Predict: The Next Generation Console Tech

Status
Not open for further replies.
How is a machine with 13x the effective performance "like" the 360. It isn't. <- That is a period.

13x the effectiveness could still translate to only 1080p for the first year and then sink back down to 720p, in much sense like the 360 and ps3.

The kind of graphics a 4TFLOP system could produce is frightening.

It's Ideal and Actually it would be about what we saw in the vids back in 05's and 06's E3, only thing is it'll finally happen but it still might not be GCI level just yet. it would be plenty enough to brake the chains of what's plaguing the industry, plastic poker faces and AI that bumps around a lot.:smile2:

COPS N RAPPERS said:
13x the effectiveness could still translate to only 1080p for the first year and then sink back down to 720p, in much sense like the 360 and ps3.
If you desire to persist in a delusion, that is your business. It is certainly not my concern.

Sorry, I could not find the original post, but it evolves from a rumor made by a supposed Microsoft insider around the web "20... 5T,8T - 4G, 6G ...13"

So pure especulation.

This quote started from Acert93 on other thread
http://beyond3d.com/showpost.php?p=1662636&postcount=310

MS:
Scalable Patent
Subscription Based
Kinect2

look at MS patent
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-microsoft-scalable-platform-patent
At fig 3B, show as 3GPU
at fig 3A, 2GPU

If MS targetting combined OS effort plus extensive RD maybe all leak
are true, MS will have several or different version of xbox next.
the Lowest maybe 2+TF, also MS targetting for 2-3 year of tommorow
GPU design.

I remember the PS2 TOOL having 128MB of additional ram, as wel as a +500mhz intel processor. (It actually had a whole PC inside). Now this is not really comparable but still.
Recent xbox 360 development kits actually have 1GB of ram inside.

So, has there ever been a case where the development kit had the same amount of ram as the actual consumer end product?
"Bu-bu-but 8GB durango 4TF 16 core!!!!!!!!"
^ :rolleyes:

Do you accept that pixel quality is an issue that can be judged along side pixel quantity?

And framerate! I could see some games opting for < 1080p in order to achieve both prettier pixels and locked 60fps. I think using one metric to determine the graphical fidelity of a game is extremely narrow-minded and I'm happy to allow developers to make the determination of what balance of resolution/effects/framerate yields the best results for their game.

And framerate! I could see some games opting for < 1080p in order to achieve both prettier pixels and locked 60fps. I think using one metric to determine the graphical fidelity of a game is extremely narrow-minded and I'm happy to allow developers to make the determination of what balance of resolution/effects/framerate yields the best results for their game.

So if you think developers will drop 1080p for prettier pixels why do you expect them to have 60fps?

Pre-2010 Xbox 360 dev kits had 512mb.

Yes but it's somewhat unusual case, in so far as the memory for the retail console changed VERY late in development after the kits had been manufactured.
It needn't be 2x but ideally devkits have more memory than retail units, debug executables are bigger, it's often desirable to run with suboptimal assets in development because it can make iteration times shorter, and sometimes it's just easier to jam the feature in now and figure out how to get the memory for it later.

BGAssassin and other people who might have some interesting info about the new generation, could be our only sources to know info about Durango, because companies like Sony with their new PS4 and Microsoft aren't going to be forthcoming with info.

You can eliminate me from that. I'm going on hiatus (hopefully permanently) in a couple of weeks. While I wanted to learn more about PS4 and Xbox 3 and have enjoyed the discussions and arguments, I have some other things I want to focus on.

Last year when I asked where I could go to get caught back up on current tech, B3D was recommended to me. I think this place did very well in doing that for me. :D

You can eliminate me from that. I'm going on hiatus (hopefully permanently) in a couple of weeks. While I wanted to learn more about PS4 and Xbox 3 and have enjoyed the discussions and arguments, I have some other things I want to focus on.

Last year when I asked where I could go to get caught back up on current tech, B3D was recommended to me. I think this place did very well in doing that for me. :D
Does it mean that we aren't going to see you in the forums regularly? :cry: :no: I certainly enjoy your posts a lot, whether they are always accurate or not -mine aren't I can tell you, and I am fine with it-, it's always interesting to know those things.

Beyond3D is really a great place to be, we are lucky we can share opinions with some nice people! :smile:

So if you think developers will drop 1080p for prettier pixels why do you expect them to have 60fps?

Because some have already done so in the past. Not every game benefits the same from it, but fast paced shooters, action and racing games will probably be 60fps. That doesn't mean everyone should, as a slow paced rpg might better use those resources.

Because at a (very) basic level, the 3 main characteristics of a game's graphics are number of pixels, fidelity of those pixels (which is a really broad category covering things like maximum number of polygons in a scene, texture quality, post processing effects, AA, etc.) and framerate. With a finite amount of processing/bandwidth resources available a developer has to make trade-offs between the amount of resources being dedicated to each of those characteristics. I think it's myopic to believe that one should always be prioritized over the other two.

And framerate!

Yes! Not only can high and stable frame rate lead to a more responsive game and more consistent gameplay experience, but it can also be more immersive and emotionally engaging (as with cinema/tv). The optimal use of hardware all depends on the developer's objectives, and they should be free to make the best use of hardware that they can. The overwhelming focus this generation has been on resolution and in some ways that may have been damaging.

I understand from some comments relating to the OG Xbox and the PS3 that one hardware choice that makes maintaining stable, 60hz games is dedicated render target BW, as there are no BW contention issues. For this reason alone I would hope that we see small pools of very high BW memory that can be used for render targets next gen (even if it's not exclusively for that purpose).

*checks thread tags for duct tape* ಠ_ಠ
One of my favourite flags, although my favourite is the 1 billion troops flag, :LOL: that's hilarious.

my salary is like $2/hour with internship so $26 is like cheapest console launch ever and 6 GoogolplexFlops.

:cry::cry::cry: Tears of joy.
To be perfectly honest, I would be pretty surprised if the new PS4 and Xbox 720 cost more than 400-500€.

If you take into account that the Xbox 360 was a total beast :oops: that gave the most powerful PCs a run for their money when it was launched and it cost 400€ at launch, a 2-4 teraflops console seems to be very feasible by today's standards at that price.

Well the first Samaritan demo ran on three Nvidia GTX 580's which is around 1.5 teraflops. So thats about 4.5 teraflops of demo performance.

cosidering overhead, lack of optimization, and bokeh abuse, i think that nobody must care about the 3 580 used

Well the first Samaritan demo ran on three Nvidia GTX 580's which is around 1.5 teraflops. So thats about 4.5 teraflops of demo performance.

It was also rendered with MSAA which was removed completely in favour of FXAA to get it running on a single GTX 680.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back