*New* Lost Odyssey Demo Footage + TGS Trailer

1up's review of the battle system sounds quite good:

Lost Odyssey's battles, while conventional turn-based affairs, are more engaging than you'd think. Rather than simply hitting a single button and breezing through enemies, you've got to enter each encounter -- yes, even the regular ones -- with a well-thought-out battle plan. Your attacks are based on timed button presses, not by simply hitting the X button and waiting for the battle to end, so you've got to keep on your toes at all times. Furthermore, each dungeon caps experience after a certain point, so grinding is refreshingly unnecessary -- especially welcome, given the load times. And since you acquire an "auto-escape" ability early on, you rarely find yourself in a battle you have to fight. The level caps also mean that bosses are real threats; you can't just power-level and hope to overpower them. Each boss encounter is like a puzzle, and there's definitely a "right way" and a "wrong way" to engage the enemy.

Lost Odyssey's ability system also requires more than the usual cursory attention. The immortal characters -- Kaim, Sarah, Seth, and Ming -- require "linking" with mortals to learn new skills and abilities. Unfortunately, this also means that you might have to keep certain characters (such as the aforementioned annoying brats) in your party a little more often than you'd like. But this means that you also have to use each character; nobody ever stands on the sidelines for too long, so you end up with a well-rounded party.

That's a really good review - sets up your expectations about what the game does well and what it doesn't do so well. Not too much mention of the difficulty though. Sorry, Shifty, I know you hate review commentary ;)

To an extent I'm guessing this game is going to be the opposite of Blue Dragon for me. I loved BD right up until late Disc 3. The spell/class system allowed me to make an awesome team that kicked all sorts of poo-shaped butt thanks to its heavy customisation... but in the end, I didn't care about the characters at all, and just thought the ending cinematic wasn't going to be worth the effort, when I'd gotten what I wanted out of the game. I can't believe some of you got 1000 achievements on that one :oops: LO, I imagine, will be one where I'm going to see the flaws early on, but come to love the game for what it does well - characters and story.

Just put in a few more hours today... this is one hard game. I had to attack the
worm bosses
five times before winning. It's strange, because when I finally won I actually won because I worked out an awesome strategy, and actually ended up with a full party with near-full health. It's definitely a tough game, but it also makes me think they designed it to require a bit more thought than just thinking to yourself, "oh, I'll just reload and level up for better spells/resistances for a while". If anyone gets stuck here, I'll post my strategy.

I figured out why I'm getting my ass so badly in the big boss battles, too, thanks to reading the manual after my session tonight. The elements in this game work differently than most RPG's... they work in a cycle, where going Water damages Fire damages Wind damages Earth damages Water. You can't just cast fire against water and water against fire. Thinking about how I could have spent less time struggling earlier on now makes me laugh. RTFM, as they say ;)

uh... wow... talk about penny pinching. At least they gave some protection for the extra discs. It's not nearly as bad as what happened with the Halo 3 Limited Collector's Edition case. :p

That's incredible! Definitely a bunch of tight-wads! How much would it have cost them to provide a nice package rather than give their customers some shabby presentation, and a silly fanboy wars string the BluRay bow?

4 disc DVD cases retail locally for $.70 individually, while single cases retail for $.20 when bought in a 100-pack. So there's not much cost difference there...

It's funny, because at face value multiple discs is objectively a very small issue, if handled right. But by doing this, MS compounds the issue in a big way, but introducing real, meaninfgul drawbacks such as scratched/unplayable discs.

Got the game yesterday, clocked about 5 hours so far, my impressions:

- Graphics are a mixed bag. THe character models are probably the best I've seen on the 360, hands down, and some of the real time cut-scenes are absolutely jaw dropping. On the flip side, many of the environments are very mediocre.

- Gameplay, I really like it so far. It has the high production values of a FF, with a cool skill linking system, a minimal amount of random encounters and very good balance in the boss battles.

