PS5 DualShock Revealed (DualSense)

Pressure sensitive did work and worked marvelously, its just that few used them
Yeah I phrased it badly, I meant it didn't gain any traction with the devs, same for the touch pad. There's nothing wrong technologically it's just that if devs don't use these things, they have to be considered "failures". There's always the possibility of having relatively unused tech one generation which pick up gradually during the next gen.

No so bad in terms of evolution, many changes worked, few didn't:

Their Dual Analog sticks is now the foundation of any controller.
Adding handles on the sides became standard and evolved over the years.
Dual rumble is now mandatory, sony even got scolded for not having it at launch with ds3.
First controller with 1:1 tracking, this is now the foundation of any VR controller.
First gyro in a controller, rarely used except racing games, more for VR.
Led color for controller identification was a simple addition but worked well.
Integrated speaker is a gimmick but some games have fun with this. (nintendo's first)
The standard headset jack is absolutely mandatory now.
Direct share button was simple but a success.
Touchpad remains sadly just one big button so far.
Wireless is now ubiquitous, so is bluetooth.
Pressure sensitive buttons didn't work and was dropped.
Camera had a few successes, now it's for tracking VR and video chat.

Still up in the air for DS5:

Dynamic resistance on the triggers.
Touchpad api adds on-screen functionality, maybe devs will use it more.
VCMs for the rumble, should be a very wide frequency range.
Integrated microphone array for voice chat, mute button.
Share button changing to create, whatever it means.
Slightly larger, some might like it, some might not.

Looking at game controller history, without innovations we'd still be playing on a single button Atari 2600 controller. The dualshock influence have been an important one with much more successes than failures...

https://www.theverge.com/2019/12/2/...lers-modern-shape-design-ps5-25th-anniversary
I’m one of those weird people that liked The Duke, so bigger is welcome. I don’t have big hands either. I just tend not to like gaps in my grip of controllers/mice.

Good for DF pointing out the Wired article who had a hands on with a prototype half a year ago

https://www.wired.com/story/exclusive-playstation-5/

This also cleared up for me something I wasn’t sure about, if I understand correctly, which is that the actual analog sticks also have programmable resistance and not just the triggers.

Very exciting and I’m actually convinced this will end up being used extensively even in multiplatform games. Also really good tech for VR controls.

[Mod edit: trimmed url]

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok I figured as much but ... No they are also in the platforming section when walking over different surfaces etc. So I interpret that at least one analog stick plus at least the right trigger has actuators? Hmm maybe it’s the haptic feedback in the grips upon rereading.

Code:
 On ice, a high-frequency response made the thumbsticks really feel like my character was gliding. Jumping into a pool, I got a sense of the resistance of the water; on a wooden bridge, a bouncy sensation.

Btw my son wanted to play Doom 2016 after playing some Doom VFR and that supports the touchpad for Maps as well.

Last edited:
Yeah I phrased it badly, I meant it didn't gain any traction with the devs, same for the touch pad. There's nothing wrong technologically it's just that if devs don't use these things, they have to be considered "failures". There's always the possibility of having relatively unused tech one generation which pick up gradually during the next gen.
After 6 years of use I think the touch screen is really convenient, I don't see how they could remove it. Most games (multiplat) use it like another button, usually the map / in game options and it works very well for that. And it's also a programmable button in some games depending of how you use it (The Witcher 3).
Ok I figured as much but ... No they are also in the platforming section when walking over different surfaces etc. So I interpret that at least one analog stick plus at least the right trigger has actuators? Hmm maybe it’s the haptic feedback in the grips upon rereading.

Code:
 On ice, a high-frequency response made the thumbsticks really feel like my character was gliding. Jumping into a pool, I got a sense of the resistance of the water; on a wooden bridge, a bouncy sensation.

Btw my son wanted to play Doom 2016 after playing some Doom VFR and that supports the touchpad for Maps as well.
No. There are 2 haptic actuators (rumble HD) in left and right grips (not the triggers), just where you hold the controller. The triggers have another thing entirely: programmable resistance.

@Silent_Buddha Maybe, but was it well implemented and enjoyable in games ? ;)

The first excellent use of gyro is IMO... WarioWare Twisted in 2005 ! Still unmatched and fun to play today :yep2:

wwtwga0f.jpg

@Silent_Buddha Maybe, but was it well implemented and enjoyable in games ? ;)

The first excellent use of gyro is IMO... WarioWare Twisted in 2005 ! Still unmatched and fun to play today :yep2:

wwtwga0f.jpg

Yes, I owned one and while I'm not and never was into motocross style games, I played the crap out of Motocross Madness because of how it controlled. The problem was always lack of games for an accessory that you had to buy.

Because of that I've always been rooting for games to take advantage of Sony's motion sensing on its controllers. But the vast majority of developers just aren't interested in this type of thing. And to be fair, most gamers likely aren't interested which gives developers even less incentive to try to use it. But I always cheer internally when one does use it well and it is well received.

If I look at Twitch streamers and far more importantly Twitch stream viewers and their comments whenever a game on PS4 uses the motion control capabilities of the controllers, it's almost always viewed negatively if the gamer is forced to use it in a game.

You'd be surprised how many developers hang out in Twitch streams to see how viewers react to their game as it is being played and often will patch out or patch in things that they see viewers comment on frequently.

Regards,
SB

Back