News & Rumors: Xbox One (codename Durango)

Status
Not open for further replies.
guys, MS just announced crossplay and crussBUY PC x X1.

if they do make all 1st party crossbyuy and crossplay, wont it hurt x1 as it was discussed a few pages back? O_O

if they do make all 1st party crossbyuy and crossplay, wont it hurt x1 as it was discussed a few pages back? O_O
If MS only cares about being a services company, no it wouldn't matter. Hardware is just a gateway, they want people to purchase games from Xbox Live, not from Steam.

No. That's setting themselves up for forward compatability with an xbox two, being the same xbox one software platform but with improved specifications on the hardware.

No. That's setting themselves up for forward compatability with an xbox two, being the same xbox one software platform but with improved specifications on the hardware.
That would allow for a shorter life cycle that's for sure, didn't consider this as a possibility.

The future of Xbox is basically a cheap custom Microsoft PC for consuming media, and cross platform everything. Whether you're using Windows on a PC, a laptop, tablet or console, you're consuming their content and spending money on their content and services. The Xbox will be the affordable barrier for entry and the stable, uncomplicated gaming device for general consumers.

The future of Xbox is basically a cheap custom Microsoft PC for consuming media, and cross platform everything. Whether you're using Windows on a PC, a laptop, tablet or console, you're consuming their content and spending money on their content and services. The Xbox will be the affordable barrier for entry and the stable, uncomplicated gaming device for general consumers.

For it's price point at $350 and power output, it's hard to make a device that will be able to compete; both consoles have impressive output for their price points.

XO supports keyboards, so, there might be a method to abuse the universal app store and load up Word or something and get typing on a monitor.

And something the GAF members have caught onto and I'm ashamed that I haven't is that Asia is a massive market that is mainly PC. They don't really use consoles there. i.e. look at Korea and China. So if they don't want Xbox that's fine, get them into Xbox Live ecosystem and make money that way.

This post nails it:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=154616455&postcount=509

So far we've seen their plan come to fruition. It does look like going forward it's a cloud based strategy if this leaked document is anything to go by.

Last edited:
Well I for one hope they keep some 1st party games exclusive to the Xbox one.
Like Halos, Gears, Scalebound and Quantum Break. At least for a year or so.

Well I for one hope they keep some 1st party games exclusive to the Xbox one.
Like Halos, Gears, Scalebound and Quantum Break. At least for a year or so.
Hmmm, that's a tricky subject. I'd also want an Age of Empires and Age of Mythology game for the Xbox One.

For it's price point at $350 and power output, it's hard to make a device that will be able to compete; both consoles have impressive output for their price points.

XO supports keyboards, so, there might be a method to abuse the universal app store and load up Word or something and get typing on a monitor.

And something the GAF members have caught onto and I'm ashamed that I haven't is that Asia is a massive market that is mainly PC. They don't really use consoles there. i.e. look at Korea and China. So if they don't want Xbox that's fine, get them into Xbox Live ecosystem and make money that way.

This post nails it:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=154616455&postcount=509

So far we've seen their plan come to fruition. It does look like going forward it's a cloud based strategy if this leaked document is anything to go by.

No, what I'm saying is, you'll be able to get the same experience you'd get on Xbox on the PC, but the Xbox will continue as a console and be the affordable, stable option for people who can't afford PCs. The console will be a $300 PC in a box (which is what Xbox One is now that it's x86), and people who want a more premium experience can use their PCs or whatever. I didn't mean to imply that the actual console would be gone and people would be building their own cheap PCs as Xboxs.

No, what I'm saying is, you'll be able to get the same experience you'd get on Xbox on the PC, but the Xbox will continue as a console and be the affordable, stable option for people who can't afford PCs. The console will be a $300 PC in a box (which is what Xbox One is now that it's x86), and people who want a more premium experience can use their PCs or whatever. I didn't mean to imply that the actual console would be gone and people would be building their own cheap PCs as Xboxs.
Right, sorry I read your post wrong. This is also how I see it as well. That and as Brit alluded to, they could turn over the console faster and release a Xbox Two. Phones improve each year and cost nearly 1K and there are people that upgrade phones all the time, definitely much shorter cycles than a console has been. What's $350 dollars again for a beefier console every 2 years, as long as it is backwards compatible it won't really make a difference. Sell your old one, and move to the better one.

Exactly, and I believe that has been their plan all along and they are finally able to get everybody to move together rather than pulling in different directions (divisions trying to protect their own fiefdoms by erecting silos is fairly common in any large organization).

This is certainly good news. It's not the hardware in the entertainment center that I care about. With the exception of the Kinect and the controller, I don't care what is in "the box"
Gweneth Paltrow's head
, what the box looks like, or if there even is a box.

Xbox is pc is xbox. When using office universal app version.

Too bad I suspect ms will not allow xbox running classic Windows app. Having Windows 8 x64 tablet is awesome to have ability to run anything.

Right, sorry I read your post wrong. This is also how I see it as well. That and as Brit alluded to, they could turn over the console faster and release a Xbox Two. Phones improve each year and cost nearly 1K and there are people that upgrade phones all the time, definitely much shorter cycles than a console has been. What's $350 dollars again for a beefier console every 2 years, as long as it is backwards compatible it won't really make a difference. Sell your old one, and move to the better one.
One difference is the volumes. Smartphones globally shipped over a billion units in the last year. This is split up among a lot of different brands, but the volumes allow design costs to be amortized over a much wider base than the consoles can offer.
http://www.statista.com/statistics/272696/mobile-phone-shipments-worldwide-by-quarter/
The mobile market is also changing and meaningful updates are potentially slowing. Cheaper designs are starting to hit good-enough status, and a lot of the low-hanging fruit that was available when the baseline was very primitive has been snapped up.

I haven't seen this posted but Eurogamer reported earlier that Phil Harrison is leaving Microsoft after three years. This is news to me but Eurogamer's article states:

In Mattrick's absence, Phil Spencer was promoted to the head of Xbox, and GamesIndustry.biz's report suggests Harrison was frustrated at not being offered a promotion himself.

Right now it appears that ID is going to be involved in the selection process, at least for some length of time. Maybe after that they move over to how it works on Win Apps now? So for now they ensure high quality titles make it to both stores (crossbuy stuff anyway), after some level has been reached they open it up to more developers (think XNA/Phone/current Win Apps).

I wonder if any Steam parity clause will exist, guess we shall find out soon.

Xbox is pc is xbox. When using office universal app version.

Too bad I suspect ms will not allow xbox running classic Windows app. Having Windows 8 x64 tablet is awesome to have ability to run anything.

Or you pull an eastman and put it elsewhere in the house. ;)

Shhhh , the snow here in jersey has stoped me from building new rooms in which to put xboxs into !

The lack of media center extender really hurts my need for more than two xbox ones in the house. If it had media extender I would dump the old xbox 360s just for wireless n capability

Why do you hope that PC gamers have to wait years to play certain games? I've never understood a gamer's desire that other gamers can't play something.

edit: typo.
I never said that! Do you think Sony is going to release Uncharted or God of war on PC? Some PS owners want Ms to release all their exclusives on PC so they don't have to buy a console they don't like in the first place. People buy consoles because of simplicity, but exclusives go along way as well. If it wasn't for the Ps3 exclusives released then Sony might not have made a comeback last gen. Universal apps doesn't mean all X1 exclusives will release day and date on Pc unless Ms are fools. I am not condemning people playing X1 exclusives. They can buy a Xbox One if they want to play them just like with the Ps3 and Ps4.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back