Playstation 3: Hardware Info and Price

Sorry i was way off here are the actual fees, VERY cheap:
HDMI.org said:
What are the fees for HDMI?

Annual Fee
HDMI Adopters must pay an annual fee of fifteen thousand dollars (US$15,000). The annual fee is due upon the execution of the Adopter Agreement, and must be paid on the anniversary of this date each year thereafter. Note that HDMI does provide an alternative annual fee payment for small-volume manufacturers (10,000 units or less). Please see Attachment B of the Adopter Agreement for details.

Royalty
HDMI is available for a reasonable royalty rate as follows:

For each end-user Licensed Product, fifteen cents (US$0.15) per unit sold.
If the Adopter reasonably uses the HDMI logo on the product and promotional materials, then the rate drops to five cents (US$0.05) per unit sold.
If the Adopter implements HDCP content protection as set forth in the HDMI Specification, then the royalty rate is further reduced by one cent (US $.01) per unit sold, for a lowest rate of four cents (.04) per unit. Adopters must license HDCP separately from Digital Content Protection, LLC, an Intel subsidiary. Please see www.digital-cp.com for details.

I must have been thinking about the silicon image chips required for implementation.

http://www.hdmi.org/consumer/faq.asp

expletive said:
No point in having more than one ethernet port either once they ditched the router functionality.
Um, it never had a router to begin with.

Only reason some think a router in PS3 has been ditched is because clueless internet people use 'router' and 'switch' interchangeably - which is NOT the case I might add.

Not sure i understand your point here, whats the difference from a usability standpoint by connecting the camera to a USB port or ethernet port?
I'm not claiming any difference in useability. Quite the opposite really. Some had the idea the PS3 eyetoy would connect through gigabit ethernet and be an IP camera (i.e. like a network printer communicating directly with tcpip protocol), and this they based on some very sketchy information. Obviously, with only one network port, there's no room for an ethernet-connected camera at all, as sony can't very well force everybody to get wifi for their consoles should they want to run both the camera and internet connection at the same time. Especially as the "core" PS3 lacks built-in wifi, and we don't know if there will be an attachment to add that functionality later on.

!eVo!-X Ant UK said:
No DLP use's mirror's, if it used LCD it would'nt be DLP then would it ???

DLP is just a generic term for any display using digital light processing. Projection LCDs use DLP. With HDMI on PS3 you can have a completlly digital transmission to LCD based DLPs.

http://ps3.ign.com/articles/706/706133p1.html

Kutaragi explained to IT Media why be believes the price isn't a problem:

"This is the PS3 price. Expensive, cheap -- we don't want you to think of it in terms of game machines. Because the PS3 is like nothing else.

For instance, is it not nonsense to compare the charge for dinner at the company cafeteria with dinner at a fine restaurant? It's a question of what you can do with that game machine. If you can have an amazing experience, we believe price is not a problem.

When we announced the PlayStation price, it was said to be expensive. Same for the PlayStation 2. However, when released, both had sales that were unthinkable for previous game machines. This is because both offered experiences that could not be had on previous game machines.

With the PS3, you can have next generation game experiences that could previously not be experienced -- things like next generation graphics and various services via the network. And, as with the PS and PS2, we believe people who like games will, without question, purchase it."

NANOTEC said:
DLP is just a generic term for any display using digital light processing. Projection LCDs use DLP. With HDMI on PS3 you can have a completlly digital transmission to LCD based DLPs.

Off topic, but... Actually no.

From projectorcentral.com:
DLP (Digital Light Processing) is a commercial name for a display technology from Texas Instruments (TI). The technology inside is often referred to as DMD (Digital Micro-Mirrors).

Cheers

Guden Oden said:
Some had the idea the PS3 eyetoy would connect through gigabit ethernet and be an IP camera (i.e. like a network printer communicating directly with tcpip protocol), and this they based on some very sketchy information.
...from Phil Harrison, explaining why 3 Gigabit Ethernet connectors ;)

!eVo!-X Ant UK said:
wow nice find. I guess the fact that the PS3 did get a little bigger with much more vents has its payoffs. The PSTwois probably one of the most quiet last gen consoles. And no major heat problems is nice. I'm loving the black and chrome color. The only thing actually negative about the ps3's design is that its bigger than the orginal xbox. o_O

I have a question regarding the price and loss of each machine.
With these pricepoints, Sony is still poised to be selling at a loss right?

Now, remember the Merrill Lynch report regarding cost to manufacture the PS3, was it not in the neigbourhood of around 800 bucks for each machine?

Bad_Boy said:
wow nice find. I guess the fact that the PS3 did get a little bigger with much more vents has its payoffs. The PSTwois probably one of the most quiet last gen consoles. And no major heat problems is nice. I'm loving the black and chrome color. The only thing actually negative about the ps3's design is that its bigger than the orginal xbox. o_O

All the added vents is probably why theyre making it only in black, hard to see them that way. ;)

Guden Oden said:
Um, it never had a router to begin with.I'm not claiming any difference in useability. Quite the opposite really. Some had the idea the PS3 eyetoy would connect through gigabit ethernet and be an IP camera (i.e. like a network printer communicating directly with tcpip protocol), and this they based on some very sketchy information. Only reason some think a router in PS3 has been ditched is because clueless internet people use 'router' and 'switch' interchangeably - which is NOT the case I might add.

