*New* Lost Odyssey Demo Footage + TGS Trailer

You'd have to be a moron not to understand that JRPGs with tons of CGI movies like FF will take up enourmous amount of space in HD.

It brings up the point though that extra dics can actually be seen by the consumer as a value add. Almost a bragging point. 4 discs makes it seem like one really huge game..

Well, I'll continue my one-man hype train for LO since there's next to no comment on the game here. I thought people complained that there were too many shooters on 360, but when different types of games pop up no one talks about them (poor Overlord sales :( )

Anyway! Play-Asia has the English Asian region release as PAL compatible. I ended up having this delivered for less than $AUD60. That's slightly more than half price. Life is good!

Is it true getting into battles takes a long time :?:

From what I've read they've optimised the game a lot since its initial release, where load times were quite long - it was initially something like 30 secs+ to get from world map to ground level playing. Check youtube for before-and-after comparisons to get a feel of exactly how much has changed.

As I've mentioned a few times, I'm hoping the execution of the story in this game lives up to my expectations more than anything. The concept of living forever is something I'd have expected to be tackled in more games/RPG's. The flashback-type parts are said to be the highlights of the game, so I'm pretty stoked there.

I have read though that the combat is quite tough and it they have level caps per area to prevent grinding. To me that's a good thing since it seems to discourage the poorest RPG-staple of requiring me to hunt out baddies (random or otherwise) aimlessly in order to progress. Basically that's cheap in my eyes, and I've only needed to do that in what I'd consider to be poorly balanced areas of games. I'd call out Eternal Sonata on this one, since one of the boss battles - Dolce on the pirate ship - was nigh-impossible without a little grinding. If you can't win with skill, you should be encouraged to learn to play the game better - not run around for a couple of hours levelling until you can brush past.

All IMHO of course!

Oh so they've fixed things? :D

It seems like a very well designed game (story, locations, execution). After hearing about the issues with the game (I suppose the usual sites were using imported copies as a preview), my interest kinda dropped. I can't seem to find comparison videos on youtube. What search parameters (besides the game name) should I be using :?:

Ah... Blim Blim says otherwise:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=9522574&postcount=114

Following further, the problems are not that bad? I'll still get it...sometime when I have time. :p

Loadings are exactly the same as the Japanese version. The few videos showing loadings on youtube were done by someone with an obviously dying DVD drive.
And the tearing/slowdowns are also still there.
As far as I can tell the Asian and Japanese version are 100% identical except for the text and voices. Just like it was the case with N3 and BD.

Hrmm that's interesting - so the original crappy load time vid was a dud in itself? Granted Blim himself seems to be guessing at that, but it's good news to hear that it's not too bad.

bleh, what do IGN et al. know anyway? :p The media is fraught with exaggeration!

Though it would have been nice if they optimized things further in the one month difference.

I'm actually looking forward to playing this after seeing bits of the intro and stuff from Gamersyde. :)

I'm all over this game once it hits our shores, it looks top notch. I love the setting, the battle system looks good and if you've played Blue Dragon on Hard, you know Mistwalker knows how to make a nice deep battle system. It sounds like they've balanced the game much better than BD as well.

Anyone know when it's releasing in NA?

I'm all over this game once it hits our shores, it looks top notch. I love the setting, the battle system looks good and if you've played Blue Dragon on Hard, you know Mistwalker knows how to make a nice deep battle system. It sounds like they've balanced the game much better than BD as well.

Anyone know when it's releasing in NA?

Quick check from perhaps not so trustworthy site called wikipedia shows that its releasing in NA in 7 days.

The main char is simply too gay looking but it won't turn me off from this game, hopefully. ;)

I didnt care much for the game up until this week when for some reason, its starting to grow on me :eek:

Im not sure whether to get Mass Effect or this game though. I need to make a decision today because i'll miss the exclusive content if I dont pre-order this game :oops:

From what I've read they've optimised the game a lot since its initial release, where load times were quite long - it was initially something like 30 secs+ to get from world map to ground level playing. Check youtube for before-and-after comparisons to get a feel of exactly how much has changed.

Ridiculously long.

As I've mentioned a few times, I'm hoping the execution of the story in this game lives up to my expectations more than anything. The concept of living forever is something I'd have expected to be tackled in more games/RPG's. The flashback-type parts are said to be the highlights of the game, so I'm pretty stoked there.

It looks like FFX, it speaks like FFX, but it plays much worse...

I have read though that the combat is quite tough and it they have level caps per area to prevent grinding. To me that's a good thing since it seems to discourage the poorest RPG-staple of requiring me to hunt out baddies (random or otherwise) aimlessly in order to progress. Basically that's cheap in my eyes, and I've only needed to do that in what I'd consider to be poorly balanced areas of games. I'd call out Eternal Sonata on this one, since one of the boss battles - Dolce on the pirate ship - was nigh-impossible without a little grinding. If you can't win with skill, you should be encouraged to learn to play the game better - not run around for a couple of hours levelling until you can brush past.

