Predict: The Next Generation Console Tech

Status
Not open for further replies.
It was also rendered with MSAA which was removed completely in favour of FXAA to get it running on a single GTX 680.

Plus the demo was never that impressive to begin with; the 'volumetric light beam' (I am sure they were aiming for that) from the robot was almost comical.
Keep in mind that it was UE3 with some added effects; an engine that is pretty outdated and un optimised as well.

Samaritan and even Elemental demo did not impress me [except some effects that they achieved by using brute force].

On the other hand, SW1313 really made my jaw drop and showed me what talented team of GAME DEVELOPERS [not 10man team that consists of programers] can make if they are not confined to the 7th gen console hw. Agni was also impressive, but it was clearly not designed to have playable sections.

I thought both 1313 (although I hope the gameplay is more than just an uncharted ripoff) and Watch Dogs looked next gen and demonstrated pretty handily how much more capable current PC's are than what's usually run on them.

You can eliminate me from that. I'm going on hiatus (hopefully permanently) in a couple of weeks. While I wanted to learn more about PS4 and Xbox 3 and have enjoyed the discussions and arguments, I have some other things I want to focus on.

vaderrrnoooo.jpg Not our precious source!

You'll be back, I predict :p

Alternate quip: you're taking the news of the Wii U's lack of power pretty hard eh? :p

Just stick it out for the next year til next boxes hit. I find myself getting pretty bored with games (though I still enjoy the occasional Triple A finely crafted SP experience, Gears/Halo/etc), but I expect to be heavy on forums another 1-2 years just to enjoy all the next gen hardware info and drama.

This quote started from Acert93 on other thread
http://beyond3d.com/showpost.php?p=1662636&postcount=310

MS:
Scalable Patent
Subscription Based
Kinect2

look at MS patent
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-microsoft-scalable-platform-patent
At fig 3B, show as 3GPU
at fig 3A, 2GPU

If MS targetting combined OS effort plus extensive RD maybe all leak
are true, MS will have several or different version of xbox next.
the Lowest maybe 2+TF, also MS targetting for 2-3 year of tommorow
GPU design.

such an idea would hurt them, having 7 xbox types on display would make thing catastrophic on shelves.

Only ONE console should be soled on a shelf, ONE that can be universal if necessary, if that's the rout of scaling they wish to go. and it should be primarily a console and not a PC as it can void a warranty when tampering with, so they should be looking into external upgrading if they're thinking about "Scalable".

such an idea would hurt them, having 7 xbox types on display would make thing catastrophic on shelves.

Only ONE console should be soled on a shelf, ONE that can be universal if necessary, if that's the rout of scaling they wish to go. and it should be primarily a console and not a PC as it can void a warranty when tampering with, so they should be looking into external upgrading if they're thinking about "Scalable".

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=42768547&postcount=941
Above link posted almost same time as i posted on neogaf
with almost the same info as i am

But forget to put scalable patent link

Imho, we got so many leak, many patent related with or not wth Xbox next
from MS. we don't know exactly what MS up to.
but for Beast version (if there is any :) ) between MS or Sony, i think MS can afford and better prepared than Sony.

I thought both 1313 (although I hope the gameplay is more than just an uncharted ripoff) and Watch Dogs looked next gen and demonstrated pretty handily how much more capable current PC's are than what's usually run on them.

You say uncharted ripoff likes it's a bad thing. ;)

The beauty of a scalable design is that you don't have to introduce all possible scenarios at once.They could introduce them as needed, and even remove some models (even if it is to reintroduce another one with similar performance).

Also, Ms has a precedence of having more than one SKU. 360 launched with 2 options, at a point of it's life it even went as high as 3, and even now there two basic SKUs, each bundled with kinect or not, so that's 4 different SKUs... And it didn't hurt them... On the contrary, once they had sort out the right prices and features for all SKUs their sales increased.

