Official GT5 discussion thread

Sorry but that looks really boring. Also that vacuum cleaner sound is just such a major turn off from the Aventador. I bought both the DLCs but I have yet to try them. Been too busy grinding the B spec events to make money and buy cars and break cars in. When the hell will PD move from recording vacuum cleaners to actual cars?! If EA can get it right with their NFS series in terms of sound why the hell cannot PD?!?!?

Route X reminds me of Highway 880 around Oakland towards SF.
The cockpit view with dynamic night light (in the middle of the video) looks realistic and very very familiar ! ^_^

The cars sound like they're recorded from far in open space. If it's recorded up close, I guess some of the vehicles will sound like explosions. I passed by a track years ago and was stuttered by the boom when the cars fired up from the other side of the trees (Didn't know a track was close by).

EDIT:
Official 2.03 patch note:

Gran Turismo 5 2.03 Update, New Seasonal Events Now Available
http://www.gtplanet.net/gran-turismo-5-2-03-update-dlc-new-seasonal-events-now-available/

The latest Gran Turismo 5 update, version 2.03, weighs in at 225MB and is currently going live around the world. 2.03′s new features were leaked, but have now been officially confirmed by Polyphony Digital:

* 12 new My Home theme colors and 12 new wallpapers for [GT Mode] have been added to the game. Please find these from the [My Home Settings]-[My Home Design] menu on the left side of the screen.

* Tire wear speed prediction has been added to the pit stop decisions in B-Spec, to prevent tires from wearing out completely during long races.

* Regenerative braking (which recovers energy by converting kinetic energy into electricity) in electric cars have been made stronger to extend driving distance.

* Electric cars will now also creep forward (as in standard automatic cars) when the brake is released without pressing the accelerator.

* Regarding the Chaparral 2J race car’s performance points, the increased performance factor due to the downforce produced by the fan is now calculated.

* A issue has been corrected where the car would pit in unintentionally during the last lap of a B spec race.

Sorry but that looks really boring. Also that vacuum cleaner sound is just such a major turn off from the Aventador. I bought both the DLCs but I have yet to try them. Been too busy grinding the B spec events to make money and buy cars and break cars in. When the hell will PD move from recording vacuum cleaners to actual cars?! If EA can get it right with their NFS series in terms of sound why the hell cannot PD?!?!?

Actually thats a pretty good track for testing some slipstream strategy :smile:
Its almost like a lengthy dragster. Not sure if I would have playe dthat track much though. Nice eye candy btw.

I think PD records the sound of isolated engines rather than how the car roars in its totality. What I find weird is that some cars while they are being on halt before the race starts, when you accelerate the car roars convincingly and once the engine reaches its momentum the roar is eliminated and we get the weak vacuum-like sound instead

I hope PD improves the sound in the next installment

Damn and blast. I tried doing the b spec race again at La Sarthe and I was leading by 10 seconds on the last lap. I had just pitted and fresh tires and fresh Bob. Things couldn't be better...when boom I got hit with the infamous slowdown bug. Lost my first place. Was so posses I didn't even finish the game. This with a lvl 39 and 34 bobs too! PD needs to fix these sort of bugs in the game. That slowdown bug kills me :( so frustrating.

patsu said:
What is the best car to use for the European Classics race in A-Spec ?

I think I used a '74 Lambo that I win in a Lambo race elsewhere.

Damn and blast. I tried doing the b spec race again at La Sarthe and I was leading by 10 seconds on the last lap. I had just pitted and fresh tires and fresh Bob. Things couldn't be better...when boom I got hit with the infamous slowdown bug. Lost my first place. Was so posses I didn't even finish the game. This with a lvl 39 and 34 bobs too! PD needs to fix these sort of bugs in the game. That slowdown bug kills me :( so frustrating.

I did that race lots of times, never got the slowdown bug? What tires were you on?

And what car?

I did that race lots of times, never got the slowdown bug? What tires were you on?

And what car?

I was using the Audi R8 01 Playstation car I believe it was. Open cockpit. Tranny set to 249. Tires first on Race then Intermediate for the rest of the race. Lvl 34 and 39 drivers. Basically the Mulsanne corner is where the slowdown bug happens. The driver sort of slides in to the dirt for some reason even though his aggression is not maxe out. And then that is ok...if only that happened but the worst part is the driver recovers and then stays at 50 mph for like 10-15 seconds and then normal service resumes. That is enough time for the cars to blast past me. I have won this race before and had the slowdown bug but they were so far behind me it was not a big deal.

I was using the Audi R8 01 Playstation car I believe it was. Open cockpit. Tranny set to 249. Tires first on Race then Intermediate for the rest of the race. Lvl 34 and 39 drivers. Basically the Mulsanne corner is where the slowdown bug happens. The driver sort of slides in to the dirt for some reason even though his aggression is not maxe out. And then that is ok...if only that happened but the worst part is the driver recovers and then stays at 50 mph for like 10-15 seconds and then normal service resumes. That is enough time for the cars to blast past me. I have won this race before and had the slowdown bug but they were so far behind me it was not a big deal.

