News & Rumors: Xbox One (codename Durango)

Status
Not open for further replies.
FWIW I have heard that Durango was looking likely to slip, the fact that they've delayed Xbox TV/Yuma (originally planned to launch simultaneously) probably indicates that too.

What do you mean? Had looked like it was going to slip? or still could potentially slip?

I think we'd still see a 2013 launch, but similar to what happened with the 360 (no really availability for 6 months or so) if these yields are true.

FWIW I have heard that Durango was looking likely to slip, the fact that they've delayed Xbox TV/Yuma (originally planned to launch simultaneously) probably indicates that too.

I am going to see if anyone out of GAF has heard anything.

In the meantime someone should analyze the post history of the 'insiders' claiming this rumour to be true. Now thuway and Proelite definitely have access to insider info (whether this particular claim is insider info is another matter) while senjutsusage seems just to be a fanboy judging from his B3D posts, I have no idea about Matt, Bruceleeroy or GopherD. What have they posted that is 'insidery'?

However if a whole bunch of insiders are saying the same thing, plus that stfuandplay website - then this rumour deserves some consideration.

It's very much unlike the rumours of a clock increase where we had no insiders claiming it nor any outlets running stories about it.

We really dont have much more than that in support of the downclock imo.

Did you go to that website? It looks like a joke LOL.

I agree mostly on your "analysis" of the gaffers.
Matt, Bruceleeroy or GopherD

Matt does seem in the know but his post didn't confirm a downclock.

Bruceleeroy dunno, he's a regular poster maybe with some connections? i dont know that he said anything about the downclock either.

I dont think anybody has confirmed the downclock. Anybody lol. And yet 80% of the posts from the peanut gallery in that thread are people saying "damn this is totally confirmed, yup completely confirmed no question, damn XB1 is definitely doomed".

i wish people would stop the self-congratulating and actually pointedly ask gopher and/or matt if they are confirming the downclock. not counting on it though. matt doesn't post much anyway.

Edit: Bruce is claiming Crazy Buttocks on a Train has "confirmed this (downclock) off site". Crazy is a insider, Rangers confirmed. Though I guess even he has been wrong before.

If true that's kinda scary.

If this is true MS is going to be the biggest fail of all time this gen LOL. And I'm gonna love it.

WE ONLY CARE ABOUT POWER. ITS SO OBVIOUS. WE DONT CARE ABOUT SOFTWARE. WE DONT CARE ABOUT FEATURES. EVERYBODY INTUITIVELY KNOWS THIS. EVERYBODY.

Ms deserves to die if this is really true. It'd be mindboggling. I'm going PC+PS4 (maybe, I just hate the controller) if this is true I wont even bother buying an XB1.

If true it's completely over. Balmer better get fired over this, because Xbox is dead.

I am going to see if anyone out of GAF has heard anything.

In the meantime someone should analyze the post history of the 'insiders' claiming this rumour to be true. Now thuway and Proelite definitely have access to insider info (whether this particular claim is insider info is another matter) while senjutsusage seems just to be a fanboy judging from his B3D posts, I have no idea about Matt, Bruceleeroy or GopherD. What have they posted that is 'insidery'?

However if a whole bunch of insiders are saying the same thing, plus that stfuandplay website - then this rumour deserves some consideration.

It's very much unlike the rumours of a clock increase where we had no insiders claiming it nor any outlets running stories about it.
Bruceleeroy has sony inside information, same for thuway.. Gopher'd I have never seen anything he has given out, many just collab with rumors. esram issue is a given btw

Not really. In ten seconds of googling:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=47871129&postcount=1620

We already know as much as we can know (certainly much more evidence than the Durango cores reserved thing) from the Killzone slides PS4 reserves 2 cores.

Can you point me to any prior "accurate" posts of his? The only other one I looked at he was talking about the 8GB of GDDR5, but it wasn't a predictive post, he was just saying third parties didn't know.

I suppose I should take a closer look at him.

It was confirmed by Guerrilla that the hardware done to make the demo wasn't complete,in fact they were even doing audio on the CPU.

So taking that the PS4 will reserve 2 cores based on an old dev kit is not that much accurate either.

Plenty of media outlets have seen the hardware running, while the TV bit was choppy in the wired video it was not bad. We don't even know if it was a weak signal from the sat feed in that video even.

From time-to-time though my media center will momentary stutter when going to a smaller display area.

Saw a few complaints about the channel switching being slow, but I think they are completely forgetting that it could all be from the cable box itself.

