News & Rumors: Xbox One (codename Durango)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I highly anticipate that by introducing Xbox Originals and universal apps the paywall will be gone forever, on gaming side they have multiplayer and GwG and on the other side (non-gaming side) they have Xbox Originals and maybe some other features (like OneGuide, which I think shouldn't be behind paywall) and they will have an app store very soon which will make money on its own and even will have some benefits for consumers as well (Windows 8 & WP8 users).

I hope that this is what they are going to do. Removing paywall can help them to show XB1 true potential.

Skype being behind the pay wall is a complete deal breaker for me with regards tot he XB1. If it were free, I'd consider it but until then it's not even on the radar.

The addition of group calls for free is great news though (as a PC owner who doesn't have to pay for Skype access in the first place).

IMO, while they don't talk about "TV! TV! TV!" on the E3 conference and keep focused on games, everything is ok.

Its backwards to me.

Its like an manufacturer stating their new auto is all about speed and performance. But every time they kick off the annual PR events for the new refresh its all leather seats and headroom talk.

From what I read, Ridley Scott is just an executive producer, so it's unlikely he will have anything to do with the film.
Exec producers usually don't do anything, the running gag in Hollywood is that it's a name-drop title.

As long as Chief knows to run perpendicular to the fall of a giant enemy scarab, it's all good.

Spielberg's an exec too, he has like 4 movie projects in various stages of production and who knows what else. Their involvement is still indication of something probably more serious and large scale than even Forward Unto Dawn.

There's a part of me that wouldn't be that shocked if that was being rendered in real-time on an Xbox. The shadows are great with high-quality self-shadowing, but they're only being cast for two objects in a small area for a single light source (despite the set having tons of sources from many directions, which results in a cool but very incorrect look). There's like one dynamic light in the entire clip, and it's not obvious that it's doing anything all that fancy.

But that would be some crazy good sampling on the shadows, and the assets are very high-quality.

I dunno. At the very least you could probably get something looking "sort of close" on Xbox.

robotbig.jpg

Blur Studio is a pretty big 3D Animation player, they did some good work, but nothing at all points at them being able to program anything that resembles a 3D engine.

9oZBkf6.jpg

Whats weird is that there is rumours about the engine running the demo was used in other games(?) that the demo was real time and that it could be user controlled.. when everything i have ever found about that demo simply boiled down to a pre-rendered animation being played.. the joys of the old marketing..

If Sony or Microsoft tried to pull a stunt like this today they would be torn apart..

robotbig.jpg

Blur Studio is a pretty big 3D Animation player, they did some good work, but nothing at all points at them being able to program anything that resembles a 3D engine.

9oZBkf6.jpg

Whats weird is that there is rumours about the engine running the demo was used in other games(?) that the demo was real time and that it could be user controlled.. when everything i have ever found about that demo simply boiled down to a pre-rendered animation being played.. the joys of the old marketing..

If Sony or Microsoft tried to pull a stunt like this today they would be torn apart..

There was a real-time version of the demo shown running on Xbox dev-kits at E3 the same year. Sure it wasn't as good as BLUR's CGI animation but it was still pretty good.

Shots where posted here 10 years ago:
http://forum.beyond3d.com/showthread.php?t=10585

The dancing Robot was promoting the first Xbox, not the 360. I distinctly remember both versions, the obviously CGI one, and the real-time one that quietly appeared later with huge downgrades.

Couple of images of the realtime version, basically everything was cut from the original.
http://www.ign.com/articles/2000/05/25/realtime-demo-screens
Haha, amazing. That looks believable, but not in the way I expected. Instead of any sort of clever compromization, it looks like they just ripped crap out until it could run in real-time.

I was expecting rather polygonal assets with awkwardly undersampled self-shadows (or maybe very selective stencil shadows on just the two bipeds, if the designers were feeling particularly awesome that day). Instead I'm looking at what might still be pretty good assets, and pretty sharp texture-based shadow applied only to the floor, and a really poorly-balanced shading model.

edit: But as Rangers notes below, the date is a bit weird. Now I'm confused.

Last edited by a moderator:
That link is from May 2000. Xbox came out in November 2001? I guess they gave people plenty of time to see the real time version to say the least (hard to believe they were releasing media 1.5 years out though, so, something is weird).

If you read around this is a classic case of perfect marketing. The target pre-render is the version that can be found and is discussed as being the real deal. Afaik the rendered was considered real time by many people, which can also be seen in this thread.
I think it was the mgs2 demo on ps2 that was the other way around introduced to big fanfare, not believed to be real time until they moved the camera around..

Thank God the skepticism was there with the kill zone target render on the ps3.

it's weird, now YouTube and lowres screenshots isn't able to show the great graphic fidelity of games like ryse and infamous :)

As long as Chief knows to run perpendicular to the fall of a giant enemy scarab, it's all good.

This. I have lost count of all of the movies in which folks run DOWN the the obvious line of a falling large towering objects or it's cousin running in a straight line as a car is chasing your from behind. Besides sticking your face next to the nearest creepy alien things one can find it's one of the biggest lapses in logic that happens.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back