PS5 DualShock Revealed (DualSense)

Perhaps not.
https://mspoweruser.com/ps5-control...dback-with-adaptive-triggers-and-thumbsticks/

“I ran a character through a platform level featuring a number of different surfaces, all of which gave distinct—and surprisingly immersive—tactile experiences,” Wired writes. “Sand felt slow and sloggy; mud felt slow and soggy. On ice, a high-frequency response made the thumbsticks really feel like my character was gliding. Jumping into a pool, I got a sense of the resistance of the water; on a wooden bridge, a bouncy sensation.”

I can't fathom how you communicate the feel of resistance to movement via rumble, but if you go to the source, it mentions in-grip actuators...

It also boasts haptic feedback far more capable than the rumble motor console gamers are used to, with highly programmable voice-coil actuators located in the left and right grips of the controller.

I thought it was supposed to couple a mic array with depth perception to isolate voices from the players?

As above, the force is supposedly sensations, the difference between mud and ice and sand, and the different trigger feels. Hence I guess Dual for the dual stick heritage and Sense for the sensations of the 'rumble' and force-feedback triggers.
When they mentioned Gran Turismo and effect haptics/triggers have on the way a car "feels" I got excited but also worried my driving rig might be getting less use.
This controller might be the reason I finally go back to using rumble/haptics. It's been over a decade.

DS4 had gyro??
Yup. DS3 has single axis gyro as well.
If you have gt sport or anything that uses motion controls, give it a whirl.

PSVR uses it for 1:1 tracking, so it needs pretty much all the same sensors as the Move controller.

I mainly want it for shooters

Well I personally really enjoyed the Move support in Killzone 3 but a lot of hardcore players only care about thumbsticks it seems. I would probably play a shooter again if it supported the gyro, and love gyro aiming and shooting in PSVR as well.

? I feel quiet natural when holding the DS4? Regarding the Xbox pinching, it’s the side bits that pinch, but again I think it’s because of me using the DS4 for 99% of my gaming, likely the opposite is true for you.

I've been fine with all of the Sony controllers - orginal PlayStation controller, Dual Analogue, Dual Shock 2, 3 and 4. But controller-wise I went from Atari 2600 Joystick (Atari, C64, Amiga) to keyboard and mouse and didn't return to using controllers until the PlayStation.

It's only when you get used a larger controller that going back to PS3 or earlier you realise how much smaller they were. I didn't start using an Xbox One controller until after I'd adjusted to the Dual Shock 4 and size-wise, all three consoles (incl. Nintendo Pro controller) are in the same ballpark.

That's what the mic array is supposed to enable. By removing sounds that arrive at different times across the different microphones, you should be left with just the sounds from directly in front of the array. .

Are they proposing to some fancy noise cancellation? Or even just some rubbish noise cancellation.

Impulse triggers is vibration in the triggers. DS5 is reportedly adding resistance, so the trigger gets harder to pull to simulate heavier guns, or a bow getting stretched.

Oh OK. Still don't see it being much better than impulse triggers. I would need to try both to compare, but I think JoeSixPack might not care that much, but then again if they were only on PS4 before they might. XB1 owners like myself will probably be like, meh?

If PS5 has voice control as standard, it too will be listening to everything, but as Google and Amazon have normalised that now, don't expect the same level of concern as Kinect faced.

"Normalised" the new "balanced".

So all will be ok. Goal post moved confirmed. Got it.

Do you not play first-person games with twin-stick controls? Symmetric sticks seems the better compromise given the most popular game types.

Yes, I predominately play with twin sticks. That's why I said I don't use the d-pad. The left thumbstick on the Xbox controllers is in the best position IMHO.

I don't know I might be stupid but I'm pretty sure there's a mute button under the ps button? It looks like a button.

I didn't see the black button on the all black casing & was going by others that it wasn't there. I hadn't really zoomed in on the pics 2000% until it was posted above. I missed it. Sue me.

Tommy McClain

It's irritating only a few games use it. Days Gone does. I used to destroy people in killzone 3 multiplayer using my move controller to aim it was fantastic.

I don't know why it hasn't takin off for for aiming at least. So many games have a shooting(ie aiming) component.

I sort of understand why motion controls in general are kind of gimmicky but having gyro in a traditional controller for aiming seems like the one use case where it could take off.

- Article dated August 2019, so MS were receiving and processing audio clips up until the Spring of last year.

Cortana was always opt-in. You could use standard Xbox voice commands without the data collection. Now it's all that's left.

Tommy McClain

Did you not follow my link?

All the outrage was from before product launch in 2013, when the common knowledge story being said was all voice commands were processed locally by Kinect. Your article of what was found out after the fact has nothing to do with the early outrage when everyone was told that all commands were processed locally.

