New 80GB PS3 SKU coming June (MGS4/DS3 bundle)

Titanio

Legend
Seems the 80GB won't disappear altogether..they're manufacturing more for a new MGS4 bundle, with DS3. You'll be able to get the 80GB, MGS4 + DS3 for $499. June 12 seems to be the date.

DS3 will be available for $54.99 also.

http://www.prnewswire.com/cgi-bin/stories.pl?ACCT=104&STORY=/www/story/02-26-2008/0004762983&EDATE=

Sony Computer Entertainment America Introduces Metal Gear Solid(R)4: Guns of The Patriots PS3 Bundle Available in Late Q2 2008 in North America

Company Also Announces Limited-Edition God of War(R) PSP(R) Entertainment
Pack and April Availability of DUALSHOCK(R)3 Wireless Controller for North
America

SCOTTSDALE, Ariz., Feb. 26 /PRNewswire/ -- At its annual retail and
publisher conference Destination PlayStation, Sony Computer Entertainment
America (SCEA) announced details of upcoming PLAYSTATION(R)3 (PS3(TM)) and
PSP(R) (PlayStation(R)Portable) (PSP-2000) hardware bundles with two of the
most highly anticipated 2008 titles. The company also announced the April
2008 availability of DUALSHOCK(R)3 wireless controller in North America.

To coincide with the much-anticipated North American launch of Metal
Gear Solid(R)4: Guns of the Patriots in late Q2 2008, SCEA will introduce a
PS3 bundle, which will include an 80GB PS3, the upcoming blockbuster Metal
Gear Solid(R)4: Guns of the Patriots and a DUALSHOCK 3 wireless controller
for $499 (MSRP).

SCEA also announced the June 2008 availability of the limited-edition
God of War(R) PSP Entertainment Pack for $199.99 (MSRP). The God of War
Entertainment Pack will include a "Deep Red" PSP with God of War himself,
Kratos, silk-screened on the back of the unit, a copy of the highly
anticipated upcoming God of War: Chains of Olympus game for PSP, the hit
comedy movie from Columbia Pictures, "Superbad(TM)," on UMD(TM) (Universal
Media Disc), and a PLAYSTATION(R)Network voucher to download Syphon
Filter(R): Combat Ops from PLAYSTATION(R)Store. The stand-alone version of
God of War: Chains of Olympus launches on March 4, 2008.

"Working closely with our retail and publishing partners and sharing
our hardware and software roadmaps at Destination PlayStation gives us a
great opportunity to outline some key milestones for the year. In response
to incredible demand, we will be manufacturing more 80GB PS3s for North
America and the Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots 80GB PS3 bundle is
an ideal way to offer that continued value to our consumers," said Jack
Tretton, president and CEO, SCEA. "With Blu-ray having won the format war,
our stellar software line-up and a broad product portfolio, we will
continue to drive the incredible momentum we've been generating since last
fall."

SCEA will introduce the DUALSHOCK 3 wireless controller for the first
time in North America in April 2008 for $54.99 (MSRP). DUALSHOCK 3, which
incorporates both rumble and motion sensing SIXAXIS(TM) technologies,
maintains the award-winning design and precise, responsive features of
PlayStation controllers. The added rumble feature, combined with the
SIXAXIS system, enhances the gamer experience with more interactive,
intuitive and immersive game play experience and will work with more than
100 current PS3 titles.

In additional news coming from Destination PlayStation, SCEA announced
Metal Gear Solid(R)4: Guns of the Patriots will be available in North
America in late Q2 2008. A Metal Gear Online "Starter Pack" will also be
launched to support online game play. Gamers can select a single player
experience or take the action online with up to 16 players and battle it
out using the latest weapons and stealth techniques. For those eager to
take on Solid Snake's nemesis, Liquid Ocelot, a nationwide pre-sell
promotion will enable gamers to pre-order Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the
Patriots and be guaranteed access to a multiplayer beta test for Metal Gear
Online scheduled for late April.

April 16th for the DS3, to be precise, apparently (obviously to coincide with GT5 Prologue)

ack why is the sister announcement about the awesome PSP God of War edition getting snubbed in this thread? For those that didn't read the press here is what the bundle is:

* PSP 'deep red' God of War model with Kratos on the back of the PSP
* Superbad movie UMD
* voucher to download Syphon Filter: Combat Ops
* And of course the God of War: Chains of Olympos game

However, really happy to hear 80GB PS3 isn't dead.

Sweet! I'm gonna sell off my 60GB unit and get one of these. I don't need the BC but rather have the dual shock and MGS4. Good job Sony.