Above link posted almost same time as i posted on neogaf
with almost the same info as i am

But forget to put scalable patent link

Imho, we got so many leak, many patent related with or not wth Xbox next
from MS. we don't know exactly what MS up to.
but for Beast version (if there is any :) ) between MS or Sony, i think MS can afford and better prepared than Sony.

Interesting coincidence, but yeah it only would make sense. If there was a beast version of the next xbox (in terms of actual better computational power) it would probably end up replacing the rest anyways. strictly based on that fact that it will play ALL of it's games to the best of it's abilities, while the price drops.

As for "affording", It should be no secret that Microsoft has tons of revenue to invest in a console NOW after coining XBL, DLC, and the 360 for 7+ years....those are positive numbers. If any company would be able to make one and be hurt in the least it'd be them this time around.

what i think is if Microsoft is to make such beast machine they should secure it and not disclose official statistics. when you start boasting you're liable in some ways, I mean it wouldn't be a beast if you saw it coming for one thing.;-)

they should focus more on the unveiling and presentation of it's games and demonstrating them live. for sony, they don't have to budget their presentation of games and make their console weak, but they should look into what's bloating their spending on what they pick to get the job done.

they should be turning their ideas into to profit so that they can reinvest over and over when that time comes, or it will be their last console they'll ever make. which aint too good.

Also, Ms has a precedence of having more than one SKU. 360 launched with 2 options, at a point of it's life it even went as high as 3, and even now there two basic SKUs, each bundled with kinect or not, so that's 4 different SKUs... And it didn't hurt them... On the contrary, once they had sort out the right prices and features for all SKUs their sales increased.

It's true they came up with the idea in the first place but better performance could easily concern potential buyers. why buy the model if it ends up being booted?

In this generation it was done for small reasons and "in a sense" even if buyers got the cheaper version they would still be able to catch up if necessary and be as good as the pro versions. with better and weaker specs the only way to catch up is to take your console, sell it, and be that much closer to the better version.....:smile2:

early on i mentioned the idea of external expansions, that too could cause a grate catastrophic problem if no ideal specs are chosen for all the developers to accept. the only alternative probable way to get such an improvement without being so different from one an other would be a "system link".

two consoles of the same type unify resources for better graphics at 1080p or beyond at 60 fps. (which ever.)

however if the console has 8 gigs of memory and is 4 Tflops of total power you would have a total combined of 16 gigabytes of memory and 8 Tflops of power............you'd be god fearing at that point.:oops:

and it would be perfectly legit because it's just two preset consoles connecting. food for thought.:smile2:

The Steambox will/is able to have yearly updates. They are already making guidelines for the baseline hardware, all games have to run on that properly to receive certification, from there they can increase assets, but the core game has to be the same. After 3 years the baseline changes and developers will have the choice to support the older hardware as well.
The reason why they think this will work is because they will 100% know how the demographic is built up because everything will be download only 24/7 connected.
If only 3% are using the 'old' hardware then the developer knows it's not necessary to optimise for that.

The reason for all this is because Valve already planned a x86 console with off the shelve hardware and they found out it was a constant changing target.
Also, the steambox will run it's own OS, and it won't be windows based. At this moment, only the internal development groups have access to the proposed hardware spec. It might change but will launch after spec finalisation of the next batch of consoles. Also it will be backwards compatible with most big titles already in the steam account, plus every box launches with the orange box and both portal titles. The target is 400 dollars. Primary method is a controller which will have the same number of buttons as an xbox controller.

the only alternative probable way to get such an improvement without being so different from one an other would be a "system link".

two consoles of the same type unify resources for better graphics at 1080p or beyond at 60 fps. (which ever.)

Have you ever seen this:

gran-turismo.com/sg/news/d6230p2.html said:
http://www.gran-turismo.com/sg/news/d6230p2.html

[...]

Gran Turismo in 4 times the resolution of Full HD

[...]

003a.jpg

[...]

