PS2 Reaches 80 Million Mark

london-boy said:
Devourer said:
85 million consoles by March and still it's the Xbox to have momentum (as I read in this forum). The truly are doomed with PS3 :rolleyes:

Not only that, but apart from MGS3 (which didnt' sell that well anyway), PS2 keeps selling like cherries without any MAJOR games. GT4 still has to come out... Final Fantasy is still on the ship, getting the same treatment previous instalments did (it will only be released after having completed a trip around the world on a wooden 10ft-long boat)...
Can't think of any more huge franchises that usually sell systems.
I'm not totally up to date with what has been released or what huge game will be released in the future so correct me if i'm wrong.

What i was wondering about is, who's buying PS2s today?
Is the market getting bigger, meaning new people are getting into gaming, or is it something else? Personally i'm very very tempted to exchange my old PS2 for the new version, the smaller one...

You are right and I think it's the key factor of PlayStation success. The fact that everyone can make money on it, not just the likes of Halo, Mario and Zelda.
Its all about software support. You can find every kind of game, satisfying casual and hardcore alike in every corner of the world. I mean, on PlayStation you can find absolute gems that the mass public don't care about, but that keep interest of esotic gamers high. Not to mention that PlayStation gets the biggest support from japanese developers, which I think still are key to console wishing to gain global visibility among gamers.

One of my biggest grieves with the GC, is that if only it had MORE games, in pure quantity, on it, it would have fared so much better.
I mean, the machine is a little gem, it has a LOT of amazing games, mostly from Nintendo themselves, i just think it would have been a much bigger success if, paradoxically, it had more crap on it. Seriously.
Sony proved that quantity can give you an advantage, cause in the end, if even just 20% of games released are true gems, out of 100 titles, that's 20 gems for you. And how many games are now available on PS2?
Nintendo needed to get MORE games. More people had to be involved in the GC project, cause once you have the numbers, you can then choose what's good and what's not.
The GC might have a higher total-games-to-AAA-games ratio, but in the end, if they release 5 titles a month, no one's gonna care, cause there are a lot of people out there, and Sony knows this, who play CRAP.

Fodder said:
london-boy said:
More than a few of my friends just bought PSTwos for GTA: San Andreas.

I'm thinking about buying a psII when GT4 comes out in europe ..

hey69 said:
Fodder said:
london-boy said:
More than a few of my friends just bought PSTwos for GTA: San Andreas.

I'm thinking about buying a psII when GT4 comes out in europe ..

Might as well wait for PS3 and play in backward compatibility mode... I don't expect GT4 to come out in Europe for a very long time...

jvd said:
your most likely confusing units sold for the ps1 to units shiped for the ps2.

80million units are shipped , not all of them are in homes and being used .
I'm using the exact same numbers they supply here: Cumulative Production Shipments of Hardware

Which are the same numbers they always make press releases like this for.
GwymWeepa said:
Johnny Awesome said:
I have one word to explain the PS2 sales slowdown: Xbox. :)
I have another, shortage.
Wait, um... why are people skipping the "that's what consoles do the more units they sell and the further they are into their lifespan?" Certainly both competition and supply have affects as well, but why are people looking for just one thing to hold on their shoulders? :p

cthellis42 said:
Wait, um... why are people skipping the "that's what consoles do the more units they sell and the further they are into their lifespan?" Certainly both competition and supply have affects as well, but why are people looking for just one thing to hold on their shoulders? :p

Why do you ask questions to which you already know the answers, Neo?

very nice find cthellis42!

seems indeed that IGN got it wrong and that PS2 reached the 80 million mark indeed 1 year and 4 months prior to PSone reaching it. Anything else would have surprised me, actually. PS2 has been outselling PSone since the day it went on sale, so this really, should come at no surprise.

very nice find cthellis42!

Not actually my find, Phil, but certainly my bookmark. ;) The link pops up now and then, and is a useful tidbit of overall tracking information. I wish the other companies wouldn't make me delve so much... :(

At any rate, to whoever posted the link first--you have more people thanking you! Hehe.

