News & Rumors: Xbox One (codename Durango)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well they have the Surface talk on Monday as well, so I am hoping for a well done controller snap-in for the devices - maybe that is why they are all the same size now... *I can dream of remote play, can't I?

http://www.engadget.com/2013/09/20/xbox-one-horizontal-only/

Cue the "who would ever put their console vertical anyway??" comments. But to me, the Xbox One was never going to be set up vertical at my home anyway, I thought it might topple over.

Having said that, many people did quite enjoy the option of using their 360 in a vertical position, it took up less space that way.

What are your thoughts?
"we just didn't design the drive for vertical. Because it's a slot loading drive, we just didn't design it for both"

:oops:

That's a stupid answer. Every slot loading drives have always been usable both ways. Wii, WiiU, PS3, PS3-Slim.... None of these consoles had any problem.

"At your own risk" is a very weird warning. Does it mean it will work but your warranty is void? Will it damage the drive or the disc? They don't prevent the drive from operating in the wrong orientation? If they couldn't be bothered to add a 25 cents orientation sensor, maybe they found a problem too late in production. Did they design the drive or did they source it from companies like LiteOn? My guess is that they wanted to source the cheapest possible drive, and ended up with one that is unreliable vertically. I suppose saying "because it's a really cheap drive" would have been the wrong PR move, and it's better to imply it's part of the design.

http://www.engadget.com/2013/09/20/xbox-one-horizontal-only/

Cue the "who would ever put their console vertical anyway??" comments. But to me, the Xbox One was never going to be set up vertical at my home anyway, I thought it might topple over.

Having said that, many people did quite enjoy the option of using their 360 in a vertical position, it took up less space that way.

What are your thoughts?

I never put any of my consoles vertically in my whole life. It always seemed fundamentally unstable, and knowing how fast those discs spin even more so if it got tipped over or something.

Just seems like a bad idea.

Also my current entertainment center doesn't have enough height between shelves anyway.

Maybe it's hard to cool vertical due to the big honking fan? Maybe the fan has trouble spinning & blowing hot air out? Or maybe it's easy to tip over & weighs a lot? So if it fell over it would break or jar something? But I agree their reasoning doesn't seem legit.

Personally, I would have preferred a vertical orientation since that's how I've always had my 360(fat version), but with it being that big I probably wouldn't chance it. Maybe when they shrink it down they will create a box that can stand vertical? Not sure I would wait for that though.

Tommy McClain

With that massive heat sink and all that copper its center of gravity is well below whatever you place it on. I can't see it tipping over. ;)

I thought just about all drives in the age are able to handle vertical or horizontal, so my guess it needs a certain amount of clear intake vents. They did mention that the internal airflow around parts was all maximized, so maybe if you block a side it degrades cooling. I still bet we will be instructed in the manual to keep the sides clear by an inch or so, at least only for high loads.

I never put any of my consoles vertically in my whole life. It always seemed fundamentally unstable, and knowing how fast those discs spin even more so if it got tipped over or something.

Just seems like a bad idea.

Also my current entertainment center doesn't have enough height between shelves anyway.

Agreed. Silly imo

Maybe something related to heat pipes? Can the heat pipes have some liquid?

Heat pipes do have a small amount of liquid in them. The vaporization of it is what makes them capable of moving heat quickly over a longer distance than would happen with the same length of metal.

Properly designed heat pipes shouldn't have much difficulty with gravity. Many have grooves or internal wicks that can draw the condensed fluid back.

I had my 360 vertical next to my AV rack, no kids, no pets, no problem :)

The part that made me think was the "80% horizontal" bit from the EG piece, so 20% vertical, and 20% of the current install base is how many millions (I've no idea)? I would imagine a percentage of those folks would baulk at moving to a horizontal orientation... it just seems like MS enjoy making life hard for themselves recently.

Doesn't sound like the HDMI In will be very good for game uses...

Albert Penello said:
I'll get back with a more detailed story, but long story short it won't be a great experience, and I indicated as much in the interview which wasn't included. HDMI latency is fine for video feeds, but not great interactive.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=82953285&postcount=121

This reply was in response to GameSpot's article about making a big deal about supporting the PS4(or any HDMI Out device) via the HDMI In...

http://www.gamespot.com/tgs/playstation-4-will-work-with-xbox-ones-hdmi-pass-through-port-6414735/

So it sounds like playing a 360 game via the port wouldn't be a great experience either. Bummer. Guess at least it could be used for voice chatting with 360 users since you can't do that with a Xbox One. They should just provide 360 backward compatibility, then I'd have no reason not to get an Xbox One.

