Predict: The Next Generation Console Tech

Status
Not open for further replies.
regarding power

7970 at 925Mhz consumes 310W on load, overclocked by 200Mhz it consumes 417W at 1125MHz(hardocp).

No it doesn't. The rest of the computer especially the CPU also consumes more under load.

Full system total power consumption under load minus consumption at idle without video card installed does not give you video card consumption number. 7970 at stock consumes nowhere near 310W in Battlefield 3.

It's not BS or maybe you never had to share anything, lucky you.

Not really the point I am making. The point I am making is that playing on the a lowish resolution controller does not seem very desirable compared to the option of playing on a 60" screen. The wii:u allows you to play on a small screen like a 3ds or a tablet, except it's not very portable because it has limited range from the main box. I just don't see the ability to play on the small screen as being a big selling point, especially if you're trying to sell the different experience of using the controller in different ways that won't work if it's also the primary display. It would be an advertising campaign at odds with itself.

Same question goes for Nintendo If some game implement a sort second views (punctually either way there is no point playing on TV at all and you won't watch both the TV and the slate at the same time) they have to implement an switch on event or a touch to do so (that's what is nice with touch interface it's not as reactive or precise as button but highly configurable).
If you have to touch the screen, you touch the screen I guess.

Still I can imagine extreme usage that would make the thing problematic still that kind of things would not be possible at all without such a device so the choice is either a loss or a greater.

If the game is designed around having the controller display something different than the primary display that functionality is lost if you're trying to use the controller as the primary display. Nintendo demonstrated a couple of examples of this already, the one where you aimed through the controller, and the golf game.

I'm not saying the wii;u will fail or anything, but I certainly don't think Sony and MS should emulate it just because Nintendo's last gimmick paid off big. The popularity of portable devices doesn't necessarily mean that people want that experience for all their devices.

Yeah, the calculation works, but you can't really take a random post from a random guy on a random board as the basis for how 10 million+ dies are going to run. Hell, even the info there is incomplete. .93 at what clock? What mem clock? Stock? Is that with at least 24 hrs testing in 3dmark or something so that its validated stable? The voltage of 1.18 stock isn't even reference voltage(he also says 1.175, not 1.18), so it must be an OC board that is higher binned. The voltages in his sig don't jive with the numbers he claims either. Tomshardware did a test with actual stability testing on 6970s, and as far as confirmed stable goes, the best they got was 1.1v at stock 890/1375 and 0.98v downclocked to 500/1375. Barely over a tenth of a volt, nearly clock dropped in half.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/radeon-power-consumption,2950-7.html

This is all besides the point, 10 million+ console chips aren't going to be tweaked and overclocked and undervolted to their limits. If anything, they are going to be more conservative than video card reference voltages/clocks to ensure low rate of failure.

Aside from what the others said , Look at AMD on the 40nm process

Amd was able to create a new die with the 6870/50 which was 20% smaller and performed better (with driver updates ) than the cards it replaced which were the 5870/50

http://www.anandtech.com/show/3987/...enewing-competition-in-the-midrange-market/20

Here we see the 6870 using simlar power to the 5850 and what 33w less than the 5870.
Even the 6950 which had twice the ram and was much faster used less power than the 5870.

So its certianly possible a future GCN from AMD will wind up in the xbox next.

Infact it be stupid for AMD not to have GCN in the next xbox , esp if AMD plans to keep GCN for a few years. It would certianly give them an advantage over Nvidia if games are designed for GCN on the console side

Not really the point I am making. The point I am making is that playing on the a lowish resolution controller does not seem very desirable compared to the option of playing on a 60" screen. The wii:u allows you to play on a small screen like a 3ds or a tablet, except it's not very portable because it has limited range from the main box. I just don't see the ability to play on the small screen as being a big selling point, especially if you're trying to sell the different experience of using the controller in different ways that won't work if it's also the primary display. It would be an advertising campaign at odds with itself.
------------
If the game is designed around having the controller display something different than the primary display that functionality is lost if you're trying to use the controller as the primary display. Nintendo demonstrated a couple of examples of this already, the one where you aimed through the controller, and the golf game.

