Rage (id Software)

It's nice to see old timers step in to teach the young whipper snappers how it's done. Anarchy edition pre-ordered!

I'm sure this has been discussed at some point, but I sort of took a hiatus from the forum and didn't see it, and "megatexture" in the search brings up way too many hits. Why is Megatexture a big deal? I mean, I know you can use it to draw, say, a 5120x5120 texture, but what efficiencies are gained using Megatexture versus using 100 512x512 textures? Is there some sort of indexing or compression that's faster with one giant texture instead of a bunch of small ones?

The advantage is you get unique textures, ie. zero texture repetitions throughout the whole game.

I'm sure this has been discussed at some point, but I sort of took a hiatus from the forum and didn't see it, and "megatexture" in the search brings up way too many hits. Why is Megatexture a big deal? I mean, I know you can use it to draw, say, a 5120x5120 texture, but what efficiencies are gained using Megatexture versus using 100 512x512 textures? Is there some sort of indexing or compression that's faster with one giant texture instead of a bunch of small ones?
Read this post by Sebbbi.

From not being very interested im now very much looking forward to it! This friday (UK) this and Dark Souls both release! And the mad rush begins!

I had a hard time placing the game on my Radar.. Mad Max? Driving Game? "MEGATEXTURE".. still doesn´t have it placed.. i just saw a few 1st person fights and a tad of a trailer and finally figured.. these guys can´t make a complete dud..

Pre-ordered, pre-loaded on steam

But i read something about quests?... guess i am gonna have a interesting time :)

what efficiencies are gained using Megatexture versus using 100 512x512 textures?
Essentially megatexture IS using 100 smaller textures rather than one really super big one, and the game is dynamically loading just those textures that are visible on screen/near the player.

Essentially megatexture IS using 100 smaller textures rather than one really super big one, and the game is dynamically loading just those textures that are visible on screen/near the player.
I'm pretty sure that it's up to ~1000000 small textures, but essentially yes. ;)

The fantastic thing about MT is that those textures are transparent to artists and they can do their art in whatever way they want.
Basically you could do whole world as unique organic object in Zbrush and import it. (if their importing software allows such big objects/textures.)
Tech should work beautifully with displacement mapping as well.

I don't know guys, directfeed shots look quite disappointing judging from the massive amount of jaggies.
http://www.gamesblog.it/galleria/big/rage-24/28
http://www.gamesblog.it/galleria/big/rage-24/70
One thing I know for sure is that I'm not getting the same feeling I get when I first played Doom3.

yeah, that is what I experienced at gamescom as well...the console version was poluted by aliasing...not in every situation but often enough aliasing was rather disturbing...PC version it is, because the game itself felt great in the short amount of time I played...insta buy!

I don't know guys, directfeed shots look quite disappointing judging from the massive amount of jaggies.
Why would there be more jaggies in this game than any other? Of course, there wouldn't... Jaggies are inherent to the hardware it runs on, and using multisampling or other techniques to lessen the issue usually isn't practical on today's bleeding edge games.

It might be a little grating after all the console titles that have recently supported FXAA or similar.

But I guess that's not possible for ~720p 60fps title.

It might be a little grating after all the console titles that have recently supported FXAA or similar.

What are those? I thought none had actually yet...

Unless you mean MLAA too...AFAIK a few PS3 games have had that. But not FXAA.

N_B said:

See: Gran Turismo 5 (720p 60hz 4xAA) and Super Stardust HD (same)

http://www.gamesblog.it/galleria/big/rage-24/28
http://www.gamesblog.it/galleria/big/rage-24/70
One thing I know for sure is that I'm not getting the same feeling I get when I first played Doom3.

I can't view the links at work, but I wonder if the scenes depicting noticeable jaggies are the moments the frame buffer scales down to a sub-HD resolution.

That's something I've been wondering about regarding this game and how DF plan to analyze it. Knowing that the game runs on a dynamic frame buffer, I hope they try to capture both the high and low end of the resolutions this game runs at.

IIRC, Sebbbi is using FXAA in the next trials game and that runs at 60fps.

What are those? I thought none had actually yet...

Unless you mean MLAA too...AFAIK a few PS3 games have had that. But not FXAA.

Deus Ex: HR and Brink used FXAA on the 360 IIRC while Driver uses it on both systems I believe. I know there are actually a few games that use FXAA these days.

IIRC, Sebbbi is using FXAA in the next trials game and that runs at 60fps.
Yes, we have FXAA, and we have fully dynamic (deferred) lighting as well. Both are surely doable at 60 fps.

But Rage has countless of AI controlled enemies (and vehicles) with really sophisticated animation, and a much more detailed game world. Baked lighting of course has it's limits (no dynamic day/night cycle), but the baked shadows in Rage look extremely good (no pixellation at all).

It's really funny that each time a new tech feature appear, people always thinking is an automatically function on games arrived after…
It's not simple to implement a tech function late or not in a process, that work for Y don't be good for X. And X can preferred use "power" for other feature that Y don't have.;)

Yes, we have FXAA, and we have fully dynamic (deferred) lighting as well. Both are surely doable at 60 fps.

But Rage has countless of AI controlled enemies (and vehicles) with really sophisticated animation, and a much more detailed game world. Baked lighting of course has it's limits (no dynamic day/night cycle), but the baked shadows in Rage look extremely good (no pixellation at all).

Cool thanks sebbbi. I wasn't trying to say that FXAA should be possible in RAGE, I was only pointing out that FXAA is possible in a 60fps game. :D

WoW ! Reviews everywhere ! Getting good scores too ! Off to read them !

EuroGamer: Judged on game design and content, then, it's slightly anachronistic, but as a toy box full of things you can only do in games, Rage is warm-hearted and refreshing. It's not going to change the world, but it does serve as a timely reminder of that other thing id Software games always did besides smashing through some new technological barrier. They made shooting things fun, and it's nice to have that back.

I don't know how RAGE feels, but this is what gaming to me is all about. Thats the reason I like RFOM, R3 and Infamous so much ! cos they are good games !

GAF is reporting bad results on PC, framerate, tearing, etc. Anyone got any impressions of the console versions? Also, is the game co-op, it says 1-2 players on the back of the box.

Back