Official GT5 discussion thread

Discussion in 'Console Gaming' started by nightshade, Nov 23, 2010.

1. F34R

Newcomer

Yeah, the cockpit view is what I race in exclusively. I've been told the no hud view with only the dials is the best, but that varies depending on who is doing the talking. I'll post a full review once I've gone through the majority of the content. It'll probably be within the next week to be honest. I'm working for two more days, then I'll have four days off to play non-stop mostly.

I've also been capturing a lot of video, stills, etc, to post when I'm ready for the full review. It'll be a blowout of coverage.

2. flipswitch

Newcomer

Do you reckon the have reduced the detail of the premium models compared to prologue?

Maybe it's the jaggies, shadow maps or possibly the QAA, they just appear to be lower in detail, or don't look as good as they used to.What do you guys think?

3. ShadowRunner

Veteran

Something definately doesnt add up thats for sure, this is the GT4 model:
    [​IMG]

Compared to supposedly GT5:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Edit: sorry, just realised you guys are talking about a different car/image.

If not photoshops (which they are IMO) must be some LOD bug, maybe the higher LOD model isnt being swapped in for this car for some reason. If it is indeed imported from GT4 we can see above what the model should look like. All the standard models i have seen while playing have been fine, the cases like above seem to be freak anomalies and are not representative of the standard cars at all.

#123 ShadowRunner, Nov 27, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 27, 2010
  4. Scott_Arm

Legend

Maybe they used a race model from GT4 rather than a higher lod model from GT4 replay mode. I'm not sure if GT4 did model swapping, but just a thought since it is a common practice in racers. Or could that be a car from GT PSP?

5. Pete

Pete Moderate Nuisance
    Moderator Veteran

I saw the shockingly low-res alpha arch on the wing of a car in a video from taxigamer. Check out the third from the bottom, "La Sarthe replay. LMP1. Standard." http://www.taxigamer.com/gameplay/sony-playstation-3/gt5-gameplay/

You can see it on the neon green and blue Nissan in the beginning of the video, most clearly at 6 seconds in: the curve of the green wing on the white car body. It's harder to see it in the wheel arches because of the black background of the tire.

I also noticed a delay in loading a higher-detail texture between the asphalt and the sand at ~12 seconds in, but that's being picky even for me.

6. patsu

Legend

7. patsu

Legend

8. djskribbles

Legend Veteran

What are the purposes of each GT thread? :???:

Anyway, where do you find classic cars ('79 or '69 and older)?

9. inefficient

Veteran

The more I play it, the less I resent the crappy standard cars.

Not all the standards stand out like a sore thumb. It seems to be mostly the low end cars that did not get enough attention when they ported them over.

Compared to other games the physics simulation is very good. But I feel that at very high speeds the simulation is a little weak. Speeds over 200mph+ seem to result in some weird behavior at times. The low to mid range cars feel the most realistic to drive. But to be fair I have never driven a real super car.

10. Billy Idol

Legend Veteran

do you use a wheel, or joypad?

11. gokickrocks

Regular

look at the american dealers for the cars, or hunt the used car section, or...
    get gold in the muscle car races and you get a Special '62, at least I think it was the muscle cars

I found that with the older cars, you'd want to upgrade your transmission so that you could at least get a higher top speed, I bought a dodge challenger (4speed) and it kept pegging the redline until I upgraded (the special '62 comes with an upgraded 6 speed)

12. Shifty Geezer

Shifty Geezer uber-Troll!
    Moderator Legend

I can only assume that there's some issue with the low-res buffers, perhaps a bug, that's causing bits to be downres'd and then upscaled without bilinear filtering. I can't for the life of me think of a valid reason for this, or how such errors could pass through QA on Sony's flagship title.

13. Arwin

Arwin Now Officially a Top 10 Poster
    Moderator Legend

I was just going to say - at 200mph+ speeds, yes, some very weird behavior should happen! Those are crazy speeds for cars.

I try to stick to Premium cars at all times ... so far I get by quite well.