So Xbox controller size with Sony stick layout. This is actually good as holding a DS was unpleasant for me. I hope the Sony shoulder buttons are better than current Xbox controller though.

y5u790bm9hr41.jpg
On DS4, they changed the triggers so that they don’t rest on the surface the controller is placed, and made a big deal about that. They’ve since reverted that, so I would assume there are major usability, ergonomic, or other advantages.

Oh shit I was wrong, they might actually have put a real linear actuator, with a full motor mechanism to control the tension and travel?
http://mirror.patentscope.wipo.int/search/en/detail.jsf?docId=WO2019142918&tab=FULLTEXT

Tv97vMKeFWlRsWERFXfwdhuXNH3L6J8AqbaRLLT8i9WsWj9dyG0WPvNJk9GdIgXZPeJHDNaFfLTxbqBLbdYs4S4NqRAWvKRsdNFpCsicZY_S4xcapFVNQEedltcvU0LOCQFKQJhfALPODdF6Q46d6wiONTf8mIXDhBlrTyuit1w
There’s a separate patent where they talk about a dual-battery design, one of which is specifically designed for high current, low duration events.

http://www.freepatentsonline.com/y2020/0099236.html

I didn't see the black button on the all black casing & was going by others that it wasn't there. I hadn't really zoomed in on the pics 2000% until it was posted above. I missed it. Sue me.

I wasn't having a go at you I honestly took it for granted it was a mute button. I was questioning myself, probably worded it like crap.

Did they announce how much the controller weighs? Is it the same weight as previous ones? The blog mentions making the base lighter as the items required for new functionality adds some weight. Having used an Elite controller for a few years now, the base DS4 controller feels way too light for my tastes, so I'm hoping the new controller has a bit more feel to it.

We also took thoughtful consideration into ways to maintain a strong battery life for DualSense’s rechargeable battery, and to lessen the weight of the controller as much as possible as new features were added.

Did they announce how much the controller weighs? Is it the same weight as previous ones? The blog mentions making the base lighter as the items required for new functionality adds some weight. Having used an Elite controller for a few years now, the base DS4 controller feels way too light for my tastes, so I'm hoping the new controller has a bit more feel to it.

We also took thoughtful consideration into ways to maintain a strong battery life for DualSense’s rechargeable battery, and to lessen the weight of the controller as much as possible as new features were added.

It is heavier than the Dualshock 4 but they don't want to tell the exact weight.

There’s a separate patent where they talk about a dual-battery design, one of which is specifically designed for high current, low duration events.

http://www.freepatentsonline.com/y2020/0099236.html
That's an interesting idea, i'm not sure why they didn't combine a low-discharge-rate battery and a supercapacitor, which is a common trick to use the very high density batteries where they also need momentary high-discharge situations. Maybe its less expensive to have two batteries.

That's an interesting idea, i'm not sure why they didn't combine a low-discharge-rate battery and a supercapacitor, which is a common trick to use the very high density batteries where they also need momentary high-discharge situations. Maybe its less expensive to have two batteries.
I agree it’s interesting. I know some consumer electronics already have sc’s in them like the Apple Pencil.

So all will be ok. Goal post moved confirmed. Got it.
Yes. That's what society does. It resists change until it ends up being normalised, by and large. Don't expect the same outrage and conspiracy theories for DS5 listening in as Kinect get because it's not the first and not pushing boundaries of tolerance (although it's also not from a US company and conspiracy theorists love associating companies with the NSA etc).

Yes, I predominately play with twin sticks. That's why I said I don't use the d-pad. The left thumbstick on the Xbox controllers is in the best position IMHO.
Sorry, didn't take that in. I don't really see any benefit in thumbstick placement but prefer the symmetrical layout because thumbs are mildly better coordinated.

All the outrage was from before product launch in 2013, when the common knowledge story being said was all voice commands were processed locally by Kinect. Your article of what was found out after the fact has nothing to do with the early outrage when everyone was told that all commands were processed locally.
the fear was that what people were told wasn't reality, and despite being assured no-one was listening in, people imagined that actually they were (and in the end, it turns out that yes, some sound bites were being shared that shouldn't have been, although not the NSA spying speculated). This is a concern now extended to other always listening devices, but as people like the convenience of these devices, it seems, they've grown accustomed to it. Similar to everyone being spied on constantly by cameras everywhere, where once they were resistant. Human beings always normalise to the status quo. Ergo, it shouldn't be interpreted as anything else if there's no outrage over a built in mic in DS5 when there's been built-in mics everywhere listening to everything for the past ten years anyway. ;)

I don't know why it hasn't takin off for for aiming at least.
If Dreams is anything to go by, because it's very unreliable. Loads of drift in Dreams without the camera.

Are they proposing to some fancy noise cancellation? Or even just some rubbish noise cancellation.
That's the only reason for a mic array. Otherwise you'd just use a single mic.

Are they proposing to some fancy noise cancellation?

I expect them to do similar level of noise cancellation like Kinect did, where game audio is fed in to be audio cancelled out. Perhaps the mics won't be as sensitive where it picks up voices in the background.

Back