Oh, and please, it's just "cthellis" to friends! I'm only "cthellis42" to auditors and real estate agents. ;) (Actually I'm only "cthellis42" because I somehow fudged up my initial subscribing to the boards with my non-numbered account. Still have no idea what happened. <sigh> )

cthellis42 said:
Oh, and please, it's just "cthellis" to friends! I'm only "cthellis42" to auditors and real estate agents. ;) (Actually I'm only "cthellis42" because I somehow fudged up my initial subscribing to the boards with my non-numbered account. Still have no idea what happened. <sigh> )

Huh? Friends actually call u cthellis, cthellis42? How do u pronounce that anyway? :devilish:

Ok. All jokes aside, the PS2 was way ahead of the PS1 in the first two years because Sony did a better job with the PS2 than the PS. Now that there is some extra competition they've had to fight a little harder to keep their momentum going.

80M is a big achievement. It would be foolish to say otherwise, but I'm thinking it would be closer to 90M if it weren't for Xbox. No big deal in the short run. There are more than a few delusional people in this forum who think that Xbox users are all former PC gamers or something. Hardly. I know many PS owners that ended up with Xbox and not PS2.

Nevertheless, 80M is a very solid number for Sony.

Johnny Awesome said:
Ok. All jokes aside, the PS2 was way ahead of the PS1 in the first two years because Sony did a better job with the PS2 than the PS. Now that there is some extra competition they've had to fight a little harder to keep their momentum going.

80M is a big achievement. It would be foolish to say otherwise, but I'm thinking it would be closer to 90M if it weren't for Xbox. No big deal in the short run. There are more than a few delusional people in this forum who think that Xbox users are all former PC gamers or something. Hardly. I know many PS owners that ended up with Xbox and not PS2.

Nevertheless, 80M is a very solid number for Sony.

What's the point of saying "It would have been 90M if Xbox never existed..."?
I don't see Sony being worried about those 10M, cause by the end of 2005 they will have sold them.
The fact that "many PS1 owners ended up with Xbox" makes Sony's feat even the more impressive for attracting new customers who never bought a PS1. Or maybe all those PS1 owners got and Xbox and also a PS2, most certainly.

Personally I know of almost no one with an Xbox that didn't already have a PS2. Mainly because they kept on top of all the console gaming, and would pick up the "best and baddest" whenever it became available. I know a number of people who are purely GameCube, though...

Regardless, yes, it's easy to say any company would do better if their competition wasn't there. ;) No real way to state numbers, though. There's a good chance Nintendo would have benefitted more from an Xbox absence than Sony, though. (And probably have affected their aim during this generation, too.)

Definitely a solid milestone, though. ^_^ I'm curious as to how quickly this generation will start lagging after next one gets rolling, though. Developers are apt to support them better than last gen's, but still--it's hard to gauge all public interest.

I cannot see this awesome milestone as anything but an incredible positive not for Sony alone, but for the enitre industry and for gamers. It means that gaming continues to grow and we will not suffer another Atarization of the industry. The notion that the numbers are somehow fudged because of broken units, households with multiple units and shipped vs sold units is ludicrous because the same can be said for the other consoles .. including PSOne. In fact, I would say that PSOne continues to impress because it is well over the 100 million mark and continues to sell despite the fact that a vast numbers of units are in the secondhand market or hand-me-downs.

As a happy psone/ps2 owner, I've never viewed the entry of xbox as any kind of negative. If anything, I think it has pushed the ps2 developers to work harder to impress, and also kept Sony on its toes. If the current gen was only Nintendo vs Sony, then I can't see why Sony would be in such a hurry to make huge investments into the next gen. As such, the competition has really gotten a lot of people anticipating the next gen, and we may see even greater excitement when launch comes around than even this gen. I think xbox will continue to sell well b/c most ps2 owners are or moving onto their second and third consoles. I only wish that Nintendo had done a better job competing this gen.

Ty said:
jvd said:
why should we ?

They did it 4 months faster than the last system ? So what ? Shall we jump up and down when the xenon sells 20million systems faster than the xbox does and praise ms ?

It's not just that they managed to sell the same amount in 4 months less time but rather that they sold that many again. Whether you want to acknowledge it or not, selling as many as they did is a HUGE feat that they did twice no less.
How is it ? The market grows each year , its actually a let down that they didn't sell that many units faster , considering the market was willing to bear this many units 5 years ago .

Back