Patch 1.02 just released (133MB again), adding the promised weight and power restrictions (which is awesome) and all the community features are back including the Log. Everything we've done during its absence is not recorded though. I've tested it and it works great - set up a simple test room for two players, and once I set the restrictions it listed the cars in my garage that applied in order of best match, perfect. I like that you can also choose a car from your own garage and let everyone drive exactly that, and the options for reverse results grids and shuffle cars assigning slower cars to faster drivers are great too - you can even set the range for the difference in cars. And allowing races with false starts is great too.

This is shaping up very nicely ... when the December patch adds online leaderboards as promised, I'll be completely happy.

Also, I'm embarrassed to say that only yesterday I realised I hadn't changed my Wheel settings from Amateur to Simulation yet. Embarrassing, and what a difference it makes!

14. Quaz51

Regular

my 3D setting for a true orthostereosopic experience (and full depth)

Cockpit view with "very narrow" mode
    Convergence: 0.9
    Parallax: (size screen dependant)
    65" = 6 or 7 (6 if you have a low interocular distance like 6.5cm or less, 7 if your interocular is near 7cm)
    60" = 7
    55" = 7 or 8 (7 if you have a low interocular like 6.5cm or less, 8 if your interocular is near 7cm)
    50" = 8 or 9 (8 if you have a low interocular like 6.5cm or less, 9 if your interocular is near 7cm)
    46" = 9
    42/40/37" = 10

and if possible play at a distance x1 diagonal of the screen for right FOV
    it's agressive but very realist (and unforgettable) experience. i played lot of hours without problem
    need a good TV with few ghosting (for me VT20 with contrast 30 and brightness 20 for hide ghosting)
    this will be better if we would can OFF the HUD (depth conflict with some element of the dashboard when convergence is 0.9)

for other views (not cockpit) parallax 10 for all TV size and convergence 0.70
    but it isn't orthostereoscopy or full depth

somebody know how export MPO 3D photo?
    for jpg no problem but for mpo it's blocked for me, why?

15. nightshade

nightshade Interwebz Hijacker !
    Veteran

Is 1920*1080 with jpg compression the best photomode can do ?

16. Quaz51

Regular

the best is 2x1920x1080 with .mpo for 3D :cool:

need export for view this 3D photo in 1080p with "Playmemories" but export seem blocked for mpo

#136 Quaz51, Nov 27, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 27, 2010
  17. tha_con

Banned

It seems more than sufficient. I'm pretty sure it's not a limitation of the hardware or anything, rather, just a choice made to make it easy to trade images for wallpapers, etc. I mean, it would be pretty troublesome for sharing online if the images clocked in at a few MB each at super high resolution.

18. nightshade

nightshade Interwebz Hijacker !
    Veteran

I HATE the Top Gear Bus challenge, its so cheap !

I mean how the hell does a car behind me which I just overtook in a corner is able to pass me in a straight by simply outrunning me eventhough both of us drive the same vehicle & I have the speed advantage due to making a faster corner ? Leave that, the most annoying part of this race is that the vehicle is a friggin bus, and the AI drivers behind me always drives annoyingly & it'll always hit my bus' backside causing me to lose speed & control (and get disqualified), but when I hit them I get disqualified in that case as well. And to top that the first car is always way ahead of the pack with 2-4th position cars.

19. tha_con

Banned

Well, if he's getting more speed than you it's because he took a faster line, there's no question about it.

This race is particularly tricky because you can really only pass during a handful of sections. Hammer Head and Bacharach are the two biggest turns you'll be able to gain time on.

It seems pretty ridiculous, but it's not too bad. You should be in 6th or 7th place at the end of the 2nd lap, anything lower than that and you may as well restart.

Edit: Also for those interested (likely no one :p) I wrote a 'review' of the game. Maybe if someone could give me some critical input or tell me if it does / doesn't cover enough? The game is pretty big so I just tried to cover the general points here and there.

http://www.project-abraham.com/forums/entry.php?36-Gran-Turismo-5-Review

20. joker454

Veteran

Is there an up to date list of premium cars anywhere?