Predict: The Next Generation Console Tech

Discussion in 'Console Technology' started by Acert93, Jun 12, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rangers

Legend

For that matter something like Furmark (which, is a big furry rotating donut aka real world shading in action aka somewhat game applicable) is also dominated by AMD.

There are definitely examples in the real world that AMD cards just had (have?) a lot more brute math force.

2. TheWretched

Regular

Performance... my 6870 in my desktop can reach about 300Mhash/s, whereas a 580 barely reaches half that. And given that a 580 also sucks a LOT more power, it's also less profitable^^ (not that I am doing it... I was just playing around with a bit of OpenCL some months ago and since Bitcoin mining is mostly open source, it was an interesting case study).

3. MrFox

MrFox Deludedly Fantastic
    Legend Veteran

Is a hash computation even relevant to floating point performance?
    Folding at home is very heavy in actual floating point ops.
    http://folding.stanford.edu/English/FAQ-flops

4. TheD

Newcomer

What I am saying is that one can not just claim that because of console optimizations an AMD GPU would be able to claim a performance advantage over an Nvidia GPU in rendering workloads due to somehow unlocking its full FP performance.

AMD having better performance in furmark just proves my point, it is a PC program and thus proves that AMD cards can use the FP advantage they have and are not being unduly held back by PCs.

5. ultragpu

Legend Veteran

6. Acert93

Acert93 Artist formerly known as Acert93
    Legend

How ironic! For those of us rightfully/wrongfully hoping for relatively advanced consoles both would be encouraging rumors.

7. Crossbar

Veteran

Yeah, this is probably the case. Improving standard memory units beyond GDDR5 likely involves differential signalling. But since Rambus seems to hold some strong patents for that, the DRAM giants may just bypass that evolutionary step and go straight to stacked memories. The profit margins are low and competition is tough in the DRAM business, Elpida just went belly up.

The benefits of stacked memories using TSVs are twofold as I see it, first you can widen the bus without being pad limited and second you can lower the signal voltage and thereby lower the TPD significantly. I remember reading that it is common that about 20% of the TDP of performance ICs comes from the IO circuitry drving signals via the PCB.

GPUs seems like a perfect fit for silicon interposers and stacked memorys using TSVs. The hi performance version of the Wide IO memory standard may be what they are waiting for. If we can get the first samples of such memory during this year, it could possibly make its way into some console.

#10307 Crossbar, Mar 7, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 7, 2012
  8. V3

V3
    Veteran

So which x86 is a realistic candidate for PS4 ? Time frame, power, size, cost and all ? Is it 100% certain the x86 is from AMD ?

9. Kaotik

Kaotik Drunk Member
    Legend

If it's x86, it's quite definately from AMD (you know, package deal, buy one GPU, get a CPU free :lol: )
    Depending on the timeframe when it comes, either Piledriver or Steamroller based CPU cores probably

10. Rangers

Legend

I dont think Charlie knows anything...

Before his PS4 x86 article he wrote on twitter "Trust me on this one guys, after all I nailed the Xbox 720".

I'm thinking umm, what proof is there of that?

The bad thing is I sometimes kinda write in my head Charlie's correction articles when all his next gen reporting doesn't come true later. i've seen enough of Charlie's excuse articles lol.

"Well, sources tell us even though the PS4 doesn't use stacking technology, that was indeed the PLAN until Sony's last minute change (take my word on it!)". Followed by more archaic and detailed "explanation" charlie style, so of course he was never wrong.

11. Rangers

Legend

:lol:

Well Bulldozer would be terrible in a console, and piledriver will be based on it.

Color me skeptical of all this stuff. I'd even wager a good chance Nvidia is the PS4 GPU.

12. Rangers

Legend

I think it does prove it. You must understand because there's two PC GPU vendors, games generally do not target hardware. Hardware is molded to software on PC, the opposite is true on console.

AMD doing well on furmark and shader limited PC games shows they have a shader edge, that in most games goes idle. On console, nothing goes idle. Real simple. That extra shading power (being demonstrated in furmark) WILL be maximized, with more shaders on a console, whereas in PC the game can be texture, bandwidth, or who knows what else limited first, and nobody is going to code better shaders just for high end AMD cards on a PC game, because PC games are sloppy as hell to start with as they're targeting infinite hardware variations.

13. Kaotik

Kaotik Drunk Member
    Legend

Would it? Bulldozer isn't really that bad as long as you actually use all the possible 8 threads, and both Piledriver & Steamroller are going to improve various weaknesses of the Bulldozer core.
    Think of it like Phenoms - the Phenom "1" was quite bad after all, but Phenom II fixed a lot of it's weaknesses, and while couldn't compete with the fastest Intels, it wasn't bad anymore.

14. Blazkowicz

Legend Veteran

a two module, "fixed" bulldozer, without L3 and with a more mature process, would be a lot smaller and a bit better than the current pig reminiscent of R600 and Barcelona.

15. hoho

Veteran

Now what if you calculate performance per transistor/watt? The CPU alone would take humongous chunk of transistor and power budget if it really was BD-based.

16. Blazkowicz

Legend Veteran

on a console you will get optimal scheduling and use of the FPU.
    dunno if a three-module one without L3 would work out well.
    not only there's L3, but a lot of uncore fat that AMD can cut.

17. TheD

Newcomer

No, you must understand that games are not going to be made for a console with graphics that have the same workload as a program design to do nothing more than push ALUs to breaking point!
    Not unless you want a game to look like furmark!
    And even if you did want a game like that you are unlikely to get it with most games being multiplatform.

The fact is that to get an AMD GPU into a ALU limited scenario you would have to cut down on everything else that will limit it first and thus make a very below par looking game.

18. -tkf-

Legend

Very interesting, on the CPU side it will be something Console proven against something with a very bad reputation from the PC world.

Maybe someone with more knowledge can breakdown this: http://www.anandtech.com/show/4955/the-bulldozer-review-amd-fx8150-tested/2 mostly i am wondering about this:

Is that something that a console could use to it´s advantage?

Right now i am thinking that the PS4 would really need something special from the GPU to make up for the AMD CPU.

19. hoho

Veteran

FMA is pretty logical.

Higher AVX128 throughput comes from AMD having the FPU shared and if two cores in a module only need 128bit instructions then both cores can run them simultaneously. If they use 256bit ones only one core can use the FPU at a time giving it similar 256bit throughput than what Intel gets at half the core count.

Basically I don't think that the shared FPU and higher 128bit throughput would be much use vs Intel offerings while FMA is obviously awesome. Then again I don't think Intel CPU would be a possibilty in a console anyway :)

20. McHuj

Veteran Regular Subscriber

While Bulldozer gets a really bad rap on the PC side, I don't think it's that bad of a design. A fairer indicator of the performance will the upcoming Trinity APU. Coincidentally, Fudzilla today claims that the top Trinity SKU (likely April launch) will have to 2 piledriver modules clocked at 3.8 GHz within a 100W TPD. We'll see how well piledriver cores address some of the issues and how good the performance/watt really is.

Perhaps at the eventual 28nm SOI shrink, they'll be able to increase performance another %25 or so and keep the same TPD (or push the TPD a little higher ~125 for the SOC, sub 200W for the whole system)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.