Official GT5 discussion thread

The reviewers were looking to GT5 to redefine nextgen racing. It reused the same formula but with better graphics, physics, driving mechanics, etc. That's why the press were disappointed.

Polyphony will need to surprise these people in Spec 2.0 with unexpected (new) features -- if Sony want to create more hype.

Hmm that is a hard one. How do you redefine racing games?

I would have liked a C-Spec mode where the game simply put me through a complete racing life ending with a 24 hour race at le-mans. But that is hardly a redefinition.

But the honest truth is, that GT5 is by all means a sandbox game. You create your own races and challenges. And GT5 is gigantic when you really see it that way.

There is over 1000 cars to race, AND YOU DON´T NEED PREMIUM CARS TO RACE :), just the selection of LE-MANS cars is enough to "waste" countless hours with.

You have 70+ track layouts, and again, just the classics is more than enough to waste time with.

As mentioned the game adds more racing options with the new series so there is just so much of everything. It´s an evolution of the GT series, but it´s so good that it really does make the older versions obsolete.

The things that lack in the game comes from the Sandbox nature, and i think that PD dropped the ball on some of the easier things they could have added to the game.. Premade online races that would make it easier to race equal cars against each other including series. I would absolutely love to do a DTM online setting, Le-mans, WRC, Nascar etc etc.. Qualifying sessions and real starts would be cool as well. In general just more races and races where the electronic aids are disabled. They are making up for some of these short comings with the seasonal events but i want more... MORE.

Kaz_Yamauchi 山内 一典
Basically we’ve tried to include the feedback we’ve received from all our players. I apologize for the repeated posts:
40 minutes ago
山内 一典
Kaz_Yamauchi 山内 一典
Continuing on Spec 2.0 and the DLC; First, regarding the Spec 2.0 update (free):

Kaz_Yamauchi 山内 一典
3. Added a setting sheet feature allowing you to save multiple car settings...
17 minutes ago
山内 一典
Kaz_Yamauchi 山内 一典
1. Simplified interior view added to all standard cars. 2. User control of the weather change feature.
17 minutes ago

Kaz_Yamauchi 山内 一典
4. Spec 2.0 Opening movie 5. Improved UI response and usability 6. Replay front forward/rewind
5 minutes ago

7. Mid-race save feature for endurance races. / 8. Expanded online lounge features (Narrowing down car types, shuffle races)...

9. Extending the B-spec race can play from a remote GT.COM (Add a graph to change rank) /
10. Travel photo enhancements (take a picture with your avatar).

Last edited by a moderator:
11. Added a “NASCAR Pit Scene” stage to Photo Travel / 12. Added eleven 2011 model NASCAR cars...

Man!! How many more improvements is he going to announce?

I hope he keeps some things back as suprises! I want to see some tech improvements aswell though. I wonder what the DLC be? Cars, tracks and new events would be great! 24hr race around Spa please 8)

13. Added the Nissan GT-R N24 Shulze Motor Sport, / 14. Improved physics and AI..

Improved physics and A.I sounds big! I expect some new face offs with another game on a rival platfrom in a few weeks!

Kaz_Yamauchi 山内 一典
Something like this. For the DLC we’re preparing a racing car pack, a course pack, and a racing gear pack...I’ll let you know more about...

So, alot of boxes are ticked!!!!!! I hope there are new track alongside old tracks.....If theyre doing old tracks then i'd like to think they'd look better than Autumn Ring!

4. Spec 2.0 Opening movie 5. Improved UI response and usability 6. Replay front forward/rewind

7. Mid-race save feature for endurance races. / 8. Expanded online lounge features (Narrowing down car types, shuffle races)...

13. Added the Nissan GT-R N24 Shulze Motor Sport, / 14. Improved physics and AI..
I'm liking these things so far. I will probably finish the endurance races now.

Sounds like great stuff. Tempted to re-buy ps3 just for gt5 and uncharted3. "Lost" my console when I moved last time.

http://blog.eu.playstation.com/2011/10/05/gt5-functionality-update-2-0/

Cut and paste with some of the .. YEAH! stuff:

Firstly all ‘standard’ cars will now feature an interior view, the level of detail will vary from car to car, but now for the first time you will be able to literally get behind the wheel of all the cars in the game.

Next is the great news that players can now save their progress during endurance races and return to the fray at a time of their own choosing.

Shortening of load times and improved menu response

Improved car physics simulation, further evolved A.I.

Improved and enhanced user interface

Support for the Logitech G25/G27 steering wheels

New features in the Online Lounge*

very shortly we will be sharing with you details of a forthcoming package of exciting DLC for GT5 that will include new vehicles and tracks plus a host of other additional new content.

*I wished for this just today.

Hmm that is a hard one. How do you redefine racing games?

I would have liked a C-Spec mode where the game simply put me through a complete racing life ending with a 24 hour race at le-mans. But that is hardly a redefinition.

But the honest truth is, that GT5 is by all means a sandbox game. You create your own races and challenges. And GT5 is gigantic when you really see it that way.