I'm not saying the wii;u will fail or anything, but I certainly don't think Sony and MS should emulate it just because Nintendo's last gimmick paid off big. The popularity of portable devices doesn't necessarily mean that people want that experience for all their devices.
I see where you are going, I'm not not found either of the gimmicks Nintendo wants to enclosed their own product into. Most gimmicks they came with suck, shield pose? Aiming? I believe that the greatest use for the device like this one is the most simple not gimmick one like the one I described.
To me such a thing doesn't have to be overused to prove a great addition to the system. It has motion sensing which is cool with some games like racing among other things. I believe that will the mobile revolution people will be open to that kind of controls (in limited/ proper cases).
It has touchscreen that you can use as a touchpad basically or a blend of KB and touchpad.
The use I though for thing that would be bothering would be some complex game where you would set almost custom input on the touch screen, like RTS, complex RPG/ MMO, etc. like you split the touch screen between a serie of keys and a touchpad. If you turn off the TV... you have no room on screen as screen is all the controls you have.

I really see potential for the thing by it-self real not Nintendo failed gimmicks. The whole functionality doesn't have to be used all the time. The gimmick to me is convenience it's not a gimmick. Nintendo positioning of their own product is a gimmick most likely because they don't have what it takes to do the most out of it. I don't see MS to come with such a positioning of the product, its not kinect or a wiimote in their time.
It's a strong evolution of the pad not a gimmick shield pose thingy. Ms can pulled more out of this than N when it comes to services especially depending on what kind of background service the box will be able to run along with a game, Think of something like playing either on the pad or the TV and watching youtube or netflix on the other screen. Or using the facebook app with a tactil keayboard while somebody play/ do something else on the device. It would be interesting to see how the system handle multiple account logged at the same times as well as how multi tasking in handle within the system "background tasks"

I also believe that it add value to local multiplaying depending on how much device the system supports. local multiplaying is poor experience as soon as split screen is involved. If they can get up to four controllers hooked together that would be great for many genres party game to more serious reflexion or tactical games. When Nintendo announced the system support only one WiiUmote everybody had a what the fuck moment. MS may not do the gimped technological N seems to do. AMD support many display they need a good to transmit signal to multiple devices.

The point you're raising is more than legit, it's not a system seller by it-self and it's all Nintendo has it seems. their positioning for the product is wrong, it won't fly by it-self, it may success at being a dust shield for the WiiU though :LOL:. MS is completely different matter I can think of plenty of significant uses for the device, not something that redefine the experience completely still playing your best games, on live, with proper control on a display when TV is busy is a different experience imo, lower resolution but greater pixel density. Add head tracking via kinect 2 and the pad camera (depending on your main display) for great perspective effect and it's not to dirty imho, worse the loss of the some eye candy overall.

I might be wrong like everyone, it's not about copying a gimmick it's possibly saving a bright idea. MS is not Nintendo, they ll have a more powerful system, their OS has nothing to do with Nintendo ones. How the system is likely to handle background task is also another matter. What are background tasks? You can multi-task those not demanding tasks? New idea some social mobile games could qualify. You may run a mobile while one is playing on TV, not every household have many PC, notebook, tablet, it can be useful. How multiple accounts would be managed is critical.
They have a great network infrastructure. They have M rate exclusives. They have Kinect 2 which it seems nobody will be able to match next gen.

It's more about looking at the whole picture and say let also move the controller to another level and let evolution resume where the dreamcast crashed. Not something about golf of "Shield pause".

By the way evolution would be a good name for the system. 360 is a revolution they were really trying again, now it's time to evolve.

EDIT
Did I mention educative games for younger demographic? >>> :LOL:

Last edited by a moderator:
That whole "Power consumption scales with frequency cubed, a 20% reduction should result in around half the power consumption" is completely wrong. Power consumption is linear with frequency and squared(not cubed) with voltage. The formula is P = CV^2f, where C is capacitance, V is voltage and f is frequency.

And voltage is dependent on frequency, substitute above and you get f^3.

Cheers

I personally think that an evolution and combination of the Move controller and Kinect would offer FAR more opportunities for innovation in both core and casual games than a touch panel and additional screen ever would.

The WiiUmote seems fine and all for little quirky things like a constant inventory screen in a Zelda game, but I hardly screams "TEH POSSIBILITIES" with regards to gaming implimentations that would meaningfully add anything to core games.

