News & Rumors: Xbox One (codename Durango)

Status
Not open for further replies.
MS should still see a gain with the sram buitl into the die , any shrink is going to help them. With so few fighting for 20nm it should be a simple jump for them and it sounds like 16nm fifet wont be ready till 2016 at this point for the consoles. So they can head into the fall 2015 with a revised 20nm chip , get better yields and thermals if nothing else and of course lower costs through out

Mobile is clogging up the 20nm fabs though right?

Wccftech editor (that wrote recent article on TSMC 20nm vs 16nm)replied to me on this subject:

https://twitter.com/usmanpirzada/status/565447258905518081

No confirmed report on 20nm APUs for Xbox/PS4 so far. Although anything goes, I wouldn't hold my breath for it. contd.

AMD will most probably skip to FinFETs. 20nm APUs wont be that much better than 28nm anyways (die shrink vs mature process).

I think X1/PS4 will be stuck at 28nm until at least Fall '16 and then skip to 16nm FinFet.

20nm what tho ? GF has a 20nm process and it should be better than what the chips are on now and 20nm from tsmc.

Microsoft getting a drop on the apu would of course reduce the cost of its highest priced component and reduce the cost of the cooling setup and the weight of the console for shipping. So there would be a lot of savings right there.

Xbox One is getting slingtv!

http://news.xbox.com/2015/01/ent-sling-tv-coming-to-xbox-one

If you dont know slingtv is literally what I've been waiting like a decade for, exactly. It's $20 a month to stream a limited number of live cable Tv channels, most notably and importantly for me a sports fan, including ESPN and ESPN2.

Our vision at Xbox is to bring your games and entertainment together. Important to that vision is our focus on partnering with television providers and content distributors to deliver rich, differentiated TV and video experiences. Today, we’re pleased to share the news of a relationship with the newly announced Sling TV, which is backed by DISH. Sling TV is an over-the-top, television service that will deliver live sports, lifestyle, family, news and information channels, Video-On-Demand (VOD) entertainment, and the best of Internet video for $20 per month. With Sling TV, there’s no commitment, contract, credit check, hardware installation, or hidden fees. Confirmed channels include ESPN, ESPN2, TNT, TBS, Food Network, HGTV, Cartoon Network, and Disney Channel with more to come. And Xbox One will be the exclusive gaming console when it launches in the coming weeks.

About a year ago I finally after years of considering it, canceled my cable (I also have cable internet through the same provider). It cut my bill from $150 to $36. Yeah, one of the best financial moves I've made. I really didn't miss it that much, but if there is any channels I did watch, 90% of it was ESPN. Now I can get that back for a low fee and no contract. I believe it is $5 more to watch live football and basketball, but still well worth it.

I dont care too much what platform it's on TBH. Being on Xbox might make it more convenient though, but until then I'd use it on my Roku.

Thought about Sling, but not yet enough channels that the family watches. Have to see if they add any or create more add-on channel packages. I really need streaming F1 before I can fully cancel cable, until then I will keep preaching for Media Center. LOL

Thought about Sling, but not yet enough channels that the family watches. Have to see if they add any or create more add-on channel packages. I really need streaming F1 before I can fully cancel cable, until then I will keep preaching for Media Center. LOL
F1 = Formula 1? Don't they have that streaming in the US? :oops:

F1 = Formula 1? Don't they have that streaming in the US? :oops:
Not the races sadly, just practice sessions that are not broadcast. It would be one app I would not mind to have a monthly fee, for $9.99/month or something I could save $150/month. Haha Come on Bernie/FOM and Phil Spencer, get together and make it happen!

Not the races sadly, just practice sessions that are not broadcast. It would be one app I would not mind to have a monthly fee, for $9.99/month or something I could save $150/month. Haha Come on Bernie/FOM and Phil Spencer, get together and make it happen!
You could, you know, pay for streaming service available in country x and get VPN?

Brad Wardell has said that he prefers the Xbox One.

https://twitter.com/draginol/status/566990384799444994

Need follow through Cyan. I had no idea who he was. But found out he's CEO of Stardock & had a hand in my lovely OS/2. LOL Anyway, he had this post on his blog...

Brad Wardell said:
I don't really have a dog in the console wars. Personally, I think both the new consoles are pretty outstanding from a hardware point of view.

