PS2 Reaches 80 Million Mark

Fodder wrote:
With a console monopoly, you lose incentive for hardware to advance and for the manufacturer to invest in developers. The only way a single system monopoly can continue to provide cutting edge content is if there is internal competition driving the system development, as there is with the PC, which then neuters one of console developments greatest strengths - the set target platform. You can also forget about the pricedrops that have made the current three systems such a steal right now.

Technically speaking I feel there is a "console monopoly", base software content port monopoly that goes for the lowest common denominator, that being PS2 and resulting with the average dev making a game that will get ported to other console platforms but have no major 3d effect visual improvements or gameplay improvements as opposed to being made for a single console platform.

Basically would GTASA look any different if it was made nearly 100% specifically with XBox in mind as the base platform.

So far I think that the Resident Evil games have answered that question while the EA games just back it up.

As for PS2 reaching 80 million, I think it has to be shipped consoles since I have yet to see a single PS2 game reach 50 or even 30 million copies sold.

Sony's marketing is definetly great, since I am in the US, has anyone seen the billboards that have a PSX with a text mesage saying "get it for him" a couple of years ago? Basically appealing to girls who want to buy their boyfriend or husband either a birthday gift or a christmas gift, something I doubt women were aware of back in the SNES/Genesys days.

As someone mentioned earlier, times have changed, gamers have gotten older, had kids and used that as an excuse to buy multiple PS2s or XBox inside the house for system link gameplay or just to make sure someone does not stick peanut butter inside the console.

Women and young girls are also getting consoles too, something that is more noticable but not as big as the number of men buying consoles.

The other factor I can think of is faulty consoles, Sony has a history with broken PS1s and PS2s as well as when someone mods their console and screws up or the console later on fails, they may be forced to buy another console later on.

Another trend is dirty, dusty consoles, after a couple of years there is so much dust inside the PS2 that unless you open it you cannot clean it out and some consoles fail because of this so people will buy another instead.

It seems a few people misunderstood me. I really wasn´t proposing a monopoly system, more of a "Strong Al competing with Weaker-but-still-menacing Joe" with Al holding a 75% of the userbase while Joe holds 25% of it. That would remedy the lazy leader syndrome IMO.

Or have the market behave whatever way it wants, but I don´t feel more than 2 consoles is optimal or even desired.

cthellis42 said:
Funny thing is, I think if we ever got close to equal competition from all players, things would get much less interesting. 3rd parties wouldn't play off the companies for exclusivity reasons (as it would be less profitable than selling to the other 2/3'rds of the market as well) and would probably--in fact--pressure S/N/M to make their systems closer to each other so they would have an easier time developing games across them.

That is, of course, if 3rd parties remain strong enough to do so. It would put such a heavy emphasis on 1st party offerings at that point, that I imagine each would be spending acquisition capital to whittle away at the 3rd party market and bring anything worthwhile into their fold.

..and then the expenditures will just keep mounting...and the one with the biggest bankroll will eventually spend the others into oblivious...and then that player WILL become the monopoly we fear unless another bankroll steps in or the government interferes/breaks them up...and then...!

Maybe not a monopoly, but would lead things to a situation similar to today´s. That means things naturally tend to unevenness! :D Heh, it IS funny, since when you think about it the 33.3/33.3/33.3 market split can´t happen, mainly due to all companies being so different.

:p Offhand, I think it'd be rather weird. I'd be much happier of PC's got hit with "equal parts" first, as that's where we could most take advantage of better competition and open standards and let each of the players stand on their merits. Since consoles really just represent gaming (for now), it would just have the tendency of pursuing said gaming a lot more expensive.

I´m not very familiar with the PC industry, so what do you mean by equal parts? Equal performance? Compatibility? Software that ran on all OS´s?

Akumajou said:
As for PS2 reaching 80 million, I think it has to be shipped consoles since I have yet to see a single PS2 game reach 50 or even 30 million copies sold.

This tells me you don´t have much of an idea of how the console market behaves, since both factors don´t have much to do with each other. If the only title that the PS2 library consisted on is GT3, then your theory might apply, but as the userbase augments, it also diversifies, with different kinds of people buying very different kinds of games.

Megadrive1988 said:
assuming that the market is still growing. on the other hand, nextgen consoles might stall because alot of people are satisfied with their PS2s.

