Nvidia DLSS 3 antialiasing discussion

Gotta say, playing Darktide right now and I'd 100% turn on frame generation if I had an rtx 40 series. This game absolutely hammers cpus. I have a 5600x and I can see one core hitting 80-100% and I'll drop as low as 80 fps. I want to barf emoji, but I don't see it on this site. I have ray tracing off and ragdolls, debris and lens flares set to minimum because they're supposed to be cpu impacting. Still hit 80s, as the game seems to be maybe draw call limited, or it's animation and not physics that does it in. Fps never goes super high either with graphics set to low, so I set them to max (except ray tracing) and I'm always cpu limited on a 3080 with DLSS2.

Frame generation would actually do wonders here. Weird when I turned on rtx my max fps was a lot lower, but the worst scenes were dipping just below 60 fps, which isn't a whole lot worse than the 80s I'm getting with RTX off.

Not sure what you mean - how would you do that? DLSS requires motion vectors, if it could be forced to any game through a driver then we wouldn't have to wait for announcements of per-game support.
one can only dream about that, but that would be ideal. On a DF interview it was mentioned that they could use those techniques at a driver level, but then I asked directly and got a "this is not a feature we have now available" from the horse's mouth. For 2D games, Retro Scaling should do the trick and that's a feature which is available in the drivers on a global level -at least on Intel's drivers, and from what I remember when I used my GTX 1080, also on nVidia's-.

In the past few days, we spoke with Studio Director and Game Director Paulo Gomes about NVIDIA DLSS 3, the improvements it brings to the game's performance and visual fluidity, and the opportunities the new tech from NVIDIA can bring. As a reminder, Dakar Desert Rally is out now on PC (Steam, Epic Games Store), PlayStation 4, PlayStation 5, Xbox One, and Xbox Series S|X.

Dakar Desert Rally Q&A​

Q: How much of an improvement does DLSS 3 introduce in your game compared to DLSS 2 (Super Resolution)?
A: It’s a really significant improvement. DLSS 3 completely doubles our framerate compared to only using DLSS 2.

Q: One of the potential drawbacks of DLSS 3 is the additional latency. Does Frame Generation add significant latency in your implementation, or is Reflex able to cover that?
A: During numerous tests, we didn’t see any significant increase in latency. Overall we’d say it was pretty negligible.

Q: The new GeForce RTX 4000 Series also introduced features like Shader Execution Reordering (SER), Opacity Micro-Maps (OMM), and Displaced Micro-Mesh (DMM) to help with ray tracing optimization. All of these have to be explicitly enabled and set up by game developers. Are you planning to take advantage of any of them?

A: These are exciting new technologies, and we are eager to start working with them! At the moment, we are working on implementing ray tracing in a future performance patch, and we are investigating specific RTX 4000 features that we may implement down the road.

Q: Lastly, on a separate note, what do you think of RTX Remix as a developer?

A: Without a doubt, it is a great opportunity to revisit and reimage classic titles using ray tracing technology. Giving some beloved titles new life with updated and modern-looking visuals is exciting, and we’ve seen some great recent successes.

December 19, 2022
Speaking of DLSS Frame Generation implementation, the overall image quality is quite impressive, even small flying particle effects, such as snow on Skellige, are rendered correctly in a fast movement scenario. However, there are also a few important issues of note. We spotted excessive shimmering and flickering on tree leaves and vegetation at 1440p and below, and these shimmering issues are visible even when standing still, but it is less pronounced when compared to the FSR 2.1 shimmering issues. In other DLSS Frame Generation supported games we've tested, all of them had issues with the in-game on-screen UI, which had a very jittery look—the DLSS Frame Generation implementation in The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt does not have this issue.

Speaking of performance, The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt is a very CPU intensive game in DirectX 12, as the CPU usage is mostly single-threaded on PC due to very poor DirectX 12 implementation, and high-powered GPUs such as the GeForce RTX 4080 can end up CPU bottlenecked in some sequences of the game, even at 4K. In a such CPU limited scenario, comes a very welcome help from the DLSS Frame Generation technology, which has the ability to bypass CPU limitations and provide additional frames. With DLSS Super Resolution in Quality mode and DLSS Frame Generation enabled, you can expect more than doubled performance at 4K and 1440p, and during our testing, overall gameplay felt very smooth and responsive, we haven't spotted any issues with the input latency.

I have played nearly 70 hours Warhammer: Darktide with FG and it is the real deal. Game is mostly CPU limited with Raytracing on my 4090 so latency isnt an issue. Cant see any problems in this game even when hundreds of mobs running into one. Lets see how it will develop in the next months and years but i think it is as big or even a bigger innovation than DLSS (or temporal upscaling on PC).