That said, a few uncomfortable truths:
  • The PS4 hardware is better. Significantly. There's no amount of hand waving that make XBO's choice of DDR3 go away.
  • People are too hung up on hardware. Hardware mattered more in the 90s but software is king. All the HW in the world won't make a DirectX 9 game be able to deliver more than 10k batches per frame today.
  • The visual difference between an XBO and a PS4 game are going to ultimately be trivial.
  • DirectX 12 will make a big difference for the XBO in the long run.
  • Sony will almost certainy adopt the next OpenGL spec (or Mantle) which will even the playing field.
  • The graphics stacks on the PS4 and the XBO currently are not very parallel so there's a lot of room to grow.
  • The raw computing power of the XBO and PS4 is about 6 times the previous generation was.
  • The previous generation graphics stack never maximized the use of the hardware or came very close imo.

http://www.littletinyfrogs.com/article/461452/Xbox_One_vs_PS4_thread

He also tweeted this...

@draginol said:
Good YouTube video on the merits of both PS4 and XBO:

Sounds like well balanced info all around. Makes his preference of XB1 over PS4 seem like he's not just some fanboy & may not necessarily have anything to do with DX12 either.

Tommy McClain

This week the Ultimate Game Sale is absolutely amazing! Consoles are catching up when it comes to deals. We will be able to get games with significant cuts, titles such as... Not only Alien Isolation is on sale (60% off) but games like Lords of the Fallen and NBA Live 15 will be 85% off! :oops::oops: [face_shock][face_shock] Sniper Elite III and Angry Birds, will enjoy a reduction of 80 percent. Halo TMCC is 60% off with Gold!

http://www.vg247.com/2015/02/16/xbox-live-ultimate-game-sale-kicks-off-this-week/

• Alien Isolation – 50% off (60% with Gold)
  • Alien Isolation Season Pass – 50% off (60% with Gold)
  • Angry Birds Star Wars – 75% off (80% with Gold)
  • Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare – 33% off (33% with Gold)
  • Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare Digital Pro – 20 % off (25% with Gold)
  • Costume Quest 2 – 60% off (67% with Gold)
  • Destiny – 33% off (33% with Gold)
  • Destiny Digital Guardian Edition – 20% off (25% with Gold)
  • Fantasia: Music Evolved – 40% off (50% with Gold)
  • Forza Motorsport 5 – 33% off (40% with Gold)
  • Halo: Master Chief Collection Bundle – 25% off (60% off with Gold)
  • Killer Instinct Complete Edition – 33% off (40% with Gold)
  • Kinect Sports Rivals – 75% off (80% with Gold)
  • Lara Croft Temple of Osiris and Season Pass – 50% off (60% with Gold)
  • Lara Croft: Temple of Osiris – 50% off (60% with Gold)
  • Lords of the Fallen – 75% off (85% with Gold)
  • Middle Earth: Shadow of Mordor – 33% off (40% with Gold)
  • Monopoly Family Fun Pack – 25% off (33% with Gold)
  • NBA Live 15 – 75% off (85% with Gold)
  • Shadow of Mordor Season Pass – 33% off (40% with Gold)
  • Sniper Elite III – 75% less (80% with Gold)
  • Styx: Master of Shadows – 67% off (75% with Gold)
  • Telltale Games Collection – 40% off (50% with Gold)
  • The Crew – 25% off (33% with Gold)
  • The Crew Gold Edition – 25% off (33% with Gold)
  • Trials Fusion Deluxe Edition – 50% off (60% with Gold)
  • Trials Fusion Season Pass – 60% off (67% with Gold)
  • Walking Dead: Season 1 and 2 Bundle – 50% off (60% with Gold)
  • Watch Dogs – 50% off (60% with Gold)

ultimatesale_XboxCultureCom.jpg

Great timing! I just finished up Dragon Age and got a wad of space bucks for traded in 360 games so it looks like Trials season pass, Sniper Elite and Lords of the Fallen are up next!

I'm surprised at Lara being discounted so soon after release.

Great timing! I just finished up Dragon Age and got a wad of space bucks for traded in 360 games so it looks like Trials season pass, Sniper Elite and Lords of the Fallen are up next!

I'm surprised at Lara being discounted so soon after release.

The isometric tomb raider game is good, but I think the first one might have been better, or maybe I'm just remembering that way because it was unique at the time.

The Verge have an interesting article on Microsoft's plans for universal app support on the Xbox One, which includes apps ability to run in the background. They say the SDK will go into preview in May which apps being available sometime during the Summer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back