You could be right. But man alive, I was at Walmart today and I was testing out the PS2 controller (thinking of getting one for my PC for sports games and using a PS2-USB adapter) and was playing NCAA Football 2005. As I walked down the way there was an Xbox, so I decided to see if it had a Halo 2 demo (have yet to get to play it ::sob::). They did not, but they had NCAA Football 2005, so I booted it up.

:oops:

The PS2 version looks like dog poo in comparison!!!!!! I am not joking. The text is blurrier, the colors are not as clean, the textures are muddy, the detail of the players is leaps and bounds less impressive, on and on and on. I had never actually sat the two side-by-side before, but this was nuts. I am a gameplay first gamer, but geewizz! The graphics difference was a gameplay issues because the Xbox version looked that much better.

I am pretty shocked to tell the truth. I knew the Xbox looked better in general, although the PS2 is no dog and has its own fair share of good looking games. I was just shocked to see how much more detail the Xbox version had... and shocked at the difference between the two sets of hardware.

The PS2 graphics were passable (and very playable) but the Xbox version ran much better and nicer.

Which leads us back to the quote--If I was this shocked at seeing the difference between the same two games on hardware 1 year apart, what will consumers (especially PS2 owners) think when they see the new console games? We are talking leaps and bounds better--even for those without HD TVs. If developers through in some new gameplay elements and twists I think they could sell very well. It is all about convincing the consumer why they need new hardware.

Akumajou said:
All I have to say is... what the hell?! :oops: :rolleyes:

Regardless, it has been established multiple times in the thread already (and in the initial damn press release) that they were referring to shipped units.

Why are people still trying to come up with "theories" around why Sony has hit the 80 million mark? The numbers are what they are, and if u wanna dig up some conspiracy theory and other kinds of hocus pocus, then u may as well drag ms and nintendo thru the same wringer cuz I doubt they are little corporate angels with a monopoly on truth. And what's all this bs about hype, as if Sony was the only hype machine running rampant? Isn't marketing the entire foundation of our capitalistic machine? Is iPod the first, only and best mp3 player available? Don't we hand out awards to the best advertising campaigns? Do Nikes make u jump higher and run faster? If Sony is sells such crap, then why do people keep buying playstations? Maybe Sony has just done a better job of capturing a more diverse and more affluent userbase. I've purchased 3 playstations this gen .. one for myself, and the others for younger cousins and nieces. I would normally have purchased a Nintendo for the kids as I did last gen, but with games like R&C, J&D, and Sly Cooper, and Eyetoy and DDR, there was just no contest. As such, I rarely purchase GC games anymore since I can give them my games when I am done. I don't think anyone in here wants Nintendo or MS to fail in the console biz. We all want the same thing .. the best gaming experience possible. So when I see numbers like 80 million, I can only be excited about where the industry is headed. A rich developer can produce better games than poor developers in a struggling industry. An btw .. PS2 games look damned good to me. Maybe not as good as xbox, but I'm not going to commit game suicide just cuz a game on xbox looks better than ps2.

cthellis42 said:
Akumajou said:

I'll have to second that. It's somehow funny and irritating to see a guy who thinks he knows stuff and then he posts something like that. Or even 30 million... :rolleyes:

Dr Evil said:
cthellis42 said:
Akumajou said:

I'll have to second that. It's somehow funny and irritating to see a guy who thinks he knows stuff and then he posts something like that. Or even 30 million... :rolleyes:

Look bub, I don't claim to know everything.

What I do believe in though is that there has to be one game, one massively appealing game that does not offend a wide audience and actually reaches such millions in copies sold.

After all N64 GoldenEye 007 sold multiple millions on word of mouth alone, likewise Halo CE, on PS2 or PSX there have been games that were not massivelly hyped but sold alot too.

But you also may have missed me earlier, I also believe that alot of people buy multiple PS2s because either one crapped on them, the other while modding it fried and the next one finally works, then he/she tells a friend to do the same and enjoy the benefits of downloading and burning your own game copies and the process repeats plus or minus a modded console.

Akumajou said:
Dr Evil said:
cthellis42 said:

What I do believe in though is that there has to be one game, one massively appealing game that does not offend a wide audience and actually reaches such millions in copies sold.