Not a bug, been like that for.. well since release i would guess, you have to make sure they don´t leave the track, cool the driver down :)

Its a test course and its an oval where you are hitting the top RPMs and speed... a sports car will sound very different when taken to that extreme... I really don't think NFS is anywhere close to the cigar here.

I can tell you though although they were arcade style racers, Rage Racer on PS1 and Ridge Racer V featured a oval track circuit for actual racing against opponents... even though I'm sure you most likely never tried that and the RR games are arcade style, the oval racing is extremely intense and nerve racking because you must avoid any errors that would cause you to slow down.

I would be surprised if PD actually allowed online or single player offline racing against opponents in such a track, obviously being a sim there would be mostly the use of a single car type with strict rules to weed out cheaters with more horse power or better downforce drag statistics.

Its a test course and its an oval where you are hitting the top RPMs and speed... a sports car will sound very different when taken to that extreme... I really don't think NFS is anywhere close to the cigar here.

I can tell you though although they were arcade style racers, Rage Racer on PS1 and Ridge Racer V featured a oval track circuit for actual racing against opponents... even though I'm sure you most likely never tried that and the RR games are arcade style, the oval racing is extremely intense and nerve racking because you must avoid any errors that would cause you to slow down.

I would be surprised if PD actually allowed online or single player offline racing against opponents in such a track, obviously being a sim there would be mostly the use of a single car type with strict rules to weed out cheaters with more horse power or better downforce drag statistics.

INDY500 on the Amiga...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3dvdBAQFLZI

Spend so much time on that game :)

He doesn't spin off or crash or whatever at all when he is running hot for 9 laps and every single time on the 10th lap he spins. I will try and cool him off next time I try but if other racers are close by there is going to be no chance ever for him to cool off. This is the first b spec event where a Bob has crashed and keeps crashing over and over at the SAME exact area ever. Technically he doesn't even crash....he just slides a little bit in to the dust. And instead of recovering as quickly as possible he just sits there and only after 10-15 seconds does he begin to recover. Never seen that happen before. This is a lvl 39 bob too!

I could not disagree with you anymore even if I tried...no offense of course. I drive an E92 M3 and I have taken it up to its redline plenty of times and at no point did I feel like my car sounded like a vacuum cleaner. We have seen plenty of videos on Top Gear as well of cars being maxed out. At no point did they sound like a vacuum cleaner either. PD does not do sound right. THey have some cars sounding epic...case in point would be the Mazda 787B I think. That sounds pretty spot on. I think there is even a clip in youtube to that effect.

INDY500 on the Amiga...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3dvdBAQFLZI

Spend so much time on that game :)

Without going off topic here is what I was talking about when I mentioned the Arcade style racer... in Rage Racer and Ridge Racer V's oval circuits:

That is spoilers... the final race against all of the "devil" cars hence the Diable GP, the player makes it look easy of course and the video quality is not that great but it was the best one from an actual PlayStation console capture and of course once again its not a sim and the oval is NOT like a NASCAR or Indy 500 type race since these are fantasy exotic sports cars that look like consumer exotics not stripped down race cars.

And this is a regular GP with that track because I am trying to convey the intense nerve racking sensation of that as the game portrays it http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=caSo...realism can be forgiven if its not all there.

Last edited by a moderator:
He doesn't spin off or crash or whatever at all when he is running hot for 9 laps and every single time on the 10th lap he spins. I will try and cool him off next time I try but if other racers are close by there is going to be no chance ever for him to cool off. This is the first b spec event where a Bob has crashed and keeps crashing over and over at the SAME exact area ever. Technically he doesn't even crash....he just slides a little bit in to the dust. And instead of recovering as quickly as possible he just sits there and only after 10-15 seconds does he begin to recover. Never seen that happen before. This is a lvl 39 bob too!

I find that the Intermediates go away fast on a dry track, most likely what you are seeing is your driver being on the limit with tires that are close to worn out, on my win i had the same problem and had to get the driver down to very cool.

Oh hey I found a much nicer video of the new test track and the Aventador... The test track is definetly much longer than the previous Gran Turismo 4 and that real world test track in the Top Gear video I posted.

I think you can get a better sense of the sounds in that video...

I really want to get this track... and its a great thing that we got this over a year after the game launched, I am really curious what their next project will be...

Aside from that does anyone know or reccomend a really good high performance hard drive or maybe SSD for the PS3? I was going to get one but passed on it, and still have my 60GB launch drive.

PS this is the GT4 one for old times sake:

Last edited by a moderator:
It feels similar to the Top Gear track, but it's definitely long. Well I think it's 30km, right? I bought it anyway.

How do I race on Route X ? I don't see it anywhere in Arcade, Practice or GT A Spec mode.

Did you umm install it (from the in game Downloadable Content menu)? In GT Mode it should be next to the Car Delivery icon (for speed tests), and in Arcade/Practice it's the 3rd track on the Originals tab.

Back