*New* Lost Odyssey Demo Footage + TGS Trailer

ALL RPG's tend to be extremely light on tactics, not very innovative, and a simple treadmill for the vast majority of their "dozens of hours" of gameplay. Except from the occasional boss and sub-boss (where tactics is emphasized merely because of their threat and toughness in general and a heavier emphasis on "strengths and weaknesses")

How was tactics presented in the past? Well, previously there was a lot of trial and error, the occasional "information" spell to cast to find out enemy weak spots... now it's mainly called "read a FAQ if you want to know." And what did it functionally do...? Well, certainly not ensure you WIN. After all, you're playing from the hero's standpoint, and heroes aren't supposed to die to random encounters, so... really, for 95% of the chaff encounters in a game, it makes you win the combat a BIT faster so you can head towards the next plot point, or manage your resources better so you're being THAT much more efficient. You can stress tactics and personal difficulty yourself mainly by moving as fast as you can, so you get to tougher enemies before the designers think you SHOULD be getting to them, so... That's not real design, however; that's being at a different point on the graph or voluntarily trying to take on a big, unknown risk or "above your level" area.

RPG's--JRPG, PC-RPG, and MMO alike--share any number of features, and most specifically THAT feature. The vast majority of combat is there to look cool, make you feel powerful, and stretch out the playtime; unless you're actually playing a full-fledged tactical RPG, the encounters are almost universally chaff, and "tactics need not matter." Why do you think almost every "I like XXX" and "I dislike YYY" comment from fans of one genre or another cluster around story, character design, plot in general and multi-threaded options, cutscenes (and within that "in engine" or "CG"), NPC conversation, how "roleplaying-y" it feels to them (such as "it's important that I play one character of my own construction to be ME")... Certainly tiresome gameplay elements are brought up as well, but usually no broader comparative context, and usually with no analysis of similar tiresome elements of their favored genre. "Taste" is overriding, and "an in-depth tactical analysis of combat" is WAYYYY down on the list.

I don't really understand your complaints, you think they should've been harsher because of the fairly non-innovative combat? You think the score should'be been lower?
You indeed don't understand his complaints, else you wouldn't be harping on "innovative combat," which is something he didn't even bring up. His specific complain was about the "mention of Final Fantasy and comments on JRPG's in general," which is something that FF12 certainly did break in form to good extent. It didn't "innovate combat" wholesale so much as streamline it, and the rest of the game as well.

Random encounters--one of the biggest staples of RPGs but JRPGs especially--was completely removed, as is being FORCED to fight most combats (as in, "trapped areas" or "kill them all to open the gate"). You can avoid as much as you want, and run through almost everything else--though you'll take a bit of damage while doing so. That makes for travel without pointless combat delay and without needing to resort to a "teleport wherever you want to" menu that tends to detract from the world itself feeling solid.

The much-maligned (and IMHO, much-misunderstood) Gambit system is, in a word, glorious. It's called "automatically streamline whatever tasks in the game you find annoyingly repetitive or pointless," and who in heck wouldn't want that in ANY game? How many people ENJOY going through a few submenus to their healer to full up the HP bars on their party outside of combat? (And how often do people curse killing that last enemy too quickly so your healer doing GET a final heal off, forcing you TO use the menu system.) How many FF skills, like stealing, fell by the wayside because they were repetitive, didn't reward you highly, and slowed down combat? Just how FUN is it to hit one button repeatedly to "attack, action stops, attack, action stops, attack, action stops, attack" during a lot of those encounters where you just don't care, and your characters are simply swinging their way through a trivial combat? I mean, people complain about CG cutscenes "taking them out of the game..." Why do they also not complain about continual combat subscreens, transitions, an menu access for even the most trivial tasks?

