PS5 DualShock Revealed (DualSense)

Opinion: Devs likely won’t make the most of the DualSense’s features
The piece is about how all fancy features across all console go pretty much unused, including Sixaxis movement, NSW's HD Rumble, and XB1's impulse triggers. Even among first party titles. Does make you wonder if a controller shouldn't just be the bare minimum of lowest-common-denominator features as that's all that'll be used in the end.

That is Microsoft’s stance seemingly which shows they are also not investing in VR.

But on the PS4, PSVR has made that discussion moot. And even in some other games, dreams included, just the gyro pointer is nice to have. Also in the OS both touch and gyro are much better for text input.

My biggest frustration with Sony is probably that the browser never supported a pointer ...

But on the PS4, PSVR has made that discussion moot.
Dedicated VR controllers are probably better.
And even in some other games, dreams included, just the gyro pointer is nice to have.
As a ubiquitous additional cost, is it worth it for a tiny handful of games?
Also in the OS both touch and gyro are much better for text input
Debatable. It's not hard to input text with buttons, and that's now the default for smart-boxes etc. It'd be no great loss to have a dpad-based on screen keyboard as the only option, and would save cost and complexity in the controller. Putting it another way, I never use touch or movement to navigate the OS and I don't feel like I'm struggling. ;)

So, your arguments are weak. ;) I think what these input schemes need is actual support, and Sony (et al) needs to find a way to encourage their adoption. Maybe offer slightly better royalty fees for games that use more features or something? We need force-feedback triggers and HD rumble to be more than OS interface niceties and launch game gimmicks. If the only time I feel the difference between moving through mud and sliding over ice is using the on-screen keyboard, we know something has gone very wrong!

No dedicated controllers are definitely not always better. A 3D platformer like Astrobot is fantastic with the DualShock, and for many other games people would prefer a DualShock over the dedicated VR controllers including Driving Games, FIFA, and many others.

And while we are at it, Move controls for the OS are pretty lame at the moment.

What's to rule out a VR enabled controller and a plain minimalist default controller? If VR represents say 20% of the PS population, why include a feature for that 20% into all 100%? The argument there is likely that the costs to include really aren't that high, but it's still rather wasteful and these features shouldn't be the domain of a gaming niche but valuable to all gamers.

The disappointing part is when first party don't use the extra features.
I mean the way Days Gone uses the touch pad is simple yet brilliant and I find myself swiping in other games to open the map.
A game like Red Dead could easily of used the motion controls to mimic a horses reins. I understand why they didn't but it would of been a nice feature same as they could of used the touch pad the same way Days Gone did, swipe right to open map up to open satchel. Things like that.

Does make you wonder if a controller shouldn't just be the bare minimum of lowest-common-denominator features as that's all that'll be used in the end.

exactly, microphone array is like only feature I'm glad they included, because I never bothered to plug in headset into DS4 even though every PS4 shipped with one. Never used rumble or speaker in DS4 and I used trackpad (tracking, not buttons) on DS4 once.

I would like bare minimum controller with maximazed battery life.

What's to rule out a VR enabled controller and a plain minimalist default controller? If VR represents say 20% of the PS population, why include a feature for that 20% into all 100%? The argument there is likely that the costs to include really aren't that high, but it's still rather wasteful and these features shouldn't be the domain of a gaming niche but valuable to all gamers.

VR needs specialized controllers like Valve Index, so why bother with halfassed VR enabled basic controllers if majority of people will not use it anyway.

Speaking of VR, if new PlayStation VR isn't PC compatible it's no buy for me.

The piece is about how all fancy features across all console go pretty much unused, including Sixaxis movement, NSW's HD Rumble, and XB1's impulse triggers. Even among first party titles. Does make you wonder if a controller shouldn't just be the bare minimum of lowest-common-denominator features as that's all that'll be used in the end.

With this mindset surely we’d all have one button? Or maybe a SNES controller?
Personally I’m all for innovation and trying new things, some stuff sticks (share button) other stuff doesn’t...it’s down to devs to utilise and make make standard new features and it’s up to Sony/MS to offer devs those features.

There is always a risk that new functions will not be used, but I am exited even if I will experience this in just a few games. It is better than nothing. Usually we hear that we want something new and not just same games with fancier graphics. So where are we going if the gaming industry just give up trying to bring something new? I will at least give my thumb up to Sony for the new controller tech and all who at least try to bring gaming further.