After all N64 GoldenEye 007 sold multiple millions on word of mouth alone, likewise Halo CE, on PS2 or PSX there have been games that were not massivelly hyped but sold alot too.

But you also may have missed me earlier, I also believe that alot of people buy multiple PS2s because either one crapped on them, the other while modding it fried and the next one finally works, then he/she tells a friend to do the same and enjoy the benefits of downloading and burning your own game copies and the process repeats plus or minus a modded console.

Blah blah blah, you made one of the dumbest post in recent history, proof is in the pudding:

Akumajou said:

Now deal with the consequences without trying to somehow make yourself look less dumb.

Akumajou said:

Nice justification bud. Your theories are so correct, since a userbase with more 75+ million people has all of them OBVIOUSLY all liking the same things. :rolleyes:

london-boy said:
Blah blah blah, you made one of the dumbest post in recent history, proof is in the pudding:
"The proof of the pudding is in the eating." That makes it actually make sense. ;)

Akumajou said:
NO ONE on here claims to "know everything." That particular comment, however, was so utterly pointless and rediculous that it drove away all sensibility from anything else nearby, too.

You kinda have to expect the reaction it got. ;)

Akumajou said:
Dr Evil said:
cthellis42 said:
Akumajou said:

That's some ludicrous illogic spawned by wishful fantasy. There are as many people who mod xboxes .. should we knock down the xbox userbase by half just cuz I believe it's true? So we should support your logic that u believe people do such and such, and tell their friends to do such and such, and so on and so on, and thus the ps2 numbers are inflated? You can buy flash cards and easily download the entire library of GBA games right off the internet. So should we assume that the GBA numbers are pure lies from the mouths of Nintendo? The point is .. coming up with your own assumed theories about why PS2 numbers are wrong is just plain idiotic. The numbers are what they are. If MS reports 50 million xboxes sold tomorrow, I would marvel at how they've carved their niche in the industry, not come up with asinine conspiracy theories.

What I don't understand is that these conspiracy theorist folks who wish to diminish Sony don't realize that by chopping hardware sales off in large percentages, inversely, they are increasing the [software]:[hardware] ratio of the PlayStation2 Platform from it's already amazing ratio (wasn't it like 12:1 in 2003?!?) to even higher numbers -- and it's not like understanding wha happens when you change one variable is that difficult. Their argument is untenable at best... you know the rest.

Vince said:
What I don't understand is that these conspiracy theorist folks who wish to diminish Sony don't realize that by chopping hardware sales off in large percentages, inversely, they are increasing the [software]:[hardware] ratio of the PlayStation2 Platform from it's already amazing ratio (wasn't it like 12:1 in 2003?!?) to even higher numbers -- and it's not like understanding wha happens when you change one variable is that difficult. Their argument is untenable at best... you know the rest.

Good point Vince. Also, "What is good for the goose is good for the gander". If PS2 consoles sales are inflated due to modding, then this would most likely be true (if not more so) for the Xbox.

Vince said:
they are increasing the [software]:[hardware] ratio of the PlayStation2 Platform from it's already amazing ratio (wasn't it like 12:1 in 2003?!?) to even higher numbers
Got figures for all platforms?

cthellis42 said:
That particular comment, however, was so utterly pointless and rediculous that it drove away all sensibility from anything else nearby, too.

You kinda have to expect the reaction it got. ;)

Like a Tsunami.

london-boy said:
Like a Tsunami.
I believe that word is off-limits for trite usage for at least few more months.
Fodder said:
Got figures for all platforms?
I believe that's just the tie ratio for 2003, though--not their overall tie ratio--which is something to keep in mind. (According to Sony their tie ratio at the end of September 2004 was 9.0 -- which is pretty impressive as it almost caught up with PS1's tie ratio of 9.45 and the PS1 is hardly selling hardware at this point so would only be increasing that ratio.) It would definitely have bumped them up a few more notches, though, and I know it was reasonably higher than their competition (though I find it hard to find those numbers now.)

I can find some NPD direct comparisons here but it's not overall very recent. They don't seem to have done an equivalent comparison for 2004, sadly. Perhaps they'll soon come out with one showing a better comparative breakdown for all of 2004 before the end of January.

Back