NGGP: NextGen Garbage Pile (aka: No one reads the topics or stays on topic) *spawn*

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wonder how Sony will expand/not expand their PS mobile presence.

Will I be able to similarly download free games from PS mobile onto my PS4 for a quick gaming fix?

Will PS mobile even be compatible with PS4? Sony and Rovio insist on asking for 40 USD to play Angry Birds on PS3 through the PS Store, which is frankly just unreasonable.

Opening up one segment of games on the system and giving a lower entry fee to develop is a good idea I think. I'm pretty sure a PS mobile development software only costs 99 USD today. Why not let those developers tailor experiences compatible with Vita and PS4?

And since everything uses touch interfaces, why not make it compatible with PS Move? My favourite free game on Android is Fruit Ninja, I'd love to play a 1080p version of that on my PS4 for free using Move. I wouldn't mind the advertisements like I don't mind them on my phone either (I don't even see them tbh).

Just let developers go wild on PS4. Let them port Android/iOS software into a limited access area of PS4 and just let them do what they want with minigames and infinity runners and slicers and whatever. Just give them access to a couple of CPU cores, I'm sure that would be enough.

This is one of the things I wonder if Sony has taken the initiative to take on, but I'm not expecting anything of the sort. I just think it would be nice if it happened.

I hope to hear more about their overall Playstation direction on 20th.

Based on Sony's last statement, PS Mobile is only for the mobile devices. They were working on a PS3 version, but nothing was confirmed nor announced.

GoogleTV has apps, Windows RT has apps, Sony Entertainment Network has apps, Samsung SmartTV has apps, iOS has apps. An app ecosystem may be expected, but I doubt it will make a huge difference in the living room. The popular ones like NetFlix, Hulu Plus, etc. will be on every major platforms. Sony should focus on exclusive apps/content and entertainment technologies first.

Then, deliver a user driven ecosystem in a separate "partition". e.g., via h/w add-on, or server-based service running Android stack or Linux.

I hope to hear more about their overall Playstation direction on 20th.

Based on Sony's last statement, PS Mobile is only for the mobile devices. They were working on a PS3 version, but nothing was confirmed nor announced.

don't think they said they were working on it, they just take it into consideration and rumor to make it move mandatory to replace the touch screen control. As how they are going to expand PSM? Probably through their xperia line up more than anything, they are planning to ship over 50 millions xperia smartphone this fiscal year so thats 50 millions ps certified devices out there if they did meet their goal. Seeing how Mobage and Gree are so big in Japan, Im sure they want a piece of that pie. So far I still don't see it being very convincing for dev to jump on seeing how Android already have their own market place and works on most devices even their own xperia devices. Easy to port android apps and dev with their SDK but PSM still lacks trophies and proper PSN ID integration.

Very intriguing to see where all this is going to lead. Personally I think that all things considered Sony is actually the underdog here, but not by too large a margin. I am not expecting the two platforms to be very far from each other performance wise, and even after all the leaks I am not automatically convinced that Orbis is actually in the lead. The only credible sources to that extent for me are comments from devs.

Very intriguing to see where all this is going to lead. Personally I think that all things considered Sony is actually the underdog here, but not by too large a margin. I am not expecting the two platforms to be very far from each other performance wise, and even after all the leaks I am not automatically convinced that Orbis is actually in the lead. The only credible sources to that extent for me are comments from devs.

I agree. They have more excitement behind their product based on rumors, a stronger set of 1st party studios, a compelling online initiative (PS+), potential for exciting vita integration (game augmentation, more cross buy and cross play support). They also have the advantage of launching simultaneously with their competitor and likely on equal pricing grounds. All MS seem to have going for them is that Live is regarded as the superior online platform.

don't think they said they were working on it, they just take it into consideration and rumor to make it move mandatory to replace the touch screen control. As how they are going to expand PSM? Probably through their xperia line up more than anything, they are planning to ship over 50 millions xperia smartphone this fiscal year so thats 50 millions ps certified devices out there if they did meet their goal. Seeing how Mobage and Gree are so big in Japan, Im sure they want a piece of that pie. So far I still don't see it being very convincing for dev to jump on seeing how Android already have their own market place and works on most devices even their own xperia devices. Easy to port android apps and dev with their SDK but PSM still lacks trophies and proper PSN ID integration.