With this mindset surely we’d all have one button? Or maybe a SNES controller?
Dual Stick would be the minimum. It ocvers effective input for most games.
Personally I’m all for innovation and trying new things...
Personally, so am I, but it needs to be pushed. Putting an idea out there and seeing if it sticks is effectively putting it out there to die. Have an idea, commit to it, support it, and lead the world in its adoption. If that's a VR headset, create the headset and then keep making games for it and feed back best strategies to 3rd parties. If that's motion controls, do proper research into gameplay uses and integrate it subtly and effectively, rather than show some great accuracy in a platform reveal and then forget about it.

Is part of the trouble with these new schemes is how will Sony support them on PC, either natively or through their PSNow product? Is that maybe why some are hesitant to have major portions of the gameplay be dependent on them?

New controller features need to go with content because content drives adoption. My sense is the industry didn’t go far enough to flesh out the ideas fully. Sprinkling little gimmicks here and there won’t help.

e.g., Starhawk shooter allowed me to build buildings in the game world. The PS3 controller scheme was ok; it’s somewhat interesting but the execution was limited. My customization effort only lasted for a 15 minute session, and it's always the same few predictable options. Every time I had to start from scratch. It became a chore.

Might be more interesting if the world was persistent.

I felt that they should also allow touchscreen devices to make building more efficient. Use existing tools users have first before building features into the controller. It may help to let users guide the developers/designers first by empowering the players.

Last edited:
This argument is reductionist. Why include any new features if you can’t guarantee widespread adoption? Not every game used rumble when it debuted. Same with triggers, motion controls, and shoulder buttons. You can even go further back to analog sticks, d-pads, and even face buttons. You can’t know the next great feature without risk.

This argument is reductionist. Why include any new features if you can’t guarantee widespread adoption? Not every game used rumble when it debuted. Same with triggers, motion controls, and shoulder buttons. You can even go further back to analog sticks, d-pads, and even face buttons. You can’t know the next great feature without risk.
I wish they use the controllers motion's for first person shooters. It is so accurate that it doesnt need a camera at all. It only needs one reset button just in case you accidentally misaligned the controller's direction with the screen.
An on rails PS4 shooter I forgot its name of, worked marvelously with it and much better than the Move controllers than the Dead Space shooter on PS3 using the move controllers.

When Killzone 2 was launched, the weapon handling had a realistic, weighted feel to it. Initial controls were delayed longer than usual.
Made shooting unintuitive for many but it felt "in character", especially when combined with the visuals.
They fixed it somewhat by shortening the delay but that unique feel was gone.

In LittleBigPlanet, the game physics also made the controls laggy. I think that one was probably not fixable (?)

I'd say anything that improves the trigger/shooting experience may be worth a try.
You'll need to wait for the right content to showcase it.

No so bad in terms of evolution, many changes worked, few didn't:

Their Dual Analog sticks is now the foundation of any controller.
Adding handles on the sides became standard and evolved over the years.
Dual rumble is now mandatory, sony even got scolded for not having it at launch with ds3.
First controller with 1:1 tracking, this is now the foundation of any VR controller.
First gyro in a controller, rarely used except racing games, more for VR.
Led color for controller identification was a simple addition but worked well.
Integrated speaker is a gimmick but some games have fun with this. (nintendo's first)
The standard headset jack is absolutely mandatory now.
Direct share button was simple but a success.
Touchpad remains sadly just one big button so far.
Wireless is now ubiquitous, so is bluetooth.
Pressure sensitive buttons didn't work and was dropped.
Camera had a few successes, now it's for tracking VR and video chat.

Still up in the air for DS5:

Dynamic resistance on the triggers.
Touchpad api adds on-screen functionality, maybe devs will use it more.
VCMs for the rumble, should be a very wide frequency range.
Integrated microphone array for voice chat, mute button.
Share button changing to create, whatever it means.
Slightly larger, some might like it, some might not.

Looking at game controller history, without innovations we'd still be playing on a single button Atari 2600 controller. The dualshock influence have been an important one with much more successes than failures...

https://www.theverge.com/2019/12/2/...lers-modern-shape-design-ps5-25th-anniversary

Last edited:
I've never quite understood the hate for the touchpad, even if it is criminally underused, there's really nothing else of use that can be put in that space (outside of a touchscreen; which probably isn't realistic until battery tech has evolved). If it weren't there, they'd probably just be a logo in the middle. Nothing is lost as a result of its presence.

I'm glad Sony are willing to push new stuff, even if some of it doesn't stick.

The crazy thing is that that one thing offers so many additional means of input: general tap/click or left/right tap/click, up/down/left/right swipe etc. I'm surprised more games didn't at least use it for navigating a map screen.

Should there be a PS6 and a DualSense 6 controller, the main appeal of a touchscreen wouldn't be second screen elements so much, but the possibility of dynamic buttons and means of interactivity.

Back