Pricing Discussions around AMD VEGA *over-flow*

Discussion in 'Architecture and Products' started by pharma, Aug 17, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Malo

Malo Yak Mechanicum
    Legend Veteran Subscriber

No I didn't, I searched for the cards. Black packs defined there which is different (or perhaps just far more clearly defined) than original communicaton.

Not according to Newegg's bundles.

2. CarstenS

Veteran Subscriber

Changed your mind so quickly?
    I guess AMD is the definite instance in terms of AMDs packs, right?

Kej and Mize like this.
  3. Mize

Mize 3dfx Fan
    Moderator Legend Veteran

So what happens to the rebates etc when we return the card?

;-P

4. Malo

Malo Yak Mechanicum

Well I don't know what's going on, it's terribly confusing as a consumer. What Newegg and Amazon have for sale doesn't match up to what AMD's original packages were nor match that PDF. There are packs available with motherboards and monitors etc, but according to that PDF if I bought a black pack, I should also be eligible for motherboard or Ryzen CPU discount, which I'm not.

pharma likes this.
  5. Mize

Mize 3dfx Fan
    Moderator Legend Veteran

All the packs I'm seeing on Newegg already include discounts of $100, $200 or $300.

BRiT likes this.
  6. Anarchist4000

Veteran Regular

More fab capacity than yields. If that BoA analyst report was accurate and AMD is 40-50% of consumer CPUs currently selling from 11%, they're making Zens as fast as they can. Easy decision for the person deciding to make $500 200mm2 or 484mm2 chips with a supply constraint.

Yet they are selling everything they produce at the inflated prices as soon as they hit shelves. There's no evidence the cards cost significantly more to where they aren't competitive. It's simple economics dictating prices and AMD should cash in. It sucks for gamers, but if the fab capacity isn't there only so much to be done. As for mining, I'd withholding judgement until someone optimized the algorithm for Vega and properly tunes one. The large firms would have done this and their results are undoubtedly above the public tools.

7. CarstenS

Veteran Subscriber

Yeah, all teh moneyz to AMD. If they can find enough people buying at the respective price points: Great for them.
    Personally, I apply the same mechanics like for games: Wait for the first patch (or couple of patches) and until it's on sale.

Vega56 without any strings attached with a leading 3 in a three-digit-price (you have to be careful now I guess), and it's within my range.

8. pharma

Veteran Regular

Lightman likes this.
  9. Malo

Malo Yak Mechanicum

Agreed, this is what will be ideal. I'll be waiting for AIB versions though, with the slightly higher price tag but much better designs.

10. ToTTenTranz

You mean the slide that says "Introducing Radeon Packs" in capital letters as its title, meaning anyone capable of reading titles should be able to understand the free games refer to the Packs mentioned in the previous slide and not the standalone cards?

Yeah the cards and the packs deals are all so bad they're sitting in the shelves and no one is buying them.
    Oh wait no, the exact opposite is happening.
    :runaway:

BacBeyond likes this.
  11. pharma

Veteran Regular

Typical bait and switch scam ....

12. Kaotik

Kaotik Drunk Member
    Legend

It's not.
    AMD has issued official statement
    They clearly state price of each SKU and that they're working all SKUs back in stock

13. Rootax

Veteran Newcomer

And it not due to miners( or they are stupid). And every "new" thing sell. Here in France it's out of stock a lot, but they received very few cards, so, yeaaahhhh they're out, but they had like 10.

14. CarstenS

Veteran Subscriber

Great! I hope there's not some hidden meaning in the missing connectin between mentioning past SEPs and future re-stocks.

15. ToTTenTranz

Thank you, but my advice is don't even bother replying. He's been pursuing that rhetoric even before the cards went for sale.
    Right now it's just short bursts of flamebait and little else.

Do you have any little shred of evidence about France getting "like 10" cards?
    The only retailer mentioning speed of sales is OCUK claiming 1000 units sold in 15 minutes.

Lightman likes this.
  16. CarstenS

Veteran Subscriber

Not to confirm or deny anyhting, but just fwiw:
    One of 3 Radeon Pack Partners in germany sold more than 265 Vega 64 (count probably ascending over time). https://www.mindfactory.de/Hardware/Grafikkarten+(VGA)/Radeon+RX+VEGA.html

17. Anarchist4000

Veteran Regular

Posted this morning, so may be some changes to the game bundles next week. I'm guessing the game bundle, Wolfenstein/SE4 and Prey, is standard now. Unclear if that's 1000 Vegas or 580s as the post listed both.

18. Geeforcer

Geeforcer Harmlessly Evil
    Veteran

We've seen this ALL before. I mean, you can search/replace "Fury" with "Vega" and 2015 with 2017 and not miss a beat:

AMD’s Radeon R9 Fury X All Sold Out On First Day Of Launch – Online Retailers in Restocking Phase

Shortages of AMD Radeon R9 Fury-series graphics cards persist

As far as Vega pricing, things will sort themselves out. Even if AMD never restocks the $500 SKU, it's not like anyone is forced to pay $600 at gunpoint for the card if they don't want to. If someone read the reviews and decided that a card at $500 price point was attractive but now can't find it at that price, it doesn't really help AMD. Whether they re-evaluate their purchasing decision and justify the addition of the two games at higher price, elect to wait and see whether $500 cards ever show up again or go with a competitor product, it's not like anyone ordered the card for $499 and is now being billed an additional $100. At most AMD is guilty of somewhat muddled messaging regarding the pricing, which when it comes to this launch is par the course.

Mize likes this.
  19. Rootax

Veteran Newcomer

In a website like LDLC or "materiel.net", the day RX Vega 64 launched, Sapphire and MSI "reference" cards were all "under 10" in stock, before being out of stock. OCUK claimed 70-100mh/s for Vega too. I don't believe they had 1000 units day 1. But that's just me.

20. ToTTenTranz