It is funny watching gaf over the last few months. Get banned for posting about specs over and above, get crowned a god for posting issues and specs will be lower (even when both end up false on a regular basis). Greatly prefer the level-headed discussion you get here, but I must admit the soap opera at gaf is fun to read at certain times in history.

It was confirmed by Guerrilla that the hardware done to make the demo wasn't complete,in fact they were even doing audio on the CPU.

So taking that the PS4 will reserve 2 cores based on an old dev kit is not that much accurate either.

It is more accurate than any info we have that Xbone reserves two cores.

So I hope you come out and say Xbone does not reserve two as well, nor 3GB RAM :)

interestingly a number of (supposed insider) gaffers seem to be laying damage control that xb1 games are going to look great at e3

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=61386265&postcount=1358

Hopefully not too much cause I hear the games are going to look pretty stellar

thats pretty odd to me.

maybe they are just pre-hedging bets. but by known specs i dont see how xb1 games can look stellar compared to ps4, unless the esram really is special sauce.

ugh, the thing i hate about these rumors is they're just left to fester. i just want to know one way or another!

because if this isn't clarified at e3 we have months and months more of fud ahead.

interestingly a number of (supposed insider) gaffers seem to be laying damage control that xb1 games are going to look great at e3

thats pretty odd to me.

maybe they are just pre-hedging bets. but by known specs i dont see how xb1 games can look stellar compared to ps4, unless the esram really is special sauce.

ugh, the thing i hate about these rumors is they're just left to fester. i just want to know one way or another!

because if this isn't clarified at e3 we have months and months more of fud ahead.

He didn't say they would look stellar compared to PS4, just that they would look stellar. IMO, even with a potential down clock, Xbone still has enough horsepower to provide stellar looking games compared to last gen.

I have no idea how it will look compared to PS4, but I have no doubt that we'll see a "stellar" improvement over last gen.

What do you mean? Had looked like it was going to slip? or still could potentially slip?

I think we'd still see a 2013 launch, but similar to what happened with the 360 (no really availability for 6 months or so) if these yields are true.

No, about six months ago it was looking likely to slip its 2013 launch date, and I'm guessing that's why we aren't getting Xbox TV this year as MS had to pull engineers off that project to get XB1 out the door.

But I definitely think they're going to launch in 2013, I'll try and find out more about this downclock rumour.

Someone should PM Matt to see if he can confirm the downclock rumour.

Edit: Bruce is claiming Crazy Buttocks on a Train has "confirmed this (downclock) off site". Crazy is a insider, Rangers confirmed. Though I guess even he has been wrong before.

If true that's kinda scary.

If this is true MS is going to be the biggest fail of all time this gen LOL. And I'm gonna love it.

WE ONLY CARE ABOUT POWER. ITS SO OBVIOUS. WE DONT CARE ABOUT SOFTWARE. WE DONT CARE ABOUT FEATURES. EVERYBODY INTUITIVELY KNOWS THIS. EVERYBODY.

Ms deserves to die if this is really true. It'd be mindboggling. I'm going PC+PS4 (maybe, I just hate the controller) if this is true I wont even bother buying an XB1.

If true it's completely over. Balmer better get fired over this, because Xbox is dead.

I'm not sure if you're trying to be sarcastic here, but you're insulting xbox fans who genuinely do care about raw power. One of the reasons I got aboard the Xbox train was because of the console power, and the way games took advantage of that. I've become a fan if certain Xbox IP's over the years and I always want those games to to be represented in the best possible way. I won't be able to play a Halo 5 on the One having seen games that look twice as good on PS4. That was the reason I couldn't get into PS2 games, I experienced much better on Xbox. So any rumour of the Xbox beeing even more weaker is completely devastating to me, because I want the games I love to be represented in the best possible way.

thats pretty odd to me.

We already have some stellar looking games this old gen, even more so when it has great art direction. So considering the new tech the games will be great, and the devil will be in the finer details don't you think? (particles, effects, render resolution, frame rates, etc)

While I wanted better specs from both companies, I do think at the end of the day I will still be much happier. I just hope the new DS controller does not hurt my hands anymore. I have been a PC gamer since my first 8086 as a kid, not counting Atari 800xl, TI, etc. I am really excited to see what games we are getting for the consoles next week, we are finally at a generation where even bad games should look good. Gone are the days of racing games where you are not sure exactly where the road is turning (xbox/ps2 were god awful here).

I usually assume most stage demos are faked in some form or another. I'm surprised Microsoft would have started this console so late that it would be in such bad shape at this point.