It should be mentioned that the PSP bundle will be going for the same $200 price as the current Daxter and Star Wars Battlefront bundles. No mention of the MemoryStick, but I assume a 1GB Pro Duo is still included.

And RobertR1, the backward compatibility of the 80GB isn't that much different than the 60GB anyway, so I don't think you'll be missing much. Everything I've ever thrown at this comes up basically the same, or with just one strange, fairly ignorable error.

Now that's a $50-100 price cut for the 80GB unit. It'll be interesting to guess the price of the 40GB unit.

Technically it's just a "price difference between Motorstorm and MGS4, +$5 for the Dual Shock 3 upgrade" cut. ;)

March is a good month for Sony PSP considering that Crisis Core: FFVII and GoW: Chains of Olympus is coming out. They should of add the Crisis Core bundle to the US as well. That should double dose it's sales.

Now that's a $50-100 price cut for the 80GB unit. It'll be interesting to guess the price of the 40GB unit.

It'll remain untouched. If they changed it, the 80GB would look ridiculous.

As is, getting a 40GB with DS3, GTA4 in April and then MGS4 in June will only cost you slightly more than waiting for the bundle, and getting it with GTA4. I think it's been very carefully crafted so the 40GB remains an attractive proposition in the meantime with the releases coming in April (GTA4, GT5:p) without changing its price. For many people, I'm sure, not waiting two months for GTA4 et al will be worth the slight premium and the smaller HDD.

Well, the 40GB'll probably get a better bundle at the same point. It's not like it would harm anything to put a more current movie in, or include the DS3 with that too.

As is, getting a 40GB with DS3, GTA4 in April and then MGS4 in June will only cost you slightly more than waiting for the bundle, and getting it with GTA4. I think it's been very carefully crafted so the 40GB remains an attractive proposition in the meantime with the releases coming in April (GTA4, GT5:p) without changing its price. For many people, I'm sure, not waiting two months for GTA4 et al will be worth the slight premium and the smaller HDD.
MGS4 is 3 months away... It's normal to prepare for large preorders, but it affects the sales of PS3 units in March - May too. Buyers of this bundle have to skip GTA4. This early announcement of the price may be a decoy to see how competitors react. Since it's a deterrent to stop consumers from spending money for other consoles this March - May, competitors have to react one way or the other. If competitors take an aggressive move, 40GB can become another weapon in June.

Not really this just tarded the 40 gig unit. The new bundle is cheaper than a 40gig+ds3+MGS4. That and you get a bigger harddrive which is huge with all these new games requiring 5 gig installs. If that is not enough add in BC for the new bundle.

I am still holding out for the 299 DS3 SKU BC is meaningless to me I care about price.

Chains of Olympus is the only PSP title I care about, and I will likely pick up the bundle since I don't have a PSP yet. I'm more interested in the media features than anything else. Remote play and B-r playback via memory stick are the features that make me want a PSP. I've never been one for mobile gaming really, I generally am either at home (where I have all my stuff and have no need for a mobile device) or out with friends where I could care less about gaming.

Not really this just tarded the 40 gig unit. The new bundle is cheaper than a 40gig+ds3+MGS4. That and you get a bigger harddrive which is huge with all these new games requiring 5 gig installs. If that is not enough add in BC for the new bundle.

I am still holding out for the 299 DS3 SKU BC is meaningless to me I care about price.

I think that where the 80GB unit provides a lot of value... it should. So what if it's not linear with the 40GB? Truth is, the 40GB has all the features required to sell the console, so I'm not worried it'll continue to sell in the shadow of the new 80GB bundle.

If the argument is why would someone get the 40GB when the 80GB bundle saves 'x' dollars, then certainly that same argument swings into reverse big time if suddenly the 40GB is $299. There has to be weighted appeal somewhere in the lineup.

I think that where the 80GB unit provides a lot of value... it should. So what if it's not linear with the 40GB? Truth is, the 40GB has all the features required to sell the console, so I'm not worried it'll continue to sell in the shadow of the new 80GB bundle.

If the argument is why would someone get the 40GB when the 80GB bundle saves 'x' dollars, then certainly that same argument swings into reverse big time if suddenly the 40GB is $299. There has to be weighted appeal somewhere in the lineup.

The 40 gig is not 299 right now. Why would some one who knows this news not wait and get a lot more value for the dollar. You are going to end up spending over 500 on the 40 gig to get MGS4 and DS3. Might as well get an extra 40 gigs and BC for less. Those 40 gigs are pretty meaningfull now with all these new game with 5 gig installs.

Back