Predict: The Next Generation Console Tech

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thuway nothing more than a common user in neogaf.

That is what you are doing. Notice how I didn't use a laughing smily when responding to you?

I am not suggesting Ms will release something as weak as the Wii was I am suggesting the information that is being slowly put together suggests they aren't going down the road they previously travelled.

And doesn't the above all but confirm ms are betting the bank on Kinect?
Nothing wrong with :LOL:,and i really like this icon,it make me relax everytime

You can suggesting what you like of course,i just don't agree,same for Sony.

And we confirmed nothing about next-gen,people "confirming(thinking)" MS bet everything on Kinect in next-gen is because they push Kinect in late this gen,but it has nothing to do with next gen,next gen means new console,new console means a whole new start.與民更始.

Who is thuway on GAF?
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=46515083&postcount=2688

And how does he know what he knows.

What are his other aliases? Does he post on B3D?

He doesn't seem to know that much, as just before that post he was parroting one of bgassassin's statements from here to say that the two systems are a wash.

But that statement about the bandwidth could be true.
Rangers source told him it could access 1GB/frame at 60 fps which is pretty much the same as 68 GB/s.
Bgassassin also said it was DDR3 rather than DDR4.

Maybe he's just repeating some statements?

Maybe he's just repeating some statements?

Posssibly, but perhaps someone on GAF is telling him certain bits and pieces.

Since if he was just repeating stuff garnered from elsewhere, he'd seem to acknowledge it; given his previous posts l(ike how he referred to bgassassin's posts on here)
He seems to claim to know this stuff rather than hear it from elsewhere.

As it ties in well with what Rangers posted, and our exactly matches our speculation about it being DDR3 2133 on a 256 bit bus.

Thuway is a nothing more than a parrot. He listens to people with legit information and repeats said info ad nauseum.

:cool:

How appropriate that his avatar pic is a parrot then!

But seriously, i'm not on GAF, but if someone has a look at his posting history and see if he posted anything else that's credible it would be great.

DDR2133 would be a bit extreme no? Don't think they'd want to be stuck buying those chips for the next couple years.

Also is esram really that much slower than edram? And the differences between the 2 bandwidths only being ~30gb/s? That doesn't seem very balanced.

Last edited by a moderator:
If it's similar to 360, and the ESRAM is exclusively for render targets and the MSAA/Blending is dealt with by the ROPS interface to the memory which is faster than GPU's connection, then 100GB/s sounds about right.
It's about what you need for a 800Mhz 12 ROP part writing 16bits per component to never stall.
Any additional bandwidth would be wasted, any less would reduce the efficiency of writes in ROP bound scenarios.
My back of the envelope calculation.

800E6*12*2*4 ~77GB/s leaving you ~25 GB/s for Z

DDR2133 would be a bit extreme no? Don't think they'd want to be stuck buying those chips for the next couple years.

Also is esram really that much slower than edram? And the differences between the 2 bandwidths only being ~30gb/s? That doesn't seem very balanced.

Other people thought it was a good candidate
http://forum.beyond3d.com/showpost.php?p=1693635&postcount=18323

I'm guessing the ESRAM is probably more flexible (but slower) than Xenos' EDRAM, it can be written to by both the CPU & GPU so can be used for more than just framebuffer operations.

If it's similar to 360, and the ESRAM is exclusively for render targets and the MSAA/Blending is dealt with by the ROPS interface to the memory which is faster than GPU's connection, then 100GB/s sounds about right.
It's about what you need for a 800Mhz 12 ROP part writing 16bits per component to never stall.
Any additional bandwidth would be wasted, any less would reduce the efficiency of writes in ROP bound scenarios.
My back of the envelope calculation.

800E6*12*2*4 ~77GB/s leaving you ~25 GB/s for Z

Question, if they had gone with UMA GDDR5 with 192 GB/S they wouldn't have needed the Esram right?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back