Err...the very first boss appeared without ANY save before him/it and killed the party in 4 rounds. So much for "no grinding".

Bad gameplay decisions, bad higlighting, at least B-class bugs....
Although I think that 5/10 by Gamespy is a bit low, but 6/10 - fits right there.

Yep, 88% on Gametrailers, with a very interesting review, with some nice examples of how well the story is played out. It made me laugh actually, since the GT review said the high point of the game is the story, while the Gamespy review took off points for having an uninspired story - I think it's safe to say the GS reviewer just doesn't dig JRPGs. So there you go.

Last edited by a moderator:
I didn't hear all that many good examples of how well the story is played out, but they do seem to like it.

http://www.gametrailers.com/player/30354.html

My biggest gripe with this review is its mention of Final Fantasy and comments on JRPG's in general. The game is presented as if it is perfectly normal and just what you would expect in the line of Final Fantasy games, and that JRPGs haven't progressed much over the years in terms of gameplay.

If you know anything about JRPGs at all, then how can you not mention Final Fantasy XII? You must either really want to give a game a high score, or have missed it. But if you're even remotely serious as a reviewer of a game like this (let alone games in general), how can you have missed it?

Is the assumption here that 360 owners are a different market that have so little prior experience with JRPGs that all the complains about the lack of progress in the Final Fantasy series up to XII are completely irrelevant, and how well appreciated the complete overhaul of Final Fantasy XII was?

Instead, the reviewer chooses to compare the game with a game like Mass Effect, compared to which the gameplay in these 'traditional' JRPGs is very limited, but the story telling, graphics and sound stand out. I guess he does a good job targeting 360 owners that didn't have a console before or only had an Xbox1, but for previous owners of other platforms like the PS2 he's not doing a great job with this review.

I just ordered mine from Play-asia. 34€+3.5€ shipping, not too bad. Looking forward to get it, after seeing the gametrailers and IGN videoreviews. I'm fine with turn based combat and everything other than the load times seems to be good.

I pre-ordered it yesterday afternoon after going to my niece's party :D

Sorry Mass Effect, you just have to wait a little bit longer :LOL:

If you know anything about JRPGs at all, then how can you not mention Final Fantasy XII? You must either really want to give a game a high score, or have missed it. But if you're even remotely serious as a reviewer of a game like this (let alone games in general), how can you have missed it?
Sounds like the same guy who reviewed FFXII, too.

...or do they have one set of people who write up reviews, but they don't always narrate the videos?

I didn't hear all that many good examples of how well the story is played out, but they do seem to like it.

http://www.gametrailers.com/player/30354.html

My biggest gripe with this review is its mention of Final Fantasy and comments on JRPG's in general. The game is presented as if it is perfectly normal and just what you would expect in the line of Final Fantasy games, and that JRPGs haven't progressed much over the years in terms of gameplay.

Is the assumption here that 360 owners are a different market that have so little prior experience with JRPGs that all the complains about the lack of progress in the Final Fantasy series up to XII are completely irrelevant, and how well appreciated the complete overhaul of Final Fantasy XII was?

Instead, the reviewer chooses to compare the game with a game like Mass Effect, compared to which the gameplay in these 'traditional' JRPGs is very limited, but the story telling, graphics and sound stand out. I guess he does a good job targeting 360 owners that didn't have a console before or only had an Xbox1, but for previous owners of other platforms like the PS2 he's not doing a great job with this review.

Well that's the reason it got 8.8 and not a 9.5. Right?

I've played plenty of RPG's over the last 15 years, and that was a very good review in that it tells me exactly what to expect when buying the game. It describes the combat in detail, the story elements, the exploration it gives an excellent overview of the title.

I don't really understand your complaints, you think they should've been harsher because of the fairly non-innovative combat? You think the score should'be been lower?

He makes a passing reference to Mass Effect, when saying the combat isn't nearly as diverse. Yes, that one sentance was probably aimed at 360 owners who may not be familiar with JRPG's...or it's just an observation. And it's not like other JRPGs would've have faired any better in such a comparison, there's no JRPG that offers combat anything like ME.

As for FF12, you act like it was some sort of big step forward for the genre. As if it set the bar for games to follow. Which is ridiculous. It's an extremely simple real-time combat engine, hardly anything to write home about, and certainly not innovative. Personally I thought it was a very weak implementation...very little strategy, and the gambit system was just annoying and cumbersome.

KOTOR had better, more innovative combat back in 2003. At least they allowed you to queue commands for your entire party quickly and easily.

Back