Matt from Ign explains his thoughts on the Rev specs

Shifty Geezer said:
That's precisely why it's a good idea. Those movements are involuntary; the brain in wanting to control a character on screen is sending motion commands to the muscles as that's the way to affect motion. They are natural. Revmote should hopefully use these natural control methods so instead of having to suppress the arm waving and control the game with the skills of small thumb movements, the arm waving is allowed to work naturally and control the game.

From an ergonomics point of view it definitely makes sense. The major hurdle I see is developers understanding how to use it, which might mean having to give up longh-held traditions of computer games.

But wouldn't a lot of processing power go directly to that natural animation that you were talking about? I'm just curious to see how all of this will work out. I personally think Nintendo will have the biggest surprises at E3 this year.

Yes, I'd have thought so. You probably wouldn't need too much on an IK skeleton based main character if the poly-counts are low. If you take a simple ragdoll, which a 266 MHz K6 can handle 2 of at 60 fps (from experience), it shouldn't take much to IK from the hand position and from that adjust the rest of the body, but to make it more realistic you'd want to add something like Euphoria to adjust the feet and body to compensate for weight shifts. Responses to hits would of course benefit from fancy phsyics based animation, but Rev should be alright managing user input okay with current-gen (mocapped) responses.

I agree it your last post but

Shifty Geezer said:
but Rev should be alright managing user input okay with current-gen (mocapped) responses.

Wouldnt that be to limited, I mean you can do anything inside that there is every sword fighting technic ever made (and many times probably many very bad executed) along with many new ones that after go to mass market.

This is he porpose of the controler amd as far as I can see it is impossible for a (pure?) mocapped would not be able to do that defeating the porpose of the remote, IMO if Rev didnt do this then is not much diferent of the others in many case (many of them the most interesting ones IMO) giving much less reasons to buy the Rev.

much on an IK skeleton based main character if the poly-counts are low.

How much low polys, less than GC levels? Is that enought so the above situations can be done without limitations (I dont care with the if it is very realistic or not, just enought)?

pc999 said:
Wouldnt that be to limited, I mean you can do anything inside that there is every sword fighting technic ever made (and many times probably many very bad executed) along with many new ones that after go to mass market.
Sorry, i phrased that badly. I was thinking the physics based animation would be on the player character only, and the responses with the NPCs would be normal mocapped anims. That is when you hit them with your Warhammer, they don't react physically correct but go through Death-Animation-Sequence-4, whereas the player character swings the hammer realistically with an IK animation.

Back