The skill system allows the immortals to gain new skills in two ways. They can not learn skills through levelling up, only mortals can do that. Instead they can equip an accessory, and learn the skill associated with the accessory, and you can link with one of your mortal characters and learn any of the skills they posess. I like it alot.

The ring system allows you to equip a ring to modify your attacks, and it also has a Ring Construction system, which allows you to build rings using different components which you find, or purchase in stores. The rings can be equiped mid-battle, which adds a nice level of strategy to the gameplay.

The sprint function is very nice to have, you can literally rip through most areas if you don't feel like fighting.

- Audio - Spectacular in my opinion, absolutely top notch.

- Story. The story is pretty darn good. While it certainly has it's goofy moment, and is quite over the top, it's very intriguing and I'm really looking forward to seeing how it unfolds. I actually care about the story in this game, which is not the norm for me when it comes to JRPG's.

The pacing is a little slow though, but I'm only 5 hours in, I hear it picks up considerably later in teh game. The '1000 Dreams' short stories are very well done, though I found myself skipping quite a few as they take a good 10minutes to get through, and the pacing was already quite slow. The nice thing is that any time you rest in an Inn, you get a chance to go through the dreams you''ve unlocked, and read a story or two.

P.s. The packaging is really not THAT bad. It's a custom case, which has an extra long spindle, all 3 discs fit on there quite securely. Then the 4th disc is tucked under some custom flaps on the other side of the case. Not nearly as bad as I was expecting from the photos.

IMO grinding in JRPGs has always been there, like in most final fantasies, you probably didn't have to grind to beat most bosses but the extra bosses took some serious grinding to beat.

Just getting onto disc 2.

This game is basically FFX, but better in nearly every single aspect.

If you like FFX, you'll love Lost Odyssey. This feels like the true sequel, but one made for adults. The main character alone is about 10x's better(more mature, deeper, more believable) than any of the recent Final Fantasy games.

The depth added by the 1000 Dreams short stories is exceptional.

It definitely stands out on its story. I'm seeing that I've missed a fair few dreams going through the game, so hopefully I can go back and pick them up later. I spent my full Saturday playing this, from 9-5, completely losing track of time! Scary stuff, and I haven't done that in a game for a long time.

I'm on disc 2 now, with my party growing significantly, so I'm having to make some tough choices in terms of how to structure my party. I don't know how the immortal skill learning will work at the top-end, but I don't think you'll just be able to keep learning skills... I hope I'm not limited by skill slots later because I learned some skills I'll never use down the line - eg, I taught Kaim black magic, but he'll never use it. There is an achievement for learning "all skills", so I am scratching my head as to how this will play out. Anyone know?

I'm pretty sure you can just keep learning unlimited skills, that's how it was in Blue Dragon. And they didn't mention anything in the tutorial about a limit.

Btw, are you using your Slot Seeds to add new active slots?

Yeah I know BD let you basically make an uberteam that knew everything... just that the achievement (Skill Master Kaim - Master all of Kaim's skills) makes me think this may be different. I believe there's an achievement for each of the other immortals too, though they're secret. Ssshh.

Yeah I've been using my slot seeds. Now I've got all of the immortals though I have Kaim and Seth with eight slots each, and the other two with three each. D'oh! I'm sure I'll get more soon, but I know I should have held back a little more. I do like the idea of having four immortals in my party long term, with mortals just thrown in to learn and teach me new skills. I'm probably going to go for a three-front two-back party, since GC plays such a big part in the game. Two casters is likely to be enough if I can ensure the added person in front keeps them healthier thanks to being a human shield.

lol, ya I did the same with my slot seeds too, spent em all on the first two characters, ah well...

Right now I'm trying to keep all 3 mortals in my party just in order to level them up, and keep unlocking new skills for my immortals to leach. But it definately keeps my party weaker than it could be.

Just finished the game yesterday and despite the technical issues the storyline shines through rather well for the title. From beginning to end I found the story to be well paced and develop better than any Eastern rpg I have played for years. I sincerely hope sales are profitable enough to generate a sequel to this title.

Back