Hands free motion tracking, gesture-based & absolute positioning motion control, tilt & gyroscopic functionality, voice recognition, are all things to me that would more greatly enhance the games that we currently play, as well as those we will play next generation.

Additionally, Sony and MS need to do something with their next-gen boxes that sets them apart or differentiates them in a significant way from the tablets and smart phones that are rapidly growing in popularity, processing power, development support and essentially consumer spending.
MS and Sony need to compete for the same dollars, and the only way they can do it is with the software, as the rapidly advancing processing power of those other devices, combined with the fact that we're reaching deminishing returns in terms of gaming assets and graphics, will mean that the average Joe will soon reach the point where they consider the graphical difference between platforms as meaningless. By adding a touchscreen to their next-gen console as the primary control interface it will not differentiate their software enough so as to ensure that the experience is always unique or exclusive to the home console platform, quite frankly it would ensure the opposite.

Motion controls on the other hand, the type that a combined Move and Kinect would provide, would be impossible to reproduce on these portable devices, and would easily set apart the "home console gaming experience" from the portable one.

The hard part imho will be Sony & MS providing a platform that will foster that innovation in game design and experiences based around the Move/Kinect technologies, whilst also trying to meet or exceed the graphical expectations that gamers have for next-gen, and all at a reasonable asking price out of the box (a seemingly impossible task :cry:).

...//lots of stuff WiiU related// ...
Did I mention educative games for younger demographic? >>> :LOL:

Overall the concept of a wiiu type pad integration is a nice bonus, but it isn't free. If it were a free addition to the package which didn't cause the MSRP to rise or the internal spec to fall, I'd say great let's do it. But that isn't the case. So to have something included in the box that not everyone will use (or want) is wasted money. And it isn't even a competitive advantage, it just validates your competitors product.

The "killer app" for MS will be Kinect2 with higher res and lower lag. Nobody else has it, and no other field has it (IOS, Android, etc).

If MS were to include an expensive gadget in every box, it will be kinect2.

Personally I think bundling every box with a Kinect is a mistake as again, not everyone wants it, and it will either degrade the spec, or raise the MSRP. But, if MS feels the need to capture the gimmicky goodness, this will be the road they take.

An alternative approach would be to bundle it with the launch units for the first year (and accompanied high price ($499) just to raise awareness of the new improved interface and have all games compatible with the device (better with kinect), and then after the first year, introduce a kinectless box at a lower price ($399) for core gamers that don't care about motion gaming and sell the peripheral external also, just in case they change their mind later.

In this way, the entire platform is still Kinect centric, without shoving it down everyone's throats.

And speaking of educational games ... did you see where MS is taking Kinect? Interactive Sesame Street and Nat Geo ... it's going to kill ... and a lot more intriguing and accessible for young kids than a finger dragging across a (breakable) tablet.

I personally think that an evolution and combination of the Move controller and Kinect would offer FAR more opportunities for innovation in both core and casual games than a touch panel and additional screen ever would.

The WiiUmote seems fine and all for little quirky things like a constant inventory screen in a Zelda game, but I hardly screams "TEH POSSIBILITIES" with regards to gaming implimentations that would meaningfully add anything to core games.

Hands free motion tracking, gesture-based & absolute positioning motion control, tilt & gyroscopic functionality, voice recognition, are all things to me that would more greatly enhance the games that we currently play, as well as those we will play next generation.

Additionally, Sony and MS need to do something with their next-gen boxes that sets them apart or differentiates them in a significant way from the tablets and smart phones that are rapidly growing in popularity, processing power, development support and essentially consumer spending.
MS and Sony need to compete for the same dollars, and the only way they can do it is with the software, as the rapidly advancing processing power of those other devices, combined with the fact that we're reaching deminishing returns in terms of gaming assets and graphics, will mean that the average Joe will soon reach the point where they consider the graphical difference between platforms as meaningless. By adding a touchscreen to their next-gen console as the primary control interface it will not differentiate their software enough so as to ensure that the experience is always unique or exclusive to the home console platform, quite frankly it would ensure the opposite.

Motion controls on the other hand, the type that a combined Move and Kinect would provide, would be impossible to reproduce on these portable devices, and would easily set apart the "home console gaming experience" from the portable one.