Well it it DID have a router but i was wrong on why the multiple ports were there, apparently they remained even after the functionality was dropped for other options.

Also, I wouldnt call KK saying "we want to be able to have a Gigabit port for an IP camera" to be 'very sketchy information'. ;)

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/content_page.php?aid=10033

Guden Oden said:
Obviously, with only one network port, there's no room for an ethernet-connected camera at all, as sony can't very well force everybody to get wifi for their consoles should they want to run both the camera and internet connection at the same time. Especially as the "core" PS3 lacks built-in wifi, and we don't know if there will be an attachment to add that functionality later on.

People could technically plug the IP camera into any ethernet port in their home network and communicate with the PS3 though right? Just becuase it doesnt leverage the PS3 to connect to your wired network doesnt mean it cant use the same funcitonality. In theory, you could plug it into ethernet in another room in the house and monitor it, i would think.

hey69 said:
remember PS2 cost 500euro plus back in 2000 with the release in Europe
At the same time, the USA folks only had to pay 299$ for it.

as a matter of fact, europe subsidised the usa market for 18months +-
paying almost the same for a ps3 isnt that hard to understand actually.

than again, 500 euro is lot of money .

did they actually gave EURO prices or is this just a 1 us$ to 1 euro conversion ?

these where my 2cents..

I remember paying 500e to my ps2 as well when it was released here in finland. I think the whole idea of expensive ps3 is ridiculous. People pay that kind of money for just graphics cards. PS3 is multimedia center packed full off top of the line tech. Just try to name one machine that can give you that much entertaiment in same price range (not xbox360 ;) ).

And let's not forget that you need lots of other stuff around your ps3 in order to use all those fancy features. Hometheater costs additional 4000€ easily if you want to have decent 40" screen and 5.1 speakers. Let's face it, hdtv gaming is all about huge hi-res displays and good quality 5.1 sound. So the console price itself is small potatoes.

(sorry for my bad english, there is a good reason that I mostly read these forums)

zed said:
depends if one game will be running at 1080p and the other at only 720p. :D
personally i dont have an issue with the price (i have a job, is this forum largly populated by children?) in saying that i prolly wont get a ps3 unless it is very quiet, i have my doubts wether its as good as they say
Y

ou would need a REALLY big screen to tell the difference visually. Honestly the limits on the visual acuity of the eye prevent the difference from being that great... finer details yes more details... not really

expletive said:
All the added vents is probably why theyre making it only in black, hard to see them that way. ;)
Well then thank god for the vents, cause black is easily the best color out of the three imho. :D

EndR said:
I have a question regarding the price and loss of each machine.
With these pricepoints, Sony is still poised to be selling at a loss right?

Now, remember the Merrill Lynch report regarding cost to manufacture the PS3, was it not in the neigbourhood of around 800 bucks for each machine?

If anything I suspect MS sells at more of a loss than Sony. Why? Well, MS makes people subscribe to online gaming which is a 100% profit margin for them whereas Sony appears to have bumped the inital cost up and said 'online gaming for free'. The more I think about which console is the better long-term investment (after waiting to see for so long) the more PS3 strikes me as being the right one because:
* PS3 premium: $599, Xbox360 premium: $399
* $200 difference between them
* BluRay/HDMI in PS3
* If I keep my PS3/Xbox360 for 4 years and want to play online I either pay $60 a year costing me $240, or $0 a year.

So, I get my money back by going for free online gaming and have a BR player too! The lower SKU may seem 'a bit shit' and I am dissappointed they don't offer the HDMI connector in it, I could live without WiFi and such a large HD. The price is set aggresively though if you, again, consider online games:
* Xbox360 core: $299, PS3 core: $499
* BluRay in PS3
* Also $200 difference again recouped through subscription costs.

MS don't need to lower price now to absolutely screw Sony. They can really make it hurt by giving away lots of Dashboard points and special offers to chew up that $-difference (the marginal cost to them is near 0). Be interesting...

Last edited by a moderator:
I have to agree with those who take the side that $600 for the ps3 is a lot of bang for your buck.

As a kids toy, yes I guess it is expensive. For a child $600 just for a luxury item is still a lot. For an adult it is not.

The audience for the console has changed now. This is not what dad buys for his kids bedroom. This is what dad buys for the living room. These are not the Playstation1 days. Console gamers are much older now.

Ps2 helped popularize gaming with mainstream adults. And now Sony is going to capitalize on that.

If they add some decent OS services too, it'll be worth it I think to most consumers. It might be something they can justify paying too readily, but it'll be priced fairly in their eyes.

That's right. The entire DLNA + PVR + Remote access angle is missing from yesterday's presentation (rightly so, since it's a game conference).

I'm thinking there are more to it than what Sony has shown us.

Back