The Ultra-Real, 240fps Demonstration

[...]

007a.jpg

[...]

?

:mrgreen:;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Have you ever seen this:

?

:mrgreen:;)

......yes that would be just about it. where did this come from? i guess i'm a bit behind.:oops:

that would be perfect for needing higher resolutions and 60 fps without the hassles of fishing for parts and knowing where they go, and everyone would be able to pull it off without voiding a warranty. VERY ideal.

The steam box is also a good idea too from valve. things change over time, 7 to 8 years is way too long to be without bumping things up to new standards.

take one of those two ideas and a 24x generational leap could very easily happen. though you will need a big wallet to purchase 4 consoles. no more than 2 consoles should be required, as it saves money and space tremendously.

I like the Sony idea of nesting PS3's to split the graphics into 4 1080p zones and let 4 PS3's render and then merge them into a final 4k @ 60hz image. Although I think it would be better to have a special stereoscopic sku which is double gpu power of a standard model. Then you could have 4 1080p zones at 120hz each for a final 4k @ 120hz stereoscopic image.

Sony could create a special Playstation 4 Quad Bundle at the Sony store. 4 stereoscopic PS4's and a 4k OLED TV or 4k SXRD projector and you get a signed letter of appreciation from Kaz Hirai to hang on your wall and a special Avatar for the PS network. During the first year of the bundle each person gets entered into a contest to hang out at Polyphony Digital for a day with Kaz.

It's true they came up with the idea in the first place but better performance could easily concern potential buyers. why buy the model if it ends up being booted?

As long as they keep compatibility with said model for a few years then it's not a problem... People are willing to upgrade their devices eventually, this would allow Ms to shorter that time, and would give consumers the guarantee that newer models would be 100% compatible with every single app/game released, which also is more of a luxury than the norm regarding consoles.

In this generation it was done for small reasons and "in a sense" even if buyers got the cheaper version they would still be able to catch up if necessary and be as good as the pro versions. with better and weaker specs the only way to catch up is to take your console, sell it, and be that much closer to the better version.....:smile2:
I agree that's potentially true, but can easily solved... Ms could launch a base model and guarantee that every single game released on the platform for the next X years (and there's no reason that X couldn't be as high as this generation has lasted), and so upgrading your console becomes a choice and not a need, and the consumer wouldn't perceive it anymore different than buying a newer phone or Pc, that run the same applications as before, but better.

Does it mean that we aren't going to see you in the forums regularly? :cry: :no: I certainly enjoy your posts a lot, whether they are always accurate or not -mine aren't I can tell you, and I am fine with it-, it's always interesting to know those things.

Beyond3D is really a great place to be, we are lucky we can share opinions with some nice people! :smile:

My plan is not even occasionally on any boards. I've enjoyed my stint here and learned a lot from the different posters here.

vaderrrnoooo.jpg Not our precious source!

You'll be back, I predict :p

Alternate quip: you're taking the news of the Wii U's lack of power pretty hard eh? :p

Just stick it out for the next year til next boxes hit. I find myself getting pretty bored with games (though I still enjoy the occasional Triple A finely crafted SP experience, Gears/Halo/etc), but I expect to be heavy on forums another 1-2 years just to enjoy all the next gen hardware info and drama.

Nah. It's time for me to move on and not come back if I want to focus properly. I'll probably check out the next E3 and maybe keep an eye out to see if MS and/or Sony do an announcement before then.

where did this come from? i guess i'm a bit behind.:oops:

What do you mean with "where did this come from?"?

The link is inside the post (above the pictures) ;). Or what do you mean?

I like the Sony idea of nesting PS3's to split the graphics into 4 1080p zones and let 4 PS3's render and then merge them into a final 4k @ 60hz image.

Just came across this:

http://www.gtplanet.net/gran-turismo-tech-demo-shown-running-at-4k-resolution/

:mrgreen:

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back