The hard part imho will be Sony & MS providing a platform that will foster that innovation in game design and experiences based around the Move/Kinect technologies, whilst also trying to meet or exceed the graphical expectations that gamers have for next-gen, and all at a reasonable asking price out of the box (a seemingly impossible task :cry:).

Exactly.

I could have saved myself some time if I saw your post first! :smile:

Although, I have to say that if the res is high enough (Z as well as X,Y) and the lag low enough, a move controller in the hand becomes rather useless.

As for motion control adoption, I think having a standard (at least initially) of all games should support the interface in some way (better with ...) will help to foster adoption and force devs to think about ways they could integrate the interface while also leaving enough flexibility to not be tied to it down the road for gamers or genres that are still better or preferred with a real controller.

1st year, Kinect Bundle $499
2nd year, Core Bundle $399 or Kinect Bundle $499

Although, I have to say that if the res is high enough (Z as well as X,Y) and the lag low enough, a move controller in the hand becomes rather useless.

I'm thinking more along the lines of a hybrid Move/Nav/traditional controller similar to what we saw in Sony's patents preceding the reveal of Move in its current incarnation. An essential DS3 which can split apart providing not only buttons and a dual stick setup, but the same kind of LED/optical reference to allow for accurate pointer controls (v. important :D). All the controller would need then would be a gyro for tilt controls (as i suspect it would be inexpensive cost-wise, and computationally cheaper than trying to get the cam to do it) and the LED/ball for pointing, and it would provide literally the best of both worlds of the Kinect and Move devices.

As for motion control adoption, I think having a standard (at least initially) of all games should support the interface in some way (better with ...) will help to foster adoption and force devs to think about ways they could integrate the interface while also leaving enough flexibility to not be tied to it down the road for gamers or genres that are still better or preferred with a real controller.

Again with your standards? Lol, :LOL: you're a hard taskmaster ChefO!

I don't think a standard is necessary, as i believe shipping the functionality out of the box would necessitate development that takes advantage of the technology. Once you can guarantee the functionality in every console, and the technology works like its meant to, devs will automatically dream up new ways to use it. They're not miscreant children, stuck in their own unyielding ways. You needn't force them ;-)

Edit:
Actually, by trying to force them you'd more likely many token efforts that would cheapen the experience in general. Considering the tech would be available to every dev as the primary input system, it's much better to let the devs decide which aspects to use that would make sense for their games.

I'm thinking more along the lines of a hybrid Move/Nav/traditional controller..

That would be great if they could get the concept to work in the real world so it was durable and ergonomic enough while still being relatively affordable.

Again with your standards? Lol, :LOL: you're a hard taskmaster ChefO!

:LOL: Hey nothing crazy! Some simple things like head-tracking to move the camera in all games. Voice recognition for menu items ... obviously not a full list, but with a full study at MS HQ I'm sure they could figure out a nice developer friendly list that didn't harm gameplay interaction without kinect, but added a little something extra for those that do like kinect and would do so without being a headache to implement.

As far as I know, MS has been pretty Dev friendly on that front and if it's anything like coding outside the games world, their tools are head and shoulders above the rest so I wouldn't expect anything different here. :smile:

Side note:

One interesting thing along the lines of headtracking that could be possible with a high enough resolution camera would be eye tracking. The interesting window of opportunity that this opens up is for intelligent DOF which focuses on the things your eye is focused on and blurs the things which are not on that focal plane. This concept would probably have difficulty in anything other than a kinect pc environment due to the ratio of screenspace to distance between eye and screen, but the possibilities to offer a far more immersive world with such a technology would be great! Combine this with perspective change (vr head tracking) and things get VERY interesting. Not quite VR, but then again no bulky helmet either! That would be sick.

MS - slide me a check and let's get this done! :p

No it doesn't. The rest of the computer especially the CPU also consumes more under load.

Full system total power consumption under load minus consumption at idle without video card installed does not give you video card consumption number. 7970 at stock consumes nowhere near 310W in Battlefield 3.

Interesting
And voltage is dependent on frequency, substitute above and you get f^3.

Cheers

Interesting.
I definitively don't get the part on Disney.

Disney new bluray movies allow ipads, don't know if android, to control bluray playback and interact via apps with some of such newer movies. The functionality utilizes java capabilities of bluray players.

