The Mario Bros. game which made that iD Software was born

Cyan

orange
Legend
Supporter
A very interesting article on how iD was born, the port of a typical console platforming sidescroller game to the PC, which was not possible before til John Carmack invented adaptive tile refresh, and how iD was created.

https://translate.google.com/transl...ros-3-para-pc-por-id-software-1990&edit-text=

Nintendo launched Super Mario Bros. 3 on the Japanese market on October 23, 1988. The company took more than a year to take it to American soil, and its arrival sparked the interest of many developers, including a group of guys called John Carmack , Tom Hall and John Romero , who created a clone of the PC game . What at first was a joke became proof of concept, and cornerstone for the saga Commander Keen.

logo-19.jpg

History tells us that the delay of Super Mario Bros. 3 in reaching the West was caused by a shortage of ROM chips during the year 1988. The American players had to wait until February of 1990 to obtain a cartridge, and August of 1991 in the Case of the PAL regions. Neither slow nor lazy, Nintendo used this gap in their favor, and took advantage of a proposal from Universal Studios to develop the movie The Wizard , which despite being a 90 minute commercial, raised the hype of Super Mario Bros. 3 to impressive levels. Fast forward to September 20, 1990. John Carmack, Tom Hall, and John Romero were then under Softdisk's wings. Carmack had succeeded in implementing an advanced method that allowed smooth, uninterrupted side- scrolling on PCs, which was very complicated at the time. Hall and Carmack left on the desk of Romero a diskette with a demo called "Dangerous Dave in Copyright Infringement" , in which the main character of the series Dangerous Dave crossed a pixel-per-pixel copy of level 1-1 in Super Mario Bros. 3.

The demo was not only a joke, but it showed the improvements of the new method of side-scrolling that Carmack had created. Far from laughing, Romero was absorbed in the demo for three hours, and came to the conclusion that it was the key to leaving Softdisk. The rest of the programmers did not understand the value of that demo, and the company was also not very interested in the technology, since it did not work on CGA systems (required EGA at least). According to Romero, the same day id Software was born (at least in name) , with one more member: Jay Wilbur, project manager at Softdisk. The next step was to create a proof of concept for Super Mario Bros. 3 compatible PC. They needed a full week to do it, and finally a copy arrived at the headquarters in Kyoto, passing first by Nintendo of America .

In a decision that today is not surprising at all, Nintendo executives said they were impressed by the work, but they dropped their thumbs almost immediately: The Nintendo software was to run on Nintendo hardware. Of course, that did not stop the brand new team of id Software, which began the development of the saga Commander Keen. Last Monday Commander Keen in Invasion of the Vorticons turned 25 years old, and to celebrate, Romero posted the video with the demo of Super Mario Bros. 3 above. A good memory that not only symbolizes the birth of a historical company, but the potential of computers mimicking (and later surpassing) the consoles.

While I'm in favor of more people learning this history, it seems that that Neoteo author just copy-pasted-rearranged material ripped straight from the book Masters of Doom.

While I'm in favor of more people learning this history, it seems that that Neoteo author just copy-pasted-rearranged material ripped straight from the book Masters of Doom.
Is that an extract from the book? I thought it was Romero who decided to share that these days.

On another note, that screengrab with the dolphin logo and the name of the studio, shows were iD comes from, which isn't mentioned in the link.

the port of a typical console platforming sidescroller game to the PC, which was not possible before til John Carmack invented adaptive tile refresh

No disrespect meant to John Carmack but he hardly made console-style sidescrolling possible on the PC. Scrolling was a standard feature on EGA and the techniques he used were not a big mystery; they were also commonly used on older framebuffer-based computers and even on tile-based consoles like NES games would update the tilemap in a similar fashion.

Here's a post from one of the programmers who ported Golden Axe to PC before Commander Keen was released:

https://www.quora.com/How-such-smoo...d-Commander-Keen/answer/Dan-Duncalf?srid=oJ19

If there's anything that set games like Commander Keen and this SMB3 demo apart it's how quickly they could scroll, even on really low end PCs. I think this is down to very optimized copy routines and keeping the number of sprites on screen to a minimum.

@Cyan didn't even realize the logo was on the splash screen. And they lost their "F"!

http://rome.ro/news/2015/12/13/gametales-the-id-logo
the original IFD logo looked better to me. It took me a while to notice the logo because of the checkerboard colours, which merge with the original logo, only the dolphin was kind of easily visible.

