

Well that issue was fixed ! I had the issue when I launched the game, but when I updated to newer drivers, ti went away. Everytime I start the game, I see that effect once when I turn my head around the whole scene, but after that it NEVER happens again even when i move to a new area.
No need to turn slowly. Maybe its due to the Ultra config I am using. Use the cfg file I linked earlier. Game looks supremely beautiful with it !

Well that issue was fixed ! I had the issue when I launched the game, but when I updated to newer drivers, ti went away. Everytime I start the game, I see that effect once when I turn my head around the whole scene, but after that it NEVER happens again even when i move to a new area.
No need to turn slowly. Maybe its due to the Ultra config I am using. Use the cfg file I linked earlier. Game looks supremely beautiful with it !

That issue never even occurred for some people. I made a video in the original thread that showed I never got it. I had a nvidia card and hex core processor at launch which probably helped.

I played it primarily on a GTX 560 Ti 1GB + Phenom II X4 and there was definitely some pop-in occasionally, especially on a rapid 180-degree turn. It was much, much better than what my Radeon 6950 2GB could do though (don't get me started on that).

Back