Nvidia DLSS 1 and 2 antialiasing discussion *spawn*

after getting used to dozens of DLSS vs native comparisons, testing the 11 XeSS compatible games that I have, I can't help but think that like 95% of 4K native games have horrible AA, they look so ugly. In fact, without reconstruction techniques I find my games look a bit disappointing even if it's just too easy to run games from 2020 and before at 4K 120fps these days. This is a screengrab I took today when playing Totally Reliable Delivery Service :mrgreen: at native 4K, maxed out settings and AA enabled.

FOYBpr3.png
All temporal reconstruction techniques are helped significantly by the fact that many (most?) in-house TAA solutions are in fact really bad.

imho, this is huge, so I share here too. DLSS XeSS FSR2 support for Skyrim released.

https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/80343?tab=description

You also need the Upscaler Base Plugin -he also did this to have a base plugin mod to use in more games like Resident Evil games-. This is good stuff, 'cos you might take into account that FSR 2 and XeSS are DX12 only, and Skyrim is a DX11 game. DLSS is DX12 only? Just curious...-

491_1670576320.jpg

Last edited:
after getting used to dozens of DLSS vs native comparisons, testing the 11 XeSS compatible games that I have, I can't help but think that like 95% of 4K native games have horrible AA, they look so ugly. In fact, without reconstruction techniques I find my games look a bit disappointing even if it's just too easy to run games from 2020 and before at 4K 120fps these days. This is a screengrab I took today when playing Totally Reliable Delivery Service :mrgreen: at native 4K, maxed out settings and AA enabled.

I think that's an issue with all modern games to be honest, TAA gives a stable image but the blur (As subtle as it can be) destroys graphics.

I play a lot of older games with 4/8xMSAA + 4/8x TrSAA and the image quality blows away modern games.

I think that's an issue with all modern games to be honest, TAA gives a stable image but the blur (As subtle as it can be) destroys graphics.

I play a lot of older games with 4/8xMSAA + 4/8x TrSAA and the image quality blows away modern games.
that's why I fell for DLSS after seeing how it worked in Wolfenstein Youngblood and it was like magic, it looked better than native 4K. As for MSAA, it was like the holy grail of AA back in the day. I remember calling it FSAA too. Forza Horizon 5 still features it. Even with it enabled, some games are prone to shimmering.

Playing classic games can be fun nowadays, suddenly you notice details you missed at 4K and you can have like 8xMSAA and still get 120 or more fps. Wish things like DLSS, XeSS, DLSS3 etc, could be forced via drivers, our jaws would certainly drop.

I found 2.25x DLDSR is a god sent. If the game supports DLSS, it's even better on top of DLDSR. Smoothness should be at least 50%, because DLDSR is quite sharper, but I prefer 80%. I beat both Days Gone and God of war with this settings, it's miles better than native TAA. DLSS 2.4.6 is ghosting free.

that's why I fell for DLSS after seeing how it worked in Wolfenstein Youngblood and it was like magic, it looked better than native 4K. As for MSAA, it was like the holy grail of AA back in the day. I remember calling it FSAA too. Forza Horizon 5 still features it. Even with it enabled, some games are prone to shimmering.

Playing classic games can be fun nowadays, suddenly you notice details you missed at 4K and you can have like 8xMSAA and still get 120 or more fps. Wish things like DLSS, XeSS, DLSS3 etc, could be forced via drivers, our jaws would certainly drop.

You don't need DLSS, XeSS, DLSS3 forced via drivers for older games as it's super easy to force raw super sampling.

New DLSS version available.
I've been entertaining myself by swapping various DLLs each time I'm playing a game with DLSS, and so far the majority of such swaps were completely pointless. The IQ changes from this are borderline non existent IMO.

I've been entertaining myself by swapping various DLLs each time I'm playing a game with DLSS, and so far the majority of such swaps were completely pointless. The IQ changes from this are borderline non existent IMO.
the differences are hard to find maybe because the changes are small or just noticeable in very specific situations. Talking of which, this video in german just mentions something I noticed in general, it's hard to find differences between Quality and Balanced settings. But you get quite a few extra frames when going from Quality to Balanced.

You can use SGSSAA on modern Nvidia GPUs in almost any game which supports (even as "forced") MSAA.
Why the capability wasn't exposed in the "official" control panel is a question from the same area as "why hasn't Nvidia updated their CPL since 2010?"
Most games dont support MSAA though requiring constant toiling with compatibility bits. Nvidia could have done much more with this if they cared. It would be far superior to DLAA for example which honesty doesn't seem to do much.

SGSSAA was the best. Shame Nvidia never decided it was worth anything.
did it also fix shimmering?

One of my favourite FPS ever -some unforgettable moments in that game and it ran well on my Voodoo 3 and Celeron 300MHz- is going to get DLSS, XeSS and FSR support, aside from being path traced. :)

did it also fix shimmering?
It fixes everything. It is super sampling with the sample grid rotated (or “sparse”). 4xSGSSAA should have the same performance impact as setting resolution to +400%, so obviously it can only be used on ancient games. But since the sample grid is rotated, image quality with SGSSAA is better than increasing render scale for the same cost. Rotated sample grid is probably especially good for reducing shimmering though I have no evidence other than personal experience. Crysis was kind of a shimmering nightmare and it looked fantastic with SSAA. But it didn’t run too well with SSAA on a 320MB 8800GTS :)

Also I’ve read that NVIDIA’s SGSSAA was initially a bug that caused every pixel to get the transparency super sampling treatment.

Last edited:
Back