Meanwhile, you can play FF12 anywhere between "manually do EVERY little thing" to "gambit only the stuff you find most annoying" to "really spend time working on complex programs;" you're not FORCED into any one scheme, unlike almost every other RPG. (Though it would have been nice to toss the "turned base devoutists" a bone and have an option that would auto-stop the live action and switch to a character when their attack came up, because otherwise you're manually timing it and flipping around with the shoulder buttons.) And amusingly, what do the Gambits themselves represent? Basically what every gamer is MENTALLY doing the whole time anyway. They figure out when it's better to use the mana efficient heals, when you need to use the higher-effect ones, when to use consumable items, what to use in-combat versus out, who can be more easily dedicated to one task or another... Eventually, a whole lot of your actions are MENTALLY automatic anyway (and you're not applying any meaningful "active tactics" to them), and with Gambits you could simply make them functionally automatic, without having to bother with multiple key presses, menu switching, or whatever.

FF12 is very much a change-up on the FF format, and IMHO an extremely good one. You can still play what you want, but moreover you can speed up or remove a whole lot of the pointless chaff that's pretty much a way of life on all the other FF's, and JRPGs at large. And meanwhile it makes for a more seamless game, and one where you're looking more at the world and everything in it than tensing up for the next random encounter to find out if you should even remotely care about it. Some things like the License Board were good but milquetoast, and certainly there is still more that can be tuned and experimented with... But FF12 was a league away from earlier games in many ways that I've been hoping for AGES. I'm just hoping they don't backpedal.

Meanwhile, "innovative tactics" in almost all mainstream RPG's are functionally stunted. They're playing around, but mainly what they're playing around in is the border between "turn-based" and "realtime," "on board action" versus "battle board," "single character" to "small party" to "large group" mechanics... How many do you see experimenting in even some of the simplest things tactical games have had for damn near decades? Flanking and rear-arc attacks? Formations? Elevation? Equipment (such as shields) with pronounced situational effects and bypasses? Mainstream RPG's are very much designed away from that kind of complexity, and seemingly has no interest in pulling it in. (Though I'm hopeful with some of the footage I've seen from White Knight Story.) We're seeing more "combos," but then those are nice and showy, can be cinematic, and tend to amount to little more than "multiple PC's getting their attacks off before the enemy."

I'm not holding my breath.

/looks up

--ahem-- Sorry for the lengthy tangent. We now return you to your Lost Odyssey thread, already in progress. :p

I actually agree with a lot of Arwin's post (shock!). I don't think however they're writing the review for an "Xbox only" gamer, but they're definitely comfortable with the fact that this game does what JRPG's have done for decades, and does it extremely well. Some sites have problems with this - look at Gamespy's 2.5/5. Other sites take it at face value, and give solid reviews based on the execution of the concept - hence the 88% on GT. Interesting, have a read of Gamespy's DQ8 review, which got 5/5, but cited the exact same complaints as LO - same concept we've seen before, yet done well. Funny that ;)

I don't think that it makes a big deal about a comparison to Mass Effect - it mentions it once only, in relation to what ME is famous for - it's huge versatility. There's no need to read too much into that.

However, Arwin, I definitely think the other "major" sites will agree with you (Gamespot, 1UP, Eurogamer) and won't be as nice, since there tone of previews have been generally negative. I can see a lot of 7's for this game, which is a shame, since COD4 got rave reviews for tweaking a stale formula, but it doesn't seem to be ok for a JRPG's to do the same. This is a big problem, in my mind, since it will likely cause gamers to think the game is broken or bad, when it's just familiar... two very different things.

It reminds me of Enchanted Arms actually. I nearly skipped this once, due to some negative reviews. I ended up picking it up after reading some positive comments on Penny Arcade about how they were surprised about the narrow reviews the game was getting. Their comic (once again) summed the situation up perfectly.

20060905.jpg

So it's up to what you want, really.

One other thing to note... of the four JRPG's on the 360, two have enemies on the map so you can avoid them as you like, while two have random battles. I know hating random battles is fashionable ATM, but I honestly believe there's a place for them in games... why should we try and make games alike in all ways? The differences in the games - the battle types, the battle system, the magic system, the story, the side missions, etc - are what makes playing them all enjoyable.