Some Sony dudes/execs mentioned that they were indeed looking into PS Mobile for PS3. It was called Playstation Certified games at that time.

I was hoping they port PSM to iOS too. But Sony expressed that they will focus on Sony devices first, followed by Android (Buy once run everywhere ?).

I agree. They have more excitement behind their product based on rumors, a stronger set of 1st party studios, a compelling online initiative (PS+), potential for exciting vita integration (game augmentation, more cross buy and cross play support). They also have the advantage of launching simultaneously with their competitor and likely on equal pricing grounds. All MS seem to have going for them is that Live is regarded as the superior online platform.

Arwin is saying he's not sure if Orbis is in the lead. ^_^

Well, according to all that has been revealed, Orbis shoudl steel have an advantage at GPU and RAM badwidth. Is the new Durango info so relevant to the performance to reverse the previous situation?

Some Sony dudes/execs mentioned that they were indeed looking into PS Mobile for PS3. It was called Playstation Certified games at that time.

I was hoping they port PSM to iOS too. But Sony expressed that they will focus on Sony devices first, followed by Android (Buy once run everywhere ?).

Not sure if Apple would allow Sony to eat into their profitable app store honestly, this kind of thing can only happen only on open platform.

Not sure if Apple would allow Sony to eat into their profitable app store honestly, this kind of thing can only happen only on open platform.

How would it eat into it? If users make a purchase in-app, Apple gets 30%. If not, they can "read" their purchases within that app, just like the kindle app and other apps do. They're going to be offering content not otherwise available in the app store so it's not like you can skirt 30% fees by purchasing not in-app of otherwise in the app store games.

The problem with this argument is that you are comparing it to Xbox 360. Durango is a different business model. You can download free games on Windows RT/Windows 8 aswell, why would Microsoft have a problem with free games? They will get a cut out of the ad revenue or the IAP either way.

And i dont see the controversy about beating Sony, unless they incorporate Android into PS4, they will easily have the smallest ecosystem, Microsoft will leverage their existing Windows 8 store into Xbox, by 2014 it should be fairly decent

The problem with yours if that you think Durango will be exactly like Windows RT/Windows 8,online play is free on windows but is not on xbox.

You are actually asking me why would MS have a problem with free games,MS actually blocked 3rd parties from releasing free content on xbox live,everything has to go through them.

I don't see MS allowing people to play freely on xbox live.

I don't think sony will use Android or allow it for the same reason money.

How would it eat into it? If users make a purchase in-app, Apple gets 30%. If not, they can "read" their purchases within that app, just like the kindle app and other apps do. They're going to be offering content not otherwise available in the app store so it's not like you can skirt 30% fees by purchasing not in-app of otherwise in the app store games.

Sony take 30% and Apple take another 30%, ya if I were the dev I won't bother. Just straight to itune store or google play.

I thought PS Certified was a designation for non-Playstation devices which can run PS and PS Mobile games?

Then, deliver a user driven ecosystem in a separate "partition". e.g., via h/w add-on, or server-based service running Android stack or Linux.

I hope it's not a hardware add-on. I think Sony just needs to find a way to be more aggressive and open here, and force the change to happen.

The problem with yours if that you think Durango will be exactly like Windows RT/Windows 8,online play is free on windows but is not on xbox

Xbox 360 is not Durango.

You are actually asking me why would MS have a problem with free games,MS actually blocked 3rd parties from releasing free content on xbox live,everything has to go through them./QUOTE]

Again Xbox 360 is not Durango, Microsoft requires you to have an gold account just to be able to play Netflix on 360, do you seriously think this will continue on Durango? If no, then why would everything else be the same? Whats the point of even including Windows 8 on Durango if they will use it exactly like they have with 360?

They could easily allow app downloads on silver accounts with free online and gold accounts for the Xbox games.

Sony take 30% and Apple take another 30%, ya if I were the dev I won't bother. Just straight to itune store or google play.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe the app provides the run environment, preventing the need to port the game. So I believe it's more of a question of "Hey, would you like us to release this game on this platform with tens of millions of users? You don't need to change your code at all, but we're going to take a big chunk of the selling price on top of the 30% apple takes." Vs. "Hey, we can spend the resources to port this game to iOS and let apple take 30%."