There is over 1000 cars to race, AND YOU DON´T NEED PREMIUM CARS TO RACE :), just the selection of LE-MANS cars is enough to "waste" countless hours with.

You have 70+ track layouts, and again, just the classics is more than enough to waste time with.

As mentioned the game adds more racing options with the new series so there is just so much of everything. It´s an evolution of the GT series, but it´s so good that it really does make the older versions obsolete.

The things that lack in the game comes from the Sandbox nature, and i think that PD dropped the ball on some of the easier things they could have added to the game.. Premade online races that would make it easier to race equal cars against each other including series. I would absolutely love to do a DTM online setting, Le-mans, WRC, Nascar etc etc.. Qualifying sessions and real starts would be cool as well. In general just more races and races where the electronic aids are disabled. They are making up for some of these short comings with the seasonal events but i want more... MORE.

Yeah.... but notice the word "perfect", "Imperfection" appear in Arwin's post ? The press and their fan base have super high expectation due to Polyphony's past work, and the long development time.

I see more details about Spec II today. :love: some of the features. How come no leaderboards in a racing game ?

Also, I *think* besides listening to fans, Polyphony should also roll something unexpected (i.e., their own vision) in GT5 Spec II.

Yeah.... but notice the word "perfect", "Imperfection" appear in Arwin's post ? The press and their fan base have super high expectation due to Polyphony's past work, and the long development time.

I see more details about Spec II today. :love: some of the features. How come no leaderboards in a racing game ?

Also, I *think* besides listening to fans, Polyphony should also roll something unexpected (i.e., their own vision) in GT5 Spec II.

I think their main vision is to really REALLY create the ultimate driving simulator. And apparently that does make them loose focus on creating more ways to enjoy the ultimate driving simulator :)

Yeah, for me GT5 is still the one right now, no question about it. Sure there are a lot of things that could be better, but just driving on the Nurburgring with weather and day night change alone would have sold the game to me. And there is a *lot* more than that in the game. I personally really enjoyed the special events, even more than most of the other stuff. A-spec is a bit too old hat for me. B-spec is nice, but too passive for me - should be more RPG like.

GT5 is a *lot* of game for the money. But the problem with a lot of game, is that there is also a lot of stuff to find criticism for. If you do only a few things, but do them flawless, you'll get more credit, even though you delivered much less. I know the experience first hand, in both the good sense and the bad.

But anyway, Spec 2.0 sounds great, and seems to solve the last big criticisms that fans had. Certainly many I had (and my colleagues) ... it's great news!

To celebrate, I'm reposting last weekend's drive on the ring, for the few people here that don't also follow the Forza Motorsport 4 thread. ;)

I think their main vision is to really REALLY create the ultimate driving simulator. And apparently that does make them loose focus on creating more ways to enjoy the ultimate driving simulator :)

I think the key thing is Spec 2.0 should not sound/feel like a huge bug fix patch. ^_^

GT5 is a *lot* of game for the money. But the problem with a lot of game, is that there is also a lot of stuff to find criticism for. If you do only a few things, but do them flawless, you'll get more credit. I know the experience first hand, in both the good sense and the bad.

I definitely agree.

Note that I'm more referring to how the management and marketing folks treat one of my favorite games. I'm somewhat p*ssed at them for mishandling such a great product blatantly. Now they need to do some amount of repair. Make no mistake, I :love: GT5. Wouldn't have bought the wheel on impulse, and ignore my wife's demand. ;-)

I'm also trying to convince another friend to get a wheel since he plays the game so much (He's trying to steal mine !). :devilish:

Its strange i know, but its maybe due to amount of data transfer and servers capacity it would require.
In Prologue first 25 or 50 lap times on leaderboard had replays available for every GT5:p player, and now imagine this in GT 5, 1k cars, 3 types of tyres, assists, tunning, modifications, 140 tracks layouts [with reverse], different weather and day time and all of those multiply by 25/50 replays.
Its at least 12 million [most likely 50+] replays stored and available for every GT user.

Last edited by a moderator:
They don't have to keep replays for everyone if the storage requirement is too big. Just explain it to the fanbase.

Some more news:
http://www.gtplanet.net/new-gt5-time-drift-trials-online-car-dealership-updated/

Hot off the heels of the formal Gran Turismo 5 Spec 2.0 announcement, Polyphony Digital has just made two new Time Trial and Drift Trial events available in the game:

Time Trials

Japanese 90s Deep Forest Raceway/Reverse: for any commercial car manufactured in Japan in the 1990s. Participant cars can be tuned up to 345BHP and 1000kg. Tire selection is limited to comfort/soft or less.
PP750 Cape Ring Outside Time Trial: for any car with 750PP or less. Tires are limited to racing/hard or less.

Drift Trials

Eiger Nordwand G Trail Reverse: for any car equipped with dirt tires.
Autumn Ring Mini/Reverse: for any car equipped with comfort/soft tires or less.
The game’s Online Car Dealership has also been updated with the following new models

They don't have to keep replays for everyone if the storage requirement is too big. Just explain it to the fanbase.
I know that, You know that, but its a Kazunori who decides :) He got his vision and if something doesnt match, its not included.

Back