News & Rumors: Xbox One (codename Durango)

Status
Not open for further replies.
it's weird, now YouTube and lowres screenshots isn't able to show the great graphic fidelity of games like ryse and infamous :)

Cause youtube's bitrate is kinda crud, especially noticeable now that they recently made the "large" video player much bigger. They really need some kind of higher quality streaming, at least as an option. Almost all vids I watch on the large player are pixel-y, no matter if they're on the highest res. Oh well there's Gamersyde to help out I guess.

News, X1 to launch in China this September. More realistic than the previous supposed July date, which had me scratching my head as no other countries were getting it before September. Looks like they have a Chinese partner, which I'm guessing is 100% necessary to try to navigate that market.

http://majornelson.com/2014/04/29/xbox-one-will-launch-in-china-this-september/

XBOX One Dash mockup:

http://kotaku.com/the-xbox-one-dashboard-beautified-1569504146

If XBOX One continue to keep pace with the other "modern UI" themed updates provided by Windows 8.1 Updates and Windows Phone 8.1 then imagined in this mockup isn't far off. I just installed the developer preview of Win Phone 8.1 and particularly like the option of changing the flat colour tiles to transparent tiles with a wallpaper background (that's parallax scrolled); it works rather nicely.

XBOX One Dash mockup:

If XBOX One continue to keep pace with the other "modern UI" themed updates provided by Windows 8.1 Updates and Windows Phone 8.1 then imagined in this mockup isn't far off. I just installed the developer preview of Win Phone 8.1 and particularly like the option of changing the flat colour tiles to transparent tiles with a wallpaper background (that's parallax scrolled); it works rather nicely.

Yup! Eagerly awaiting the update for windows phone.

XBOX One Dash mockup:

I had to completely rearrange my phone to get more transparent tiles, took me days! Not sure it would work on X1, but works really well on the phone.

Which is a bit funny, we went from icons (windows) to squares/tiles (metro), and now we basically have icons again to a degree.

OT, but its very easy to get now. You don't actually have to be a dev to get the developer preview, and its a relatively few clicks and downloads.

Yeah, I saw some vids on youtube, but will just wait until the official release.
Besides the new look, what do you think of the update?

On topic, it shouldn't be too difficult for MS to implement something very similar to the mock up. Hopefully MS is listening and either had something in the works or will consider it for the next update.

Yeah, I saw some vids on youtube, but will just wait until the official release.
Besides the new look, what do you think of the update?

A lot of nice features, but a lot of bugs (some apps, not the system).

On topic: I want my Xbox 360 backgrounds.

XBOX One Dash mockup:

That would be nice for a change, instead of having to deal with the barren UI we have now.

This is the video:

The fact that Major Nelson noticed the video and wanted to share it around is a good thing.

Microsoft are developing a new AAA title from a well-loved strategy game series (Age of Empires? :oops::oops::love:), according to this job offer.

http://www.microsoft-careers.com/jo...osoft-Studios-(876718)-Job-WA-98052/58627500/

I always said dull, flat squares was an eye-sore that had to go! ;) It's surprising how many companies are going that way. Hopefully won't be too long before they all go back to being pretty as well as stylish.

I always said dull, flat squares was an eye-sore that had to go! ;) It's surprising how many companies are going that way. Hopefully won't be too long before they all go back to being pretty as well as stylish.

Disagree! Stay flat! I don't mind the backgrounds though. I can choose something subtle and other people can have their ugly loud garbage.

Agreed --the current UI is soulless beyond belief.

Shifty, I read you are working on a game. Can you tell? Is it going to come out to the Xbox One?

It's in Unity so I hope to release on every platform in existence, but I'm starting with the freebies - Android, iOS, and probably PC. I'll then try to navigate the console space. I've heard tell Sony are being less friendly with the Indies now that they're a success and everyone wants a piece of the pie. MS might be more accommodating.

Or to be more on topic, there's a rumour that Shifty Geezer may create a game that may release on XBox. :D

It's in Unity so I hope to release on every platform in existence, but I'm starting with the freebies - Android, iOS, and probably PC. I'll then try to navigate the console space. I've heard tell Sony are being less friendly with the Indies now that they're a success and everyone wants a piece of the pie. MS might be more accommodating.

Or to be more on topic, there's a rumour that Shifty Geezer may create a game that may release on XBox. :D
hahah, that would be truly awesome, I'd buy it day one --if I have the money, of course.

It would be nice if the main protagonist was an actual shifty geezer in his/her quest for redemption.

I've just heard good things about PS though. Still, Xbox One is a developer's kit and they offered Unity support from the very beginning.

It's in Unity so I hope to release on every platform in existence, but I'm starting with the freebies - Android, iOS, and probably PC. I'll then try to navigate the console space. I've heard tell Sony are being less friendly with the Indies now that they're a success and everyone wants a piece of the pie. MS might be more accommodating. :D

I guess you know it but you can develop on Windows Phone (with Unity), and using the same code for Windows 8.1, Windows RT 8.1 and Xbox One (later).

Yeah, I was surprised to how much the "metro" UI was catching on among various different companies. It made me wonder if there was some intrinsic superiority to it I dont get. I guess the live updating of tiles is something...

I think that UI is half the reason Win Phone flopped (mostly). To me I want essentially windows on my phone, and ironically, it's Android that more or less delivers exactly that, while actual Windows phone went a whole nother direction! Consequently, I've always owned an Android phone. It behaves exactly like my desktop in Windows 7 basically.

////OTOTOTOT

Hey I Guess it is a little O(N)T, because Xbox uses the same UI. Which I actually dont mind it on Xbox at all. There it seems fine and natural as icons wouldn't work well with a controller.

I guess you know it but you can develop on Windows Phone (with Unity), and using the same code for Windows 8.1, Windows RT 8.1 and Xbox One (later).
Mate thats the whole Idea of unity (I guess the names a hint). Its got nothing to do with MS platforms but practically any platform

heres one of my unity games
auzed.com/webgames/prafectionedgeUL/index.html
playable on PCs/phones/tablets

The problem is A game made for a PC vs one made for a phone is you have to 'dumbdown' a lot of things / code to the lowest common deniminator eg input, graphics readibility. Thus yes it may run on lots of platforms but you're prolly getting a less than ideal experience

I understand that this is off topic but can you expand on this a bit further or point me in the right direction? This is the first I've heard of Sony being less friendly with indies.

And I'm so down for getting your game on XB1.

That's a weird rumor to hear on a day when they just announced 12 more Indie titles coming to PlayStation and had a big Indie showcase event.

I guess I am allowed to say that the MS team is helpful and quick to answer questions. I have not had any experience on the other side, but I have friends that have.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back