News & Rumors: Xbox One (codename Durango)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why do you want some exclusives to remain platform exclusive rather than be extended to PC?

Yah, I don't get it either. If you buy it out of the Microsoft store, or on a Microsoft published disc, why would they care where you played it? Windows 10 is effectively going to turn Xbox into one market, whether it's played on PC or on the Xbox console. PC gamers using Xbox Live Gold, or buying things through the Xbox Store are not poaching consumers from the console. It's the same business.

I never said that! Do you think Sony is going to release Uncharted or God of war on PC? Some PS owners want Ms to release all their exclusives on PC so they don't have to buy a console they don't like in the first place. People buy consoles because of simplicity, but exclusives go along way as well. If it wasn't for the Ps3 exclusives released then Sony might not have made a comeback last gen. Universal apps doesn't mean all X1 exclusives will release day and date on Pc unless Ms are fools. I am not condemning people playing X1 exclusives. They can buy a Xbox One if they want to play them just like with the Ps3 and Ps4.
that's great for Microsoft because then when they need good hardware to play Halo 5 and the other exclusives they will then say to themselves well the new COD looks nice should I get it on my ps4 or wait my pc has better hardware and can play it at a higher res and framerate so why don't I just buy it on the xbox store.

THen in 4 or 5 years when the xbox next launches that same person will say hey I have a bunch of games that work on that xbox next and they are all rendering at higher resolutions so why don't I buy that since its now better than my pc I go to play halo 5 . Then a few years after that inbetween console cycles they may have again a more powerful pc and they keep leap froging it.

I never said that! Do you think Sony is going to release Uncharted or God of war on PC? Some PS owners want Ms to release all their exclusives on PC so they don't have to buy a console they don't like in the first place. .

Who cares what some PS owners want? How is it a preferable situation for them to not buy an Xbox and not play MS exclusives than it is for them to buy the MS exclusive through Live and play on their PC/Tablet/whatever?

Your post smacks of "If we can't play their exclusives without buying their console, they shouldn't be able to play ours without buying our console.", and that's silly.

Who cares what some PS owners want? How is it a preferable situation for them to not buy an Xbox and not play MS exclusives than it is for them to buy the MS exclusive through Live and play on their PC/Tablet/whatever?

Your post smacks of "If we can't play their exclusives without buying their console, they shouldn't be able to play ours without buying our console.", and that's silly.
It is silly to you. Call me old fashioned, but I actually like console exclusives. I don't think it is a good idea to not have any exclusives on a console you are trying to sell. If they release Halo 5, Gears4, and Forza 6 on PC at the same time as Xbox One (which I highly doubt they will) then they take away all incentive for PC owners to buy a Xbox one during the holiday season or even at all. Now I am sure that sounds great to PC only gamers or Ps4 and PC gamers, but to Xbox gamers or Xbox/PC/ps4 gamers that is terrible. It would be a waste in owning a Xbox one.
Go ahead and attack me for thinking the age old act of exclusive console games is a good thing. I am not proposing something radical with my statements. I am all for Xbox/PC crossplay as well as streaming Xbox games to your PC and streaming PC games to your Xbox one, but permanently abolishing console exclusives on the Xbox One is not a good thing in my eyes. I wouldn't want it to happen to the PlayStation 4 either.

that's great for Microsoft because then when they need good hardware to play Halo 5 and the other exclusives they will then say to themselves well the new COD looks nice should I get it on my ps4 or wait my pc has better hardware and can play it at a higher res and framerate so why don't I just buy it on the xbox store.

THen in 4 or 5 years when the xbox next launches that same person will say hey I have a bunch of games that work on that xbox next and they are all rendering at higher resolutions so why don't I buy that since its now better than my pc I go to play halo 5 . Then a few years after that inbetween console cycles they may have again a more powerful pc and they keep leap froging it.
All that is true, but who is gonna buy an Xbox next when they can play all the halos and gears and forzas on the PC they just built. You can't really have it both ways. If they completely stop console exclusives on the Xbox consoles it will be a death sentence.

