OMG. Torchlight (game by Diablo1&2 Lead Designer) heading out to consoles -PSN, XBLA-

This is great news. Torchlight is what made me almost, almost open a Steam account, before I remembered that the GMA950 in the Mac is far below recommended spec.
If Torchlight can be brought to consoles, Blizzard should port Diablo 3 onto consoles as well! I feel they could grab a huge market if they ever chose to make the game to 360 and PS3. :)
Yes please. Bonus points for optional mouse/keyboard support on PS3.

This is great news. Torchlight is what made me almost, almost open a Steam account, before I remembered that the GMA950 in the Mac is far below recommended spec.
Yes please. Bonus points for optional mouse/keyboard support on PS3.

Move support for PS3 would be more than enough, imho!

See how well it works for RUSE, for instance!

Or wait two days (1 September the Move and Move games review embargos end) and find out how well it works for many other games ...

Move support for PS3 would be more than enough, imho!

See how well it works for RUSE, for instance!

Or wait two days (1 September the Move and Move games review embargos end) and find out how well it works for many other games ...
I'm already sold on Move, and I'm looking forward to checking it all out in depth myself ASAP ;)
I guess the upshot of KB&M support would be that a PC control experience, as it is designed and intended to be, would transfer 1:1. For Diablo 3 we can be sure that the KB&M interface will work smoothly. It's a well refined system by now. A safe bet.

Move could be a great fit. Not sure if all hotkey actions could be mapped but I haven't spent much time thinking it through either.

OTOH a new control scheme designed for a console version is an unknown, and may or may not work well. Sacred 2 springs to mind.

It's simple really. They only need to properly make use the right-thumb-stick for look/aim in place of the mouse.
That's still a rubbishy PC interface though! I tried the demo briefly, and couldn't get into the whole PC interface style. It's so disassociated, moving the mouse around and clicking things. You're not the charcter then, only a guiding force directing them. I want direct control to move the character, and direct control to make them swing a sword. I want "Walk left, walk up, swing sword" control and not "find your way over to this place, attack this target."

New info and screens of the XBLA version, from Microsoft Keynote:

c07c22824ed188f8ee9ada843fcb9db5.jpg

a9e76ad8dbd83ba1d40170f384d29ffd.jpg

56113ed323f615f5250228ce2d3b396f.jpg

ffccf9154f9da5ca26a5e7a25f4ad719.jpg

48f5ba2a11d04fb72bf2b66cc844f0df.jpg

Runic Games has announced that the Diablo-esque RPG Torchlight is coming to Xbox Live Arcade for the upcoming House Party series of releases. The game has apparently been remade to use the Xbox controller (with dual sticks for moving and attacking, bumpers for potions, and hotkeys assigned to triggers and buttons), and given a new interface for the console release. There will also be "new quests, armor sets, weapons, and a new pet" to play with as well. Consider us surprised -- it'll be interesting to see how a very PC title (that's found a lot of success on Steam) fits into Microsoft's arcade lineup.

http://www.joystiq.com/2011/01/06/torchlight-coming-to-xbox-live-arcade-with-new-content-for-house/

Awesome. Let's see how it plays using the gamepad. Performance should be perfect as it runs really well on my laptop.

Still no co-op. I guess that's being held back for Torchlight 2. I really want to support this, but I already have it on my pc.

I know that, as I own it on PC, but I was hoping it would be added in for XBL. :S

If I'm ever going to get into a genre like this, I'll need co-op so others can show me the ropes, as I've never played (and don't really "get") games like this. Too bad.

If I'm ever going to get into a genre like this, I'll need co-op so others can show me the ropes, as I've never played (and don't really "get") games like this. Too bad.
They're very simple in console form. You wander your player up to monster, go "whack whack whack" with the whack button until they are dead, steal their loot, level up, and repeat. You add powers to buttons to call on demand. It's in effect a typical adventure combat game, only with very customisable characters. Definitely try the demo assuming there is one. The only rather overbearing aspect IMO is the constant quest giving where you pile up hundreds of quests and sit through reams and reams of waffle, but that's what you have in RPGs whether simple like this or more complex like an Elder Scrolls. The gameplay is simple and sweet.

They're very simple in console form. You wander your player up to monster, go "whack whack whack" with the whack button until they are dead, steal their loot, level up, and repeat. You add powers to buttons to call on demand. It's in effect a typical adventure combat game, only with very customisable characters. Definitely try the demo assuming there is one. The only rather overbearing aspect IMO is the constant quest giving where you pile up hundreds of quests and sit through reams and reams of waffle, but that's what you have in RPGs whether simple like this or more complex like an Elder Scrolls. The gameplay is simple and sweet.

There is nothing to assume this is an XBLA title ;)

Runic Games, are enjoying the company's "best sale day in its history." The game has sold really well, and deservedly so.

It has become my favourite XBLA game, easily the best taking into account that I see myself getting quite a few hours of enjoyment from it. It's big enough and you can spend hours in the game clearing every last corner looking for that next, big magic item.

Besides that, the controls work perfectly and are very console-friendly. For instance, pressing Right Shoulder button your character uses a mana potion, pressing Left Shoulder button they use a Health Potion -very quick and practical compared to a Keyboard+Mouse setup-.

http://www.joystiq.com/2011/03/15/torchlight-xbla-launch-provided-runic-its-best-sales-day-ever/

Runic Games announced today that last week's launch day of Torchlight's solid, gamepad-friendly Xbox Live Arcade port, was the company's "best sale day in its history."

"We're very excited to bring Torchlight to the 360, and have been really gratified by the positive reaction," said President Travis Baldree. "It's affirming to know that console players love this genre as much as we do. We think the experience translates pretty well to the couch."

Runic is currently working on Torchlight 2 for PC, which will "probably" launch in July.

And Blizzard won't stop teasing Diablo 3 for consoles...

http://www.mcvuk.com/news/43500/Blizzard-plotting-Diablo-III-console-outing

Gimme some co-op and I will be instantly addicted!
+1 I tried the demo, it's neat but lack of coop (local for me) is bothering.
Was the demo complete in regard to the character abilities because in the demo "alchemist" seems to offer more possibilities than the other classes.

Assuming it's a relatively straight port from PC, all the characters can be heavily personalized and developed. No co-op until Torchlight 2.

The lack of co-op didn't bother me on PC since I got it for less than 5 USD. How much is it going for on XBLA?

Regards,
SB

+1 I tried the demo, it's neat but lack of coop (local for me) is bothering.
Was the demo complete in regard to the character abilities because in the demo "alchemist" seems to offer more possibilities than the other classes.

Dont know about the alchemist.
But Coop and a more mmorpg experience is planned for Torchlight 2.
I hope the devs are going to port TL2 to XBLA would make a happy camper.
And i hate gender locked classes i want to play as the bow/gun but i want to play as a male character for the rpg experience.

Assuming it's a relatively straight port from PC, all the characters can be heavily personalized and developed. No co-op until Torchlight 2.

The lack of co-op didn't bother me on PC since I got it for less than 5 USD. How much is it going for on XBLA?

Regards,
SB

1200 points ($15) in comparison Beyond Good & Evil is only 800 points ($10).

Back