It's great to see that frame generation doesn't affect the UI in Witcher 3. Is the implementation better in that it is applied to the frame buffer before the UI is added?

It's great to see that frame generation doesn't affect the UI in Witcher 3. Is the implementation better in that it is applied to the frame buffer before the UI is added?
That or the game doesn't render parts of UI in same pass as normal game graphics.

1672766911384.png

Will launch this year with DLSS3:

• Witchfire
  • Atomic Heart
  • The Day Before
  • THRONE AND LIBERTY
  • Warhaven
  • ILL Space

Will get a DLSS3 patch soon:

• Marvel’s Midnight Suns
  • Dakar Desert Rally
  • The Cycle: Frontier
  • Conqueror’s Blade
  • Tower of Fantasy

Launches with DLSS2:

• Dead Space

Is it a different model for each quality profile?
Guess that would give it the optimal output, just never considered that to be the case before.

View attachment 8015

Will launch this year with DLSS3:

• Witchfire
  • Atomic Heart
  • The Day Before
  • THRONE AND LIBERTY
  • Warhaven
  • ILL Space

Will get a DLSS3 patch soon:

• Marvel’s Midnight Suns
  • Dakar Desert Rally
  • The Cycle: Frontier
  • Conqueror’s Blade
  • Tower of Fantasy

Launches with DLSS2:

• Dead Space

on Atomic Heart:

Hope they add XeSS support, they hint at it being added after launch.

Is frame generation now considered acceptable (even desirable) ? Haven’t seen many complaints recently from average gamers about latency or artifacting in “fake frames”. Not a lot of media coverage either.

Yeah I get it’s harder to take pot shots at Nvidia now but the latency and potential IQ issues are valid concerns. If people stop talking about them there’s less incentive to improve the tech. It just occurred to me that I hadn’t seen any recent coverage. Nothing from Nvidia either in terms of frame gen upgrades.

Is frame generation now considered acceptable (even desirable)?
Very, it's very specially popular among NVIDIA users, a popular use of DLSS3 is to relieve the CPU bottlenecks of some games, and reduce the hit of some stutters.

In Dragon Dogma 2 for example, a popular method right now to get rid of CPU related stutters is to lock the game to 30fps, and use DLSS3 to reach 60fps, and thus mostly eliminate these stutters and achieve smooth performance.

Now, in order to eliminate the stutters on high-end CPUs, you’ll need an NVIDIA RTX40 series GPU. Then, you’ll have to lock your framerate to 30fps. After you do this, you’ll have to use the free DLSS 3 Frame Generation Mod. By doing this, you’ll get a smooth 60fps experience without any stuttering. And no, this isn’t a placebo effect. So, in order to prove our claims, here is a video in the most demanding area of the game, the Vernworth capital. As you can see, with this workaround, our PC system pushes constant 60fps, without stutters.
But what about input latency you may ask. Well, I have some good news. In Dragon’s Dogma 2 at locked 60fps with DLSS 3 FG, I did not notice any major input lag issues. That was a bit shocking as I’m really sensitive to mouse lag and I was expecting the game to feel laggy due to the 30fps lock. However, that wasn’t the case.

From my experience with both DLSS and FSR latency is heavily implementation dependent. Some games can be used with FG even at 30-40 pre-FG fps, some require 60+ and even then you can feel the added latency in them.

Some of the better implementations of DLSS FG are path traced games like CP2077 and Portal. One of the best FSR FG implementation to date is in Starfield (on par if not better than DLSS there IMO).

The Talos Principle is an interesting case as DLSS there had a driver bug since launch which they've worked around at some point but then Nvidia fixed the bug - the workaround implementation was very laggy, FSR was less laggy in comparison but with the driver fix DLSS became a lot less laggy and is now beating FSR there I'd say.

Other interesting comparisons include the fact that with DLSS you can pretty much force vsync in the driver and forget about further tweaking as "it just works". There are some minor issues with frame pacing on fast changes between "lite" and "heavy" frames (like looking at the sky and down again with a mouse) but they are tolerable and you generally get a fine experience above 90 visible fps with gsync (can be lower in some games).

With FSR you really need to lock the frame rate to some number which you will be hitting all the time as leaving it unlocked will lead to heavy frame pacing issues. This makes it harder to tweak into an optimal state than DLSS and you're loosing some performance in areas which can go higher than the limit but otherwise it does work surprisingly well when integrated properly.

On the latter note both DLSS and now FSR had botched integrations which just doesn't work. With FSR these are Avatar as of last couple of patches and TLOUP1. Enabling FSR FG in these don't improve the fps or do anything really at the moment. DLSS had is share of such borked integrations too. All of them were fixed eventually IIRC.

Back