Why do you want some exclusives to remain platform exclusive rather than be extended to PC?
What is the point of a console at all if you can get everything on your PC? There is no point. Would anyone buy Nintendo hardware if you could play all the latest Zelda, Mario, Metroid games on their PC they already have at home?
I don't really see Ms getting rid of Xbox exclusives anyway. I know some sites reported the Phil Spencer hinted this would happen, but it has in no way been confirmed by anyone. In fact Arron Greenberg was asked about the subject and said it wasn't true on twitter. So why don't we wait for some sort of confirmation?

Why do you hope that PC gamers have to wait years to play certain games? I've never understood a gamer's desire that other gamers can't play something.

edit: typo.
Why? With the Xbox App and Xbox Store on PC, the PC and the Xbox are effectively the same market.
Yah, I don't get it either. If you buy it out of the Microsoft store, or on a Microsoft published disc, why would they care where you played it? Windows 10 is effectively going to turn Xbox into one market, whether it's played on PC or on the Xbox console. PC gamers using Xbox Live Gold, or buying things through the Xbox Store are not poaching consumers from the console. It's the same business.

You realise MS would kill the Xbox if they do that, right?

All that is true, but who is gonna buy an Xbox next when they can play all the halos and gears and forzas on the PC they just built. You can't really have it both ways. If they completely stop console exclusives on the Xbox consoles it will be a death sentence.

I wasn't aware that pc's last for years. within 3 years I need to upgrade at least the graphics card to keep playing at the same resolution and frame rate I enjoy. For those on laptops or tablets they may not want to dump money into another expensive laptop or tablet at that point and a $300-$400 newly launched console can fit that bill.

Xbox wont go anywhere because it offers an experience right now that you can't get on cheaper laptops and pcs and most likely wont be able to for another year or two. Your going to spend 3 times the price of an xbox one to game the same way right now.

That's the beauty. They don't need you to buy the hardware anymore. If you have a capable PC, they get your money anyway. Right now they're making zero money off gaming because everyone buys from Steam. With this, some PC gamers will buy stuff through the Xbox Store and pay for Xbox Live content. People who don't want to spend money on a gaming PC can buy a cheap console, and they'll get your money there.

It is silly to you. Call me old fashioned, but I actually like console exclusives. I don't think it is a good idea to not have any exclusives on a console you are trying to sell. If they release Halo 5, Gears4, and Forza 6 on PC at the same time as Xbox One (which I highly doubt they will) then they take away all incentive for PC owners to buy a Xbox one during the holiday season or even at all. Now I am sure that sounds great to PC only gamers or Ps4 and PC gamers, but to Xbox gamers or Xbox/PC/ps4 gamers that is terrible. It would be a waste in owning a Xbox one..

I find your entire premise rather odd. It seems to me that not only do you believe that PC gamers and Console gamers are the same population (that's not the odd part), but that somehow PC gamers are being forced against their will to purchase consoles because of exclusives.

I tend to believe (and we've had this discussion many times in many different forms), that PC gamers and Console gamers are two different populations with very little overlap. I do not believe that number of sales that are credited to people who would consider themselves "PC gamers" but purchased a console because they were forced to do so in order to play console exclusive titles is in any way significant.

IF MS did what? Made all exclusives cross-buy and cross-platform? Isn't that the very thing they just announced? Why would they kill Xbox? They're still going to do what they did this generation - offer a somewhat capable box that is based upon years-old technology that they can sell at a profit as a gateway to their ecosystem and marketplace for those people who don't want to buy a more capable and expensive PC.

Sure, if everything works according to MS's plan, they'll probably exit the hardware business eventually and that's perfectly fine with me. MS cares about being a service provider and the reason I prefer their platform is because of the quality of the services that they provide.

?

There are lots of people who don't want to buy gaming PCs. There's a lot of room for people who want the conveniences of a console. If it's cheap, they'll buy it. People who want customizable PCs, and the issues that brings, will consume the content there. There's room for both, which is obvious, because there's already Windows gaming and Xbox gaming. Combining services will make both platforms more attractive, not less.

I wasn't aware that pc's last for years. within 3 years I need to upgrade at least the graphics card to keep playing at the same resolution and frame rate I enjoy. For those on laptops or tablets they may not want to dump money into another expensive laptop or tablet at that point and a $300-$400 newly launched console can fit that bill.