One other rant... when the hell did deliveries from Hong Kong start taking so long? I used to get a game I ordered on Monday by the weekend :( I ordered this two Thursdays ago, so I hope it gets here today. Sigh.

ALL RPG's tend to be extremely light on tactics, not very innovative, and a simple treadmill for the vast majority of their "dozens of hours" of gameplay. Except from the occasional boss and sub-boss (where tactics is emphasized merely because of their threat and toughness in general and a heavier emphasis on "strengths and weaknesses")

How was tactics presented in the past? Well, previously there was a lot of trial and error, the occasional "information" spell to cast to find out enemy weak spots... now it's mainly called "read a FAQ if you want to know." And what did it functionally do...? Well, certainly not ensure you WIN. After all, you're playing from the hero's standpoint, and heroes aren't supposed to die to random encounters, so... really, for 95% of the chaff encounters in a game, it makes you win the combat a BIT faster so you can head towards the next plot point, or manage your resources better so you're being THAT much more efficient. You can stress tactics and personal difficulty yourself mainly by moving as fast as you can, so you get to tougher enemies before the designers think you SHOULD be getting to them, so... That's not real design, however; that's being at a different point on the graph or voluntarily trying to take on a big, unknown risk or "above your level" area.

RPG's--JRPG, PC-RPG, and MMO alike--share any number of features, and most specifically THAT feature. The vast majority of combat is there to look cool, make you feel powerful, and stretch out the playtime; unless you're actually playing a full-fledged tactical RPG, the encounters are almost universally chaff, and "tactics need not matter."

Blue Dragon had combat much more complex than that, many battles on Hard difficultty required half a dozen attempts using various strategies in order to win the battle, and LO is beyond BD in complexity according to user reviews I've read at gaf.

Random encounters--one of the biggest staples of RPGs but JRPGs especially--was completely removed, as is being FORCED to fight most combats (as in, "trapped areas" or "kill them all to open the gate"). You can avoid as much as you want, and run through almost everything else--though you'll take a bit of damage while doing so. That makes for travel without pointless combat delay and without needing to resort to a "teleport wherever you want to" menu that tends to detract from the world itself feeling solid.

Wow, like Chrono Trigger did 12 years ago?? Big deal.

And you still had the grind the shit out of that game in order to not get completely smacked down by the bosses. So, random battles or not, a ton of the game still consisted of the same old BS grinding.

LO's design is that there are fewer random encounters, and it basically caps certain areas at certain levels, so there is literally very little need to grind, and all boss battles can be well balanced. As far as I'm concerned, equally as 'innovative' as FF12.

The much-maligned (and IMHO, much-misunderstood) Gambit system is, in a word, glorious.

:rolleyes: In your opinion, don't tell me as if it's fact.

Just how FUN is it to hit one button repeatedly to "attack, action stops, attack, action stops, attack, action stops, attack" during a lot of those encounters where you just don't care,

More fun than as it is to repeatedly fiddle around in a menu system for minutes on end, and then just basically stand there as your characters fight.

Meanwhile, you can play FF12 anywhere between "manually do EVERY little thing"

The system they implemented makes doing this a complete chore, manually pause each character one-by-one, selecting only one command at a time... so while it's possible, it's overly cumbersome and annoying to do.

FF12 is very much a change-up on the FF format, and IMHO an extremely good one.

Good for you. It's still not an innovatove title for JRPG's in general, only for the series itself. So there's absolutely no reason that every other JRPG ever made needs to be compared to it. Sorry, it wasn't that great and I've seen it all before in other titles.

