News & Rumors: Xbox One (codename Durango)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Packaging prints everything on 1 big sheet. Yeah the regular box might be simpler (CMYK passes can be fast + 1 Pantone green) but you still need 4+1 colors.

Ironically the Day One ed might just require 4 colors, but it requires a lot more ink for the whole box and needs to be printed/dried slower...

Looks to me like the Day Edition box could cost more as it also requires a special, for the half matte half gloss finish.

Old news?

The upcoming EB Games Expo will be the Australian public’s first chance to get a their claws on the Xbox One, with a massive section promised for people to play a trio of new games for the full duration of the show.

Over 100 consoles will be there, with at least three games on offer: Ryse, Battlefield 4, and Killer Instinct. Microsoft is staying mum on whether Battlefield 4 will be singleplayer or multiplayer. There will also be presentations from game makers developing on the One, and the chance to see Kinect 2.0.

The EB Games Expo 2013 runs October 4-6 at Sydney Showgrounds. It looks like some allocations of tickets are already sold out – you can grab them here.

http://www.kotaku.com.au/2013/07/get-your-first-play-on-the-xbox-one-at-eb-games-expo/

Battlefield 4 on real Xbox One hardware?

Yup, I expected it to be native 1080p because the game doesn't seem to be so taxing on the graphics.

Some more news... Major Nelson have said in his podcast that there will be a very big announcement in a couple of weeks. Does it have something to do with the NDA and Volcanic Islands?

http://www.reddit.com/r/xboxone/com...ement_in_next_2_weeks_major_nelson/?limit=500

I really doubt it, unless AMD have decided to stick with standard GCN for volcanic islands. We have had no leaks that suggest the XBONE is volcanic islands infact all the leaks point and it being practically a standard GCN card.

Yup, I expected it to be native 1080p because the game doesn't seem to be so taxing on the graphics.

Some more news... Major Nelson have said in his podcast that there will be a very big announcement in a couple of weeks. Does it have something to do with the NDA and Volcanic Islands?

http://www.reddit.com/r/xboxone/com...ement_in_next_2_weeks_major_nelson/?limit=500

Don't deprive yourself of oxygen waiting for Nelson. His announcements tend to be very anti-climatic. And not because of unrealistic expectations either, but because he usually reveals next to nothing news worthy when he finally makes the call.

As for the NDA, that's probably going to be a whole bunch of nothing as well. But if it means that real engineers and designers of the X1 will be free to talk and do interviews then that's a positive.

Don't deprive yourself of oxygen waiting for Nelson. His announcements tend to be very anti-climatic. And not because of unrealistic expectations either, but because he usually reveals next to nothing news worthy when he finally makes the call.

As for the NDA, that's probably going to be a whole bunch of nothing as well. But if it means that real engineers and designers of the X1 will be free to talk and do interviews then that's a positive.

I agree, almost every time he 'announces' something, it is a let down. He appeals more to the casuals which is fine but I don't expect much from him anymore.

We have had no leaks that suggest the XBONE is volcanic islands infact all the leaks point and it being practically a standard GCN card.

I agree that there isn't really anything to suggest Durango is VI based, but there is equally absent fact to support your second statement. Actually, the incorporation of quite a high speed block of low latency esram is enough to turn your wishful thinking on its head.

I agree that there isn't really anything to suggest Durango is VI based, but there is equally absent fact to support your second statement. Actually, the incorporation of quite a high speed block of low latency esram is enough to turn your wishful thinking on its head.

Standard GCN as in the CU's and all of the basic building blocks are standard GCN. Its not wishful thinking to suspect it to be at least based off something normal and not some unknown brand new architecture.

From Phil Spencer @Japan:

• The possibility for the upclock of the CPU of the console surfaced in the summer during the final stage of the development of the hardware. It turned out that there was a little margin of improvement, since engineers normally estimate hardware specs conservatively at first. Spencer thinks it’s good news for developers.
  • The number of pre-orders is unprecedented when compared to the original Xbox and the Xbox 360. It’s “far beyond expectations.” Microsoft is working to be able to provide as many units as possible at launch.
  • Spencer feels that the line up between launch and the 2014 holiday season is great, with a variety of titles like Titanfall and Halo. He also feels that if the launch of the games will be successful then the Xbox One will be successful as well.
  • When asked if launching for 100 dollars more than the PS4 is an disadvantage, Spencer responds that the Xbox One can provide a full service, including the ability to use the cloud, and that’s great value both for developers and for gamers. He feels that fans should judge the value of the console based on that.
  • A stand-alone version without Kinect is not being considered, as Kinect is essential for the Xbox One because many important features of the console won’t work without it.
  • Japan is still an important market for Microsoft. Spencer feels that titles like Metal Gear Solid V and Dead Rising 3 will appease the Japanese audience. Also, the space required for Kinect to operate has been reduced, and that will help its acceptance in Japan, where rooms are normally smaller.
  • Spencer had a meeting with some Japanese developers about the release of Xbox One in Japan. He intends to develop an exclusive title in collaboration with those developers. It will be announced officially closer to the Japanese launch of the console.
  • Working with Japanese developers for Blue Dragon and Lost Odyssey was a wonderful experience, and this time he looks forward to the partnership with new Japanese devs. He got a great reaction from them.
  • Since the Xbox One is region free, it’s also advantageous for Japanese developers to develop for the console, since they can get global visibility.

Source: http://www.famitsu.com/news/201309/17040124.html

Standard GCN as in the CU's and all of the basic building blocks are standard GCN. Its not wishful thinking to suspect it to be at least based off something normal and not some unknown brand new architecture.

Too be fair, VI probably isn't drastically new I'm sure it's an incremental update of GCN.

Color me extremely surprised that they are going after Japanese developer exclusives again. Did any of the previous Japanese 3rd party exclusives for X360 do particularly well? I honestly can't remember.

I know there were quite a few of them, but can't remember how well they sold. I know DOA (both titles) did well in Japan, relatively speaking. Giving Xbox 360 some relatively nice early sales numbers which faded fast. But I don't know if they did particularly well in western markets. Although with DOA 4 and Ninja Gaiden 2 selling over a million copies each on a single platform, I guess that would be pretty good.

Regards,
SB

Color me extremely surprised that they are going after Japanese developer exclusives again. Did any of the previous Japanese 3rd party exclusives for X360 do particularly well? I honestly can't remember.

I know there were quite a few of them, but can't remember how well they sold. I know DOA (both titles) did well in Japan, relatively speaking. Giving Xbox 360 some relatively nice early sales numbers which faded fast. But I don't know if they did particularly well in western markets. Although with DOA 4 and Ninja Gaiden 2 selling over a million copies each on a single platform, I guess that would be pretty good.

Regards,
SB
Well, that still rules a lot of Japanese gamers out as I am adamantly unconvinced this is going to work but I am glad another exclusive game is on the works regardless of the success it has in Japan. You must keep trying sometimes, even if the Japanese market is reluctant when it comes to Xbox, it might pay off in the long run.

Hah! Evidently Chinese replacement components for X1 are already on sale...

Replacement shell

for_Xbox_One_Replacement_Shell.jpg

Knockoff AC adapter

740222607_740.jpg

Xbox One can not be used in vertical orientation

http://www.engadget.com/2013/09/20/xbox-one-horizontal-only/

Cue the "who would ever put their console vertical anyway??" comments. But to me, the Xbox One was never going to be set up vertical at my home anyway, I thought it might topple over.

Having said that, many people did quite enjoy the option of using their 360 in a vertical position, it took up less space that way.

What are your thoughts?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back