Xbox wont go anywhere because it offers an experience right now that you can't get on cheaper laptops and pcs and most likely wont be able to for another year or two. Your going to spend 3 times the price of an xbox one to game the same way right now.
Not right now. A lot of people have PCs that out power both consoles right now and low mid and hardware can be bought extremely cheap. You guys are wanting some sort of Steam machine situation out of windows10/Xbox, but that modle hasn't been proven successful yet. Say what you will. You are entitled to your opinion, but this would kill the Xbox One and be worse than any 24hr check in always online fiasco. Any of you forum members that have a gaming PC as well as a WiiU or Ps4 really going to ever buy a Xbox One if you can play Halo 5 and Gears on your PC? Hell No. That is the issue. Turning the Xbox One into some sort of steam box is such a risky idea.

Last edited:
?

There are lots of people who don't want to buy gaming PCs. There's a lot of room for people who want the conveniences of a console. If it's cheap, they'll buy it. People who want customizable PCs, and the issues that brings, will consume the content there. There's room for both, which is obvious, because there's already Windows gaming and Xbox gaming. Combining services will make both platforms more attractive, not less.
There is no way you know that this will be successful. There are a lot of gamers that play on anything they can buy and already own a PC, WiiU, Ps4 and Xbox One. They would feel like they bought a Xbox One for no reason. If Ms do this they will be handing the console market to Sony and Nintendo. Who would be the only ones offering unique content you can't get anywhere else. Your evaluation under estimates a large part of the gaming market that already games on PC as well as consoles. Not to mention the amount of people who would find more value in a $600 PC that can play every Xbox one exclusive as well as provide them with the ability to do countless other tasks that will never be available on a console.

So what if those people don't buy an Xbox One? If they have to buy the a Microsoft published game through the Xbox Store in Windows 10, Microsoft is still making the same money. It's not like Microsoft is selling the Xbox One hardware at a huge profit.

If you're right, and a lot of people already have capable gaming PCs, or can afford to buy decent low to mid range gaming PCs, Xbox One and PS4 will only face increased pressure from PC with Directx12 and Vulcan. If all of those people can get good gaming performance out of their PCs, the market left from people who'd buy a console just to play a small number of exclusives probably isn't a viable business.

There is no way you know that this will be successful. There are a lot of gamers that play on anything they can buy and already own a PC, WiiU, Ps4 and Xbox One. They would feel like they bought a Xbox One for no reason. If Ms do this they will be handing the console market to Sony and Nintendo. Who would be the only ones offering unique content you can't get anywhere else. Your evaluation under estimates a large part of the gaming market that already games on PC as well as consoles. Not to mention the amount of people who would find more value in a $600 PC that can play every Xbox one exclusive as well as provide them with the ability to do countless other tasks that will never be available on a console.

All of those people buying Windows 10 and Xbox content through the Windows Store. Poor Microsoft.

IF MS did what? Made all exclusives cross-buy and cross-platform? Isn't that the very thing they just announced?
No they never announced this at all. The only thing they announcedbwas Fable Legends would be cross platform. Some websites posting GDC new said Phil hinted at this subject, but provided no quote. Ms has released no such statement.

I guess the disconnect here, (at least from my perspective), is this: Why does anybody want people to buy an Xbox?

The only reasons I have for wanting anyone else to buy an Xbox is 1) I know them and want them to be on the same platform so we can interact and have shared experiences or 2) I don't know them but I need enough "random others" to buy Xbox so that the platform is financially viable and MS will continue to support it.

As long as both #1 and #2 are satisfied, I don't care really care about the means to that end.

So, Shredenvain - why do you care so much if people do or do not buy an Xbox?

All of those people buying Windows 10 and Xbox content through the Windows Store. Poor Microsoft.
OK it isn't about the health of the entire Ms company. It is about the Xbox One. Do you own a Xbox One Scott? Do you own a PC with a decent CPU and GPU? You might not, but if you do then you wouldn't feel like you wasted your money buying a Xbox One for gaming when in a few months you won't need the Xbox to play Halo 5?
Also slightly different topic, but do you think Ms is going to let people play PC titles natively on their Xbox one? I doubt it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back