I'd suggest at least a dummy peripheral like a plastic gun, to aid in some experiences. Also for some applications button functionality might be good by offering resistance and haptic feedback, while you may detect even individual fingers I'm not sure speed/rez can get good enough to rival say an analog trigger in precision.

and the LED/ball for pointing, and it would provide literally the best of both worlds of the Kinect and Move devices.

If we have depth perception system hopefully we can do away with the ball and use a less intrusive shape.
Would something like this be possible next gen?

I would venture to say yes. As the ps3's shown similar with the game "flower".

while this may or may not tax the ps3, irregardless the resources of a nextgen console dwarf those of the ps3 so it should be able to add it without problem.
PS
BTW, was that running on realtime on the unity player in the browser? or was it just a video? It seemed to initiate the unity system.

That would be great if they could get the concept to work in the real world so it was durable and ergonomic enough while still being relatively affordable.

:LOL: Hey nothing crazy! Some simple things like head-tracking to move the camera in all games. Voice recognition for menu items ... obviously not a full list, but with a full study at MS HQ I'm sure they could figure out a nice developer friendly list that didn't harm gameplay interaction without kinect, but added a little something extra for those that do like kinect and would do so without being a headache to implement.
The eyes are not a perfect sphere, if the rez is high enough maybe you can track gaze(eyes) direction instead, as you mention... even 2d cameras can do this to some extent, and nextgen tvs using 3d cameras can track up to 8 pairs of eyes at the same time, iirc.

As far as I know, MS has been pretty Dev friendly on that front and if it's anything like coding outside the games world, their tools are head and shoulders above the rest so I wouldn't expect anything different here. :smile:

Side note:

One interesting thing along the lines of headtracking that could be possible with a high enough resolution camera would be eye tracking. The interesting window of opportunity that this opens up is for intelligent DOF which focuses on the things your eye is focused on and blurs the things which are not on that focal plane. This concept would probably have difficulty in anything other than a kinect pc environment due to the ratio of screenspace to distance between eye and screen, but the possibilities to offer a far more immersive world with such a technology would be great! Combine this with perspective change (vr head tracking) and things get VERY interesting. Not quite VR, but then again no bulky helmet either! That would be sick.

MS - slide me a check and let's get this done! :p

This would be interesting, though I think it could also be used in a tv when dealing with single player games. But if you can track the direction of gaze, you can move the camera around without requiring the head to move, allowing for more natural exploration and camera control(in some genres at least). In theory one could even zoom in and out with such control say in an fps, by noting the eyes have remained focused on one point for X amount of time.

If you have a Kinect 2 with better precision and more processing to throw at the problem (but is that really ther pb, for all we know, kinec takes few CPU and GPU and RAM resources, if needed MS could raise those requirements for the kind of successful games on Kinect ) I would expect that you don't need move like controller. Think of Children Of Eden, It's closer to 1o1 mapping than what games pretending to do acutally do. There are less lag as there are no shape or posture to recognize, you movement are mapped almost in real time as you were moving a mouse. With extra precision Kinect could recognize hand postures (this will induce lag, as I don't believe that algorithm can predict that properly). So you could have a pretty wide set of controls applicable to quiet some situation, in practice it sounds like 1o1 mapping applied to a puppet.
The real question is do you want to do that all the time? Can you see you playing CoD for an extending period of time with one hand acting as mouse and the other a joystick (all virtual)? Will you suppress all the noise you unwanted movement could introduce in the gameplay? Will The device be that perfect that it suppress all the "noise" your body generate? Especially look at you hands, on an extented period of time they generate noise. Serious gaming would imply standing pretty still.Your points are fair this one is too (and that assuming that hand posture induce no lag over pressing a button by nature the answer sounds obvious but let give some credit to tech).

I've already been here, voice command is even more laggy, not too mention that whereas english OK the other languages>>> better not bet the house on this.

This kind of approach is really kids and casual playing oriented, with better perf it has good chance to impress I agree but I would bet that CoD and most AAA core game will use a pad, or if given choice core gamer will use pad. Ultimately as some games are bought by core gamers... devs efforts would be for nothing.

I think MS sum it up well at Kinect launch pad is going nowhere.

