Predict: The Next Generation Console Tech

Status
Not open for further replies.
We need another NeoGeo-like console that blows away XB3/PS4, maybe the rumored Steam Box ;)

With dual high-end Keplers!

I've been advocating such a thing for years. I'd love it. I'd even be willing to pay 80 or 90 bucks for it's games.

Sadly, anything but mainstream/volume is just no longer a valid strategy in the market.

A large amount of DDR3 cache could really make some sense based on those prices. Maybe moreso than flash cache.

However I wonder if DDR3 prices can be counted on to stay low many years into the future?

I know trying to get DRR2 for my Q6600 is pretty expensive now, for example, where desktop DDR3 is dirt cheap.

I heard a rumor Skype will be a prominent part of next Xbox BTW. Predictable of course.

We need another NeoGeo-like console that blows away XB3/PS4, maybe the rumored Steam Box ;)

With dual high-end Keplers!
Yeah, about time someone stands up to this misery I say. While not necessarily a dual 690gtx but something that actually belongs to the high end spectrum if it's not too much to ask.

I've been advocating such a thing for years. I'd love it. I'd even be willing to pay 80 or 90 bucks for it's games.

Sadly, anything but mainstream/volume is just no longer a valid strategy in the market.

I could imagine a NeoGeo like Steam Box using a high-end Intel CPU, plus the next-generation of Intel's MIC architecture, the current version being in the upcoming Knight's Corner. Then if this Box ships in 2014, it gets dual high-en Maxwell GPUs from Nvidia. In comparison the XB3/PS4 would be like the TurboGrafx-16/Genesis and it would be like comparing those, to the Neo-Geo :)

Mind you, I'm currently drunk :)

Last edited by a moderator:
The only chance we have for exotic, arcade-style custom hardware is the cloud. There's no real reason OnLive has to use bog standard PC specs, other than the fact they are dependent on Windows builds of games. In the future you could see Sony or MS delivering games streamed via Roku/Apple TV style pucks and plowing the money they previously used to subsidize consumer hardware into a crazy powerful game server platform.

The only chance we have for exotic, arcade-style custom hardware is the cloud. There's no real reason OnLive has to use bog standard PC specs, other than the fact they are dependent on Windows builds of games. In the future you could see Sony or MS delivering games streamed via Roku/Apple TV style pucks and plowing the money they previously used to subsidize consumer hardware into a crazy powerful game server platform.

With the only problem being the games still look like ass because of compression artifacts. If they want to improve the way cloud games look they need a massive investment in isp infrastructure. Better hardware won't do much until they fix that.

Err, no offense but, we know NOTHING about next gen consoles yet...dont believe the hype!

But at this stage we can reasonably assume they are not powerful enough to run UE4 outright as opposed to a Kepler card. Don't get me wrong I hope the consoles are as powerful as they can be but my faith in them is not 100%.

oh neat.

5.0Gb/s 1GB GDDR5 (8 chips) -> $21.57.
5.0Gb/s 2GB GDDR5 (8 chips) -> $43.13.
6.0Gb/s 2GB GDDR5 (8 chips) -> $56.77

Look at how cheap DDR3 is. :p

tsk tsk...

Is that table correct ?

GTX580 size processor is only $120 ? Isn't GTX580 one massive chip ? Or has manufacturing cost gone down alot in the last few years ?

I think RSX + GDDR cost Sony around $130 for PS3 launched according to iSupply. So Sony can budget PS4 with 400+mm2 GPU ?

With the only problem being the games still look like ass because of compression artifacts. If they want to improve the way cloud games look they need a massive investment in isp infrastructure. Better hardware won't do much until they fix that.

Granted. This is a ubiquitous fiber era I'm talking about.

No longer a valid strategy? It never was! Uber power, uber expensive consoles flunked, because there just aren't enough people willing to spend that much. And if such a console was released, it'd be bad for everyone. Those uber gamers would spend their money away from PS4/XB3, wasting it on a still-born platform and not contributing to the development of the mainstream console who'd then perhaps struggle a little more with getting started or turning an early profit. And if the major consoles are going to be getting less money, it behooves them to cut back in places. Fragmenting the core console userbase would be a Bad Idea!

Charlie just released picture of four IMB Power7+ chips conneted over one interposer. :) This would be perfect for X720.
IBM_Power_7_plus.jpg

OK, so IBM is laying out the law on advanced packaging, and no one else has shown this type of tech, not to mention anything on this scale. Could it get any better? Sure it can. What if I told you that the interposer wasn’t a passive part, but an active one with lots of embedded RAM. Need a few, oh, lets say tens of MB cache with a silly wide interface? See above. Also see your local IBM rep because no one else can do this.

http://semiaccurate.com/2012/03/21/ibm-power-7-spotted-and-it-is-a-monster/

Last edited by a moderator:
Charlie just released picture of four IMB Power7+ chips conneted over one interposer. :) This would be perfect for X720.

That looks huge. If they're any similar in size to the Power7, you're looking at 4 x 500 mm of die in one package. Obviously the xbox wouldn't have that, but if this process is reliable for dies of that size, I guess they could make something with a total 400mm die area for the GPU+CPU package reliably as well.

Well see, but for something launching at least 12 months from now (~18 months likely), I don't think the use of a silicon interposer is that out of question for a small GPU and CPU (at least compared to Power7)

If each of those is an 8 core Power 7 chip, that's 128 hardware threads in a single package. That's also, what? 1 teraflops? Starting to make that 1 teraflop quad-Cell seem tiny and easy to work with.

GTX580 size processor is only $120 ? Isn't GTX580 one massive chip ? Or has manufacturing cost gone down alot in the last few years ?

$120 is pretty expensive... I don't know why you think that's cheap.

I don't know if iSupply should be reliable. The data here is from an AMD conference.

Anyone knows if they can test the chips before putting them on the interposer?
If they can't, would yield be essentially the same as if it was a single huge chip?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back