Meanwhile, you can play FF12 anywhere between "manually do EVERY little thing" to "gambit only the stuff you find most annoying" to "really spend time working on complex programs;" you're not FORCED into any one scheme, unlike almost every other RPG. (Though it would have been nice to toss the "turned base devoutists" a bone and have an option that would auto-stop the live action and switch to a character when their attack came up, because otherwise you're manually timing it and flipping around with the shoulder buttons.) And amusingly, what do the Gambits themselves represent? Basically what every gamer is MENTALLY doing the whole time anyway. They figure out when it's better to use the mana efficient heals, when you need to use the higher-effect ones, when to use consumable items, what to use in-combat versus out, who can be more easily dedicated to one task or another... Eventually, a whole lot of your actions are MENTALLY automatic anyway (and you're not applying any meaningful "active tactics" to them), and with Gambits you could simply make them functionally automatic, without having to bother with multiple key presses, menu switching, or whatever.

I think the gambit system worked fairly well, but not nearly as well as you make it seem. the biggest and maybe only problem of it was the fact that, you had to collect or find the gambits... I mean WTH was up with that! The system should have been designed so, that any order that the player can give manually, should have also been able to use as a gambit immediately.

Now I had to play 30h to get some gambit and until that point I had do things manually like always. It was basically the last half of the game, that I had collected enough gambits to make the system worthwhile (meaning that I didn't have to change the gambits often or give orders to my team.).

Last edited by a moderator:
Good for you. It's still not an innovatove title for JRPG's in general, only for the series itself. So there's absolutely no reason that every other JRPG ever made needs to be compared to it. Sorry, it wasn't that great and I've seen it all before in other titles.

But the biggest problem I had is that they compared it to the FF series specifically. At the very least they could have said up to FF10-1 or something. Also, their comment on JRPG's in general remains false - Final Fantasy XII is just the most obvious example I could think of, especially as it combines my two biggest complaints about the LO review.

Incidentally, yes, I consider it very likely that the Gametrailers reviews are written by different people, and read by the same.

I'm one of those few people that found FFXII "innovations" worse than what was there before...
For me LO being closer to FFX is a good thing. Although the mention of ME in the GT review is somewhat irrelevant. Those two games have IMO nothing in common except the fact that they share the same acronym...
I'll be waitting for some more reviews on it, but I think that it'll be great at least until FFXIII arrives!
One thing that bothers me and don't take it as trolling, is disk swapping... I hope that it's not a constant thing.
I know, I'm lazy...!

It's here :)

Quick impressions after a few hours...
  • Love the "Thousand Years of Dreams" sequences. It's a bit of a cheap way to extend playtime, but it really adds to the game's storytelling aspect without taking the tacky bolted-on sidequest route.
  • I think the game looks pretty ugly so far. Very UE3, with decent character models and blah environments. Hoping this picks up a little more later into the game. The framerate is average, but loadtimes are quick.
  • Hard! The first boss (the Griffin) owned me a few times before I finally beat it. I've never had that happen to me in a JRPG before... normally they ease you into it. I guess I better slow down a bit before plowing on
Overall it definitely seems to fill my "vampire" type story-line of infinite time = infinite emptiness. Looking forward to more when I happen to have a few more spare hours.

Anyone else actually played it yet? There's a lot of arguing in this thread, so I'm curious how many of you have the game :p

Oh and Daozang: a 60+hr game over 4 discs means 15 hours per disc. Not sure what your definition of "constant" is but if that doesn't meet your needs, don't try and watch any of the LOTR films on DVD ;)

Oh and Daozang: a 60+hr game over 4 discs means 15 hours per disc. Not sure what your definition of "constant" is but if that doesn't meet your needs, don't try and watch any of the LOTR films on DVD ;)

That's good to hear. I was afraid it would require to change dvds when back tacking. I guess everything but the FMVs fit into one dvd and switching is required to progress the story through HD videos.

And hey, for a 3 hour movie, it's not bad to have a break in the middle! Now where are my LOTR Blu ray edition disks eh???:devilish:

Just wondering before I get the game myself and I haven't really read much about it, but if the character is immortal, then how can you lose a battle... What happens to the character when you lose in a battle?