The WiiUmote seems fine and all for little quirky things like a constant inventory screen in a Zelda game, but I hardly screams "TEH POSSIBILITIES" with regards to gaming implementations that would meaningfully add anything to core games.
The kind of implementation you speak is nothing great but a really nice addition, and it's not blocking you can still turn off the tv and call the inventory/tactical views/etc, through a touch on the screen. You can still maintain input on the screen relevant to gameplay.
Touchscreen for some genres would be a world of possibilities missing from consoles, simulating touchpad + keyboard. Push harder those kind of control may prevent you to play without TV or devs would have to think of serious work around, to some extend I'm not sure is wanted. Some genre will never succeed on console with either a pad or kinect, I see no reason to further "broaden the scope of input (I speak of tactical rpg, RTS, etc. you could assign units to virtual keys, use the touch which is more convenient, etc. Really core gameplay to bring all the missing genre to the console realm + benefits I've been through many times).

Kinect 2 is going nowhere, where would I imply that? It's just that clearly it's limited in its use and trying to use it every where do more arm than good to the device and the game trying to do so.

Being to avoid quiet some conflict in the living room is great. Kinect is nothing new or we don't leave on the same planet. MS give it away with every 360 and sales of the games are nothing awesome not enough to support AAA games. By the way it's you now that is after a strong marketing gimmick to sell the games.

Motion control is nothing new, 70 millions people bough the Wii, hundreds of millions play games with motion control on their phones, kinect has been there for a while now and games sales tell that it's a nice/healthy niche. There is nothing to set part mostly is here already, it more about using the right tool for the good job.
We're not discussing Sony but MS and they clearly show that they were to broaden their reach in the living room, the purpose of kinect 1&2. You acknowledged and in the same say that top priority is to fill or exceed your geeky expectations. That's doesn't sounds coherent to me.

depending on the implementation (like number of controllers supported) such a controllers bring something to everyone:
To every one it offers convenience (as I described many time, and there are "fight" for TV in family).
To core it offer extra controls for games that never successfully adapted to pad and never will (not too mention Kinect).
It offers plenty of option for casual and party gaming, educational games, and complex table games (if other player can't see you're screen it brings plenty of interesting option for local multi play).
It offers keyboard input to everyone
It can be a great addition depending on the level of multi tasking supported by the next xbox OS.
It can be use for games but yu could also have twits, facebook, friends online, news feeds on the secondary screen, the possiblity is here, either one use it has a gimmicks of for inventory (cheap in my opinion) is just one missing the potential of like Nintendo not having what it takes on the software side (and hardware N might not be in a situation to reserve enough ram and processing power to anything relevant in the "background" while somebody is playing a game).
It offers motions controls.

And there is kinect 2 and with it MS covers every bases imho, no need for move or wiimote (which doesn't touch what a WiiUmote can provide).

Overall the concept of a wiiu type pad integration is a nice bonus, but it isn't free. If it were a free addition to the package which didn't cause the MSRP to rise or the internal spec to fall, I'd say great let's do it. But that isn't the case. So to have something included in the box that not everyone will use (or want) is wasted money. And it isn't even a competitive advantage, it just validates your competitors product.

The "killer app" for MS will be Kinect2 with higher res and lower lag. Nobody else has it, and no other field has it (IOS, Android, etc).

If MS were to include an expensive gadget in every box, it will be kinect2.

Personally I think bundling every box with a Kinect is a mistake as again, not everyone wants it, and it will either degrade the spec, or raise the MSRP. But, if MS feels the need to capture the gimmicky goodness, this will be the road they take.

An alternative approach would be to bundle it with the launch units for the first year (and accompanied high price ($499) just to raise awareness of the new improved interface and have all games compatible with the device (better with kinect), and then after the first year, introduce a kinectless box at a lower price ($399) for core gamers that don't care about motion gaming and sell the peripheral external also, just in case they change their mind later.

In this way, the entire platform is still Kinect centric, without shoving it down everyone's throats.

And speaking of educational games ... did you see where MS is taking Kinect? Interactive Sesame Street and Nat Geo ... it's going to kill ... and a lot more intriguing and accessible for young kids than a finger dragging across a (breakable) tablet.
I disagree Kinect has to be standard on anything but replacement units. There is no doubt in my mind Kinect 2 will be standard next gen if there is a kinect 2 and if what people take for granted is not a longer term type of researches (could launch mid gen or later we don't know)... anyway kinect in some form will be there.