No disrespect meant to John Carmack but he hardly made console-style sidescrolling possible on the PC. Scrolling was a standard feature on EGA and the techniques he used were not a big mystery; they were also commonly used on older framebuffer-based computers and even on tile-based consoles like NES games would update the tilemap in a similar fashion.

Here's a post from one of the programmers who ported Golden Axe to PC before Commander Keen was released:

https://www.quora.com/How-such-smoo...d-Commander-Keen/answer/Dan-Duncalf?srid=oJ19

If there's anything that set games like Commander Keen and this SMB3 demo apart it's how quickly they could scroll, even on really low end PCs. I think this is down to very optimized copy routines and keeping the number of sprites on screen to a minimum.
John Carmack appeared to discover it or had anyone figured it out before? That's quite an interesting read. It is not totally clear though he achieved that before Carmack did, and I say that because we should have to know when the PC version of Golden Axe came out, and when the hacked version of SMB3 was released.

John Carmack appeared to discover it or had anyone figured it out before? That's quite an interesting read. It is not totally clear though he achieved that before Carmack did, and I say that because we should have to know when the PC version of Golden Axe came out, and when the hacked version of SMB3 was released.

The hacked version of SMB3 was never released, so we can ignore that. What your original post said was that the technique was not possible until John Carmack invented it. This would mean not just that Carmack used the technique somewhere but at the very least released something using it that people could study. More likely it'd mean that he or someone connected to him either released source code demonstrating it or described it somewhere.

I don't know when exactly the Golden Axe PC version was released. The title screen says 1990. I found a download of an old cracked version with file dates in October/November 1990, but those could be post-release because of modifications and copying made by the crack group. The first Commander Keen game was released in December 1990.

The truth is, I doubt any of this really matters because techniques functionally identical to this have been done on other platforms long before this. EGA has some more complex features and nuances but the same basic principles apply. For games like, eg, R-Type on ZX Spectrum, I promise you that they aren't updating the whole screen every frame.

Carmack has gotten a lot of credit for this technique and it may well be he was one of the first to use it for EGA PCs. But I think that has less to do with his ingenuity and more to do with the PC just starting to become a viable platform for these sorts of games. Because even though EGA came out in 1984 (and VGA in 1987) it generally had to be added as an upgrades to a PC that was already a lot more expensive than other computers and consoles that were better suited for gaming anyway. Like the opening post said, Softdisk didn't want to release a game like this because it required EGA. It wasn't that they were being extremely fickle, this was a pretty legitimate concern. It was such a big deal that the the sequel set of Keen games was released with CGA versions using soft scrolling that was really slow on early PCs.

Speaking of which, Golden Axe also had a CGA mode, it just had choppy scrolling.

The hacked version of SMB3 was never released, so we can ignore that. What your original post said was that the technique was not possible until John Carmack invented it. This would mean not just that Carmack used the technique somewhere but at the very least released something using it that people could study. More likely it'd mean that he or someone connected to him either released source code demonstrating it or described it somewhere.

I don't know when exactly the Golden Axe PC version was released. The title screen says 1990. I found a download of an old cracked version with file dates in October/November 1990, but those could be post-release because of modifications and copying made by the crack group. The first Commander Keen game was released in December 1990.

The truth is, I doubt any of this really matters because techniques functionally identical to this have been done on other platforms long before this. EGA has some more complex features and nuances but the same basic principles apply. For games like, eg, R-Type on ZX Spectrum, I promise you that they aren't updating the whole screen every frame.

Carmack has gotten a lot of credit for this technique and it may well be he was one of the first to use it for EGA PCs. But I think that has less to do with his ingenuity and more to do with the PC just starting to become a viable platform for these sorts of games. Because even though EGA came out in 1984 (and VGA in 1987) it generally had to be added as an upgrades to a PC that was already a lot more expensive than other computers and consoles that were better suited for gaming anyway. Like the opening post said, Softdisk didn't want to release a game like this because it required EGA. It wasn't that they were being extremely fickle, this was a pretty legitimate concern. It was such a big deal that the the sequel set of Keen games was released with CGA versions using soft scrolling that was really slow on early PCs.

