Predict: The Next Generation Console Tech

Status
Not open for further replies.
Durango Dev Kits are in alpha or beta state?

If a word that comes out of DaE is true, supposedly alpha (makes sense too).

That is why I'm not really expecting any rumored spec updates until such time as beta kits, whenever that may be (wild guess it may even be spring 2013?).

Shifty is right, that patent, as shown, does not say anything about whether a kinect sensor will be included in every box. It does, however, show that the magical room projector appears to be able to pass right through objects like the sensor without leaving shadows on the wall...

I'd guess the idea is the room is covered in carbon nanotube wallpaper. Carbon nanotubes have tremendous potential for holographic displays.

I'd guess the idea is the room is covered in carbon nanotube wallpaper. Carbon nanotubes have tremendous potential for holographic displays.
The patent is for a projected image. Unless carbon nanotubes can reflect light obscured by other objects in the way of the projector, it's not going to help with cast shadows. ;) The projector would need to be placed much further back, either on the floor in front of the player or on the ceiling. It's not a bad idea, but I don't see it being a commercial product any time soon.

But MS really want to push kinect?
Actually is heavely underutilized, maybe in the next generation they will keep it as an accessory just to differentiate, but not as a mark for the new platform

But MS really want to push kinect?
Actually is heavely underutilized, maybe in the next generation they will keep it as an accessory just to differentiate, but not as a mark for the new platform

I'd say it is 95% certain that they'll include Kinect with the next box, and obviously it wouldnt' be built into the chassis, since you'll want to have some flexibility as to positioning the sensors.

I'd say it is 95% certain that they'll include Kinect with the next box, and obviously it wouldnt' be built into the chassis, since you'll want to have some flexibility as to positioning the sensors.

I'd be surprised if there aren't two SKUs, one with Kinect and one without.

I'd be surprised if there aren't two SKUs, one with Kinect and one without.

Like now? No, I am willing to bet against that. Kinect 2.0 needs and will be included by default, for voice control for media functions, games, browsing, touch style interfacing and what not, and it is going to be 100x more effective if everyone has one.

Like now? No, I am willing to bet against that. Kinect 2.0 needs and will be included by default, for voice control for media functions, games, browsing, touch style interfacing and what not, and it is going to be 100x more effective if everyone has one.

If MS want Kinect to be taken seriously they need add it on all packs.

There is probably a new SDK every month, or possibly every other month, I can't remember MS's release schedule, but it's regular, either monthly, or bi-monthly.
The time you'll likely start seeing leaks is when real devkits start shipping in quantity, which is unlikely to be this year even with a 2013 launch.

Hehe and this is from previous update, from June.

Added a new secret platform (contact us for details).

There is probably a new SDK every month, or possibly every other month, I can't remember MS's release schedule, but it's regular, either monthly, or bi-monthly.
The time you'll likely start seeing leaks is when real devkits start shipping in quantity, which is unlikely to be this year even with a 2013 launch.

Will those be the same kits that arrived earlier this year or beta kits?

I'm talking about "final" kits. i.e. If MS follows their usual pattern devkits with retail or close to retail silicon in them.
There is no real Alpha/Beta/Final Cycle with devkits, what people refer to as Alpha kits are usually marginally representative of the final hardware, but are largely about having a target with the real OS/API's on it.
Beta kits are usually based on early revisions of real silicon and often available in low quantities, the OS guys obviously need them and if the final silicon is very late devs working on launch titles will see one version or another of them.

I was told by a reliable source that Durango's GPU is Cape Verde, but somehow it has twice the capabilites. Still not sure what thats supposed to mean.

I was told by a reliable source that Durango's GPU is Cape Verde, but somehow it has twice the capabilites. Still not sure what thats supposed to mean.
Why would they use Cape Verde with "twice the capabilites" if they have a lot better choice(whatever route they going)?It's sounds pretty expensive

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back