News & Rumors: Xbox One (codename Durango)

Status
Not open for further replies.
So, it's that time of year and with all the sales and whatnot I was thinking about another XB1, but in doing so it just chaps my ass that I can't install all these digital games to a NAS so that the other hypothetical XB1 could access everything I've got without having to redownload them.

I mean, really. Right now, everything is installed on a 2TB external USB drive. I know that USB3.0 is theoretically 5 times faster than wired ethernet, but is that speed difference being taken advantage of? USB2.0 was only half of wired ethernet and isn't that really the requirement for the XB1? I guess my point is that transfer speeds shouldn't be an issue, the only issue would be that there's not enough demand for it.

Does anybody belong to any other tech sites where people might be trying to work on something like this? I would think there'd be enough techies out there that somebody would have made some attempts, but I can't find any.

Nas is file level access, the console will want block level access atm so a san, you would need something running driver wise on the console to hook it up so probably out the question right about now.

Black Friday digital sale!

Hot Games. Exclusive Deals. No Lines. Xbox Live Gold members will get early access to deals of up to 40-60% off and save up to 10% more for being Gold from November 20-23.

Sale starts November 24th for everyone. Go Gold for $1 to get early access. 150+ games on sale!

the xbox games on Windows Store also got discounted to 10 cent :D

too bad Xbox did not available in my region. need to make fake region account that accept credit card without pre-filled country (the US region is pre filled with United States)

https://mobile.twitter.com/Donzanoid/status/662667308247085056

One of many features I added to UE4 for a client. Not tessellation :) Runs on XB1. All frequencies. Used everywhere!

A new texture technique better than POM and not tesselation use on an Xbox One Unreal Engine 4 title (Fable Legend or Gears of War 4). It is a texture no flickering in distance usable on high frequency material and use in every texture.

CTJEZ5rUAAEBTmt.png

He doesn't say that its an xb1 exclusive game, only that this was run on an xb1. The question is, when/will it be a standard feature for UE4? This could be a stand apart feature for Epic, at least until everyone imitates it....:)

Spoiler from Cyan's link above: Spencer says there will be another Xbox

As televisions, computers, and smart devices become the all-in-one-devices that seek to displace consoles, does Xbox just become an app or a storefront or a brand?

"No," Spencer says, "I fully expect that you’ll see another console from us […] Our best customers are Xbox console customers, and I want to keep those people engaged both on the Xbox One and anything we might do in the future. I’m 100 percent committed to that."

"I don’t want to dilute what the Xbox console customer feels," says Spencer. "I want to expand what we’re able to do for more customers."

Spoiler from Cyan's link above: Spencer says there will be another Xbox
"I fully expect." Plans change. Same can be said of a new PlayStation as well - we can't be absoutely certain there'll be a new console. However, in MS's case there's reason to think a new conventional console may be considered a bad prospect in a few years' time and management will decide against it. In contrast, PS is a major tentpole for Sony so they'll almost certainly release a new console.

I still wouldn't rule out a Windows PC with an XBox badge, even if the Windows PC side is buried and inaccessible.

Indeed. I enjoy my time with Xbox. But when next generation rolls around I will be PC. There's just no reason to be console based by that time unless the price point is your determining factor.

In 5 years time MS should have successfully blurred the lines between their PC and Console offering.

"I fully expect." Plans change. Same can be said of a new PlayStation as well - we can't be absoutely certain there'll be a new console. However, in MS's case there's reason to think a new conventional console may be considered a bad prospect in a few years' time and management will decide against it. In contrast, PS is a major tentpole for Sony so they'll almost certainly release a new console.

I still wouldn't rule out a Windows PC with an XBox badge, even if the Windows PC side is buried and inaccessible.
I think the next Xbox is going to be a very different machine. Tbh, I don't expect a traditional console either (nor the most powerful device, I guess). I think it is going to be a tablet like console you can carry around, because processing is becoming smaller and more powerful by the minute /just think of the Intel Compute Stick or the iBall Splendo, which are PCs lipstick size, imagine the things you can do with a console in the future of a decent size, say tablet/.

It will probably have a PC compatible layer where you can play PC games, maybe? I think it is going to be a Surface Xbox, and it will accept keyboard and mouse.

I'm not sure that I agree with all of this Xbox 4 will be a PC talk; don't people that want a PC for gaming buy a PC for gaming?

Hypothetically speaking, if Microsoft release an underpowered (as Cyan suggests) PC and call it an Xbox, will people really flock to that? I can't say they did for the Xbox One when it was being sold as a multimedia device, so I don't imagine it will be here either.

I understand the need to try and harmonise your products into the same environment, though I don't think consoles should be pushed in a direction that doesn't suit them. The last thing I need is work colleagues messaging me while I'm playing Halo deathmatch on Xbox.

If Microsoft want me to buy their next console it won't be because it has word processing capabilities, if anything that'll put me off buying it. Can you imagine another Microsoft reveal of the next Xbox and instead of showing TVTVsports, they're showing ExcelOutlookWord? I seriously doubt anyone will be praising its ability to have 100s of fonts preinstalled and that you can plug in a keyborard and mouse...

Surely anyone buying a console buys it for games first and everything else second? I would have thought this was known fact by now.

I'm not sure that I agree with all of this Xbox 4 will be a PC talk; don't people that want a PC for gaming buy a PC for gaming?
Because a lot of us want a PC without having Windows, i.e. an entirely controller-centric UI where you never have to connect a keyboard or mouse unless you want too. It's well within grasp :yep2:

And to clarify it's not that we don't want the Windows OS, it's that we don't want the Windows UI or it's reliance on a keyboard and mouse.

Surely anyone buying a console buys it for games first and everything else second? I would have thought this was known fact by now.
For my purposes its gaming convenience - i.e. the form factor (hence location) and operation is much better for just sitting down comfortably and playing games with little fuss.

If there was a line to be blurred between PC and Console, I would think of it as the other way around - i.e. a Console that may also operate as a PC. A "Console first" mentality would put form factor (hence component selection/design) and the booted OS presentation down a specific path. This mentality is already present with Windows 10 Mobile - the presentation is SmartPhone first, but with continuum it can also operate as a desktop PC.

For my purposes its gaming convenience - i.e. the form factor (hence location) and operation is much better for just sitting down comfortably and playing games with little fuss.
Yes. We want the operation of a console, but the backwards/forwards compatibility of a PC. Just imagine if PlayStation 5 let you play TLoU in 4k improved quality without you having to buy the game for a third time. I say this learning PS3 had software PS2 BC but Sony wanted to charge me again for games, and now they're doing the same with PS4's BC. PC offers the software flexibility; just needs the console experience.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back