It depends on how Sony structure their deal. e.g., Qriocity is available on iOS because it's subscription based like Spotify.

Xbox 360 is not Durango.

Again Xbox 360 is not Durango, Microsoft requires you to have an gold account just to be able to play Netflix on 360, do you seriously think this will continue on Durango? If no, then why would everything else be the same? Whats the point of even including Windows 8 on Durango if they will use it exactly like they have with 360?

They could easily allow app downloads on silver accounts with free online and gold accounts for the Xbox games.

The 360 is not Durango but xbox live is MS cash cow on the xbox brand.

I don't know if they will require it or not,the fact is that is free everywhere else but on 360,that doesn't tell me something about the 360,it tells me allot about MS.

I would not keep my hopes to high.

I thought PS Certified was a designation for non-Playstation devices which can run PS and PS Mobile games?

My bad. Playstation Certification applies to the hardware that can run Playstation Suit apps and games. The latter was renamed to Playstation Mobile.

I hope it's not a hardware add-on. I think Sony just needs to find a way to be more aggressive and open here, and force the change to happen.

I think Sony may feel iffy about leaving the access totally open. e.g. PS3 Linux didn't have GPU access.

Not totally open, that's why I said before to offer limited access. Just offer up a couple of CPU cores to run some simple games that the PSM Runtime can be tied to. That's more than the power found in a smartphone, no?

Having Sony curate everything may act as a bottleneck to deliver more software is what I mean. And in the case of games of the type like run on PS Mobile, I just hope that that PS Mobile Runtime Package (like on Vita) or something similar is available on PS4.

Having a huge publication process for games on discs for PS4 might be a necessity. But in the case of small, bite-sized and budget games, I think Android has shown that the stringent publication process just hinders content delivery.

But i did not complain about slow installs,did you read my post.? Because another member also reply with the same talking about transparent install but i wasn't arguing that,in fact install don't bother me at all even when they don't allow me to play while the install take place.

I complained about a 500GB HDD because the xbox next will use blu-ray and installing all games mandatory,means a ton of space taken,blu-ray is 50GB,not all games on launch will reach that,but some will do and moving on will be worst,it takes less than 9 games to fill a 500GB disc,since they claim full install and not partial that will be a problem.

Both Sony and Microsoft are going to have mandatory game installs. For any significant increase in next gen visuals you are also going to have an increase in the size of game assets. Optical drives won't be able to feed data fast enough to avoid incredibly long level load times. You won't even be able to feasibly stream game data from optical drives.

You forgot the part of free gaming on google,tons of games are free,i have play games on android that would probably cost $15 or more on live or PSN.

In fact there is even online FPS free to play..

Not only that MS will attach a dollar sign to basically any game,on Android and Ios most casual games are free.

I don't know about beating sony in app ecosystem Sony can run most of today's apps as well.

MS will have free apps available as well if we assume that they include access to the MS app. store which is highly likely.

And Sony can run most of today's apps IF they include Android in Orbis. Otherwise, they'll have to hope app. developers recompile their games (fixing any bugs that might come up, etc.) in order to run on the device.

The problem with yours if that you think Durango will be exactly like Windows RT/Windows 8,online play is free on windows but is not on xbox.

You are actually asking me why would MS have a problem with free games,MS actually blocked 3rd parties from releasing free content on xbox live,everything has to go through them.

I don't think sony will use Android or allow it for the same reason money.

Um, you do realize that Microsoft, Apple, and Google all make money off those "free" apps. right? Hence there is no reason for Microsoft to not permit free apps on Durango.

In fact, if you actually thought about it, Microsoft would VERY much desire to have as many free apps on Durango as possible. Considering they are competing against Google for Ad revenue, free games are one the best avenues to increase your share of online Ad revenue.

Regards,
SB

there're other "insiders" that are saying the same thing, those are the oldest specs and now the two machine going to be final, are a lot, not a bit, different from those

will be laughable if in the end durango is a Mars+ 2 Venus machine and we wasted 400+ pages of discussions for nothing

But you don't see the point- DaE himself is the source of those very same specs he says are fake on twitter. And he confirmed these specs are accurate to DF.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back