Just wondering before I get the game myself and I haven't really read much about it, but if the character is immortal, then how can you lose a battle... What happens to the character when you lose in a battle?

The way I understand it, the only difference between mortal and immortal is basically a timed auto-phoenix down. But if your whole party is in this state, it's game over anyway. Since there is a phoenix down equivalent for mortal characters, it's really just a subtle difference.

The thing I like most about this game so far (not having played it) is the level cap, making grinding less necessary. I've so far never grinded in any of the games I played (mostly Final Fantasy - among others 7,8,10, a tiny bit of 10-1, and 12), and never having grinded any, I always end up suddenly and fiercely getting stuck - though I do admit to getting stuck a little sooner because of a lack of patience/time. ;)

I'm not sure if it works better than grinding, but it makes the game a little more smooth and you don't end up accidentally under or over grinding, so that you get a bit more balanced challenge.

Wow, like Chrono Trigger did 12 years ago?? Big deal.
Do you not bother to read? His point was in how it broke tradition with other FF's. Not with other JRPG's or RPG's in general. ...and how it was not mentioned while "Final Fantasy" was used as an overall descriptor in the interview, despite 12's shifts, and what looks like it might continue in the 13's.
And you still had the grind the shit out of that game in order to not get completely smacked down by the bosses. So, random battles or not, a ton of the game still consisted of the same old BS grinding.

LO's design is that there are fewer random encounters, and it basically caps certain areas at certain levels, so there is literally very little need to grind, and all boss battles can be well balanced. As far as I'm concerned, equally as 'innovative' as FF12.
Actually, from what I encountered, I had little need to "grind" in FF12 either. Unless I was SPECIFICALLY running through combat and avoiding it, my XP kept up rather well. Admittedly there were some bosses who would be a LOT harder if you hadn't done a subquest to weaken them, but even then it might just be a "frickin' tough fight" as opposed to "automatic game over, come back when you're level 40." (Adjustable by how your build your characters, of course. But that's also common to any RPG which allows for free-building with your experience.)

My overarching point, however, is that pretty much all you do in RPG's outside of boss encounters is "grind." While not of the "get to level 10 before you can continue" or "kill 100 large rats before the plot advances" type, it's still the "fight a bunch of easy, untactical encounters where all you're really paying attention to is how to end the fight quicker so you can move on, or make sure you don't have to use up a consumable before you reach the next rest point." It takes a bit to learn a new combat system, but after familiarization has set in, there's usually little surprise or challenge until you get to the next boss or sub-boss. At that point, the "talented design" seems to be in timing just how you likely progressed so that they can design said boss to be a challenge and not a steamroller.

In your opinion, don't tell me as if it's fact.
If I recall correctly, pretty much EVERYTHING that comes out of out mouths regarding--well--anything is an opinion. Most certainly what we think about games and their systematics.

More fun than as it is to repeatedly fiddle around in a menu system for minutes on end, and then just basically stand there as your characters fight.
Then why not control one character actively while your others are Gambitted how you want? I normally was at the helms of my primary mage anyway, since magic targetting and area affects are harder for the AI to control properly. And if I was bored of that, I'd switch to a melee for a while. Not that hard, is it? You had a bit more downtime (waiting for your next action to cycle) than you would otherwise, but you could use that to set up your next attacks, so you STILL didn't have to slow down gameplay one bit.

The system they implemented makes doing this a complete chore, manually pause each character one-by-one, selecting only one command at a time... so while it's possible, it's overly cumbersome and annoying to do.
Um... That's pretty much how the games have CLASSICALLY worked. The game auto-pauses and waits for you to insert a command, then moves on until it needs your input again. Certainly games would flip between concentrations, from "round combat" to FFX's individual turn-based to Active Time Battle (where the main difference was that there was no pausing so you were pressured to keep your speed up), but it's not unheard of. And as I said, it would have behooved them to add an option to make the game auto-pause and auto-switch to the right character when their next action came up, which would have made it close to FFX's system (nearly identical if they'd added an initiative bar) without compromising anything else, and removed the manual tedium for people who really wanted to go that route.

