Nvidia DLSS 1 and 2 antialiasing discussion *spawn*

What is this forbidden knowledge?

TrSAA for Nvidia or Adaptive AA (set to quality) for AMD.

Completely eradicates all the aliasing and flickering on the trees and foliage as it does in pretty much every game that can use MSAA.

It's an option people have forgot about since we got TAA.

TrSAA for Nvidia or Adaptive AA (set to quality) for AMD.

Completely eradicates all the aliasing and flickering on the trees and foliage as it does in pretty much every game that can use MSAA.

It's an option people have forgot about since we got TAA.
I know about that. I was saying that full screen SSAA allegedly started as a transparency SSAA bug that caused the entire screen to be considered a transparency. Properly functioning TrSSAA does nothing for specular aliasing which is responsible for the shimmering I was referring to. Transparency aliasing is also horrible (and probably even more of a problem in Crysis than specular aliasing) but I put that in a different category.

TRSSAA is very expensive in foliage heavy games. While cheaper than full on downsampling it was still prohibitively expensive and was not some easy fix in Crysis that only a select few knew about.

TRSSAA is very expensive in foliage heavy games. While cheaper than full on downsampling it was still prohibitively expensive and was not some easy fix in Crysis that only a select few knew about.

It's performance hit was negligible once you got to the GTX400 series and HD5000 series as the game was heavily CPU limited by that point.

Last edited:
I know about that. I was saying that full screen SSAA allegedly started as a transparency SSAA bug that caused the entire screen to be considered a transparency.
You mean the same SSAA that was very first widely available AA for consumers in 2000 and V4/5?

You mean the same SSAA that was very first widely available AA for consumers in 2000 and V4/5?
Yes it is the same thing. I’m talking about the option in the control panel. It was supposed to enable transparency super sampling but it applied to the whole screen, and people liked it so NVIDIA allowed people to turn it on in some unofficial capacity. Allegedly. I don’t recall full screen SSAA being an option at that time.

Last edited:
Yes it is the same thing. I’m talking about the option in the control panel. It was supposed to enable transparency super sampling but it applied to the whole screen, and people liked it so NVIDIA allowed people to turn it on in some unofficial capacity. Allegedly. I don’t recall full screen SSAA being an option at that time.
Yeah, it disappeared for whatever reason after pretty much everything went MSAA. Though essentially rendering at higher resolution and scaling down, which has always been available in one way or another, is the same thing if you don't mind ordered grid.

OG was trash, Rotated Grid was good
Yup, OG is bad.

Sadly combination was only way to get more than 8 SSAA samples with decent sample position.
Would have been amazing if we had MSAA patterns go well beyond 8x.

Nvidia now uses 16x sample OG pattern for VRS, so modern hardware should allow 16x with decent pattern.

A redditor noticed that version 2.5.1 of nvngx_dlss.dll has the built-in sharpening fully disabled. And someone from Nvidia replied to confirm that indeed "DLSS sharpening is now deprecated in the latest version".

Good riddance! It produced nasty haloes and compared really poorly to other sharpening filters. Yet, it was forced on in many games with no way to fully disable it.

Yeah in the past I criticized the oversharped looking DLSS image in Uncharted 4. Since a week I'am using 2.5.1 DLSS and it looks very good and superior to native UHD. A nice bonus is that my GPU now needs around 120 Watt less than in native UHD while playing Uncharted 4. DLSS makes the game quite light. Brilliant technology.

Last edited:
A redditor noticed that version 2.5.1 of nvngx_dlss.dll has the built-in sharpening fully disabled. And someone from Nvidia replied to confirm that indeed "DLSS sharpening is now deprecated in the latest version".

Good riddance! It produced nasty haloes and compared really poorly to other sharpening filters. Yet, it was forced on in many games with no way to fully disable it.

I think that's a smart choice. So many games include radeon cas, or another sharpening option. Probably better to let DLSS handle upscale and have a superior sharpening option IF people want it.

Back