Xbox One Architecture Panel *Main Console HW Points* Transcript

Discussion in 'Console Technology' started by Warchild, Jun 27, 2013.

1. Warchild

Newcomer

Main Points i have compiled from the Architecture Panel in case anyone missed them:

2. Rangers

Legend

interesting, are those anything novel or just standard stuff? i assume the latter.

interestingly they seem to almost stress the esram latency, but it's so vague and dumbed down it's hard to tell.

3. Warchild

Newcomer

I'm not sure but the multiple power states intrigues me:
    So i'm guessing 100w+ when playing demanding games? Who mentioned the console was only 100w only?

4. (((interference)))

Veteran

Those are just the move engines we've known about for ages.

5. onQ

onQ
    Veteran

"We added lot's of memory both system memory and flash cache in order to have that simultaneous and instantaneous action."

First time hearing about the flash cache how much flash cache are they talking about or is this just the esRam?

6. Rangers

Legend

Yeah I was wondering about that reference too.

7. SenjutsuSage

Newcomer

http://www.denali.com/wordpress/index.php/dmr/2010/04/26/what-is-a-flash-cache

Is this what he's talking about?

8. smerfy

Newcomer

9. Shifty Geezer

Shifty Geezer uber-Troll!
    Moderator Legend

10. aaaaa00

Regular

Actually this is probably why the 500 GB hard disk isn't user-replaceable: it's not a normal hard disk.

The Xbox One is probably using a hybrid hard drive: flash memory used as a cache to speed up load times, combined with a rotational hard disk for capacity.

Probably something similar to this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822178339

#10 aaaaa00, Jun 27, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 27, 2013
  11. Rangers

Legend

Oooh, that would be really nice, depending on size. Sounds a little too good to be true though. If so why haven't they talked this up?

12. dumbo11

Regular

In the sense of HDD caching? I can't think of any circumstance where that would be useful for a game in a next-gen console.

HDD caching is great for desktops/servers, with multiple applications, or applications that start/stop all the time. For a game, I can't see how that would help.

(you could dump the hibernate data into flash RAM during shutdown to provide an accelerated startup - but that wouldn't really be a 'cache').

It may be he's refering to the ESRAM essentially being a "system-managed cache". That would work basically the same as that article describes, but for RAM->ESRAM rather than HDD->flash/memory.

13. ToTTenTranz

Legend Veteran Subscriber

I think that if it was a hybrid drive, they would have mentioned it as a selling point.

14. Warchild

Newcomer

Yeah hopefully it is ram but i wouldn't hold my breath. It's probably the standard 500gb hybrid drive with 100gb of ssd flash cache. I know the ocz vertex 4 has 512mb of ddr3 ram used for cache, but i doubt the xbox one is using ddr3 as cache from the hdd. Probably just ssd.

15. Scott_Arm

Legend

What is the win for putting a flash cache in RAM? I get why you'd put a flash cache on a HDD. The ESRAM makes sense, because it has its own faster bus. Is it possible he called the ESRAM flash for some reason?

16. Warchild

Newcomer

I'll watch it again but the panel interview was all over the place, they would jump from one point to the next and would go back to talking about optimization.

17. Kb-Smoker

Regular

I didnt notice before the ops per cycle was given for the cpu. So much for that secret sauce for cpu. :lol:

That whats going to be in my ps4 but its the 1TB version.... :wink:

18. BoardBonobo

BoardBonobo My hat is white!
    Veteran

Looking at the 1TB version it only appears to have an 8GB cache... The 750GB comes with a 64GB cache. Not sure why that is.

19. Warchild

Newcomer

Sounds interesting how transistors are in the cloud. Question is, how much are we available to have?

20. Lalaland

Regular

Transistors in the cloud is really awkward way of describing the vCPU and vRAM allocation you contract for with MS. From the silence on what the actual resources available in the cloud are and the Titanfall devs post about negotiating pricing with MS I'm going to say "how much you have = what you pay for".

I'm going to nail my colours to the mast and say you're getting 0GB of SSD storage. That's a real benefit and I can't see MS choosing to do this and then not trumpeting this from the high heavens. Even at the volumes MS would be buying 128GB of NAND + controller logic is not cheap and would probably rival the cost of the APU in any BOM analysis. I'm going to presume he meant a scratchpad in RAM either from the memory reserved by the O/S or just in main RAM.