Tommy McClain

Found this thread a bit interesting - Xbox sub reddit

"Me: As someone who is working on systems for both the PS4 and X1 there will be little to no difference on multiplatform titles. Both systems have similar features and work phenomenally well performance wise. Everyone should be super happy."
wait are you a dev?
TheSmack said:
I'm a software test engineer for SDKs. I don't technically make games, but test and fix the tools used to create them. I get to see in-production titles, to help fix errors or programming glitches in software toolsets.
I don't work for Microsoft, however. I am a contracted worker hired by multiple developers/publishers.

Also this from Albert - link in regards to the twitter post already posted in this thread.

Sorry no intent to tease. I promised we'd let our architects speak about our system, and we should have something to share soon. Don't expect a bomb, but it should explain in depth our architecture and how the paper specs don't tell the full story. Again, I just spent time at TGS looking at both platforms - after E3, Gamescom, and PAX and I still insist our games look awesome.

Last edited by a moderator:
Found this thread a bit interesting - Xbox sub reddit

Also this from Albert - link in regards to the twitter post already posted in this thread.
Judging by the words of Albert Penello I wouldn't expect a megaton. I have a feeling though that they have an ace up the sleeve and they haven't shown all their cards to disorientate Sony and Nintendo, so they lose their bearings.

One of my theories is now that we know the console has 8GB of flash memory, now they can free up more resources for games, exactly the amount of memory the OS needs to run, since it is stored in the flash memory and not within the main RAM.

Either that or they explain some of the allegedly missing parts of the architecture, although Gipsel's theory on where the rest of the cache resides -5MB from those 47MB aren't listed in the official documents and presentations- seems very plausible.

Flash is a "storage" resource, it cannot help with memory needs. It's about 2,000 times slower than memory, and latency is 10,000 times worse.
The missing 4MB is interesting, the best theory brought up so far, I think, was the esram and other buckets of ram having ECC. It adds up perfectly, but it could be something else.

One of my theories is now that we know the console has 8GB of flash memory, now they can free up more resources for games, exactly the amount of memory the OS needs to run, since it is stored in the flash memory and not within the main RAM.

I wouldn't count on that theory so much. The most likely scenario is that MS needed a cheap memory source for their OS/VM/Apps/Dashboard to reside/run without using up a ton of main system memory. I don't see the 3-3.5 GB of DDR-3 OS allotment going away anytime soon.

As you know, this isn't nothing new?! Thin Clients/Terminals/Cellphones have been doing this for years. Incorporating the OS on internal flash modules, thus reducing (not eliminating) usuage of the main system memory. This also helps reduce unit cost and footprint revisions - by not incorporating more exspensive ram modules. The reason you don't see a 12GB XB1/PS4 running around... ;)

Flash is a "storage" resource, it cannot help with memory needs. It's about 2,000 times slower than memory, and latency is 10,000 times worse.
If not for the write issues, flash would be ideal for tiled resources. You don't need high BW, just low latency, and flash is an order of magnitude (or two?) better than HDDs, far more so than an HDD's who's head is also skipping about saving video and loading webpages and whatever.

Judging by the words of Albert Penello I wouldn't expect a megaton. I have a feeling though that they have an ace up the sleeve and they haven't shown all their cards to disorientate Sony and Nintendo, so they lose their bearings.

Either that or they explain some of the allegedly missing parts of the architecture, although Gipsel's theory on where the rest of the cache resides -5MB from those 47MB aren't listed in the official documents and presentations- seems very plausible.

n4bq5s.jpg

As you can see from the above photo the eMMC4.5 Nand is used in the manner Shortbread described. MLC of 8GB size would eventually wear out the cells if there was data being constantly written to its cells. In the hypothetical "virtual memory" for games situation in which its used for games, 8GB mlc nand does not give much space in terms of wear distribution and once those cells are worn out game performance would unexpectedly drop. Developers would have to design around 8GB flash wearing out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back