Speaking of which, Golden Axe also had a CGA mode, it just had choppy scrolling.
Golden Axe was previous so it could be that guy who invented the technique. This encyclopedia article attributes all the merits to Carmack on the invention of the technique, but it could be right..., or wrong, one can´t tell.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adaptive_tile_refresh

Golden Axe was previous so it could be that guy who invented the technique. This encyclopedia article attributes all the merits to Carmack on the invention of the technique, but it could be right..., or wrong, one can´t tell.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adaptive_tile_refresh

It looks like pretty much everyone attributes it to him, even Guiness Book of World Records says it: http://www.guinnessworldrecords.com...pc-platform-game-to-feature-smooth-scrolling/ Although at least they're careful to say that this refers to scrolling in all directions, which Golden Axe may have lacked (I don't honestly remember)

But their rationale, that PCs didn't have the hardware for scrolling, is just wrong. EGA had 100% of the hardware functionality necessary for smooth scrolling. The games they mention lack smooth scrolling precisely because they weren't designed for EGA. They also imply that Captain Comic has smooth horizontal scrolling but that's not true. It's really unfortunate how many errors an organization like Guiness Book can make.

What EGA didn't have the hardware for relative to consoles is tile mapping and sprites and that's ultimately what the adaptive tile refresh was meant to address. But I'm certain that techniques like this were common on PC and other framebuffer-based platforms.

I personally think it's pointless to talk about who invented the technique on EGA PCs when it was semantically identical to the technique on other platforms, and was kind of obvious to begin with. And I think the developers of later console-style PC games like eg Jazz Jackabbit would balk at the idea that Carmack made it possible for them, but this is the narrative I see from a lot of people.

There was also this article in 1988, published in Dr Dobbs which was popular at the time: http://www.drdobbs.com/database/ega-and-vga-smooth-scrolling-and-panning/184408045 I didn't mention it earlier because it described the technique for text mode but it can be used for graphical modes all the same. Interestingly, text mode is itself a form of tile mapping and it was possible to change the graphics used for the text characters so you could use it as a sort of low color (2 per character) but high resolution (640x350+) and fast graphics mode.

Last edited:
It looks like pretty much everyone attributes it to him, even Guiness Book of World Records says it: http://www.guinnessworldrecords.com...pc-platform-game-to-feature-smooth-scrolling/ Although at least they're careful to say that this refers to scrolling in all directions, which Golden Axe may have lacked (I don't honestly remember)

But their rationale, that PCs didn't have the hardware for scrolling, is just wrong. EGA had 100% of the hardware functionality necessary for smooth scrolling. The games they mention lack smooth scrolling precisely because they weren't designed for EGA. They also imply that Captain Comic has smooth horizontal scrolling but that's not true. It's really unfortunate how many errors an organization like Guiness Book can make.

What EGA didn't have the hardware for relative to consoles is tile mapping and sprites and that's ultimately what the adaptive tile refresh was meant to address. But I'm certain that techniques like this were common on PC and other framebuffer-based platforms.

I personally think it's pointless to talk about who invented the technique on EGA PCs when it was semantically identical to the technique on other platforms, and was kind of obvious to begin with. And I think the developers of later console-style PC games like eg Jazz Jackabbit would balk at the idea that Carmack made it possible for them, but this is the narrative I see from a lot of people.

There was also this article in 1988, published in Dr Dobbs which was popular at the time: http://www.drdobbs.com/database/ega-and-vga-smooth-scrolling-and-panning/184408045 I didn't mention it earlier because it described the technique for text mode but it can be used for graphical modes all the same. Interestingly, text mode is itself a form of tile mapping and it was possible to change the graphics used for the text characters so you could use it as a sort of low color (2 per character) but high resolution (640x350+) and fast graphics mode.

Additionally if one were to go back to the PC demo scene back then, you'd see a lot of examples of smooth scrolling prior to the release of Commander Keen. Of course, it also wasn't uncommon for a demo scene programmer to leverage specific hardware attributes of a specific graphics chip, making them run less than well on other graphics chips.

Like many things, John Carmack, likely gets the nod for basically putting it out in front of a large audience of people who could then make note of it. Similar to how Apple popularizing and becoming synonymous with the mouse or the MP3 player despite those things existing years prior to Apple's introduction of them into the market.

Regards,
SB

Additionally if one were to go back to the PC demo scene back then, you'd see a lot of examples of smooth scrolling prior to the release of Commander Keen. Of course, it also wasn't uncommon for a demo scene programmer to leverage specific hardware attributes of a specific graphics chip, making them run less than well on other graphics chips.

Like many things, John Carmack, likely gets the nod for basically putting it out in front of a large audience of people who could then make note of it. Similar to how Apple popularizing and becoming synonymous with the mouse or the MP3 player despite those things existing years prior to Apple's introduction of them into the market.

Regards,
SB
This is super interesting stuff. You have to give credit to the people who drew that shack:

Back