If Ms want to bring something new it has to be standard at launch, I don't think wiimote or move cut it, kinect is not for everything. Cleartly for me it's kinect & the padtab (not it's not a food... :LOL: ). think of both for kids of different ages and you cover a lot of basis ;-)
Actually padtab allows for brain training kind of gameplay for parents, it's not like everybody as a 3ds or a proper phone (getting there for phone but usage varies a lot). In anycase MS shares on both are nonexistant and they are facing a mother fu***ng up hill battle on this sector. It's not to crazy to offers the option, have the usage vs people doing so on competing devices.
In fact you can extend that to all the 3ds and mobile/social games, MS is non existant on the market after investing billions. Let's not assume that all of sudden MS will lead because of windows 8.
In this regard MS is different from both Sony and Nintendo no handled and they are failing in the mobile realm. They have a shot to bring the experience to some extra users either way they are sure they will do so on iOS and Android.

But that's just an arguments on top of so many already. Let be clear to me it's both kinect x and padtab with MS going for a really wide demographic from scratch.

regarding power

7970 at 925Mhz consumes 310W on load, overclocked by 200Mhz it consumes 417W at 1125MHz(hardocp).

At 350mhz then it should run at 20w per hardocp calculation for desktop background consumption.

Would be interesting to know the shape of the graph for the correct conversion function, to know how much power consumption grows as frequency grows.

As pointed by at least Dr Evil, your numbers are way off.

7970 at 925MHz doesn't consume that much even under FurMark, which is designed to push gfx cards to and past their powerdraw limits - that's the programs only real purpose, and even it gets 7970 only up to 270W.

In actual gaming situations, 7970 peaks in Crysis 2 at mere 189W and averages in Crysis 2 at 163W.
Numbers courtesy of TPU who actually measure only the cards consumption, not rest of the system too.
Furmark number achieved with Furmark stability test, while Crysis 2 numbers are achieved running the game at 1920x1200 Extreme settings, peak value is single highest recorded consumption during benchmark, average is the average value of all recorded consumptions during benchmark (12 values per second)

In actual gaming situations, 7970 peaks in Crysis 2 at mere 189W and averages in Crysis 2 at 163W.
Numbers courtesy of TPU who actually measure only the cards consumption, not rest of the system too.

Testing peak power draw on PC is unrealistic, Fur mark pushes GPU's all the way up to 99% load which is why it draws so much power.

Now unless a game is running your GPU at 99% load for 100% of the time you're playing it then it's never going to give absolute peak power figures. And most decent PC GPU's don't spend all the time at 99% load due to CPU limitations.

GPU's on consoles will always pretty much be running at 99% load as they're pushed harder due to being closed boxed systems.

Crysis 2 on my rig with everything turned on and a 5Ghz 2500k doesn't always load my cards at 99% load, It drops to 70-80% in places, A console GPU would never be allowed to drop that low.

If Ms want to bring something new it has to be standard at launch...

I think you missed this part: ;)

me said:

For the Kinect vs pad deal, I think we'll have to agree to disagree.

Including kinect2 in the box will be a drag enough on the BOM. Throwing in a tablet-lite also in the box is too much.

The other negative on this approach is it lessens the adoption appeal of win8 tablets.

But I digress.

Testing peak power draw on PC is unrealistic, Fur mark pushes GPU's all the way up to 99% load which is why it draws so much power.

Now unless a game is running your GPU at 99% load for 100% of the time you're playing it then it's never going to give absolute peak power figures. And most decent PC GPU's don't spend all the time at 99% load due to CPU limitations.

GPU's on consoles will always pretty much be running at 99% load as they're pushed harder due to being closed boxed systems.

Crysis 2 on my rig with everything turned on and a 5Ghz 2500k doesn't always load my cards at 99% load, It drops to 70-80% in places, A console GPU would never be allowed to drop that low.

Furmark is not like a game load, console or no. Pretty sure no console game maxes the GPU like furmark.

Furmark's entire purpose is to load up the shaders to max and do nothing else (No CPU, AI, game world, anything), no real game will ever approach that kind of contrived usage. It's basically nothing but feeding the shaders math.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back