News & Rumors: Xbox One (codename Durango)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Beating Sony would mean they have to dominate the american market to make up for Europe and Japan, and that is very unrealistic with how well Ps4 performs in the american market right now. I think they just have to focus on supporting X1 and produce good games to keep the interest high + increase the player base and try not repeating the E3 2013 blunder for the next Xbox.

Agreed. I think they've made big strides. I'm sure at the beginning of the gen, their definition of success would have been maintaining or expanding their market share. That can't happen anymore, but they can still have a financially successful product and a good product for consumers. As long as they focus on making good games and good software, I think they can win some people over.

Nice interview with Phil Spencer at the 2015 GeekWire Summit about their past, where they sit now & how he doesn't know if they can beat Sony. Kinda somber.

I don't think it's somber. He's just not going that way because he knows the difference in consumer base is still huge and growing.
He's focused on making the XBone a good profitable platform with good games and showing the team cares about their consumers.
He's not focusing on the PS4 competition because it should never be about that. He's worried about making his platform great. That's the best thing he could ever be doing, either he was winning or not.

BTW great interview. I like XBox a lot more right now.

Nice interview with Phil Spencer at the 2015 GeekWire Summit about their past, where they sit now & how he doesn't know if they can beat Sony. Kinda somber.

http://www.videogamer.com/news/spencer_i_dont_know_if_xbox_one_can_beat_ps4.html

Tommy McClain

Very nice interview. Very humble and very realistic. It also sounds like morale in the Xbox group is far higher now than where it was after launch. And that's something Phil Spencer should rightfully be proud of. It would have been very easy to mismanage that (especially with the following Nokia layoffs and uncertainty about Xbox's future in the new Microsoft power structer) and have it spiral out of control.

One thing I found very interesting wasn't something directly related to Xbox but to Minecraft. The "interviews" with the children. What was shown was just a small sampling of the children that Geekwire talked to.

But it was interesting that they all thought extremely highly of Microsoft and by association the Xbox One just due to the ownship of Minecraft and more importantly how they perceived Microsoft treating and further developing Minecraft.

And then I thought it was very good that Phil Spencer took the time to say that the success of Minecraft isn't possible without the community contributions of Mod authors. The fact that he stresses that very strongly indicates that as long as Microsoft doesn't lose sight of that, then Minecraft should be in good hands. And I think that resonates with the people, especially children, that play Minecraft even if it's on a subconscious level.

They've absolutely lost this generation unless a miracle happens. But the mindshare they are able to grow in children could potentially be very beneficial in the future. I mean just think of the following...

Those children thought more highly of a Microsoft console then they did of a Nintendo console.

And unlike say growing up with a Nintendo console, at any point in your life, Microsoft has a product for you.

Regards,
SB

On the latest NXOE my display setup had somehow reverted to 720p. I had to go to Settings, Display & Sound, Video Output, and set "TV Resolution" to 1080p. I suggest everyone ensure their setup is still set as you expect it to be.

I don't know when it had switched, maybe it was within the last day or two. It seemed to be fine after my initial update to NXOE. Of course I didn't catch this until after i submitted a report about the Friends Twist being clipped on the left hand side.

I wish there was a way to see your submitted feedback and do a follow up report.

YMMV: Xbox One sans-Kinect for $299.97 @ Costco. Looks like it doesn't come with a game.

e1j6UMt.jpg

Source

Tommy McClain

New update for the preview OS. Seems a little faster still. Haven't messed around much to find the differences. Patch notes aren't up yet on the preview forum.

Here are the official details on the latest update...

DETAILS

OS version released: th2_xbox_rel_1510.151011-2132
Available: 6:00PM PDT 10/13 (2AM GMT 10/14)

FIXES

• Screen Dimming: Fixes for screen dimming issues are in this build
  • Media App no longer freezing: Media Titles such as Hulu, Netflix that were experiencing video stuttering and stopping have been resolved.
  • Browser: You should now experience significantly fewer crashes when using the Edge browser.Please help us test this fix by exploring your favorite websites! (such as cnn.com, yogaglo.com, kotaku.com, dailymail.co.uk, facebook.com, twitter.com, etc...)
  • Live TV:
    • Cable/Satellite set top box compatibility should now be more comparable to the current Xbox One Experience. Please continue to report video playback and audio issues using Report a problem to help us improve the experience.
    • Dolby Digital surround should now function with Live TV
    • Favoriting is now supported for App channels.
    • The “Xbox Snap TV” voice command should now function correctly.
    • When resuming from connected standby the Xbox One media remote should no longer fail to send commands.
    • You should now be able to use voice commands to navigate in Live TV.
  • Controller Firmware Update: A new controller firmware update is available. Please navigate to Settings > Devices & accessories to download the update.
  • Console Boot: This build contains a fix to address issues with encountering a black screen shortly after the console boots up.
  • My Games & Apps: For users in China and Korea, My games & apps should no longer launch to a black screen and fail to start.
  • Home Screen: The tiles on the Home screen should no longer flicker when a disc based game is installing.

It's getting better. The Community tab is full of details now. They also made a few changes to the way Snap works. You can more easily switch between your main app & snapped app, but it's still not faster than on the old dash. Also they reduced the recent apps from 4 to 3. Grrr

Tommy McClain

I noticed the video clips in the community feed section still has issues, such as sometimes only playing 2-3 seconds or showing green window with no video clip.

Here are the issues I will keep reporting until they fix em, nothing major but could make things nicer.

1. No quick menu in the "Sign In" meld of your profile on the left quick snap area to toggle between "Appear Offline" and "Appear Online". You need to go to "My Profile" and then toggle it there. It would be nice if they could place the toggle at the same spot they show "My Profile", "My Achievements", "Sign Out".
2. Every time you open "My Profile" it does not show the correct status of "Appearing Offline" / "Appearing Online". It always defaults to "Appearing Online" regardless of really being in "Appear Offline" mode.
3. When resuming from sleep, if you have TV set as default application, it does not always resume in fullscreen mode, sometimes it resumes into the "xbox go home" mode.

Latest NXOE update breaks the "Xbox Show Guide" when watching TV. It brings up the side snap center instead of showing the tv guide. Very frustrating bug.

Dell's black friday ad leaked from gaf and it's a doozy of a Xbox deal

CRxUI8JUAAIw8F7.jpg

That's crazy, wonder if they even have enough to last two minutes at that price...

Last edited:
I wonder if the Fallout 4 bundles will come with the Fallout controller.

2952718-etc-controller-fo-vaultboy-angle.jpg

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2...-its-own-limited-edition-fallout-4-controller
"The extra button near the right analogue stick is used to adjust chat options for the headset."

...apparently.

Seems kind of an oversight not to have such a thing for a new SKU revision considering they've already done a revision + Elite design. :s

Oh shit, look at the dpad and you can see all of the headset adapter controls on it. Pretty cool. I guess you press the button and you can use the dpad to adjust everything on the fly. But no mute? Wtf.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back