Predict: The Next Generation Console Tech

Status
Not open for further replies.

Just saying what lherre said xD:

In my opinion I won't put the difference between ps4/xb3 and wii u as the difference between ps2 and xbox. I'll put it bigger than xbox-dc (performance, here it appears that only the gpu is the "main" part in a console ... I think ps3 show us that the cpu can do great things if there is room for it).This is why I said some time ago that I'm interested in the bussiness approach of the companies this "next" gen.

You can't have personal opinion when you have spec sheet in front of you. DC - Xbox difference in GPU performance is huge. Would be nice, but, hard to believe.

They are same generation though. If it's the case i think Wii u should be pleased.

I remember at the time PS2 versions of multiplats didn't look better than DC (before it was canned), and PS2 was a competitor to Xbox.

If lherre's is still accurate this time,nextbox&PS4 performance once again will be very close(that's what i predict)

They are same generation though. If it's the case i think Wii u should be pleased.

I remember at the time PS2 versions of multiplats didn't look better than DC (before it was canned), and PS2 was a competitor to Xbox.
Visually, difference between Xbox and DC is what you could call generational (there were even some games on Xbox that were 720p), not sure why would Nintendo be pleased.

But I think we should get back on topic not to get another spin off thread :)

It was leaked the day after MS presented in private to EA, I was in the presentation along with about 100-150 other people (no I didn't leak it).

I don't know if they ever tracked down who in the meeting leaked it, that leak probably guaranteed that EA are being much more careful internally with the information this time.

Leaks happen as the number of people with the information increases, most seem to come from none technical people, and usually more junior people from what I can tell, probably a function of having less to lose.

Most interesting.

I also remember, on other forums, people saying the leaked docs were fake. Turned out they weren't.

Hi everyone, I have been out from this thread for a long time (+ 6 months ?:rolleyes:) would a very kind person please summarize the latest state of the art most credible speculations of xboxnext/ps4 technical specifications ? where are we now in this timeline of speculations regarding the CPU (how many cores ? frequency ?) RAM (GDDR or DDR4 ? bandwidth ? 2-4 or 6 Gb ? edram still a possibility for GPUs ? flash memory ?...nvidia or amd for nextxbox ?....
thanks in advance :smile:

Hi everyone, I have been out from this thread for a long time (+ 6 months ?:rolleyes:) would a very kind person please summarize the latest state of the art most credible speculations of xboxnext/ps4 technical specifications ? where are we now in this timeline of speculations regarding the CPU (how many cores ? frequency ?) RAM (GDDR or DDR4 ? bandwidth ? 2-4 or 6 Gb ? edram still a possibility for GPUs ? flash memory ?...nvidia or amd for nextxbox ?....

Durango
16 core CPU or 4 core jaguar
8GB ram or 3/4 GB ram
Dual AMD GPUs or AMD 6670
Two pc duck taped together or TV media box.

I'd think
4-6 cores
2GB-6GB
AMD HD6-7, embedded memory backward compatibility ?
I suppose Kinect 2 in the box.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=42110464&postcount=2662

lherre seems to think the difference between Durango/Orbis and Wii U is greater than x3.

And he specifically mentions the GPU when he says this.

If WiiU has a 600GFLOPS GPU (and recent rumour supports this no.) then thats 1.8TFLOPS, which is not surprisingly the exact number we have rumoured for the PS4.

I suppose the WiiU number could be lower, the PS4/Durango higher, since he says "greater than 3x" and not just "3x".

In then end though its meaningless as even my FLOPS numbers are a bit useless.

All i care for is that PS4 and Durango are beasts, and that they are comparable to each other in performance (although I clear winner would mean I only need to buy one console next gen, thus easier on my wallet :D)

Most of them say 8GB DDR3, probably 8 low power Jaguar cores, and a 1 teraflop ("+") Cape Verde-ish GPU. So far...

I suppose the WiiU number could be lower, the PS4/Durango higher, since he says "greater than 3x" and not just "3x".

That post from lherre doesn't have any "x" in it. Am I missing something?

If WiiU has a 600GFLOPS GPU (and recent rumour supports this no.) then thats 1.8TFLOPS, which is not surprisingly the exact number we have rumoured for the PS4.

In then end though its meaningless as even my FLOPS numbers are a bit useless.

All i care for is that PS4 and Durango are beasts, and that they are comparable to each other in performance (although I clear winner would mean I only need to buy one console next gen, thus easier on my wallet :D)

He's actually repudiating the people in that thread who are bandying about the 600GFlop figure to claim the PS4 will "only" be 3x as powerful as the WiiU. He says the delta is more like that between the Dreamcast and Xbox which is closer to 10x. (the implication, of course, that the WiiU number is much lower, or the PS4 number is way over 2TFlops. You decide what's more likely).

Last edited by a moderator:
He's actually repudiating the people in that thread who are bandying about the 600GFlop figure to claim the PS4 will "only" be 3x as powerful as the WiiU. He says the delta is more like that between the Dreamcast and Xbox which is closer to 10x. (the implication, of course, that the WiiU number is much lower, or the PS4 number is way over 2TFlops. You decide what's more likely).

Ah thanks guys... couldn't access the source from my work computer. So I was just going off the guy in this thread's post. :p

Wow then... seems like either WiiU is really poor, or PS4/Durango are gonna be real bonafide monsters :D

(Of course all according to nebulous, vague, off-hand quotes ;-))

What "Same SOI design" mean? Can the Wii U' CPU be "weak" even if based on Power7?

SOI refers to Silicon On Insulator, which is a manufacturing process. It has very little to do with the actual design of the CPU. Basically, the tweet is Nintendo hyping up their CPU. It has zero information content.

FWIW I recently heard an executive at a major publisher describe Wuu in relation to PS3 and though I won't repeat what he said here, but I would be surprised if the 600 GFlop rumor was even close.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back