PS5 DualShock Revealed (DualSense)

I like the overall design.
But the dark area's silhouette seems very unresolved to me. On the straight-on front view at least. It seems like this unsure of itself smooth curve that doesn't know exactly where it wants to go. It bothers me very much.
Tiny adjustments make the world of difference, provides clearer branding too:
ezgif-1-c9e700ff8bfe.gif

I think Sony should have their own Design Labs for their Controllers. I didn't think the demand was there before, but it seems to do plenty of business for Microsoft. I'd expect there to be twice the demand world-wide for Sony.

It's irritating only a few games use it. Days Gone does. I used to destroy people in killzone 3 multiplayer using my move controller to aim it was fantastic.

wait, Days Gone supports Move controllers or six axis? How does that work?

Again, since there are no overhanging parts of the triggers i really don't see what part is supposed to pinch...

Yeah, sure, but i play mostly on PC so i could use either but i use the Xbox One controller over the DS4.
I have them both in my hand, I have no idea how you are pinching your fingers on a DS4!? Conversely I easily pinched my finger on the Xbox controller where the end of my finger curls around the trigger as I press it Lol

Sixaxis. You use the analogue sticks to aim as usual and then can fine tune with the motion controls. It's a little weird at first but you can start making headshots like a boss quite quickly. It becomes intuitive reasonable fast.
Lol, I had no idea - I’ll have to give it a try...or at least have a try when I get the PS5 and go for the plat

I have them both in my hand, I have no idea how you are pinching your fingers on a DS4!? Conversely I easily pinched my finger on the Xbox controller where the end of my finger curls around the trigger as I press it Lol

I pinch my middle fingers with the little lip on the back of the triggers when i pull them with my index fingers.
Still don't get how you get pinched? Is it when you release the triggers?

I pinch my middle fingers with the little lip on the back of the triggers when i pull them with my index fingers.
Still don't get how you get pinched? Is it when you release the triggers?

Ah, my middle finger naturally rests right underneath the controller - there's like a nice resting place;
IMG-3136.jpg

This is where I get pinched, in this little gap;
IMG-3132.jpg

As I play my finger naturally slides further causing the issue - it's like the controller is a little too small (but I don't have big hands);
IMG-3135.jpg

https://segmentnext.com/2020/04/08/dualsense-microphone-array/

Interesting about the microphone and a patent published the day before showing the controller

Based on a patent that was filed back in February and was published just a day before the announcement, DualSense houses a “linear” array of at least three built-in microphones. They function in tandem to identify and isolate a sound source – the user – from the environment by using different sensors and tracking methods, particularly through the timing by which each microphone captures a sound. Following an analysis, the array of microphones will then be able to exclude sounds being produced by a certain region in the environment.

Other interesting part:
Within the same patent, Sony also outlined how the touchpad of DualSense will couple with a touchscreen interface on the television set or monitor as part of the controller. Hence, players can focus on their gameplay while performing gestures on the touchpad through the interface shown in-game.

Other interesting part:
That part is interesting but it confuses me a bit. The other touchscreen is what? A peripheral? My own TV? I am sitting some meters away from it. If the touchscreen is accepting gestures what about my touchpad? Then it says that the gestures on the touchpad will be pointed on the screen, which means, there is no touchscreen...just the touchpad.
Couldnt they have done this with the touchpad on PS4?

That part is interesting but it confuses me a bit. The other touchscreen is what? A peripheral? My own TV? I am sitting some meters away from it. If the touchscreen is accepting gestures what about my touchpad?
It would be an in-game overlay on the TV/monitor or maybe second screen. Seems like something they could already do with ds4.

So Richard thinks it will be larger. Sony says it will "feel smaller than it really looks", which is not the same as actually being smaller.

While he's absolutely right on the BOM for DualSense being greater than the Xbox Series X controller, controllers are sold at ludicrous profit. Even Sony's DualShock 4, which includes speakers, LEDs and a touchpad, is not costing Sony more than $14 (at most) at this point and it was estimated at $18 back in 2013. Both companies will continue to profit gloriously on the sale of extra controllers - I just hope the controller prices do not increase, there is plenty of fat profit given the RRP of the damn things and I'd reckon alot of people have two or more. We have four DS4s and two Move controllers - all with official Sony docking/charging stations. Ouch! :eek:

Back