Hopefully there are some more reliable sources that will hint at what's going on. I don't have a huge amount of trust in forum "insiders".

I am confused, but maybe this is really telling us something about the 3 competitors, Sony has without any doubt had people working on the PS4 since the PS3 was done, maybe not many but i am pretty sure they had people on the job, looking at the PS3, what went wrong and what they should do to fix it. The Playstation was and is a big part of Sony.

Nintendo.. ehmm well i dunno, decided to build a WII2 with a tablet controller as cheap as possible and sell it for to much, because... pink pigs..?

Microsoft on the other hand, they have had a very busy time doing Tablets, Phones, WIndows 8/RT, Azure, Outlook.com. They have a bunch of brilliant people, but they can only do so much with their time. Maybe they had their resources spread to thin? I just find it .. confusing and a bit unbelievable that they should have lost their focus on XB1. The good thing is that when they need to, they can really throw everything they have at a problem, especially when it's software. Hardware on the other hand..

No, about six months ago it was looking likely to slip its 2013 launch date, and I'm guessing that's why we aren't getting Xbox TV this year as MS had to pull engineers off that project to get XB1 out the door.

But I definitely think they're going to launch in 2013, I'll try and find out more about this downclock rumour.

Someone should PM Matt to see if he can confirm the downclock rumour.

i've pmed him recently, he doesn't respond.

probably not wanting to get involved in giving out more than terse info, etc.

plus he does not seem to post very much, and that mostly off topic. he probably only even logs in once a day.

It is more accurate than any info we have that Xbone reserves two cores.

So I hope you come out and say Xbone does not reserve two as well, nor 3GB RAM :)

Those two things are both confirmed by MS from the round table.

The game is loaded in memory and is fully running. The game has full access to the reserved system resources, which are six CPU cores, 90 percent of GPU processing power, and 5 GB of memory. The game is rendering full-screen and the user can interact with it.

http://kotaku.com/the-five-possible-states-of-xbox-one-games-are-strangel-509597078

I'm not sure if you're trying to be sarcastic here, but you're insulting xbox fans who genuinely do care about raw power. One of the reasons I got aboard the Xbox train was because of the console power, and the way games took advantage of that. I've become a fan if certain Xbox IP's over the years and I always want those games to to be represented in the best possible way. I won't be able to play a Halo 5 on the One having seen games that look twice as good on PS4. That was the reason I couldn't get into PS2 games, I experienced much better on Xbox. So any rumour of the Xbox beeing even more weaker is completely devastating to me, because I want the games I love to be represented in the best possible way.

i wasn't being sarcastic...

Yes, Shit Does Happen.

What has IBM got to do with XB1? I don't believe this rumour at all, but your argument isn't very solid because engineering mistakes and faults do happen. "Do you think MS and AMD's aren't smart enough to be able to design a console that doesn't burn itself up and have massive failure rates? Do you really think Intel, the world leaders in chip design, are going to be stupid enough to make a CPU with a fatal floating-point calculation error?" Shit happens, as the saying goes, and no amount of experience or brilliance is an impenetrable defence to that

The argument against the rumour needs to based in engineering understanding, not corporate reputations (especially for companies not involved in the product!).

As for IBM my argument is that the Xbox One follows in the footsteps of the 360 design (eDRAM) and then shrink (first APU) and that IBM was heavily involved in that design.

I also have heard that a number of key IBM guys moved to MS for the Xbox One SOC effort.

Also, the common platform alliance involves IBM.

The common platform alliance probably does what Intel does: Runs massive SRAM chips on a new process. (One of the first circuits they run, pretty early in the process development.) It is a key way they characterize yield and performance.

But keep in mind that if it is 6T or 8T then it would seem to be rather similar to the L1 and L2 which I am pretty sure is not having issues. I would be really shocked if the APU portion had issues with the L1 and L2. All of the recent AMD large CPUs have a good chunk of cache on them and I have heard zero about issues there.

Your counter arguments are certainly true as those things did occur. So yes, engineering mistakes happen all the time. But this rumor does not smell right to me at all.

Take a look at this Intel tech PDF:

http://download.intel.com/pressroom/kits/events/idffall_2009/pdfs/IDF_MBohr_Briefing.pdf

What I am saying is strongly rooted in engineering understanding.

That PDF should help with the SNR on this issue. They know LOTS about the SRAM capability long before any CPU manufacturing starts in a process. And those are LARGE SRAMs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back