Good for you. It's still not an innovatove title for JRPG's in general, only for the series itself.
...which is specifically what he said and what his complaint was about. "The game is presented as if it is perfectly normal and just what you would expect in the line of Final Fantasy games..."

Even in regards to JRPG's in general, it's still a notably big anomaly. (Especially since it's a Final Fantasy title, really.) Most games don't "innovate" so much as "take an old idea or one from another platform and genre and try to make it work well," and while FF12 doesn't take bring anything truly new to the table, it's still a large break in form, and takes certain concepts a lot further down the road than they've been before.

I think the gambit system worked fairly well, but not nearly as well as you make it seem. the biggest and maybe only problem of it was the fact that, you had to collect or find the gambits... I mean WTH was up with that! The system should have been designed so, that any order that the player can give manually, should have also been able to use as a gambit immediately.
It's not the end-all-be-all by any stretch; I just find the system mischaracterized a lot or complained about for ONE reason while ignoring all others. I'm not surprised that they put "levelling" into the Gambit system either, though. I mean, it's still an RPG, right? ;) They're certainly XP and collection-fests, if nothing else.
Now I had to play 30h to get some gambit and until that point I had do things manually like always. It was basically the last half of the game, that I had collected enough gambits to make the system worthwhile (meaning that I didn't have to change the gambits often or give orders to my team.).
I never really felt the pinch, but I guess it all depends on our playstyle. There were certainly gambits I would have LOVED to have earlier on, but I didn't feel constrained by them because I mainly used gambits to heal appropriately, do things efficiently that I wouldn't bother with much otherwise (like steal or Libra), heal, take care of incaps or the most annoying status effects, and auto-attack and perhaps auto-concentrate on a particularly wounded foe. All that you seem to get at a pretty low level, and after that it was more like "ooooh, I got what now? Cool! What can I do with it?"

What you're suggesting is that they effectively give you everything to begin with, because there's really nothing on the gambit list that you can't do mentally... you'd only be limited in your response by what abilities your characters have, and what equipment they're carrying.

The way I understand it, the only difference between mortal and immortal is basically a timed auto-phoenix down. But if your whole party is in this state, it's game over anyway. Since there is a phoenix down equivalent for mortal characters, it's really just a subtle difference.

The thing I like most about this game so far (not having played it) is the level cap, making grinding less necessary. I've so far never grinded in any of the games I played (mostly Final Fantasy - among others 7,8,10, a tiny bit of 10-1, and 12), and never having grinded any, I always end up suddenly and fiercely getting stuck - though I do admit to getting stuck a little sooner because of a lack of patience/time. ;)

I'm not sure if it works better than grinding, but it makes the game a little more smooth and you don't end up accidentally under or over grinding, so that you get a bit more balanced challenge.

One other good thing is the XP earned per member in any battle depends on your level... so if you're neglecting certain members of your team and swap them in late in the game, it takes no time at all to get them up to the same level as the rest of your squad. I very clever mechanic that solves the "I'm having trouble so I'll grind until I win" mentality of many RPG's.

Just watched the 1up show, they seemed pretty high on the game, spent most of the time on their complaints, but in the end all agreed that Mistwalker had redeemed themselves from Blue Dragon. Very high praise for the story as well.

Can't wait to pick this up tomorrow, probably be the first game I've bought in a long time.

They mention I think they gave it a 7.5, right? At least that's what I vaguely recall from the 1up yours show.

I really dislike this game. I can't recommend this game to anyone to be honest. Blue Dragon was at least kinda charming.

I really dislike this game. I can't recommend this game to anyone to be honest. Blue Dragon was at least kinda charming.

I've been reading alot about LO the last week or so on various sites, and by far you seem to be the most tact :eek:

Care to share your thoughts about why you dislike the game? :smile:

Back